• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Sun/Moon to contain multiple islands

entremet

Zelda will have multiple lands!

That doesn't mean anything.

It's pretty clear given the context.

The trailer showed one island, which people said was too small. They verified there are more islands. It's clear and succinct language.

Not remotely comparable, friend.

wmlk

By the way, that description was on Amazon the day of the Sun/Moon blowout. People just wanted to be all doom and gloom regardless, though.

Don't forget about soaring. I can't see that mechanic staying exclusive to ORAS.

If the islands are segmented, is there even a point to having Soar? It seems like the islands will be streamlined to the point where it's easy to reach certain routes and cities, which continues what GF did with Kalos's region design.

At least it makes sense in Hoenn considering how huge the island design is.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I like it. In fact I never used Fly in ORAS because of it.

I don't use it because...

Being able to fly without a fly pokemon but still by using a pokemon's abilities is definitely not "shit". It's a great solution to the HM issue and similar things should be done for other HMs.

It is shit because

a) pointless cutscene that is far longer than the fly animation
b) rather than directing you to a specific part of the map you have to "soar" through there

Yeah you'd argue that it's for those "secret" islands, but those secret islands are pretty crappy and could have been easily made by having the areas be flyable when "noted" by your game.

There's also a defense about "exploration", but you don't even use it for exploring, it's just for going to those secret islands which are notified to you.

you want Fly done right? Don't use Soar. Just simply do something similar to Fly but without having to use Pokemon.

This is a big "duh". Lol

This was expected and known would be true from the beginning.
By the way, that description was on Amazon the day of the Sun/Moon blowout. People just wanted to be all doom and gloom regardless, though.

Yeah you'd think people would know by now.

Then again I know people shitposting the island being shown as "wow that's a small region!"

gosox333

realistically the most you could hope for (if they do bring soar back) is them shortening that god awful summoning animation.

kids like cool things, and physically flying your Pokemon around to get places is cool.

Boss Doggie

realistically the most you could hope for (if they do bring soar back) is them shortening that god awful summoning animation.

kids like cool things, and physically flying your Pokemon around to get places is cool.

then make it substantial

Crayolan

It is shit because

a) pointless cutscene that is far longer than the fly animation
b) rather than directing you to a specific part of the map you have to "soar" through there

Yeah you'd argue that it's for those "secret" islands, but those secret islands are pretty crappy and could have been easily made by having the areas be flyable when "noted" by your game.

There's also a defense about "exploration", but you don't even use it for exploring, it's just for going to those secret islands which are notified to you.

you want Fly done right? Don't use Soar. Just simply do something similar to Fly but without having to use Pokemon.

Fly is quicker/better because you need to have a pokemon with the HM to use it. You're sacrificing a move slot for convenience. Soaring has no such drawback, so naturally it's not going to be as good as fly.

It's a good trade-off for people without a bird on their team IMO. And it's still faster than having to go to the PC and withdraw a flying pokemon every time you want to go more than 1 town over for people without a bird on their team.

gosox333

then make it substantial

Really all they can do is streamline/improve what they've already put in place. Exploration is already there, HM fly bypass is already there, specific encounters are already there, it's just all so cumbersome. What else aside from making those more accessible would you find substantial?

It sounds like you want a soar function without the actual controlling of your pokemon part. That part is what the target demographic finds the most substantial.

Yeah the use of the single word "islands" in a marketing statement is meaningless for interpreting much of anything.

Pokemon Red and Blue could be said to take place on "islands" because there were the Seafoam Islands and Cinnabar Island. Little chunks of land in the water are enough, it doesn't mean there are more major sections of the world map yet to be revealed.

I think it's likely there are more than what we have seen, sure, but this particular statement is not the one to enter in as solid evidence by any stretch of the imagination.

Nooooo you gotta believe that one of these islands will have an airport that takes you to South Kalos.
#ZygardeWillBeRedeemed
#AnAirportWasInThePromoConspiracy

What I suspect is the return of the battle frontier, because they keep goddamn teasing it and its driving me nuts. Maybe something else like the Delta Episode will be there and maybe like two extra explorable islands, but Pokemon Z will likely be for the NX unless GF wants to move to Gen 8.

Cindro

The post game better be a new island robust enough to make up for the previous entries' many post game sins

Still, I'm pretty sure S/M is my most hyped game of the year. Cannot wait. This finally looks like what I had hoped X/Y were going to be in the first place.

Better late than never :D

Ryoku

I hope there are some sort of big "secret islands" which you would only unlock after completing various in-game events. I love finding unknown areas in Pokemon that are meant to be secret. It adds to the sense of adventure.

I love island settings in Pokemon. The Sevii Islands were great, but in a way,felt underwhelming since the region did leave a lot to be desired. I doubt we'll ever get a game set in the Orange Islands, but I hope this region satisfies my craving for a fully realized island region.

The post game better be a new island robust enough to make up for the previous entries' many post game sins

Still, I'm pretty sure S/M is my most hyped game of the year. Cannot wait. This finally looks like what I had hoped X/Y were going to be in the first place.

Better late than never :D

I dunno, it depends on how, but I think the island structure is more ideal overall for dense content structure but they're going more ambitious in the presentation but then again, they don't have to build hundreds of models and a new engine and bunch of new 3D based features this time so maybe they can fill some content than X and Y.

Suspect the worst and hope for the best?

I hope the post game is Kanto. In the trailer it showed the kid came from Japan aka Kanto and Johto. It would only make sense that maybe at the end of the game he (you) go back to Japan (Kanto) for some reason. Plus it's the 20th anniversary so that would be cool. And there's the concept picture of a trainer that looked like Red.

I hope the post game is Kanto. In the trailer it showed the kid came from Japan aka Kanto and Johto. It would only make sense that maybe at the end of the game he (you) go back to Japan (Kanto) for some reason. Plus it's the 20th anniversary so that would be cool. And there's the concept picture of a trainer that looked like Red.

And then we can get another remake, this time in 3D!

yami4ct

Please don't make me go back to Kanto. Spend that time giving me a real postgame like the battle frontier. Kanto is so done. I don't want to go back until we revisit Sinnoh and Unova at the very least if not longer.

Please don't make me go back to Kanto. Spend that time giving me a real postgame like the battle frontier. Kanto is so done. I don't want to go back until we revisit Sinnoh and Unova at the very least if not longer.

What if it's Kanto 20 years later?

Noooooooo. Kalos, Kanto and Johto are literally my least favorite regions, they're so boring compared to Hoenn, Unova and Sinnoh. I don't want to go back to any region, just give me another explorable postgame island (or two), another postgame episode, a battle frontier and that'll suffice greatly.

1762.png

This is incredible.

Best generation

Boss Doggie

Fly is quicker/better because you need to have a pokemon with the HM to use it. You're sacrificing a move slot for convenience. Soaring has no such drawback, so naturally it's not going to be as good as fly.

It's a good trade-off for people without a bird on their team IMO. And it's still faster than having to go to the PC and withdraw a flying pokemon every time you want to go more than 1 town over for people without a bird on their team.

but battle-intensive areas tend to have PCs anyway so you should have a flier for adventuring

Really all they can do is streamline/improve what they've already put in place. Exploration is already there, HM fly bypass is already there, specific encounters are already there, it's just all so cumbersome. What else aside from making those more accessible would you find substantial?

It sounds like you want a soar function without the actual controlling of your pokemon part. That part is what the target demographic finds the most substantial.

I don't mind soar if the exploration was substantial is all I'm saying, because the supposed "exploration" in ORAS (those islands) were not really exploration since you're pointed to go there anyway, so you might as well have them be accessible with Fly.

Would be bullshit that Kanto gets to be revisited 2x whereas the rest of the regions are ignored. Not to mention XY was enough Gen I pandering.

I think the only way you'll be able to travel to another island is via ferry rides. I have a suspicion that their engine for Sun and Moon likely couldn't handle a full region without being broken up into smaller sections and they'd need to mask loading times. Especially given how their X/Y engine ran.

Don't know if I'm getting off topic here, but I think they might as well just add a new PC in the form of a smartphone. So you can access it anywhere and swap out Pokemon wherever you need to.

JoeM86

Don't know if I'm getting off topic here, but I think they might as well just add a new PC in the form of a smartphone. So you can access it anywhere and swap out Pokemon wherever you need to.

That'd remove any sort of balance and difficulty from the game. People already think the game is easy.

I hope Game Freak understands that surfing feels equivalent to roaming inside a zubat-infested cave that requires a HM to enter. I'd be ok with the majority of these islands being reachable via ferries, boats and bridges though.

It's a dressed up loading screen though, that load time will be there one way or another.

Yes, enough with the HM slaves.

HMs have been massively toned down in the last few games though. They are almost all used for optional content at this point so you don't need to carry around a slave.

I hope Game Freak understands that surfing feels equivalent to roaming inside a zubat-infested cave that requires a HM to enter. I'd be ok with the majority of these islands being reachable via ferries, boats and bridges though.

Buy repels?

Kyuur

Diving and underwater ruins are cool as hell. Would enjoy their return. Waterfall is mostly meh. Just a roadblock for the sake of a roadblock.

It adds a level of complexity to the world design though, in the Metroidvania-esque way I love. "So I have Waterfall now.. I think I remember seeing one back in xxx cave, time to go back and check it out!"

oh God no! or at least make them non HM moves.

I've always been against HM's since gen 3(well actually a little of gen 2 as well a whirlpool/flash and rock smash were fucking jokes as HMs...thank goodness they turned into TMs and whirlpool is just gen II exclisive)

I wouldn't be against them not even being Pokemon moves, but through the use of some plot item (ala Bike). Pokemon desperately needs some complexity to its world, else its just a linear slog.

RagnarokX

For people worried about there being too much surfing ala Hoenn, the surfing in Hoenn was late game. Alola being islands doesn't indicate anything because you won't be able to surf early in the game anyway and you'll need to travel between islands by boat.

Also:
50LP9o9.jpg

The southern route from Oahu is completely surrounded by rocks, meaning it is not a route between islands. It's likely you can't surf between most of the islands.

Top Bottom