• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon X/Y Online Battle Exploit - "Battle Analyser"

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Way to go, that will show everyone how wrong I am.

The next thing I'll read in this thread is that Pokemon is as competitive as Starcraft or SF4.

But, go on... you can argue as much as you want, obviously you have your own points of view and I have mine.

The difference is that your point of view is founded on factually incorrect information. It's flawed.

How about you explain exactly why you think it's not competitive? There are tons of variables and strategies involved, and it isn't just about how you breed your Pokémon. There's a meta game that's frequently changing. You have communities dedicated to analysis and theorycrafting and competitive play.

Just because it's not real time and does not require twitch reactions does not mean it's not competitive. You don't get to just choose what is or isn't competitive. I'm not going to reply to you anymore, but please realize that you're being willfully ignorant. I don't know what happened to you to cause you to disdain Pokémon so much, but maybe take a moment to see that there are a lot of people who very much do enjoy the competitive scene and are quite passionate about it.

PK Gaming

Supposedly, NuggetBridged has contacted TPCI and they know about the issue now.

Hopefully they can contact Gamefreak and come up with a solution asap.

Theorymon

I sure hope the solution isn't to disable rated battles permanently.

Well, Global Link does say temporarily, so I assume Gamefreak will be working on some sort of patch. Sucks for me that this happened RIGHT about the time I was finally gonna finish my Battle Spot Special team... oh well, guess I'll bring out my Ubers that I soft reseted for (aka Xerneas and Yveltal) and maybe crack a few skulls in free battles.

Least100Seraphs

Neo Member
In a way we are very fortunate.
If this sort of thing had been developed on any previous generation of games, I dare say we would be completely screwed, as DS cartridges can't really be patched, and nor can DSes.

Thankfully this is a 3DS game, which means patches can be made and enforced for the game.

JoeM86

Supposedly, NuggetBridged has contacted TPCI and they know about the issue now.

Hopefully they can contact Gamefreak and come up with a solution asap.

Lots of people did. I know that Nintendo were made aware of it long before this thread was made, when very few people knew of it. It's why Rating Battles were disabled before this thread went up.

I sure hope the solution isn't to disable rated battles permanently.

It's not :)

Keep up :p
Interestingly, they've taken down Rating Battle for the time being. Can't help but think it's related, though they say it's due to a server failure earlier today.

Kinokou

Isn't the anti cheating program also cheating? Depending on what team setup you make it seem like you have you can manipulate the flow of the battle in your favour. There should be an option to show an obviously fake team of lvl 1 magikarps. I would not be comfortable using it if it makes it seems safe to bring out a dragon because there are no fairy, dragon or ice moves on my "team" and then OHKO the opposing dragon as soon as it enters the field.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9oQj91kILw[/url]

And that's why the VGC is doubles I guess.

Fireblend

Banned
Isn't the anti cheating program also cheating? Depending on what team setup you make it seem like you have you can manipulate the flow of the battle in your favour. There should be an option to show an obviously fake team of lvl 1 magikarps. I would not be comfortable using it if it makes it seems safe to bring out a dragon because there are no fairy, dragon or ice moves on my "team" and then OHKO the opposing dragon as soon as it enters the field.

Exactly, the idea is to turn the tide in favor of those that use the anti-cheating application, making the best possible strategy to not use the cheating program at all (better to remain ignorant than to risk being influenced by false information).

DaBoss

Thinking about it, you're right. I would rather just send them bullshit like you said, just put lvl 1 Magikarp and some BS moves.
I think it is Doubles due to more strategy, variety, and much easier to balance.

Also cheating? If the other person is using BA, why is it worse to send false information that would only be picked up by BA in the first place?

Oh no, now he'll have to predict what you'll use instead of knowing it beforehand.

Neiteio

Good to see GameFreak is addressing this, and that in the meanwhile cheaters won't be able to boost their score.

backlot

The problem is that battle analyzer could intercept the real and the fake info. If battle analyzer says you're either switching to Togekiss or Magikarp it's pretty easy to figure out which one is the real info.

Box

You seem to be under the impression that people we were defending hacking in this thread.

We weren't.

I'll defend it.

It's my game so I can cheat in it as much as I want. If you want to form a group where you you're only allowed to trade and battle with people who don't use exploits, then fine but I'm not obligated to join.

coopolon

I'll defend it.

It's my game so I can cheat in it as much as I want. If you want to form a group where you you're only allowed to trade and battle with people who don't use exploits, then fine but I'm not obligated to join.

So you are okay with the battle analyzer too? It's the cheaters games as well, if someone doesn't like it they should just play with their friends?

Velkyn

I'll defend it.

I'm all for hacking things as long as it doesn't step on anyone's toes. It's one thing to hack a few IVs, it's entirely another to sniff packets just so you can go up in rating.

Your right to cheat in your game as you want stops when you infringe on other people's rights to enjoy ranked battles without wondering if their opponent is beating them legitimately or through nefarious means.

Can't wait for the inevitable defense force.

"It's not cheating! It's not like it's information I couldn't have guessed anyway..."

I'll defend it.

lol, pre-empted. When it comes to Pokemon there's no exploit that doesn't have its defenders.

Box

So you are okay with the battle analyzer too? It's the cheaters games as well, if someone doesn't like it they should just play with their friends?

Not really, mainly because looking at it from a practical point of view, the only purpose of the battle analyzer is fraud. Hacking allows people with less time to enjoy parts of the game that they otherwise wouldn't be able to.

I'm all for hacking things as long as it doesn't step on anyone's toes. It's one thing to hack a few IVs, it's entirely another to sniff packets just so you can go up in rating.

Your right to cheat in your game as you want stops when you infringe on other people's rights to enjoy ranked battles without wondering if their opponent is beating them legitimately or through nefarious means.

Yeah, it is different, which is why one can be fine and the other is not.

Can't wait for the inevitable defense force.

"It's not cheating! It's not like it's information I couldn't have guessed anyway..."

lol, pre-empted. When it comes to Pokemon there's no exploit that doesn't have its defenders.

Keep up. The only person who raised that guessing correctly could be done with sufficient time was McNum by equating it to grinding for perfect stats.

Keep up. The only person who raised that guessing correctly could be done with sufficient time was McNum by equating it to grinding for perfect stats.

Nah, I meant defend it in the general sense, which you did. Didn't mean to imply you possessed the ability to prognosticate your opponent's team, so sorry about that. Or not so sorry? I don't know, your excuse was worse than the hypothetical one I pulled out of my ass. The game stops being "your" experience when you take it online and start fucking up other players' experiences.

Box

Nah, I meant defend it in the general sense, which you did. Didn't mean to imply you possessed the ability to prognosticate your opponent's team, so sorry about that. Or not so sorry? I don't know, your excuse was worse than the hypothetical one I pulled out of my ass. The game stops being "your" experience when you take it online and start fucking up other players' experiences.

So yeah, this is kind of related to what I said when I was talking about fraudulence. No one really consents to the battle analyzer being used which is what makes it different. On the other hand, there are circumstances where hacking your team is acceptable.

Top Bottom