• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon cries

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Anyone else find them fascinating?

And you know what? Screw the anime - I like the cries in the games more because it makes them sound like an actual creature rather than a being with a creepy human-like word. That's why when monsters like Groudon and Kyogre were shown, I really love how they make wild growls rather than "KA-YO-GERRRRR!!!" Although the Regicries were pretty snazzy.

Gen 1 Cries
Gen 2 Cries
Gen 3 Cries
Gen 4 Cries
Gen 5 Cries

With that said I really wish GF would update Gen 1 and 2 cries. Screw tradition/nostalgia, a lot of them reuse the same sound and just alter the pitch. At least later gens made the cries very distinct.

I definitely like most of Gen 5 cries though - for some odd reason they're very alluring.

Some of them are good and actually sound like animals, but too many are annoying computer sounds that remind me of a broken record spinning.

Sanic

Maybe i'm just being nostalgic but I feel like the earlier cries have more character than the later generations, which just sound like low quality samples of real life sounds.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Flaafy's cry is absolutely heartwarming.

4E1iX.png

The Adder

Banned
Anyone else find them fascinating?

And you know what? Screw the anime - I like the cries in the games more because it makes them sound like an actual creature rather than a being with a creepy human-like word. That's why when monsters like Groudon and Kyogre were shown, I really love how they make wild growls rather than "KA-YO-GERRRRR!!!" Although the Regicries were pretty snazzy.

Gen 1 Cries

Oh god, I just nostalgia'd. Nostalgia'd everywhere. All over myself.

Shall I be the one to bring up Pokemon stadium? Factor 5 decided to try and make them sound more real...edit: I shall not, thanks Wichu :)

But honestly, Gamefreak games will never do that. Just like the Dragon quest sound effects, the Sonic Ring sound, its too much part of the experience.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
So Gaffers who got Junior'd can still create threads?

Eidan

The cries have gotten better with greater audio tech. Your Poke'troll doesn't work on this one.

Seems like you guys hear this kind of thing a lot. I'll admit, I haven't played a Pokemon game since Gold and Silver. Where can I go for someone to explain to me what the hell this is?

569Garbodor.png

The Adder

Banned
Seems like you guys hear this kind of thing a lot. I'll admit, I haven't played a Pokemon game since Gold and Silver. Where can I go for someone to explain to me what the hell this is?

569Garbodor.png

Basically, Grimer was water pollution, Garbador is land pollution. Also, it exploded out of its lower form's body, which I think is kind of cool.

A lot of people hate on Garbador, but I like his concept.

Mobius1

Designing these noises must be an excruciating job. I'm just imagining the meetings, having to play the same cry over and over as different people give their input "Hmm, I like the way that it screeches, but what if we added a kind of a melodic bit at the end?"

I'm just assuming Game Freak designs everything via committee based on the way the games turn out.

Wichu

569Garbodor.png

It's kinda like this:
089Muk.png

But with actual design effort put into it.

The newer Pokemon aren't any worse than the older ones, guys.

Eidan

It's kinda like this:
089Muk.png

But with actual design effort put into it.

The newer Pokemon aren't any worse than the older ones, guys.

Ok.

Well this seems like a sore subject, so I'll let it go. It was nice hearing the early Pokémon sounds though. Nice bit of nostalgia.

Boss Doggie

569Garbodor.png

You mean like Grimer, Muk, Voltorb and Electrode?

Hell, Garbador's concept is much better than Grimer and Muk - at least Garbador is useful according to its entry.

Man, we can't have nice stuff if posts like this happen :(

I feel like an idiot now for never thinking of using Pokemon cries as sms notifications

Yeah, it's very nice especially if they're on the right length.

Designing these noises must be an excruciating job. I'm just imagining the meetings, having to play the same cry over and over as different people give their input "Hmm, I like the way that it screeches, but what if we added a kind of a melodic bit at the end?"

I'm just assuming Game Freak designs everything via committee based on the way the games turn out.

Which is why I like the take of the games more than the anime using names as cries.

Alchemy

Nostalgia tells me to like the things that came before for no actual reason other than I'm familiar with one and not the other.

Also Garbador is a boss.

Boss Doggie

And I just realized that a bunch of mons give out farting sounds, particularly Skuntank (which I understand)... and Stunfisk? wut

The only cry I ever really remember is Staraptor.

And he's a fucking boss

Pretty stupid to lump all the criticizers in one. But whatever makes you guys happy.

It's annoying though because it reeks of preference being used as an objective tool. "Simple design" - yet people criticize Garbador for being "just a bunch of garbage".

Man this is about cries, none of the generation design wars.

CorvoSol

Goddamn..I died when they put wings on him..

Just remember that, no matter how truly awful the fan art, Mewtwo is still the coolest Pokemon.

1)Deep, MANLY voice that penetrates your brain.
2)Almost destroyed the world by literally flicking his wrist.
3)Kidnapped Nurse Joy and held her against her will for goodness knows how long.
4)Legitimately a better Pokemon trainer than Ash and everybody on the show.
5)EV and IV trained before it was cool.
6)Even in today's world, is able to go toe-to-toe with the very Gods of Pokemon.

Mewtwo is a boss.

Peagles

Argh damn you whoever posted Kricketune, I have an irrational HATE of that cry. I had to play with the sound off the whole time I was finding them in the wild.

Top Bottom