• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Go Pokestops are now being removed

johnsmith

remember me
This is the statement from a local library that got fed up with having people there 24/7. This definitely won't be the last as there's lots of other stories online of stops being removed.

http://www.provolibrary.com/blog/12...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Earlier last month, we were surprised to discover that the Provo City Library had 4 Pokéstops in the new Pokémon GO mobile game. We watched as players started gathering on our front lawn during all hours of the day and night catching Pokémon, trading stories and coming together as a community. The game and its players brought an incredible amount of energy to the library.

However, because of the unexpected costs and increased problems we experienced, we requested the Pokémon stops be removed from the library. We were notified on August 2 that our request had been approved. The Pokéstops were then removed more quickly than we expected and we regret that we were not able to inform our publics in advance. Moving forward, we want to preserve the love and enthusiasm for this game in a manner that is safe and sustainable. At the current time, we are unable to provide an environment for Pokémon GO on such a massive scale.

As we looked at options available to us, we tried to determine a course of action that preserved the fun and enthusiasm for the game while also helping us take care of our building and minimize the possibility of a dangerous situation. We were notified of the many concerns from our patrons, the city and the players. We talked with numerous officials throughout Provo City; we talked with our staff; we talked to players in the community.

Some of our concerns were minor: increased wear on our grass; an increase in our building’s power consumption; a dramatic increase in the amount of trash brought to the property. Other behaviors were more concerning: we witnessed people selling food and other items—like our electricity—without a permit; we witnessed many players frustrated when their cars were locked in our underground parking overnight; we’ve had complaints about noise levels and activity from surrounding properties. Parking for library events and activities became difficult as event attendees had to park blocks away from the library. Alcohol consumption on the library grounds was also reported. Most concerning were the injuries that occurred on property while playing Pokémon Go that could not be ignored by the library.

We are grateful for the support we have received from the community in our continual desire to provide library services, and hope that our community members will continue to find things to love at the Provo City Library.

ikAdjWO.jpg

egruntz

shelaughz
Absolute madness how much of an affect this game has had on society. Never seen anything like this. Helping small business boom, being a complete burden to others. Getting people outdoors and socializing. Getting people outside and getting hurt.

Wow.

StayDead

How about rather than removing them completely, they move them slightly further away so they're not in the middle of a library or something.

Persona7

Banned
How about rather than removing them completely, they move them slightly further away so they're not in the middle of a library or something.

Why? Just get rid of them if the property owner doesn't want idiots fucking up their property.

Yeah I'm pretty sure any place that is set as a pokestop can just make a request to niantic and they'll be removed pretty quickly.

Pokestops should be at places like this so they're safe to visit, but they should always have the right to be removed

Stimpack

Absolute madness how much of an affect this game has had on society. Never seen anything like this. Helping small business boom, being a complete burden to others. Getting people outdoors and socializing. Getting people outside and getting hurt.

Wow.

Pokéffect

SalvaPot

Makes sense, ideally more local businesses should get PokeStop to increase traffic and get a profit out of it, and public facilities, that usually have a tight budget, should request the removal of the pokestop, like this library did, because its clearly not cost-effective to them.

Firemind

I've seen a local fire department get removed as a gym. Maybe the firemen were too busy catching Pokemon or something. :lol

JazzmanZ

it's kind of funny how a double edged sword the pokestops can be.

On one hand you could experience an increase in customers to your place, on another hand too many can start causing some big problems.

This title is a little clickbaity, since I understand for just reading the title that Niantic will removes the pokestops features from the app...

Chaos17

Removal of dangerous or inapropriate (like private property) places is understable but not wiping all pokespots and gyms from a town.

Before
yihocvu.jpg

After
7ahacwl.jpg

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemongo/comments/4w4s1s/they_removed_over_20_pokestops_4_gyms_from_my/

Also anyone can request a withdrawal without any kind of security check from Niantic, so if you live in the middle of bunch of haters, just like the guy in my screenshot, you're screwed.
It would be less a problem if we could summit new spots or gyms but we can't.

Durden77

There was a gym at a buisness near my work that was right on their front lawn and was removed. There were always people parked by their fountain (the gym), including me, and they must've got fed up with it. It's a very "refined" building.

Near where I live, the police stepped in to ask the developer to remove a Pokestop from a visibly marked Hell's Angel's clubhouse.

ymgve

Removal of dangerous or inapropriate (like private property) places is understable but not wiping all pokespots and gyms from a town.

Before
yihocvu.jpg

After
7ahacwl.jpg

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemongo/comments/4w4s1s/they_removed_over_20_pokestops_4_gyms_from_my/

Also anyone can request a withdrawal without any kind of security check from Niantic, so if you live in the middle of bunch of haters, just like the guy in my screenshot, you're screwed.
It would be less a problem if we could summit new spots or gyms but we can't.

That totally looks like a bug, though. The area covered is large enough that at least some stops should remain even if someone complained.

nubbe

In Sweden certain agencies has requested that some stops be removed since they pose a danger for the public and individuals

The Argus

Or people lingering too close to the facility is a hazard in case of emergency response.

Exactly. I lived next door to a firehouse for a year in Brooklyn. They move fast. Hell they even remotely change the traffic lights when rushing out. People glued to their phone out front would be a delay, and even if it's a few seconds that can be huge when dealing with a fire or health emergency.

I'm vacationing in rural midcoast Maine at the moment and Pokestops seem to gather the public. I don't see this in NYC because there is one every few blocks.

N° 2048

lol @ people actually selling other people's electricity. wtf?

Were poke-dudes standing next to random outlets or something and charging people?

: we witnessed people selling food and other items—like our electricity—without a permit

Or people lingering too close to the facility is a hazard in case of emergency response.

Yeah, I would think any emergency service building wouldn't be included for this reason.

I actually made the comment about damage to parks and increased city costs to a few friends. Their response was essentially that's what it's made for. But, even Central Park gives sections of the grass a break under normal wear and tear, so I can't imagine the increased traffic making that any easier to handle.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
I noticed tonight that the pokestops inside Amsterdam Central Station were gone. Hopefully just a bug...

MANUELF

Banned
Where can I request more pokestops and gyms in my town? Is a 30k population town and we have 3 pokestops and no gyms :(

Persona7

Banned
Glad nobody has a reason to go to a library now. Good job, guys.

It's not like these idiots were inside reading. It sounds like they were outside making a mess, wasting electricity, getting drunk, being a nuisance and probably walking into the library only to use the bathrooms.

It's not like these idiots were inside reading. It sounds like they were outside making a mess, wasting electricity, getting drunk, being a nuisance and probably walking into the library only to use the bathrooms.

This is assuming a lot. Jeez.
Pokemon Go is definitely a positive force in bringing people into parks/etc. They aren't only a nuisance.

Vex_

Banned
Requested a removal of a pokestop since the game launched for my building as well. It was still there last I checked.

Gonna submit another request.... again I guess.

My town literally has 4 Pokestops, and two are about a block off the actual location the Pokestop shows. One is a library but I've yet to see a huge crowd at any time.

Guess it works better for a library in a small town instead of a big city.

Wish they would add back in being able to request a Pokestop, although for my feeble town I'd have to suggest stupid things like the WalMart or McDonald's.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Okay for removals, but they should be relocated instead of removed ffs.
Do they even accept pokestop adding requests?

Idiots? Most places like this have a great vibe with kids and families and a friendly atmosphere. That being said it's okay for placed who don't want crowds no matter how well behaved sitting around all day.

Chaos17

That totally looks like a bug, though. The area covered is large enough that at least some stops should remain even if someone complained.

Unfortunaly, it's not.
And beleive it or not they're a lot of haters who dislike seeing too many people in public place, like these.

All are parks
http://abc11.com/news/rocky-mount-wants-out-of-pokemon-go/1445429/
http://kotaku.com/sick-of-pokemon-go-local-government-asks-game-to-remov-1784227881
http://www.tampabay.com/news/public...emove-ballast-point-park-from-list-of/2287365
http://www.news.com.au/technology/h...o/news-story/41fa747381248cbd36bb6c39c4be7940
http://www.news.com.au/technology/h...s/news-story/2556a9412256f6f587b08e7c8f537e42

Okay for removals, but they should be relocated instead of removed ffs.
Do they even accept pokestop adding requests?

Nope

Huh, they were on their website for a little while but I see now that they've stopped.

That's BS.

In all fairness, so many submissions are entered at once that going through the process of reviewing and adding them to the game could take months even if the box was only open for a few days.

Maximus P

lol @ people actually selling other people's electricity. wtf?

Were poke-dudes standing next to random outlets or something and charging people?

I'm guessing people were plugging in portable chargers in the library then offering people charge for cash.

There's a private cricket club near me that can't be accessed at night and happens to be a pokestop, I heard from a friend of mine yesterday that kids have jumped the fence at night and ruined the green . I'm guessing that they'll be removing that one soon. Its a shame that they can't look alternate places to place them rather than remove them completely. There's 24hr places near by like fast food restaurant that would probably love the extra foot fall.

Top Bottom