POKEMON GETTO DAZE! (Japan lines up)

moku said:
It could be bigger. If what I'm reading is sinking in correctly, the latest two will sell in 3days, what it took red/green/blue 51weeks to do. 3million.

http://www.vgcharts.org/japcomp.php?name1=Dragon+Quest+VIII&name2=Final+Fantasy+VIII


(VGcharts again. Numbers may be a tad higher then reality, or a tad lower. I just dont know)
Maybe not, worldwide DS phats/lite units sold is ~22 million according to wikipedia. It would be near impossible for D/P to reach the ~31 million copies the red/blue/green versions have sold worldwide (and that is with ~69 million original gameboys sold)

I can see it reaching 10 million and surpassing the sales of the GBA versions, but to reach the red/blue/green mark, they would have to sell even more DSs (as if they weren't selling out already)
 
Jun 2, 2005
7,839
0
1,185
BulletSmoke said:
Maybe not, worldwide DS phats/lite units sold is ~22 million according to wikipedia. It would be near impossible for D/P to reach the ~31 million copies the red/blue/green versions have sold worldwide (and that is with ~69 million original gameboys sold)

I can see it reaching 10 million and surpassing the sales of the GBA versions, but to reach the red/blue/green mark, they would have to sell even more DSs (as if they weren't selling out already)
I think he is talking about Japan only sales. When the first Pokemon games came out here in the US it already had months of a TV show, Cardgames, and other forms of advertising to get it up into the atmostphere in sales.
 
May 16, 2005
5,558
923
1,200
Stopsign said:
I think he is talking about Japan only sales. When the first Pokemon games came out here in the US it already had months of a TV show, Cardgames, and other forms of advertising to get it up into the atmostphere in sales.
Yeah I was. Should have mentioned that fact.
 
Jun 8, 2004
19,828
0
0
Neo Tokyo
moku said:
It could be bigger. If what I'm reading is sinking in correctly, the latest two will sell in 3days, what it took red/green/blue 51weeks to do. 3million.
There is no point in comparing current Pokemon with the first generation. It took a year to sell that much because the popularity of the series/game was built by word of mouth. Every new Pokemon release already has that heritage. However Nintendo did do a lot of extra stuff this time that may put it above the previous titles - running a 2hr special in the new TV show, adding really cool pre-order gifts, especially for people who buy both. This is undoubtedly going to be a) the fastest 3 million on DS, b) the best-selling Pokemon title in history... where it will stop, nobody knows.
 

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Mar 2, 2006
19,534
0
0
Jonnyram said:
There is no point in comparing current Pokemon with the first generation. It took a year to sell that much because the popularity of the series/game was built by word of mouth. Every new Pokemon release already has that heritage. However Nintendo did do a lot of extra stuff this time that may put it above the previous titles - running a 2hr special in the new TV show, adding really cool pre-order gifts, especially for people who buy both. This is undoubtedly going to be a) the fastest 3 million on DS, b) the best-selling Pokemon title in history... where it will stop, nobody knows.
you see, im not too sure about this one.
 

Mar

Member
Aug 16, 2006
10,279
0
0
Sydney
www.gamecrux.com
I have no interest really in the pokeman games. But reading about the sales, the lines and those crazy Japanese is incredibly facinating. In fact the whole DS thing in Japan is mind blowing.

Neko Tsukimi said:
Suddenly, I'm having a really hard time wrapping my head around this... The numbers, the lines... Oi... And now I actually want the game. Been several years since I've picked up a Pokemon game.
Damn you! Your avatar is one of two on this forum that I can never drag my eyes away from! It's just too... cute. It's like the complete opposite of a car accident.
 

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Jun 6, 2004
23,074
0
1,565
36
Nara, Japan
www.bookofrevenant.com
Neko Tsukimi said:
Suddenly, I'm having a really hard time wrapping my head around this... The numbers, the lines... Oi... And now I actually want the game. Been several years since I've picked up a Pokemon game.
Once it dawned upon me how awesome the DS games could potentially be, I snagged a copy of Emerald for like $20 and played it for a while not having played one in a while. I'm surprised how deep the series has become.
Question that is dumb. I haven't paid attention. I know you can wi-fi trade. Battle too?
 
Jun 8, 2004
14,373
0
0
RevenantKioku said:
Once it dawned upon me how awesome the DS games could potentially be, I snagged a copy of Emerald for like $20 and played it for a while not having played one in a while. I'm surprised how deep the series has become.
Question that is dumb. I haven't paid attention. I know you can wi-fi trade. Battle too?
Yup, I believe so.
 

Link

The Autumn Wind
Jun 6, 2004
28,521
2
1,420
Sep 10, 2005
12,563
0
0
TheKingsCrown said:


(I tried, my skillz weren't up to par)
Only 650,000 DS sales? :p
Edit: Actually, that does kind of bring up an interesting point: the chart may need to be made taller just for this week.



RevenantKioku said:
Once it dawned upon me how awesome the DS games could potentially be, I snagged a copy of Emerald for like $20 and played it for a while not having played one in a while. I'm surprised how deep the series has become.
Question that is dumb. I haven't paid attention. I know you can wi-fi trade. Battle too?
Awesome, another person who gets it. :D
And yeah, battles too.
 
Oct 27, 2005
13,451
29
1,375
Sigh, I've never played a Pokemon game and I'm not really a fan of RPGs... but this craziness is just about too much for me. And the prospect of online battles/trading sounds awesome.

Should I jump into the series with Pearl/Diamond? And if so, which of the two? I can't imagine it matters too much, right?
 
Sep 10, 2005
12,563
0
0
Battersea Power Station said:
Sigh, I've never played a Pokemon game and I'm not really a fan of RPGs... but this craziness is just about too much for me. And the prospect of online battles/trading sounds awesome.

Should I jump into the series with Pearl/Diamond? And if so, which of the two? I can't imagine it matters too much, right?
If you mean "should I finally try this series?", then yes. :p

If you mean "would Pearl/Diamond be the best first Pokemon games to play?", I'd probably still have to say yes just because, based on everything I've been reading over the past few days--and it's a lot--they've finally worked out most of the balancing issues that previously made a bunch of Pokemon "unusable" battle-wise. For the first time, I think it's legitimate to say that someone could make a team of their favorites and do really well, as opposed to just sticking to the strong ones you may or may not like, since now almost everything is strong.

That said... if the thought of investing that amount of money into a new game that you don't know much about isn't too apepaling, you could give serious thought to Fire Red or Leaf Green, since 1) they're already out, 2) they're $20 new as of next week, and 3) they are remakes of the GB originals with the mechanics of the GBA sequels, so they would give about as good a feel as anything for what the series is like in general, though of course it's progressed since then.
 
May 17, 2006
12,153
0
0
I've never really played any of the main games, but I have tried the gameboy card game version, and it was surprisingly fun. How do the main games compare to the CCG?
 
Mar 9, 2006
650
0
0
35
ayumiin.blogspot.com
Llyranor said:
I've never really played any of the main games, but I have tried the gameboy card game version, and it was surprisingly fun. How do the main games compare to the CCG?
The main games are so much more fun, unless you're not that crazy about RPGs. The random battles do get annoying and you're forced into battles with escapees from Neveland Valley Ranch often... But there's a lot to explore and a lot to get sidetracked with... I liked :D