• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Sword and Shield | Review Thread

Mozza

So after this shitshow there is any doubt about inflated score in nintendo games anymore??

The game is scoring 81 as an average, nobody is saying it's perfect, but at the same time they seem to be saying the positives outweigh the negatives, of course this will never sit well with complainers who have decided not to like the game no matter what, even though they have of course never played it. ;)

Can someone please summarise the controversy? I'm I wrong in understanding that they literally copied and pasted the code from a 2DS game? Lazy devs or con job? What's the deal?

Last edited:

GymWolf

The game is scoring 81 as an average, nobody is saying it's perfect, but at the same time they seem to be saying the positives outweigh the negatives, of course this will never sit well with complainers who have decided not to like the game no matter what, even though they have of course never played it. ;)
Where i said that the game was perfect??

But 81 for a game with shitty graphics, shitty animation, no challenge at all and severe cut compared to old games (plus straight LIES from devs) is an inflated score, but you do you and buy 5 copies so next time they are gonna give you gameboy graphics and 15 total pokemon and you will still be happy:messenger_winking:

Last edited:

Mozza

Where i said that the game was perfect??

But 81 for a game with shitty graphics, shitty animation, no challenge at all and severe cut compared to old games (plus straight LIES from devs) is an inflated score, but you do you and buy 5 copies so next time they are gonna give you gameboy graphics and 15 total pokemon and you will still be happy:messenger_winking:

All the complaining in the world will make little difference to GameFreak, as it's just the minority of core hobby games like us that are upset, as I have said the mass Pokemon fans who this game is aimed at simply does not care or even know about the issues.

Fake

All the complaining in the world will make little difference to GameFreak, as it's just the minority of core hobby games like us that are upset, as I have said the mass Pokemon fans who this game is aimed at simply does not care or even know about the issues.
Its not because they don't care doens't means reviewers/game journalist can hide the problem from them. This is bullshit.

They're the consumers. They have the right to know before buy. After that they can make their our decision. Some will ignore the info, other will be more careful.

Last edited:

Mozza

Its not because they don't care doens't means reviewers/game journalist can hide the problem from them. This is bullshit.

They're the consumers. They have the right to know before buy. After that they can make their our decision. Some will ignore the info, other will be more careful.

You are missing my point, the only people who care that much about reviews are the core gamers, the rest of the mass buying Pokemon audience will simply buy this game because it's the next one in the series, just like FIFA and Call of duty, now of course the internet posting minorities who know far more than anyone else will call them foolish for doing so, while at the same time not realizing that the only people actually listening are the people posting on the internet, so I am not sure even if the reviews were more negative it would make all that much difference, my take is the reviews are about right as the game is aimed at the wider mass Pokemon fans.

Last edited:

Fake

You are missing my point, the only people who care that much about reviews are the core gamers, the rest of the mass buying Pokemon audience will simply buy this game because it's the next one in the series, just like FIFA and Call of duty, now of course the internet posting minorities who know far more than anyone else will call them foolish for doing so, while at the same time not realizing that the only people actually listening are the people posting on the internet, so I am not sure even if the reviews were more negative it would make all that much difference, my take is the reviews are about right as the game is aimed at the wider mass Pokemon fans.
Don't matter. The info need to be there. Like you or not. We can all ignore or simple make a search before actually get the product.

C'mon dude, its not that hard to understand. If some casual/fanboys don't care about the info is not the point. The information must be there, for any product, not only for games, but for food, medicine, eletronics, etc...

Last edited:

Mozza

Don't matter. The info need to be there. Like you or not. We can all ignore or simple make a search before actually get the product.

C'mon dude, its not that hard to understand. If some casual/fanboys don't care about the info is not the point. The information must be there, for any product, not only for games, but for food, medicine, eletronics, etc...

I do see your point, but at the moment the game is on around 81 on the critic average, this is a long way from giving the game a pass, there are reviews that bring up the games issues as they will personally feel it's important to do so, whereas the more positive reviews feel on the whole the games are fun and to them the issues are not that restrictive, so are not dwelling on them, surely different points of view is the whole point of reviews, and perhaps some are looking at it from a core point of view where others are keeping in mind these games are designed for kids.

Fake

Esquire review:
Developer Game Freak clearly shifted its efforts away from the National Pokédex, adding 10 to 20 new Pokémon and creating a brand new region.
So to all you Pokéfreaks who can’t be be happy for a fantastic Pokémon game, me and my giant Grookey will be waiting to razor leaf your ass online.

Last edited:

Mozza

Support mediocore shit and gamefreak will never change its old designs. Reviews shillin and people buying this thing like crazy. Have fun with the next game being exactly the same.

I hear what you are saying, but it will matter very little if the core minority Pokemon fans do not buy this game, the masses will buy because they just see it as a fun new Pokemon game, perhaps it's a case of it you can't beat them join em, I am not letting a few issues get in the way of having some fun with this game.

Saruhashi

Banned
So after this shitshow there is any doubt about inflated score in nintendo games anymore??

Why just Nintendo?

People have know for YEARS that the reliability of video game reviewers is hit and miss at best and dishonest and agenda driven at worst.
I don't see how this particular game confirms it because the reviewers didn't totally wreck it.

To be honest here it feels like if the reviews were bad then you'd be holding them up as proof that the game is bad.

So actually you've somehow turned it into a situation where I would be more inclined to have sympathy for the reviewers since they are put in a no win situation.

Enjoyed the game? Well you'd better not give it a good score you Nintendo bootlicker!
Hated the game? Give it a low score and the same people lining up to call you a shill for positive reviews will accept you as the one true reviewer.

You've already defeated your own argument by having "reviewers can't be trusted" as a starting point because now I can just assume that those who gave it a bad review AND those who gave it a good review are equally full of shit. So I might as well just take the average score and judge the game based on that. Looks like it's an 81 then.

Unless your argument is that only reviewers who give the game a negative review can be trusted?

Last edited:

Mozza

Why just Nintendo?

People have know for YEARS that the reliability of video game reviewers is hit and miss at best and dishonest and agenda driven at worst.
I don't see how this particular game confirms it because the reviewers didn't totally wreck it.

To be honest here it feels like if the reviews were bad then you'd be holding them up as proof that the game is bad.

So actually you've somehow turned it into a situation where I would be more inclined to have sympathy for the reviewers since they are put in a no win situation.

Enjoyed the game? Well you'd better not give it a good score you Nintendo bootlicker!
Hated the game? Give it a low score and the same people lining up to call you a shill for positive reviews will accept you as the one true reviewer.

You've already defeated your own argument by having "reviewers can't be trusted as a starting point" because now I can just assume that those who gave it a bad review AND those who gave it a good review are equally full of shit. So I might as well just take the average score and judge the game based on that. Looks like it's an 81 then.

Unless your argument is that only reviewers who give the game a negative review can be trusted?

Because every reviewer is biased towards Nintendo and gives them a pass, and of course we can only ever trust negative reviews as they are the only ones telling it as it is. ;)

Last edited:

Saruhashi

Banned
Because every reviewer is biased to Nintendo and gives them a pass. ;)

Yuuup.

Unless the game I am determined to hate gets a bad review then the reviewers are good guys with trustworthy opinions.

What's most hilarious about the IGN and Gamespot reviews is that for months we were told that "fans" would hate the games.
So when review time comes around they give the review to their biggest Pokemon fans and the reviewers love the game.

It's like they can't decide. True Pokemon fans will hate the game! Unless they think it's good! Then they are just blind fans who like Pokemon no matter what! Hahahahaha.

Watching people tie themselves in knots over this is hilarious.

Dismissing reviewers while also combing through the reviews looking for "proof" that the game is awful.

The game has 4 reviews of 90 and above and 4 reviews of 70 and below.

Most reasonable sounding reviews have it at 8 or 8.5 basically.
With the summary seeming to be that it's not the best game ever made but if you like this kind of thing then you will probably really like the game.

Nydius

Because every reviewer is biased to Nintendo and gives them a pass, and of course we can only ever trust negative reviews as they are the only ones telling it as it is. ;)

I agree that the whole conspiracy that Nintendo gets a pass is overblown, but it's blatantly obvious that the reviewers for IGN, Gamespot, and now Esquire couldn't see beyond their own biases when writing. They went in already knowing they were going to like it because it was Pokemon and the resulting reviews read more like fan comments on Facebook than objective reviews judging the game on its merits. This fact is especially obvious when Gamespot's reviewer was on Twitter a day before calling anyone who complained "toxic" and given the adversarial tone of the Esquire review.

Conversely, I never once felt the Eurogamer review, which is arguably one of the most critical, came from a negative bias. It ended up negative, but that negativity is derived from an objective view of all of the game's offerings, both good and bad.

There's a post on the official review megathread at /r/pokemon which illustrates IGN's confirmation bias well. If this is someone from GAF's work, I apologize for lifting a huge chunk of it for this quote:

Nitpicks are "the cosmetics felt a bit limited," not "the gameplay was tedious and the graphics were underwhelming." You're doing a consumer no favors by sugarcoating every issue you come across in a product. Consumers rely on reviews for an honest consensus on a game - reviews should not be used to defend the reputation of a game, or gloss over its flaws as to not rock to boat.

Here are the "worst offenders" from the [IGN] article, IMO, all of which include some kind of concession, sugarcoat, or unnecessary defense:

"While Sword and Shield aren’t among the best-looking games on the Switch, the first mainline Pokemon games you can play on a big-screen TV certainly don’t look bad, either.

"On top of that there’s some noticeable pop-in of wild Pokemon and items, and other small quirks that, still, never disrupted play."

"There’s only so many times you can see your character throw a giant ball and your Pokemon get big. But I do like the mechanic more than I thought I would."

"Sword and Shield’s overarching story, which runs parallel to your personal quest of conquering the Galar region’s Gym Challenge, had a few twists that surprised me, but not enough time was spent on developing it to make it a marquee feature – as is usual with Pokemon. I was at least glad that there was more to discover about the story after the credits roll, roughly 39 hours in!"

Mozza

That still does not make any review right or wrong however, it's just that reviewers opinion at the end of the day.

GymWolf

Why just Nintendo?

You've already defeated your own argument by having "reviewers can't be trusted as a starting point" because now I can just assume that those who gave it a bad review AND those who gave it a good review are equally full of shit. So I might as well just take the average score and judge the game based on that. Looks like it's an 81 then.

I don't trust review, but a shitload of people unlike me care about scores and reviews, i was more talking about them.
Also a little zinger to the people who think that the narrative about nintendo titles having inflated score is crazy talk.

Sure sony and M have their inflated score too like everyone, but nintendo take the cake as usual (only rockstar is even worst)

Last 2 big sony games are days gone and ds, a 71 and a 83 and even in their worst moments, they are good games with cutting age graphics, good story, good gameplay loop and insane production values, and then you have 81 for probably one of the worst main pokemon title ever with psvita or worst production values and cutted contenents...

Saruhashi

Banned
Which is also coincidentally 99% of games.

Yeah, that makes sense.

Unless a game is fundamentally broken to the point of being unplayable, there is always going to be an audience out there.

In this case it's a long running series that has already found it's audience years ago and is just saying "do you want more of the same" and getting a pretty emphatic "yes".

If the previous entries in the series are sitting on 80+ average review scores then it's likely that the same trend will continue.

What's interesting maybe is if it's even possible for Game Freak to take the game up to that 93, 94, 95 level?
Seems like there will always be enough people who are not into it to keep the score down but enough people who very much enjoy it to keep the score in the 80s.

Saruhashi

Banned
I don't trust review, but a shitload of people unlike me care about scores and reviews, i was more talking about them.
Also a little zinger to the people who think that the narrative about nintendo titles having inflated score is crazy talk.

Sure sony and M have their inflated score too like everyone, but nintendo take the cake as usual (only rockstar is even worst)

Last 2 big sony games are days gone and ds, a 71 and a 83 and even in their worst moments, they are good games with cutting age graphics, good story, good gameplay loop and insane production values, and then you have 81 for probably one of the worst main pokemon title ever with psvita or worst production values and cutted contenents...

Right, but it's a daft conversation then because if all scores are inflated then you just say "OK, chop 2 or 3 points off and you've got the real score". So the scale is just 1 to 7 and Pokemon is still near the higher end of the scale.

You put the reviewers in an impossible position. If they like a game and give it a high score then they are a bunch of liars who inflate scores. So giving a game a low score is their only option regardless of how they feel about it.

Sorry, but the IGN lady, for example, seems like the kind of person who loves Pokemon games,
So what do you want her to say? "I love Pokemon games and I loved this Pokemon game... 6 out of 10".

It's dumb.

"Hey, I really liked this game"
"Noooo! You can't like it! Look at how bad it is! No no no no please don't give it a high score! I think it's bad and so should everyone."

It's fine to ignore reviewers and it's fine to think they are full of shit.
If that's your view though then you can't really say "actually THIS time they are saying what I want them to say so it's alright".

Just seems like people want to pick and choose.

GymWolf

Right, but it's a daft conversation then because if all scores are inflated then you just say "OK, chop 2 or 3 points off and you've got the real score". So the scale is just 1 to 7 and Pokemon is still near the higher end of the scale.

You put the reviewers in an impossible position. If they like a game and give it a high score then they are a bunch of liars who inflate scores. So giving a game a low score is their only option regardless of how they feel about it.

Sorry, but the IGN lady, for example, seems like the kind of person who loves Pokemon games,
So what do you want her to say? "I love Pokemon games and I loved this Pokemon game... 6 out of 10".

It's dumb.

"Noooo! You can't like it! Look at how bad it is! No no no no please don't give it a high score! I think it's bad and so should everyone."

If that's your view though then you can't really say "actually THIS time they are saying what I want them to say so it's alright".

I love many games but i'm honest about their flaws (jist read my many rants on rdr2, my last years goty), a journalist needs this attitude to the max because many people wait for their rewiews to decide if they want to buy a game.

Horizon is probably my game of the gen but i can write 10 pages of flaws that need to be adjusted in the sequel.
Same for every game i play.

We are not 5 years old babies without critics spirits just because we put money on that game or because we are fan of the saga.

9.3 to the worst pokemon main game in years (or maybe ever) is complete bullshit, even more when you are a journalist and your job is to make these flaws clear to your readers.

Mozza

It's dumb.

Or some people are so convinced they do not like this game that they will ignore anything that does not support their view, and also seem hell bent on preventing anyone else liking a game they do not like, been like this since forever.

Alphonze

Neo Member
I know not everybody likes him but he has a video on this.....

I watched his entire video and personally I think he's stirring up drama and being nitpicky as helllllll.

Guys going out of his way to exaggerate how the game is a lazy flop when he hasn't even played it yet. I understand why people are upset about Gamefreak lying about why they couldn't import all the old Pokemon, but for the 90% of us who aren't hardcore fans and don't care about importing our old pokemon after the end-game it's mostly a non-issue. Pretty disingenuous of him to claim that the game is literally a copy/paste of the 3ds game just because it uses some of the same models and animations, whilst entirely overlooking the new world (which is at least somewhat 3D) and all that.

Again, I understand why people are mad about Gamefreak lying about why they didn't import, but for this guy to be mad that the game re-uses models and animations.... has he ever played any other yearly franchise game EVER??? Assassin's Creed anyone???

Mozza

So they lied and now their justification for cutting so many Pokemon makes no sense?

To be honest they should have never had to justify this in the first place, it's their game they can cut the Dex if they want to, and considering the masses will not give a damn about it, why try to appease a small minority of core internet posting Pokemon fans, who for one the game is not aimed at in the first place and secondly will moan and complain no matter what GameFreak did.

Mozza

A video watched by 51,000 or so people, so at best a minority preaching to more minorities on the internet, in the vain attempt to make money from his channel.

Saruhashi

Banned
I love many games but i'm honest about their flaws (jist read my many rants on rdr2, my last years goty), a journalist needs this attitude to the max because many people wait for their rewiews to decide if they want to buy a game.

Horizon is probably my game of the gen but i can write 10 pages of flaws that need to be adjusted in the sequel.
Same for every game i play.

We are not 5 years old babies without critics spirits just because we put money on that game or because we are fan of the saga.

9.3 to the worst pokemon main game in years (or maybe ever) is complete bullshit, even more when you are a journalist and your job is to make these flaws clear to your readers.

It's only complete bullshit because you disagree though.

You're talking as if she isn't allowed to say she really likes the game because it might influence other people to buy it.

So that's where we are at with a Pokemon game right now.
Those reviewers had better because people who hate the game can't bear to see other people buying it and thinking "hm, this is pretty good".

You want them not to recommend a game because YOU think it's shit. Why the hell would you care though?

I can have a bit of sympathy maybe for a kid who believes the reviews and now so excited to rush home tomorrow to play the brand new Pokemon game. Then when they discover that loads of Pokemon and moves were cut and it totally ruins their experience. How many people is that really going to apply to though?

The IGN reviewer is a Pokemon fan and we were told that fans will hate it but there she is saying it's good.
If someone loved Sun and Moon are they really going to get their hands on Sword and Shield and be like "those reviewers lied to me the game is garbage"?

It honestly just feels like this level of negativity must be a bit exhausting?
People are obviously going to like the game when they get it.
No amount of trying to logically reason with them is going to make them dislike something that they like.

This is upsetting to see, Heck Sun & Moon I could tell quality an production was going down hill with the lack of end game. Now I'm hearing GTS is removed and held behind a paywall called 'Pokemon Home'

YIKES!!!!!

GymWolf

It's only complete bullshit because you disagree though.

You're talking as if she isn't allowed to say she really likes the game because it might influence other people to buy it.

So that's where we are at with a Pokemon game right now.
Those reviewers had better because people who hate the game can't bear to see other people buying it and thinking "hm, this is pretty good".

You want them not to recommend a game because YOU think it's shit. Why the hell would you care though?

I can have a bit of sympathy maybe for a kid who believes the reviews and now so excited to rush home tomorrow to play the brand new Pokemon game. Then when they discover that loads of Pokemon and moves were cut and it totally ruins their experience. How many people is that really going to apply to though?

The IGN reviewer is a Pokemon fan and we were told that fans will hate it but there she is saying it's good.
If someone loved Sun and Moon are they really going to get their hands on Sword and Shield and be like "those reviewers lied to me the game is garbage"?

It honestly just feels like this level of negativity must be a bit exhausting?
People are obviously going to like the game when they get it.
No amount of trying to logically reason with them is going to make them dislike something that they like.
If you can't discern your love for a vg saga and the objective flaws of a game, then you are not cutted to be a reviewers, this is my point of view, harsh or not, i don't really give a damn.
These flaws are nothing for you because your love for the saga is gigantic and you can't be un-biased? then Let the review to another not biased person, the final readers who pay 60+ dollars for the game read reviews because they want to know about these flaws and it's not their job seeing throught your biased bullshit...

Last edited:

Zog

Banned
To be honest they should have never had to justify this in the first place, it's their game they can cut the Dex if they want to, and considering the masses will not give a damn about it, why try to appease a small minority of core internet posting Pokemon fans, who for one the game is not aimed at in the first place and secondly will moan and complain no matter what GameFreak did.

They don't HAVE to justify it unless they want to appease their loyal fans. Lying about it though, that's just stupid on their part.

It's so interesting this attitude that companies shouldn't care what they customers think.

Mozza

IGN is a joke now. I wonder how much GameFreak sucked them off to write that kind of review. I respect the reviewers that don't have scores way more than the ones that have to put a number on it.

If you look at it that way why bother with reviews in the first place?, just make up your own mind as the only opinion that should matter is your own, but I do still wonder why people are so quick to trust a negative review rather than a positive one, from my viewpoint either end of the spectrum could have an agenda behind it.

Javthusiast

Banned
games-as-stuff-96-1557153552.jpg

Zog

Banned
If you look at it that way why bother with reviews in the first place?, just make up your own mind as the only opinion that should matter is your own, but I do still wonder why people are so quick to trust a negative review rather than a positive one, from my viewpoint either end of the spectrum could have an agenda behind it.
Well you know reviewers aren't being bribed to give a bad review.

Mozza

They don't HAVE to justify it unless they want to appease their loyal fans. Lying about it though, that's just stupid on their part.

It's so interesting this attitude that companies shouldn't care what they customers think.

Here is my issue with this, the "Loyal fans" you are talking about are the ones that would visit and post on internet forums, the mass Pokemon buying public will not even be aware of the issues never mind GameFreak's apologies/justifications for the dex cut, and it's not a case of the company not caring, but in the day they will never be able to please everybody.

Mozza

Well you know reviewers aren't being bribed to give a bad review.

Maybe not but there can also be bias with negative reviews as well, and I don't buy the whole bribery thing, sure the site could have given the review to a fan of the franchise rather than a neutral.

TheContact

Because I'm not going to drop $60 on a game that sucks and waste my time and money on it. I watch a lot of different reviewers and see what their opinions are and then form my own opinion. It's the same way when I buy stuff on Amazon--I don't just read the 5 star reviews, I also see what the 1star people have to say and look at everything in between.

Zog

Banned
Here is my issue with this, the "Loyal fans" you are talking about are the ones that would visit and post on internet forums, the mass Pokemon buying public will not even be aware of the issues never mind GameFreak's apologies/justifications for the dex cut, and it's not a case of the company not caring, but in the day they will never be able to please everybody.

So you are saying 'loyal fans shouldn't complain because the game will sell millions anyway'? If so, I don't understand that logic at all.

Last edited:

Mozza

So you are saying 'loyal fans shouldn't complain because the game will sell millions anyway?' If so, I don't understand that logic at all.

No, never said anybody should not complain, or that their complaints were not valid, simply saying that taking the overall Pokemon fan base they were in the minority, it's not case of understanding my logic or not understanding it, I am only stating facts.

Last edited:

imsosleepy

Besides that dexit, the IGN review don't mention any aspect of the gameplay. Is this the new kind of review format?

Damn, even the time you spend they don't mention. They made a very harsh review from DS.

Harsh? Fucking harsh lol. They could not review it as a game on its own but had to shit on almost everything instead of letting it be its own thing. They can do this with pokemon how ever and grade it realy high..

Sad that a new game that comes along with loads of new ideas, insane graphics, no bugs, no shit, but just different gameplay got shit on so badly by them. they are stil one of the biggest sites so they have alot of influence..

Saber

Gold Member
Sad that a new game that comes along with loads of new ideas, insane graphics, no bugs, no shit, but just different gameplay got shit on so badly by them. they are stil one of the biggest sites so they have alot of influence..

Most of people shit on those games because they just want to press one or 2 buttons and wants win. They don't want to think, they don't want hard and they don't want challenge. They just want to win and get over it.

Thats why IGN review about Pokemon is so terrible. It's basically a 7 minutes praise video instead of...you know, a review. No points about performance, no points about visuals(you know, something that they bash in all games). A 7 waste minute praising the game and contradicting herself.

Just to you take a note of how bad the review was, she praised the exp.share aways on saying that "her pokemon levels were never overleved their oponnents". Even though in the same video, her pokemons were about 7~9 levels above gym leaders. She even had the courage herself of admiting that her review was nothing but her "opinion". Opinion is something you get from me, from you or anybody in Neogaf. She's a fucking paid game journalist that is supposed to tell the cosumers the pros and cons of the game.

Last edited:

ROMhack

It's dumb.

Agreed and would add that I think people who play games for a living want to like them, hence why they're probably not as vocal about the flaws as normal players.

Last edited:

Nydius

The solution is to not let her be the reviewer of that particular game because her bias will color her review. Simple. That's not putting anyone in any "impossible positions". The rest of your post is chock full of hyperbole.

The more emotionally invested you are in something, the more likely you're going to miss or ignore -- intentionally or unintentionally -- issues because you're too close to the subject matter to be objective. Christ, I was taught this basic fact of review writing back in high school English.

Last edited:

Mozza

Agreed and would add that I think people who play games for a living want to like them, hence why they're not as vocal about the flaws as normal players.

Define normal player, core hobby gamer ? or casual gamer that does other things rather than play games ?, I would say the first group are bound to be more vocal then the latter, and the suggestion that a reviewer should somehow hate a genre of game they are reviewing, this just makes no sense at all, I admit if you give the game to a fan of the series certain things may be overlooked, but in general the game seems to be fun if you take the average, it seems like people are focusing on one review here to discredit the overall score.

Top Bottom