• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Sun & Moon sold 14.69 Million Units in 2016. X & Y outsell Black & White

JoeM86

That is all it sold? Damn I thought it pulled in like 15+ my very first console was the special pikachu gameboy color, got a worm light attachment and never left my room

I'm hunting for better sources for the GameBoy games, so at the moment I'm using the sources wikipedia is using. I know I have a press release about it somewhere.

Wow, did not expect Sun & moon to do almost 15 million in less that two months. Insane numbers.

Whats amazing and surprising to me is that older games are still selling really well full price, despite a new game coming out. Those legs are insane.

Holy shit, so much for me thinking Sun and Moon would be the worst selling first titles of a gen, that shit is gonna pass BW (and maybe even RS) before Stars is even announced.
XY is really close to passing RS, I wonder if it can manage that last little bit with Sun and Moon out and Stars around the corner.

... Why? Especially when the hypothetical Stars is going to be a Sun/Moon up-port anyway and won't use anything the Switch has to offer.

Do we actually know that? It's easy to say stuff won't have XYZ, but we don't know until an announcement is made.

Also, Pokemon being in 720p handheld mode and maybe 900p-1080p in docked mode and superior hardware to run double battles might be enough to get people to convert to Switch.

JoeM86

... Why? Especially when the hypothetical Stars is going to be a Sun/Moon up-port anyway and won't use anything the Switch has to offer.

I am of the belief that Sun & Moon was intended to be a Switch launch title but, when Switch got delayed, they altered it to 3DS and downported it.

I have nothing to support this theory, and it is not based on any insider knowledge, but given Sun & Moon's mechanics/features, it makes so much sense

I am of the belief that Sun & Moon was intended to be a Switch launch title but, when Switch got delayed, they altered it to 3DS and downported it.

I have nothing to support this theory, and it is not based on any insider knowledge, but given Sun & Moon's mechanics/features, it makes so much sense

According to Eurogamer Sun and Moon was always 3DS, but was developed alongside Stars for Switch, which could explain the reasons you feel like SM were intended for Switch, because they were thinking about Stars at the same time.

JoeM86

According to Eurogamer Sun and Moon was always 3DS, but was developed alongside Stars for Switch, which could explain the reasons you feel like SM were intended for Switch, because they were thinking about Stars at the same time.

I don't think that's quite right though. I think there are elements of that, but not that they were developed alongside eachother. I think it's a lot more complicated than that.

We'll see, though

You would have to think it's on track to pass diamond/pearl based on those numbers that's a pretty good revival of the brand. I think the switch release and the 3DS slowing down will mean that sun/moon won't have quite as good legs as previous games. Stars could end up being the best selling 3rd version of all time as well. Perfect time for the brand to have a revival in its popularity, the switch needs a killer app and Pokemon is certainly that.

Atheerios

That's a pretty good theory, makes a freaking lot of sense!

Can't wait to see what Game Freak announces in the upcoming months.

Smasher89

250px-716Xerneas.png

Bow before the GOAT pokémon.

Sure, the goat was in that game, but that isn't Gogoat!

Impressive, would be cool to see some of the newer games outsell first gen.

Care to elaborate?

Lack of any 3DS features. Shift to barely use more than one screen at a time. Very limited touch screen use. Online shift to an obscure menu-based system in a menu option.

Doesn't the switch have a touch screen? Not sure which way they'll go but I feel like Pokemon is well suited to touch screens so I'd be surprised to see the not take advantage of that.

Lack of any 3DS features. Shift to barely use more than one screen at a time. Very limited touch screen use. Online shift to an obscure menu-based system in a menu option.

It makes more sense that they developed Sun and Moon/Stars simultaneously for the 3DS and the Switch. Breath of the Wild is similar in that they did not develop/removed dual screen functionality from the Wii U version.

goldenpp72

Even with that saying it'll outsell Yellow is ridiculous when Yellow sold more copies than the Wii U sold consoles.

Pretty sure Yellow sold a ton based on people thinking it was something new, considering the sales of the rest beyond it, coupled with the obscene red/blue hype of course. These third versions will never go over 10 million again on a single system, but they can certainly pull a huge figure.

Pretty sure Yellow sold a ton based on people thinking it was something new, considering the sales of the rest beyond it, coupled with the obscene red/blue hype of course. These third versions will never go over 10 million again on a single system, but they can certainly pull a huge figure.

Yellow sold a ton because it was the first game to star Pikachu, it was loosely tied into the anime which was at the time a huge sensation, and I think it came out around the time of the first theatrical film. Yeah.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
So, X/Y will likely beat the shit-Pokémon (number 3)? Good to see. Haven't played Sun / Moon yet, but happy to see it has good resonance, so looking forward to playing it.

Goldboy

Well deserved, Sun/Moon are amazing. Although I'm a bit sad that Black & White didn't sell too well comparatively since gen 5 is probably the best.

JoeM86

Well deserved, Sun/Moon are amazing. Although I'm a bit sad that Black & White didn't sell too well comparatively since gen 5 is probably the best.

Black & White got hit with bad timing. A DS game that came out three weeks before the 3DS in the west (granted, 6 months before in Japan) and in a time when piracy was rampant on the DS.

Top Bottom