• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon for Nintendo Switch given a release date of "2018 or Later"

If there was a D/P remake it wouldn't be odd if that was the "Core Pokemon RPG" for Switch, being a lesser title to begin with (Switch not being at enormous marketshare levels being less of an issue) and acting as a testbed of Switch capabilities before they pushed ahead with a wholly new entry. November 2018 if possible or Q1 2019 if not.

I've seen arguments against this but they rely on pretending that downloading a forwards compatibility patch in 202X would be a step too far.

JoeM86

Considering that the Switch is leaps and bounds more powerful than the 3DS what would be the chances of a Pokémon XD Gales of Darkness types of spin off instead of Pokémon Mystery Dungeon? Nintendo is known to reuse assets so maybe they'll rub that habit off on Game Freak.

I wouldn't expect that. Due to main games being on the same device now, it'd risk confusion

If there was a D/P remake it wouldn't be odd if that was the "Core Pokemon RPG" for Switch, being a lesser title to begin with (Switch not being at enormous marketshare levels being less of an issue) and acting as a testbed of Switch capabilities before they pushed ahead with a wholly new entry. November 2018 if possible or Q1 2019 if not.

By my reckoning the GBA was the last time we got a Pokemon RPG under 2 years from the system launch but some others have been not too far off the 2 year mark.

They're going from putting out Pokemon games on Gamecube-ish level hardware with a 240p screen to some rather capable machinery in The Switch, so I don't think they'd want to spoil the hype of what Pokemon games on Switch will look like by debuting with a remake. I would hope Nintendo/Game Freak are aware of how big a deal it is to finally be making a Pokemon game for a "home console" after fans have been imagining what it would be like since Red/Blue.

Neoxon

By my reckoning the GBA was the last time we got a Pokemon RPG under 2 years from the system launch but some others have been not too far off the 2 year mark.
If anything, I'd imagine that we'd get out D/P remakes after Gen 8. It'd be kinda weird for the Switch's first set of mainline Pokémon games to be remakes.

Diamond and Pearl remakes for 3DS confirmed?
I'm calling it now: DP remake for 3DS November 2018. 2019 nothing. PKM Switch November 2020. There gonna release some new BS direct next year before E3 saying that they are hard at work on Switch, but they will release DP remake "to help the wait". TPCI waiting for that Switch user-base to build up for some more $$$$$.
The 3DS already got its remakes (OR/AS), plus you can still play D/P on the 3DS.

Honestly would be a little confused if Pokemon didn't release next November-December. If Metroid is also super far out, what would be their year two tentpoles? Zelda/Mario this year, do they think Kirby/Yoshi are equivalent franchises for 2018? lol.
Nintendo still has Smash, Animal Crossing, & Fire Emblem to anchor 2018 if Pokémon Switch misses the 2018 holiday season. That's not even counting any potential new IPs that may drop next year.

Neonep

Ash still only has 4 pokemon, none of them have evolved. So you guys think by this time next year the whole region will have been wrapped up.

Also you guy think that they took 2015 off, follow up with a new gen in 2016, updated versions of those games in 2017, and then a new gen in 2018. Oh and also the new gen will be their first time on a console. That doesn't even sound realistic from a game development perspective.

Neoxon

Ash still only has 4 pokemon, none of them have evolved. So you guys think by this time next year the whole region will have been wrapped up.

Also you guy think that they took 2015 off, follow up with a new gen in 2016, updated versions of those games in 2017, and then a new gen in 2018. Oh and also the new gen will be their first time on a console. That doesn't even sound realistic from a game development perspective.
Again, I was referring to US/UM in 2017, a year break, & then Gen 8 in 2019.

ITSMILNER

Pokemon would be good as the November 2019 release on Switch.

Save 2018 as Animal Crossing and Mario Maker deluxe/2 as the big Winter 2018 releases

Hermii

Wouldnt it be funny if pokemon released at the end of the switch life cycle.
And the better version would be om the newer gen?

This happened to me when i bought the wii u day 1 for the new zelda 😂😂
That's on you for buying a new console for an unannounced game.

Cartho

Pokemon would be good as the November 2019 release on Switch.

Save 2018 as Animal Crossing and Mario Maker deluxe/2 as the big Winter 2018 releases

Is that really going to be able to carry them through the christmas period? Animal crossing maybe but Mario Maker? That's not in the same league as Pokemon, Smash, 3D Mario, Mario Kart of Zelda in terms of selling power. Surely? If Pokemon is skipping 2018 they need some true mega hits. Smash Brothers level.

I kinda feel like Smash is nearly ready to roll but, between ARMS and Pokken, they think the fighting genre is a little crowded right now and want to give it some breathing room. I mean I can't see ARMS surviving long once Smash arrives on Switch...

They said "over a year"at E3 in June. November 2018 would be a year and a half (ish) since that time. That is, as I'm sure you've spotted, "more than a year". November 2019 would be 2 and a half years.

I'm not sure they give a shit about fan outrage following USM being 3DS exclusive. I don't really see why they would have announced it if it was still 2 and a half years away. I think they're aiming for November 2018 but have given themselves some breathing room to allow it to slip to Spring 2019 if needed.

oti

Banned
Mario Maker is an interesting one, how will that game work without the 2 screens?

Handheld

Press button > Editor pops up > Edit via touchscreen

Nintendo could bundle in a dirt cheap stylus too.

Docked

Press button > Editor pops up > Drag and drop via motion or Pick and drop via buttons

Hermii

Mario Maker is an interesting one, how will that game work without the 2 screens?
That's just a rumor at this time.

I guess the course creator only works in handheld mode. Or while it wouldn't be optimal, pointer controls would work.

ITSMILNER

Is that really going to be able to carry them through the christmas period? Animal crossing maybe but Mario Maker? That's not in the same league as Pokemon, Smash, 3D Mario, Mario Kart of Zelda in terms of selling power. Surely? If Pokemon is skipping 2018 they need some true mega hits. Smash Brothers level.

I kinda feel like Smash is nearly ready to roll but, between ARMS and Pokken, they think the fighting genre is a little crowded right now and want to give it some breathing room. I mean I can't see ARMS surviving long once Smash arrives on Switch...

They said "over a year"at E3 in June. November 2018 would be a year and a half (ish) since that time. That is, as I'm sure you've spotted, "more than a year". November 2019 would be 2 and a half years.

I'm not sure they give a shit about fan outrage following USM being 3DS exclusive. I don't really see why they would have announced it if it was still 2 and a half years away. I think they're aiming for November 2018 but have given themselves some breathing room to allow it to slip to Spring 2019 if needed.

Thats why I would release Mario Maker alongside a new Animal Crossing or another big first party game. Mario Maker is a strange one as they can't remove anything from it they can only expand on the original so unless they add a ton of new features it will probably feel like a deluxe version

Mario Maker was really popular though, Incan easily see it being a huge success on Switch

I'd personally be happy if it was still 3 to 4 years off, but in return it's leap or upgrade for the series ends up feeling as monumentous as BotW did.

takriel

By the end of 2018 the Switch install base will be at 15+ million, that's enough for a mainline Pokemon game to sell gangbusters.

Cartho

I do think that, if Pokemon skips 2018 (and Metroid isn't coming out next year. No way), they are looking a little light on serious, "s-tier" franchises for 2018. I mean this year we had Zelda, Mario Kart, 3D Mario, Splatoon 2 and ARMS. While ARMS is never going to sell like Zelda or Mario, it's still being developed by the Mario Kart team and is a big, "AAA" Nintendo exclusive.

For 2018, in terms of those big "AAA" Nintendo exclusive games we've maybe got Animal Crossing (has anything even been announced for that yet?) and.... Fire Emblem? Yoshi and Kirby aren't what I would consider real "s-tier" franchises in the same vein as Pokemon or Zelda. Smash is still very much up in the air right now - we don't know what it is (Smash 4 redux? Smash 5?) and have heard absolutely bugger all in terms of real information from Nintendo. For all we know Smash 4 redux was just another rumour in the vein of Pokemon Stars being switch exclusive and coming out this year.

Pokemon would be an excellent grab for Nintendo in 2018 - if they have Animal Crossing, Pokemon, Smash, Yoshi, Kirby and Fire Emblem, along with whatever Platinum Games is cooking, that will be a decent spread of Nintendo exclusives. This is why I said earlier that Nintendo have got a vested interest in getting it made: it's arguably their biggest "exclusive" franchise in terms of selling power - the attach rates for a Pokemon RPG on Switch will be absolutely ridiculous, mark my words. Combine Pokemon with Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem and hopefully more 3rd party stuff and you've got a decent looking 2018.

Without Pokemon it's looking a little sparse AT THE MOMENT. Obviously there could be a hell of a lot more coming in 2018 which they haven't told us about yet.

By the end of 2018 the Switch install base will be at 15+ million, that's enough for a mainline Pokemon game to sell gangbusters.

People will buy the system for Pokemon regardless, so as long as supply has been sorted out I don't see why it matters what the install base is when the game releases.

Cartho

People will buy the system for Pokemon regardless, so as long as supply has been sorted out I don't see why it matters what the install base is when the game releases.

This ^.

I sometimes wonder if people realise what a juggernaut these games are in terms of sales - Sun and Moon, in 2 MONTHS, sold only slightly less copies than Battlefield 3 did in 5 years. They've now sold more copies than Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (not including the remaster though, not sure about that) in less than 1 year.

The thing is absolutely, balls to the wall insane in terms of it's ability to sell both software and hardware. Nintendo will 100% want it on Switch as soon as humanly possible, as long as they can get their supply chains sorted out. A Pokemon title around Christmas will mean they will sell every Switch they put on the shelves, almost no matter how many they produce.

Pokemaniac

Leading with a remake would be at odds with Game Freak's normal development model where major engine changes are synced with new generations.

It also probably wouldn't be particularly easier to develop than a new generation. The general designs of things would already be set, sure, but Diamond and Pearl aren't particularly conducive to direct ports to modern versions of the Pokémon engine. A bunch of aspects of those games (such as the Underground, the many HMs, the Pokétch) kind of rely on stuff that's been deemphasized or removed in more recent games.

It seems like a lot of work to avoid a problem that will likely be already solved by the time the game releases, and would create new problems by lessening the impact of the real new games.

This ^.

I sometimes wonder if people realise what a juggernaut these games are in terms of sales - Sun and Moon, in 2 MONTHS, sold only slightly less copies than Battlefield 3 did in 5 years. They've now sold more copies than Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (not including the remaster though, not sure about that) in less than 1 year.

The thing is absolutely, balls to the wall insane in terms of it's ability to sell both software and hardware. Nintendo will 100% want it on Switch as soon as humanly possible, as long as they can get their supply chains sorted out. A Pokemon title around Christmas will mean they will sell every Switch they put on the shelves, almost no matter how many they produce.

Yeah, it seems like the kind of game that should be used to build an install base more quickly and keep momentum going. The sweet spot for Pokemon is exactly the point where they have enough supply to keep up with the people who will buy a Switch to play the game, and not a day later. If anything, it wouldn't be terrible if stock was hard to find again for a week or two. But what you don't want is for the game to come when the Switch is three years old and every 3rd party out there has already decided which games, if any, they feel are ever worth bringing to the system.

ITSMILNER

I could see 2018 line up looking like

Jan:
Feb:
Mar:Kirby
Apr:
May:
June: Smash Deluxe (tie in at E3)
July: Yoshi
Aug:
Sept: Mario Maker Deluxe
Oct: Retro's game
Nov: Animal Crossing
Dec: Fire Emblem

Save Pokemon and MP4 for 2019

Neoxon

I could see 2018 line up looking like

Jan:
Feb:
Mar:Kirby
Apr:
May:
June: Smash Deluxe (tie in at E3)
July: Yoshi
Aug:
Sept: Mario Maker Deluxe
Oct: Retro's game
Nov: Animal Crossing
Dec: Fire Emblem

Save Pokemon and MP4 for 2019
Swap Animal Crossing & Smash and I'd agree. Maybe stick FE earlier in the year if it's ready.

Top Bottom