• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Company Achieves $2.1 Billion in Retail Revenue in 2015

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
The Pokemon Company, among many others, announced their 2015 results for brand licensing (retail sales) through License Global!. Not surprising, The Walt Disney Company placed first with $52.5 Billion (gotdam) in total retail sales of licensed products worldwide.

On the other hand, The Pokemon Company placed 29th with $2.1 Billion in total retail sales of licensed products worldwide (which includes the likes of TCG, video games, anime, VOD offerings, etc.)

The Pokémon 20th anniversary kicked off with the brand’s first ever Pokémon Super Bowl ad during Super Bowl 50, which was viewed by more than 110 million people during the game and watched more than 26 million times on YouTube. The spot encourages fans to Train On. Four Mythical Pokémon video game character distribution events will take place at participating GameStop locations throughout 2016, with one being distributed quarterly. TOMY International, Pokémon’s master toy licensee, has also created special Mythical Pokémon figures and plush to celebrate 20 years of Pokémon. Pokémon TCG fans can celebrate 20 years of Pokémon with the Pokémon TCG: Generations expansion. Highly anticipated Pokémon video games launch in 2016, including the fast-action fighting game for the Wii U, Pokkén Tournament, which launched in March. Also, the seventh generation of Pokémon video games, Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon,will launch in time for holiday season for the Nintendo 3DS family systems.

Summary of Nintendo's Executive Meeting for 2016:

Nintendo Exec 1: "We got no NX or Zelda for the holiday season, what do we do?"
Nintendo Exec 2: "Delay the anticipated Paper Mario Wii U release for the holidays maybe?"
Nintendo Exec 1: "That may not be enough..."
Silence ensues while Nintendo executives think of a plan.
Pokemon Exec comes in: "We got Pokeymans"
Nintendo Execs: "Thank God"

Gr5ihN0.gif

http://images2.advanstar.com/PixelMags/license-global/pdf/2016-05-top150.pdf

Tenebrous

It's kinda crazy that we're all blown away by how well Minecraft is still doing, then see this... This franchise is over 20 years old!

Mindblowing.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
they need to get a good dev to write a TCGO client for phones

start eating Hearthstone's lunch

Zalman

The next two years should be even better for them with a new gen coming out. New monsters = more merchandise.

Tenebrous

Gaf. A question please. I have never played a pokemon before. Is jumping into Sun/Moon a good idea or I will miss too much past content?

There's never a bad time to jump into/back into Pokemon. I went from playing Gen I-III back in the day to skipping right onto Gen VI just recently, and nothing I missed detracted from the experience at all.

Nostalgia aside, it really is as good (if not better) than it's ever been.

rhandino

Banned
Gaf. A question please. I have never played a pokemon before. Is jumping into Sun/Moon a good idea or I will miss too much past content?
You don't really need to play the older games and can jump into any of them.

If you want a taste of what the games are you can try X and Y or Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire on 3DS... or my personal favorite that is Pokemon Platinum on DS =P

Kyuur

Hard to tell without the games being out, but in general you can jump in wherever with Pokemon.

If you want to play the series as a whole, better to start older so you can appreciate the mechanical improvements instead of slugging through worse titles. I would personally start with the oldest of the modern games, Diamond/Platinum/Pearl, if you're going to go that way.

Play RGBY VC first.

Not really something I would suggest, they've aged really poorly.

Hard to tell without the games being out, but in general you can jump in wherever with Pokemon.

If you want to play the series as a whole, better to start older so you can appreciate the mechanical improvements instead of slugging through worse titles. I would personally start with the oldest of the modern games, Diamond/Platinum/Pearl, if you're going to go that way.

Not really something I would suggest, they've aged really poorly.

And what is the core difference between the versions? I mean X/Y, Black/White whatever.

And what is the core difference between the versions? I mean X/Y, Black/White whatever.

Between generations? New region, new 'mons, somewhat new storyline. The core concept is the same throughout the ages, although it is constantly refined and expanded by new side elements.

Between versions (X vs Y etc.)? Nothing significant, just a bunch of exclusive Pokemon and maybe some differences in the story. Some generations also had the third version (Yellow to Red/Blue, Platinum to Diamon/Pearl etc.) which adds a bunch of refinements to the gameplay.

Busaiku

You mean difference between Black and White or X and Y, or difference between X/Y and Black/White?

If the latter, some Pokémon can be obtained natively in 1, but not the other. Every Pokémon can be traded though. Some events change based on the exclusive legendary, but each version has its own thing. In the case of the Glenn games (Sapphire and Alpha Sapphire), the villain team is also different.

If the former, there are various gameplay differences, less Pokémon in previous gens, graphical differences, different mechanics, and so on.

If you're just starting out, don't worry about differences and just pick the one that has the cooler looking Pokemon on the cover.

With online trading, you can get any Pokemon you're missing in the version you choose.

hiryu64

I'm ever-hopeful that this accrual of revenue will lead to bigger budgets for the technical, graphic, and presentational aspects of the mainline games. What I wouldn't give to see a mainline game with Pokken Tournament-level or better technical quality. 6th gen was a huge letdown for me in that regard.
Personally, I'd suggest going for whatever the most recent games are. If the games and overall concept hold your interest, then start going through previous gens. They've each got their strengths and weaknesses, and there are high points and low points--though where those are will depend greatly on whom you ask.

Azuran

Banned
But why is that exactly?

Because they want to make you suffer. This is like telling a new Zelda fan to play the original instead of something lIke OoT or Wind Waker

Buy one of the 3DS ones and have fun. XY is probably the best for newcomers right now since it has over 400+ Pokémon in the game.

Vena

Pokemon is serious business bruh

Of course it is, and I am impressed with the growth despite the lack in major mainline release (and no release holiday last year at all). This year (especially with that leaked 3DS price cut) is going to be huge for Pokemon.

With Nintendo flailing about, it's up to Pikachu to save the day. Again.

If the flailing is that GloFo/AMD rumor, then its all the funnier to have Pikachu save the day.

Top Bottom