• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon X and Y Official Guide goes up on Amazon- "Super Training" confirmed

Also confirms the return of TMs, HMs and the Hall of Fame.
Here’s what you’ll find inside:

• A complete walkthrough of all the Gym Badges and through the Hall of Fame!

• Detailed information on all the new game features, from Sky Battles and Horde Encounters to Super Training and Pokémon-Amie!

• A guide to where to find hidden items, TMs and HMs, and special Pokémon—with a location index!

• Hints on the best ways to use Roller Skates, ride Pokémon, and challenge Gym Leaders!

• A super effective Pokémon screen cleaner to keep your Nintendo 3DS system looking sharp!

• Helpful tips and tricks for getting the most out of the PSS and online play!

• An updated type matchup chart that includes the all-new Fairy type!

• Pullout map to guide you through the Kalos region!

So, is this the new EV training system that was mooted at the E3 Roundtable, do we reckon?

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Hope the horde encounters don't have that weird restriction of having to knock all other Pokemon out before you can catch a single one.

If they make EV training easier/faster, that will be FANTASTIC. Hate catching new pokemon because they are always weak compared to my older ones just because of that. This is a most welcome change.

Speaking of which I was trying to catch all the Pokemon I could before X and Y came out, I should get on that...

I was gonna say there's no collector's edition but I notice this is already hardcover so I guess that's that.

It also looks like it'll be smaller in size than the past guides or that could just be Amazon's angle of the book. Not sure how I feel about that.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
So when the heck are they gonna get rid of HMs??? =(

Hedge

I hope they add more HM's in this generation!

..said no one ever.

My god, I hope they've finally made a system where I don't have to sacrifice a move on every pokemon just to make sure I'm able to pass through one area to the next.

..said no one ever.

My god, I hope they've finally made a system where I don't have to sacrifice a move on every pokemon just to make sure I'm able to pass through one area to the next.

Thissss... my Swanna's making good use of the HM's though. But really.

Velcro Fly

Removing the ability for pokemon to use Surf in battle is a huge nerf to water type special attacks. Actually don't mind surf because you normally have a pokemon that can use it and it's normally a very good attack to have on a team anyway. They made strength moving boulders permanent so that isn't bad. I don't know about cut. The rest suck :(

Theorymon

Man I hope Super Training has something to do with editing IVs. IVs are such a terrible barrier to competitive battling (ESPECIALLY for good legendaries), easing the load dramatically would be great stuff!

I don't really get the hate for HMs. You only have to really use them during your first playthrough and it's not like you'll be making a competitive team before you finish the game so sacrificing a move slot isn't too bad, especially considering how easy the main story is.

I can understand being frustrated with stuff like Rock Smash, Flash, and Cut just because they're crappy moves to begin with, but last gen actually gave us a set of somewhat useful HMs.

..said no one ever.

HM should just be innate abilities a pokemon has that are unlocked after getting a badge. Or something that doesn't take up a moveset at the very least.

Sandfox

The "best way to use rollerskates" line is kinda interesting.

If they make EV training easier/faster, that will be FANTASTIC. Hate catching new pokemon because they are always weak compared to my older ones just because of that. This is a most welcome change.

Speaking of which I was trying to catch all the Pokemon I could before X and Y came out, I should get on that...

EV training only takes like 30 minutes.

Slermy

I'll probably buy it. Inb4 you could just looks it up on gamefaqs!

Certain games justify a physical guide. Pokémon is one such series. I love the giant Pokédexes.

I was gonna say there's no collector's edition but I notice this is already hardcover so I guess that's that.

It also looks like it'll be smaller in size than the past guides or that could just be Amazon's angle of the book. Not sure how I feel about that.

I've seen a few of those smaller ones for a while in addition to the larger ones. I hope we get a Gen VI Pokédex, those are incredible.

Join Avenue made EV training much easier once you get everything set up, although it takes a lot of time to get there and is a big money drain. I hope XY can build up on that.

Wichu

'Super Training' should be the method of raising EVs through minigames mentioned in the PokéBeach rumour, so nothing to do with IVs. It apparently takes about two hours to max EVs, so it's less efficient than the existing method :/
It's useful if you don't have Pokérus/Power items yet, at least.

Espada

I'd be my left asscheek that Super-Training is what the Pokebeach rumor was referring to when it said a facility would boost EVs.

entremet

I don't mind HM when they're good moves--Strength, Surf, Fly, Waterfall.

But Rock Smash, Flash, and Cut? Ugh.

Certain games justify a physical guide. Pokémon is one such series. I love the giant Pokédexes.

I've seen a few of those smaller ones for a while in addition to the larger ones. I hope we get a Gen VI Pokédex, those are incredible.

Yeah, the Pokedexs are pretty awesome. Kinda odd they didn't just go with a Vol.1 like with B/W2.

Sandfox

:)

I was sort of hoping they wouldn't publish this on launch day. This worldwide launch is going to be hell for me, unfortunately.

At the same time you'll have to do less digging yourself so it will be easier to do the updates/news in steps.

Are they still doing that thing where they save all the Postgame info for a "Vol. 2""? I always felt so ripped off over buying the official DP guide back when Gen 4 launched.

Are they still doing that thing where they save all the Postgame info for a "Vol. 2""? I always felt so ripped off over buying the official DP guide back when Gen 4 launched.

They been saving Vol.2 for their Pokedexs and all the assorted info about stuff like catching, evolution, contests and whatever else side stuff to do.

This does gimp Vol.1's Pokedex into pretty much a list of Pokemon.

JoeM86

At the same time you'll have to do less digging yourself so it will be easier to do the updates/news in steps.

This is true, but then it won't be my work and I'd be no better than the sites that just lift content from others and then claim credit.

Need to find a happy medium, I guess.

They been saving Vol.2 for their Pokedexs and all the assorted info about stuff like catching, evolution, contests and whatever else side stuff to do.

This does gimp Vol.1's Pokedex into pretty much a list of Pokemon.

I probably won't bother checking this out then. Physical guides have their perks, but paying to get less info than free resources on the internet seems kind of dumb.

I probably won't bother checking this out then. Physical guides have their perks, but paying to get less info than free resources on the internet seems kind of dumb.

It's probably cause they can't make such a large guide anymore to contain all everything. The last time they tried it was the Platinum guide and they ended up being 600something pages or so.

Theorymon

I think the biggest problem with these guides are how they list stats. I wish they'd list base stats or max stats, but instead they use these stupid bars that don't really say anything. Even worse, these stat bars often get stuff very wrong. For example, I remember a guide that had regular Kyurem's Special Attack higher than Attack, but in reality, both its Attack and Special Attack stat are base 130.

Top Bottom