• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Sun/Moon to contain multiple islands

maxcriden

screenshot_32.jpg

Pokemon Sun and Pokemon Moon will launch in the US November 18th, 2016 exclusively for the Nintendo 3DS family of systems. Embark on a new adventure as a Pokemon Trainer and catch, battle, and trade all-new Pokemon on the tropical islands of a new Region and become a Pokemon Champion!

(via: GoNintendo)

File this under "of course," but, I did see some in the main thread wondering whether or not the whole game will take place on one hand, and how they would dislike the game, etc.

Azuran

Banned
Hopefully this shuts up the people with no common sense that believe the only island we have seen is the entire region.

yami4ct

Once you saw the relatively small mainland and the Hawaii base, it really isn't a shock they are going multiple landmasses.

It's maybe a bit surprising that we're getting a Hoenn like region so soon after the R/S remakes, but I'm not strictly opposed to it.

Joqu

Pretty obvious, a quick look at the map they showed shows there wouldn't have been enough locations on that single island.

Anyway, I quite like the islands based region thing. I'm hoping it's going to make for some openness. At the very least it'll make the region feel unique. Kalos didn't.

Kyuur

Return of diving and waterfalls pls.

I didn't play the Ruby/Sapphire remakes so I'm pumped as all hell for a similar region.

Real Hero

Hopefully there's at least one part before you get fly where you have to a loooong surf journey and make it really hard

yami4ct

Diving and underwater ruins are cool as hell. Would enjoy their return. Waterfall is mostly meh. Just a roadblock for the sake of a roadblock.

Dee Dee

I will not get this game if there's extensive surfing.

That shit is game-ruining to me.

I am on the same boat. <- lol

There better be cruise lines where that are like hub points. I will be okay with a chibi sailor asking me where to go, so I just skip all swimming and they bring me there asap.

Extensive surfing is just neverending caves with Tentacools instead of Zubats.

yami4ct

Competitively, Waterfall is one of the few HMs that isn't a wasted moveslot though.

Who uses their travel team in competitive anyway? You have Surf/Waterfall/Dive on a water type travel bot and you're good to go.

I just don't think the Waterfall HM adds much. Similar to Cut and Flash, they just exist to roadblock. I'm happy that kind of HM is falling by the wayside.

Hawaii has 8 main islands.

Pokémon games usually have 8 gyms.

Hmmmm...

Interesting... also, horrible.

I hope you can maybe get to them in cool ways. Underground tunnel/cave, long bridge, hot air balloon... though I'd rather just bike the good old fashioned way

Wonder if this is a way to combat limitations since they're making dimensions a lot more proportionate compared to recent games.

The only worrisome thing is that they could make this hilariously linear by forcing the player to go to the next island, instead of surfing there. In fact, they could simply double down on complaints that Hoenn had too much water to the point that they eliminate water exploration.

Competitively, Waterfall is one of the few HMs that isn't a wasted moveslot though.

Why worry about competitive when you're playing in-game? It's not like the AI is smart enough to abuse lost turns in crappy moves like Fly/Dive/etc.

gosox333

I don't think we'll even be surfing between the islands, there's the traditional surfing barrier of rocks to keep you from going out into the open ocean right there in the official art. It's probably gonna end up being a Mr Briney scenario

calm down on the surf hate for now

The last time there was multiple islands we ended up with a half a game consisting of Wingull and Tentacool, they seriously better make sure the amount of water routes are kept in check.

I don't think we'll even be surfing between the islands, there's the traditional surfing barrier of rocks to keep you from going out into the open ocean right there in the official art. It's probably gonna end up being a Mr Briney scenario

calm down on the surf hate for now

Agreed, its very obvious we won't be surfing every where.

Zomba13

Of course there would be multiple islands, the one we saw had like, two towns on it.

But yeah, this will be Hoenn 2.0. Probably less trumpets but maybe even more water?

I actually didn't mind all the water in Hoenn and wouldn't mind if they went that route again.

Biggest hope is a return to Gen 1 - 4 in that at least some gyms can be taken out of order, only this time with level scaling. Island structure will make this even easier than normal. They're probably going to stay very linear again though.

What's with all the Hate?
I feel people always expect the worst in games now a days.

Always. Awesome, I'm itching for a new Pokemon game, X/Y wasn't for me and I skipped Alpha/Omega since I could just play Emerald.

What's with all the Hate?
I feel people always expect the worst in games now a days.

Always. Awesome, I'm itching for a new Pokemon game, X/Y wasn't for me and I skipped Alpha/Omega since I could just play Emerald.

Because GameFreak has said and done things that warrants the skepticism for Sun and Moon.

Top Bottom