• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Sun and Moon scores Nintendo's biggest ever U.K. debut

Courtesy of Tom Phillips, deputy news editor of Eurogamer:
Pokémon Sun and Moon are Nintendo's biggest ever UK launch. Bigger than any Wii game, even. Incredible.
Bigger than any other Pokémon. Any other 3DS game. Anything on Wii or DS...
Dat Pokémon Go effect.
Hard to put into perspective - Pokémon Sun and Moon managed in one day what Wii Fit sold in two weeks.

Wii Fit sold 305,000 units in its first 2 weeks.
[Week 17, 2008] 01 (NE) WII FIT (NINTENDO) - 215,000 / NEW
[Week 18, 2008] 02 (01) WII FIT (NINTENDO) - 90,000 / 305,000 (-58%)

Absolutely monstrous. I know Nintendo isn't the most popular in the U.K., but this is an astonishing result.

Combined, the games outsold Infinite Warfare and Watch_Dogs 2.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Quite impressive considering how bad the UK market has been for Nintendo this generation.

Stars on Switch will be a system seller next year.

oti

Banned
Some mighty numbers right there, I'm just wondering whether the Pokémon GO players (who never played a mainline Pokémon before) will actually enjoy it that much.

This is a great look for Nintendo heading into the switch event in January, having such a strong game out right now. Advertising was crazy though, I'm sure the ads started in August on kids TV.

My kid who only played Pokemon go before has gone nuts for it.

correojon

Quite impressive considering how bad the UK market has been for Nintendo this generation.

Was thinking the same thing, if Nintendo can turn this towards Switch it could turn out really well for them. They should be also working on something to link Mario Run to the system in someway.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
This is a great look for Nintendo heading into the switch event in January, having such a strong game out right now. Advertising was crazy though, I'm sure the ads started in August on kids TV.

My kid who only played Pokemon go before has gone nuts for it.

Nintendo Classic Mini --> Pokemon Sun & Moon --> Super Mario Run ---> Switch Conference

Nothing stops this train, based Iwata setting everything up for future success.

Orbis

It has had a pretty strong advertising presence here and somewhat anecdotally I've overheard parents asking staff for it in Game. Seems like they've done a pretty good job of getting the word out.

I'll play it someday. Happy Pokemon is still selling so well. I want to wait and see if the Switch rumor is true.

When I went to pick up FFXV there was a mom in front of me. She was picking up Moon although their kids already had Sun, but they wanted both :)

LotusHD

Banned
The best Pokemon game I've ever played. If you own a 3DS, then I definitely recommend it.

It is certainly the only reason I own a 3DS.

Same, although I bought Majora's Mask 3DS, so I'll eventually play that lmao. Also got my friends to both buy a 2DS once they heard this was coming out.

Any numbers from gfk chart-track on 3DS hardware?

I'm curious to know what the gap between FIFA 17's sales this week and the combined sales of Sun and Moon.

random25

Woah. This is the UK that does not care about Nintendo, right?
Dat Pokémon Go effect indeed.

All according to keikaku.

I'm really shocked at this also. Nintendo is practically dead at UK retail. Looks like Pokemon Go very likely helped with this. Here's to hoping they can keep up the momentum.

Santiako

Pokémon GO revitalised the franchise like crazy. Since this summer you see stores carrying Pokémon cards and toys again after like a decade.

Really want to see what Mario Run will do for the company's future.

I was very sceptical at first, but maybe they are right with this approach: using the mobile market to gather brand exposure, and then exploiting the results with your own ecosystem.

Really great results.

Forkball

People have been trying to figure out why big sequels underperformed in the UK this fall.

Turns out everyone was saving their money for Pokémon.

Nintendo Classic Mini --> Pokemon Sun & Moon --> Super Mario Run ---> Switch Conference

Oh yea no disagreement here dude, they've made some very smart moves to relevance again despite the wii u effectively being retired this holiday. Pokemon go, the nes classic and I had totally blanked on super Mario run. I think zelda e3 was a smaller but still contributing tentpole in a weird year that seems to have paid off for them too. They've shriked all the normal models of success and came away gangbusters.

The cool thing is by all accounts it can continue after switch. The momentum they've gained now but a year with a new console, Mario, zelda and the Pokemon port.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
So Pokémon sold more than 300,000 units on its first day, without even counting the rest of the week or Black Friday?
Crazy.

Yes, considering this, and the fact that it was released on Wednesday:

"Hard to put into perspective - Pokémon Sun and Moon managed in one day what Wii Fit sold in two weeks."

Wii Fit sold 305,000 units in its first 2 weeks.

You forgot about

Pokemon GO -->

At the beginning

Rowlet

Banned
Impressive! Could you imagine Nintendo without Pokemon though? Pretty fair to say that their market presence would be significantly lower. Regardless, these are amazing figures.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Impressive! Could you imagine Nintendo without Pokemon though? Pretty fair to say that their market presence would be significantly lower. Regardless, these are amazing figures.

Good thing they invested into it 20 years ago then :p Pokemon wouldn't have existed without them

13ruce

Banned
Deserved Sun and Moon are the best Pokemon games yet (not postgame content wise but the rest is perfect imo, hopefully Pokemon Star fixes that). Would be cool if they pass gen 1 total sales.

This should add another few bumps onto the stock price graph - which has bounced all over the place since Pokemon Go happened in July...

bmYKODil.png

Imagine Rockstar without GTA. Their presence would be significantly lower.

Roo

Nintendo is doomed and all the obligatory BS

But seriously, congrats to Nintendo and Game Freak.

Top Bottom