• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Sword and Shield | Review Thread

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Internet 2019

Previews: The game is good
Internet peoples: The game is not good

Reviews: The game is good
Internet peoples: The game is NOT good

Internet peoples who have played the game: Oh well, it's actually good
Rest of the internet peoples: GODDAMMIT I'M TELLING YOU THE GAME IS NOT FUCKING GOOD!

giphy-downsized-large.gif
Did you watch the stream

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Better: I have played the game. It is good. Not fantastic, not great, but a good fun time and a solid entry into the pokemon franchise.
Yeah well you also said Let's Go Eevee was a bad game. Who even asked you anyway? Eevee hater.

tumblr_piapswPUFJ1we6z1vo2_500.gif

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Yeah well you also said Let's Go Eevee was a bad game. Who even asked you anyway? Eevee hater.

tumblr_piapswPUFJ1we6z1vo2_500.gif

Oi, I love Eevee. I just didn't care for the spinoff's gameplay. I like my random pokemon battles and fighting to level up, not just endlessly catching pokemon for hours on end.

GAMETA

Banned
Did you watch the stream

I post on various other forums as well, most of those who have played the games are liking it...

General consensus is: It's a 3DS-like game running on Switch.

Does that make it less than what it should've been on Switch? Yes.

Does that make it a bad game? No.

Now you may proceed with the whining :)

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
As in, I don't enjoy capturing 30 Jigglypuffs or Caterpies to level up. It takes the fun out of capturing pokemon for me. If I capture a pokemon, I want it on my team.
You don't have to do that to level up. Catching Pokemon gives you exp on the newest Pokemon does it not? You must mean you miss random battles with wild pokemon for the exp grind rather than E4 runs. Right?
No I didn't watch the stream or played the game but other people told me it was good.
Alright then.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Suits up
49514258qg_13_f.jpg

I don't like his shoes​
I'm passive aggressive when a person asks me a simple yes or no question but god forbid you make point out my train of thought regarding consumerism and media. Because this is how mature people act!

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
It's funny because you're the one telling everyone else what they should be liking or doing
It's funny because I just asked you if you had watched a stream. Everything else after that is all you man. People can like whatever they want and discuss things this is a videogame forum but calling any criticism (factual at that) bitching is lower than shitposting man. I never told you what you could like I just made fun of your logic. Smileyface

GAMETA

Banned
It's funny because I just asked you if you had watched a stream. Everything else after that is all you man. People can like whatever they want and discuss things this is a videogame forum but calling any criticism (factual at that) bitching is lower than shitposting man. I never told you what you could like I just made fun of your logic. Smileyface
Then read my post again and you'll see that I didn't invalidate any criticism, I just pointed to the fact that the boys and girls of the world wide web are completely overreacting and that those who actually played the game are, much more often than not, enjoying it. :messenger_blowing_kiss:

Last edited:

Shaqazooloo

when do reviewers ever give nintendo games bad reviews even when they aren't good.
Starfox Zero, Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival, Metroid Prime: Federation Force. All legitimately bad games that got low scores because they were bad. Their might be more but this is just off the top of my head.

Inanilmaz

I post on various other forums as well, most of those who have played the games are liking it...

General consensus is: It's a 3DS-like game running on Switch.

Does that make it less than what it should've been on Switch? Yes.

Does that make it a bad game? No.

Now you may proceed with the whining :)
They dont understand
Does not buying this game helps us to get better future games? Yes
Does buying sword and shield helps us to get amazing future pokemon games? No never :)
it will just stay average like this game, with no stand outs

Last edited:

GAMETA

Banned
They dont understand
Does buying sword and shield helps us to get amazing future pokemon games? No never :)

Well, then simply don't buy it. No need for the pokémon inquisition.

Credit where credit is due, criticism where criticism is due.

10% less sales than what they expected would already make a big difference in their future decision making...

As in, I don't enjoy capturing 30 Jigglypuffs or Caterpies to level up. It takes the fun out of capturing pokemon for me. If I capture a pokemon, I want it on my team. Not something that I will just be tossed away.

Goddamn right. Catchin 100 mons in ten minutes just pressing A is disgusting, dumbed down zoomer heresy. Completely against pokelore, zero challenge, BULLSHIT.

Damn shame because lets go with wild battles and tougher trainers would have been fucken amazing

They dont understand

Yep. And average isnt good enough any more. The bar for rpgs is higher, theres tons of great ones to play instead

thequestion

3ds game on the switch - yeah it’s a little dissapointing.

My imagination was probably at fault. I was imagining a breath of the wild style Pokemon game. Your trainer enters the land - in the distance you can see towns and a city, mountains and caves, swamps and forests - all explorable- the gyms playable in any order you choose. The player would roam the land seeing Pokémon moving about in the wild. If you wanted to capture a Pokémon, you pressed a trigger button to enter aim mode, and throw a pokeball at a Pokémon. If you hit it, the camera would swing down into the battle view - the player now controls your Pokémon - real-time- left, right, forward etc - there’s an ATB style meter slowly filling up, and once it does, you can call on an attack, pressing one of the four face buttons etc. Rival trainers would of course, be populating the land as well, going about their various routines, itching to battle you, if you strayed into their area.

That’s the game i was invisoning when it was announced. I own too many Pokémon games already to just buy another 3ds style Pokémon game. The antiquated game system needs an upgrade.

Inanilmaz

Well, then simply don't buy it. No need for the pokémon inquisition.

Credit where credit is due, criticism where criticism is due.

10% less sales than what they expected would already make a big difference in their future decision making...
Unfortunately the sheep's will buy it anyways, they don't want great games they want just okayish games

Damn even the hot garbage Ultra Sun & Moon sold more than 8.5m

Lol
81 let down? I don't what games you guys are playing this year.
There are handful of games that broke 90 meta this year

Not just the score, but the overall reaction to this game. Nintendo set some pretty lofty standards for themselves with the Switch and Pokémon was the arguably the first who didn't fully deliver. Maybe Kirby wasn't so hot as well, but Pokémon is just a much bigger franchise.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
I'm not a core Pokemon fan, I'm not a drone nor do I care about comp shit. I just want a quality gaming experience, I'm sorry I have standards. Also the mass audiences are dumb as shit, saw someone on Facebook claim this game is bigger than any other Pokemon game when it's FF XIII in reverse. One big open area early game then corridors.

Amory

Game is fuckin terrible. Straight up. The story is ridiculous, the characters are lame, the gameplay is so easy that even their apparent target audience of 5 year olds would be bored, and the new Pokemon designs are silly.

It's a bad game.

Last edited:

Fake

Still he will buy the next terrible Pokemon game day 1 like the others

Why you think will be different? We are in 2020, Pokemon have two version of the same game at full price, you can only have one save game per cartridge, DLC from one version don't work for the other version although being the same damn game not to mention the remove of features from previous games and still the game sell like hot cakes.

mcjmetroid

Let's call this like it is. It's not a bad game, no I haven't played it. But cmon can you tell me something that would suprise me if I did?

I've seen the game, I've read the previews and reviews. I know what to expect and no..

They should and could have done better than this.

If I reviewed it I'm sure I would give it a 6/10 and it called it out rightfully so for not having ambition at all.

It's not good folks. It's a ok game at best, I don't need to play it to know this. It's one of those rare cases. If you bought into and are trying to justify it then cool but let's not pretend for a second that this is on the level of any other franchise Nintendo or any other.

If you expect more you'll get more.

Last edited:

Shaqazooloo

It's an ok game honestly, nothing spectacular. Story was stupid but I dont really have any complaints.

Played Moon recently to completion, that one to me was very bad and boring with its linearity and constant cutscenes, at least they toned it back massively this time around.

Roufianos

Game is fuckin terrible. Straight up. The story is ridiculous, the characters are lame, the gameplay is so easy that even their apparent target audience of 5 year olds would be bored, and the new Pokemon designs are silly.

It's a bad game.

It fucking sucks man. I usually re-play each release multiple times. This one, I couldn't even be bothered to capture the legendary once the credits rolled.

Amory

It's an ok game honestly, nothing spectacular. Story was stupid but I dont really have any complaints.

Played Moon recently to completion, that one to me was very bad and boring with its linearity and constant cutscenes, at least they toned it back massively this time around.
To each their own I guess but I really do struggle to understand what people like about this game, unless you're just so into Pokemon that just being in the universe is enough. I actively hated it. I collected 5 badges before I finally decided to let myself walk away.

The one thing I can say that's positive is the environments and vistas looked ok and the music was fine.

It fucking sucks man. I usually re-play each release multiple times. This one, I couldn't even be bothered to capture the legendary once the credits rolled.

Heck I couldn't even be bothered getting that far, Got to the 7th gym and just lost all interest with how lack luster the games systems were and like zero content.

Amory

Lol i played the game to the end and its pretty much the same shit as all the other pokemons.
I think the last Pokemon game I played was White on the DS which I also didn't care for. Well, I played Let's Go Pikachu which I thought was really fun, but that's more or less just Red/Blue.

So pokemon probably just isn't for me anymore which is fine. I can go back to red/blue when I need my fix. I don't understand why this series still has such a rabid fanbase though. They really should've pushed things further forward by now, imo.

Shaqazooloo

To each their own I guess but I really do struggle to understand what people like about this game, unless you're just so into Pokemon that just being in the universe is enough. I actively hated it. I collected 5 badges before I finally decided to let myself walk away.

The one thing I can say that's positive is the environments and vistas looked ok and the music was fine.
I thought the gym challenges were decent amount of fun, Bede and Marnie were pretty cool imo.

I suppose most of the fun comes from the wild area, running into high level pokemon, battling in raids or just catching whatever you can find can get addicting.

Plus getting into competitive is easier then ever in this game with it's QoL improvements. This is the first pokemon game were I've been able to make a somewhat decent team to take online and not get my ass handed to me.

For me, while a lot of the main game is kind of trash, it's the side stuff and improvements that save most of the game.

Top Bottom