• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Black/White Sells 2.63m in first weekend (JP) -- best first week sales ever

cvxfreak

Ookami-kun said:
So RS had the poorest first week sales then?

Yeah. During the GBA days, it seemed as if the series was dying down somewhat, but I just chalk it up to the GBA not being as popular as either the GB or the DS.

Awesome, I really like that Pokemon is still doing well <3

Just a quick question. If I play Black/White on a 3DS, I'll be able to go online with a WPA2 secured wifi signal right?

With Pokemon in America, does this game have a chance at the biggest seller of the year altogether? When is it being release in NA and EURO land?

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
GasProblem said:
Awesome, I really like that Pokemon is still doing well <3

Just a quick question. If I play Black/White on a 3DS, I'll be able to go online with a WPA2 secured wifi signal right?
You really expect us to know that? :/

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Ondore said:
Assuming 4280 yen per copy, making this a conservative estimate... $132,262,410.

I said goddamn.
No retailer sold Pokemon below 4.800 yen this weekend and if this happened it was the very small minority. Amazon is sold out at the moment, that's why it has this price drop.

sfried

Lyphen said:
cp4600_Smugleaf.png
His face should now be in Gamasutra's headlines.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
cvxfreak said:
Yeah. During the GBA days, it seemed as if the series was dying down somewhat, but I just chalk it up to the GBA not being as popular as either the GB or the DS.

Maybe Gen III reaaaally sucked.

Josh7289

I knew it... With 1 million pre-orders a month ago and 1.5 million predicted, all the marketing going into this game (to adults, too), the "fresh start" feeling it has, and of course the huge DS install base. This game is going to continue selling legendarily across the world, I think.

And I contributed two sales this time. :D

Honestly, I think this Pokemon's sales might end up delaying the launch of the 3DS.

Why would you kill this kind of momentum by releasing a new system?

Answer: you don't.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
Honestly, I think this Pokemon's sales might end up delaying the launch of the 3DS.

Answer: you don't.
Retort: GBA's untimely demise.

Vinci said:
Hot damn, the Japanese love these Pokemans. ;)

Well then, the rest of us will just have to beat that number to show we love Pokemans more.

BTW, how come we don't have any launch pictures to go with this news? What's a huge launch without pictures of long lines?

Cow Mengde said:
Well then, the rest of us will just have to beat that number to show we love Pokemans more.

BTW, how come we don't have any launch pictures to go with this news? What's a huge launch without pictures of long lines?

It was a separate thread seeing as it wasn't part of the actual game discussion.

swerve

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:

Have the new system play the awesomely popular game that all the kids just bought, and have added functionality (many more players have DS Lites than DSi, and 3DS has the DSi enhancements to Pokemon).

ALSO of course, it has 3D support when played on 3DS, to be announced next week :) (believe?)

swerve

Roland said:
Are there numbers of which version sold more? White?

Both are sold out. I just had to pre-order White at the store, and amazon has them back in stock in four days so it seems Nintendo were a little unprepared.

Azure J

Good God, Pokemon is a juggernaut. I'm absolutely flabbergasted. The funny part is it's not surprising to me that B&W had a successful launch, but by this much and in such a short amount of time? Where's that "been_had_money.gif" when you need it? :lol

sphinx

the piano man
the lack of pictures of people lining up in sotres to buy the game is saddening, considering this is the biggest weekend in Japan's VG history :-/

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Cow Mengde said:

Blâme tgs

Jeels

Should it really count, I mean it's two games, not one. Lots of people double dip. They are different SKUs =/

jman2050

Jeels said:
Should it really count, I mean it's two games, not one. Lots of people double dip. They are different SKUs =/

The late 90's/early 00's are suing for unauthorized use of their tired arguments.

Jeels

Sorry, I'm not trying to start an argument or anything, I am (mostly) a fan of the Pokemon series. It was an honest question.

Jeels said:
Sorry, I'm not trying to start an argument or anything, I am (mostly) a fan of the Pokemon series. It was an honest question.
Just sayin'. The guys that do the counting will count it this way, so by definition it's going to count.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Jeels said:
How does one person buying two games change the fact that that many games were sold?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Jeels said:

The differences between each version are superficial, with maybe one area and some exclusive Pokémon on each. This would be like saying some AAA HD game sales don't count because one platform got exclusive DLC or whatever.

Jeels said:

The actual amount of sales affected by double dipping is probably rather low, and its not like that other games don't have people double dipping anyways.

swerve

Jeels said:

It may be 2 SKUs but it wasn't 2 teams developing them or 2 dev budgets or 2 marketing budgets or 2 development cycles.

It's one game. If some untrackable % of players buy it twice to see absolutely everything, that doesn't change the fact that the same team made a game that people wanted so much, they bought it twice. And most likely they had a brother or sister who they (pretended they) bought it 'for'.

Top Bottom