Pokemon Live-Action Movie a Go at Legendary (Detective Pikachu)

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
Apr 30, 2013
twitter.com
http://variety.com/2016/film/news/pokemon-movie-live-action-legendary-1201818838/

Legendary Entertainment has won the rights to a Pokemon movie and is partnering with the Pokémon Company to launch a live-action film franchise with a “Detective Pikachu” movie.

Legendary said details are being kept under wraps but added that the film will be fast-tracked for production to start in 2017.

Pokémon was introduced in Japan in 1996 and has sold 279 million video games worldwide with 21.5 billion cards shipped to 74 countries, and an animated series spanning 19 seasons. The hugely popular Pokemon Go app recently saw the pocket monsters surge back into the pop culture consciousnesses.

Universal Pictures will handle distribution of the live-action film outside Japan as it has done with Legendary’s other films for years.

The Pokémon Company’s long time movie collaborator, Toho, will handle distribution of the film franchise in Japan, as it had similarly done in its partnership with Legendary on the reboot for the Godzilla franchise
Danny DeVito please

Sep 28, 2008
It's not a terrible idea. I think people liked the idea of Detective Pikachu when it was announced as a 3DS game (and hopefully, we'll eventually see that game outside of Japan one day). It could be charming and work if done right.

Mar 18, 2015
I guess if this is gonna happen, Detective Pikachu is a pretty good way to do it, but this still shouldn't be happening at all... It's just such a bad idea. Live-action Pokemon just seems impossible to get right.
They could 100% play it straight like Mortal Kombat did. Ash using Pikachu to stop Giovanni from TAKING OVER THE WORLD WITH MEWTWO

Apr 16, 2011
Seriously though, I hope they don't bag a cast that's utter dogshit. They need the right picks. Never thought I'd say this, but a Chris Pratt/Pikachu duo is the kinda thing they need. Kerlassic Komedy laughs as the pair twat around, clumsily solving high profile cases.

Jun 13, 2008
Why....Detective Pikachu? What's the main idea of that game, and is there any reason why that makes more sense than just doing a straight up Pokemon movie?

Regardless, this shit should have been a no brainer YEARS ago. I assume Nintendo was the hold up after how the Mario Bros movie turned out though.

Jul 7, 2009
Why....Detective Pikachu? What's the main idea of that game, and is there any reason why that makes more sense than just doing a straight up Pokemon movie?

Regardless, this shit should have been a no brainer YEARS ago. I assume Nintendo was the hold up after how the Mario Bros movie turned out though.
Because seeing Ash lose another league is boring.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
Apr 30, 2013
twitter.com

Pikachu is still the most recognizable Pokémon, it's a good starting point. Cheaper to stick to 1-10 Pokémon instead of hundreds. Also generally sounds like it'd make a better story.

If I had to guess, it's probably the only story they would sign off on. They're super protective of the brand and probably don't want outside writers making things too gritty or violent.

Honestly, think about how much hollywood would pervert the Pokemon story if left to the people at legendary.