• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon for Nintendo Switch given a release date of "2018 or Later"

Josh5890

I wouldn't be surprised at all if fall 2018 sees a new pokemon mystery dungeon game released on the eds to fill the gap

Whilst I would like it sooner I'm ok with waiting a bit longer. I just want them to get the game right. I'm pretty sure this and smash bros are going to take up almost all of tiny switch gaming time.

7Th

Do people actually think GF has it in them to finish a full-blown HD Pokemon game with at least 70 new Pokemon and a new gimmick by 2018?

Do people actually think GF has it in them to finish a full-blown HD Pokemon game with at least 70 new Pokemon and a new gimmick by 2018?

AFAIK they never specified Game Freak. But I don't know if Gale of Darkness etc. count as core RPGs. If it is GF in 2018 I expect a remake rather than a new gen.

Kirby for 3DS is still Winter 2017...

I'd begun to think this was cross platform but apparently not.

Well all S&M assets are built in HD as have the Pokemon models since X/Y. Although I'd have lot more confidence in the project and development if a developer like Monolith soft assisted Game Freak with the development of the game. Game Freak struggled with the 3DS and I'd prefer for them to accept some more help to make a better experience than whatever engine Game Freak will haggle together for Switch.

Cartho

I mean, the 3DS waited until 2013 for X/Y, so the Switch waiting until 2019 wouldn't be that unheard of.

3DS was backwards compatible though. You could play lots of the mainline Pokemon games on it - Switch isn't getting mainline Pokemon until this game. Nintendo are probably desperate to get it out as soon as possible - they must know how it sells, I mean it's Nintendo's equivalent of GTA in terms of sales. Sun and Moon were solely responsible for stock shortages of the 3DS in the U.K. last Christmas - you struggled to find one anywhere until mid to late January. The shortages started right around the time Sun and Moon came out.

If I was one of the high ups at Nintendo I'd be offering GF every scrap of help I could - technical expertise etc. Similar to how MS and Sony sometimes send engineers out to dev teams to assist with getting games working.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
I'm going to assume either fall 18 or Spring 19 and I'm cool with that.

Geez, I think this'll be my first Pokemon RPG since whatever game came out around GBA SP time.

nubbe

It would be cool if the next Pokeman was a holiday game for 2018, but I imagine it will be in for the holiday 2019

Neoxon

Betting this means they'd like to have it out for fall 2018, but are hedging their bets in case it ends up in spring 2019.
I'm going to assume either fall 18 or Spring 19 and I'm cool with that.

Geez, I think this'll be my first Pokemon RPG since whatever game came out around GBA SP time.
If it doesn't make Fall-Holiday 2018, I'd imagine that they'd wait until Fall-Holiday 2019 (similar to the last 4 mainline Pokémon games).

3DS was backwards compatible though. You could play lots of the mainline Pokemon games on it - Switch isn't getting mainline Pokemon until this game. Nintendo are probably desperate to get it out as soon as possible - they must know how it sells, I mean it's Nintendo's equivalent of GTA in terms of sales. Sun and Moon were solely responsible for stock shortages of the 3DS in the U.K. last Christmas - you struggled to find one anywhere until mid to late January. The shortages started right around the time Sun and Moon came out.

If I was one of the high ups at Nintendo I'd be offering GF every scrap of help I could - technical expertise etc. Similar to how MS and Sony sometimes send engineers out to dev teams to assist with getting games working.

Based on what? It seems more FANS are desperate to play it than any indication whatsoever by Nintendo that they want it out sooner than later. I very much doubt they care about the Switch not being backwards compatible or that factoring in, or they wouldn't keep releasing 3DS games and wouldn't have announced the Ultra games

LordKano

AFAIK they never specified Game Freak. But I don't know if Gale of Darkness etc. count as core RPGs. If it is GF in 2018 I expect a remake rather than a new gen.

I'd begun to think this was cross platform but apparently not.

Colosseum/Gale of Darkness are technically RPGs but aren't "find, battle, train" experiences as mentioned for the Switch version.

If it doesn't make Fall-Holiday 2018, I'd imagine that they'd wait until Fall-Holiday 2019 (similar to the last 4 mainline Pokémon games).

I mean it's not like they need to. If anything has been proven in the past several years, as well as by Nintendo themselves with BOTW and the Switch proper, it's that spring is just fine to release a major game in. Until they started having the release dates match globally, Pokemon games released in Q1/Q2 all the time in NA. RSE, DPP, B/W.

In a situation where the game is nowhere near done by fall 2018, then yeah sure, put it on the calendar for fall 2019. If the game is done but just barely misses the holiday season, they're not going to sit on it for 8 months if they can make spring work.

Neoxon

I mean it's not like they need to. If anything has been proven in the past several years, as well as by Nintendo themselves with BOTW and the Switch proper, it's that spring is just fine to release a major game in. Until they started having the release dates match globally, Pokemon games released in Q1/Q2 all the time in NA. RSE, DPP, B/W.

In a situation where the game is nowhere near done by fall 2018, then yeah sure, put it on the calendar for fall 2019. If the game is done but just barely misses the holiday season, they're not going to sit on it for 8 months if they can make spring work.
I'm sure Nintendo would be fine with a Spring 2019 release, but The Pokémon Company seems to be sticking with the Fall-Holiday timeframe for the last few mainline releases.

Honestly would be a little confused if Pokemon didn't release next November-December. If Metroid is also super far out, what would be their year two tentpoles? Zelda/Mario this year, do they think Kirby/Yoshi are equivalent franchises for 2018? lol.

ghibli99

End of 2018, hopefully. MP4 too. 2018 doesn't look strong based just on the Nintendo titles. Some Retro news too, please.

TheFatMan

God I keep wishing they'd move Xenoblade to January but I keep having my hopes dashed, too much shit in November and December for me.

Hydrus

I'm calling it now: DP remake for 3DS November 2018. 2019 nothing. PKM Switch November 2020. There gonna release some new BS direct next year before E3 saying that they are hard at work on Switch, but they will release DP remake "to help the wait". TPCI waiting for that Switch user-base to build up for some more $$$$$.

Atheerios

It will be gen 8.

Stop saying a remake, that won't happen before a new gen on a new system.

There also won't be a DP remake in 3DS as all the placeholder IDs from Gen 7 games are used by S-M-US-UM

I'm calling it now: DP remake for 3DS November 2018. 2019 nothing. PKM Switch November 2020. There gonna release some new BS direct next year before E3 saying that they are hard at work on Switch, but they will release DP remake "to help the wait". TPCI waiting for that Switch user-base to build up for some more $$$$$.

...Are you really telling me that you think TPCi announced a Switch game three and a half years ahead of time?

Really?

Hydrus

...Are you really telling me that you think TPCi announced a Switch game three and a half years ahead of time?

Really?

Yup. Wouldn't be shocked if they struggle to even make a switch title. Also they just said they started developing titles for switch. Probably only because of all the backlash for not releasing US UM on switch.

Thinking Pokémon Mystery Dungeon too. We know it's in the works/under consideration

Considering that the Switch is leaps and bounds more powerful than the 3DS what would be the chances of a Pokémon XD Gales of Darkness types of spin off instead of Pokémon Mystery Dungeon? Nintendo is known to reuse assets so maybe they'll rub that habit off on Game Freak.

Neonep

2019. Book it. It takes a while to make a new generation especially when a new one started just last year. I also don't see why both this a MP4 can't both come out in 2019, the real question is what comes in 2018? Probably a new Smash Bros, won't be a port, it will be Smash 5 with a lot of reused assets from Smash 4.

2019. Book it. It takes a while to make a new generation especially when a new one started just last year. I also don't see why both this a MP4 can't both come out in 2019, the real question is what comes in 2018? Probably a new Smash Bros, won't be a port, it will be Smash 5 with a lot of reused assets from Smash 4.

Yep, Pokemon/Metroid, IMO can carry a year like Zelda/Mario, and 2019 is reasonable for both. It's just that 2018 is a ????????????

If there was a D/P remake it wouldn't be odd if that was the "Core Pokemon RPG" for Switch, being a lesser title to begin with (Switch not being at enormous marketshare levels being less of an issue) and acting as a testbed of Switch capabilities before they pushed ahead with a wholly new entry. November 2018 if possible or Q1 2019 if not.

By my reckoning the GBA was the last time we got a Pokemon RPG under 2 years from the system launch but some others have been not too far off the 2 year mark.

Top Bottom