• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon: Let's Go - Mega Evolutions and more!

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

Developer: GameFreak
Release Date: November 6th, 2018
Platform(s): Nintendo Switch

Nintendo and GameFreak released a new trailer alongside new information regarding the features of the more simplified Nintendo Switch Debut for the Pokemon RPG games. Gematsu has once again compiled a lot of the new features which can be seen through this link as well as quoted below.

Gematsu said:
■ Prepare for Mega Evolution

Many Pokemon can evolve into new Pokemon, but were you aware that there is also “the Evolution that transcends Evolution”? It’s called Mega Evolution, and it’s a way to gain power beyond even what normal Evolution would grant. The might of Mega Evolution momentarily unleashes the energy within a Pokemon, and it can only be accomplished through a strong bond between a Pokemon and its Trainer.

In Pokemon: Let’s Go, Pikachu! and Pokemon: Let’s Go, Eevee!, you can Mega Evolve certain Pokemon once per battle if you have a Key Stone and a Mega Stone that corresponds to that specific Pokemon. Deciding which Pokemon to Mega Evolve—and when—will be a critical factor in deciding who wins a battle.

Let’s take a look at some of the Pokemon you’ll be able to Mega Evolve in the game.

Mega Venusaur

When Venusaur Mega Evolves into Mega Venusaur, the flower on its back grows larger and its legs become thicker and stronger to support its extra weight. Its Defense and Sp. Def greatly increase, allowing it to withstand just about any attack thrown at it.

Mega Charizard X / Mega Charizard Y

Charizard can Mega Evolve into two forms: Mega Charizard X and Mega Charizard Y. In each battle, choose the form that will give you the most advantage.

Mega Charizard X’s body color changes to black, and its flames turn blue because they burn so much hotter. It also changes types from a Fire- and Flying-type Pokemon to a Fire- and Dragon-type Pokemon.

Mega Charizard Y retains its orange coloring, but it gains sharp horns, a longer tail, and larger wings. It can fly faster than a jet plane!

Mega Blastoise

Blastoise normally has two water cannons on its shell, but when it Mega Evolves, the two cannons merge into a single large cannon that uses the power of Mega Evolution to launch superpowerful blasts. Its Sp. Atk greatly increases as well, allowing for more aggressive tactics in battle.

■ Vermilion City

Vermilion City is the largest port city in the Kanto region. This charming seaside location is home to the Vermilion City Gym. Be on the lookout for the luxury cruise liner the S.S. Anne, which stops here once per year.

■ Team Rocket Brings the Trouble

During your travels through the Kanto region, you’re bound to cross paths with members of the sinister organization Team Rocket. This dastardly group plots to steal and use Pokemon for their own nefarious ends! You can easily recognize Team Rocket Grunts by their black uniforms and the large R on their chests.

You’ll need to fight Team Rocket on several occasions to hamper their plans. With enough determination, you may even discover the leader of this band of ruffians.

Although you’ll battle many Team Rocket Grunts throughout your adventure, a particular trio of troublemakers will repeatedly rear their mischievous heads. Jessie, James, and Meowth are frequent foes in Pokemon: Let’s Go, Pikachu! and Pokemon: Let’s Go, Eevee!

These notable Team Rocket members like to send out their Poison-type Pokemon Ekans and Koffing, so make sure you’re prepared to fight!

I am still lukewarm on this game. I love the updated graphics and how nice everything looks on the Switch (and seeing Kanto in 3D is a delight), but the overly dumbed down gameplay that was already easily playable by most kindergartners (as that was my level of schooling when the original released in the US), just seems unnecessary. What are all y'alls thoughts?

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
What are all y'alls thoughts?

It's going to be pretty boring for seasoned Pokémon players I'd imagine, but at least they got ahead of it early enough to let everybody know that this is an introductory game for people new to the franchise. I'm still gonna pick it up to check out how it plays on Switch, but I'm looking forward to the next gen a lot more than this.

Still torn.
Do characters finally have dubbed voice?
Did they finally update all the non-mascot pokemon noises instead of having the 8-bit ones?
Did they finally make IVs cannon so that we don't need hack and constant checking on external apps?
Are all the mega-evolutions there, and these finally permanent?
What about z-moves?
Did they adjust shiny rates so that the rarer the pokemon the higher the rate of find one?
What about Alolans?
Etc...and so on.

But definitely interested. Except for Venusaur jumping like a frog, fuck that.

Last edited:

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
I'd rather they revived the idea of a main series game based around the TCG. The cards and deck building strategies are just inherently so much more enjoyable and dynamic to me (playing with my son a whole lot the past year) than anything in the traditional adventures.

Definitely going to buy it, even though it's not what I'm wanting of a Switch Pokemon game. Looks like a fun game for me and my daughter to play together, more so with its Pokemon Go synergy.

Fbh

Everything about this game just looks bland.

I realize I'm not the intended audience though. Still, I'd feel better if we had seen a bit of the new game instead of just "sometime late next year"

I'd rather they revived the idea of a main series game based around the TCG. The cards and deck building strategies are just inherently so much more enjoyable and dynamic to me (playing with my son a whole lot the past year) than anything in the traditional adventures.

This made me remember that I used to love the GBC trading card adaptation as a kid .

As a huge fan of the last pokemon game (Ultra Sun/Moon), this looks like garbage.

Too much gen 1 pandering. I'm sick of it already.

Top Bottom