Pokemon Live-Action Movie a Go at Legendary (Detective Pikachu)

Mar 1, 2011
If you're looking at a single standalone movie with an eye to possible sequels, doing a self-contained story like Detective Pikachu's probably more sensible than trying to cram one of the games' stories into a movie, or trying to tell the story of a full-blown trainer's journey.

Legendary seem okay in my book for Godzilla which was mostly by them. Most of their other works seem to be alongside others, like the Nolan Batman movies.

And yeah, Detective Pikachu might actually be a genius choice for a Pokemon movie. I hope it is a very faithful CG Pikachu in the real world (which the game seemingly actually is).

But, there can only be one voice; the Trashman! :D

Oct 10, 2009
A detective movie with Pokemon is much easier than crafting one out of the main line games.
Yeah, I'm not sure what a "regular" Pokemon movie would be at this point. Ash? Red? Team Rocket? There's so much existing lore to work around unless they wanted to start the characters fresh. Pikachu is still probably the most recognizable character in all of Pokemon.

MisterHero

Jul 24, 2007
abload.de
Yeah, I'm not sure what a "regular" Pokemon movie would be at this point. Ash? Red? Team Rocket? There's so much existing lore to work around unless they wanted to start the characters fresh. Pikachu is still probably the most recognizable character in all of Pokemon.
Ash and his friends explore the world while riding the edge of nobility and cruelty that is Pokémon fighting. Some choose to be Pokebreeders, Pokescientists, Gym leaders and so on, but evil such as Team Rocket create the need for Pokémon Masters. And thus the world turns to Ash.

yes

Sep 5, 2011
I expected there to be a movie after all the rumors... but Detective Pikachu? Thats how Pokemon is going back to theaters in a wide audience... fuck it I'm in.

I imagine Legendary sitting in a room with TPC just shouting ideas out to get the rights. lol

Dec 7, 2005
A straight live action adaptation probably would end up feeling disjointed, like the Pokemon Origins special. It's just not a good structure for a movie even if they have more screentime, due to the Gym leader quest.

May 24, 2014
Uh oh

Legendary made video game movie

Warcraft is an awful movie that bombed in the west but was saved by China which is why it's one of the highest grossing video game adaptations.
I wonder if they can handle making this any good

Jun 13, 2008
Pikachu is still the most recognizable Pokémon, it's a good starting point. Cheaper to stick to 1-10 Pokémon instead of hundreds. Also generally sounds like it'd make a better story.
I mean, you could have done that with regular Pokemon though right? Arguably the main reason why Pikachu is so popular (considering he wasn't even a starter Pokemon in the game) is because he was the focus of the show. I'm just curious, because I honestly have no idea what the concept of Detective Pikachu is lol. Maybe if someone could explain the main idea/concept of it, it would make more sense to me.

May 24, 2014
I mean, you could have done that with regular Pokemon though right? Arguably the main reason why Pikachu is so popular (considering he wasn't even a starter Pokemon in the game) is because he was the focus of the show. I'm just curious, because I honestly have no idea what the concept of Detective Pikachu is lol. Maybe if someone could explain the main idea/concept of it, it would make more sense to me.
There's a Pikachu that can talk to humans and he's a detective

Nov 27, 2007
I mean a buddy cop movie with Pikachu being able to talk seems fairly easy to work around and market. I mean I didn't expect a new take on Ash or anything so this works.