• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Live-Action Movie a Go at Legendary (Detective Pikachu)

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
http://variety.com/2016/film/news/pokemon-movie-live-action-legendary-1201818838/

Legendary Entertainment has won the rights to a Pokemon movie and is partnering with the Pokémon Company to launch a live-action film franchise with a “Detective Pikachu” movie.

Legendary said details are being kept under wraps but added that the film will be fast-tracked for production to start in 2017.

Pokémon was introduced in Japan in 1996 and has sold 279 million video games worldwide with 21.5 billion cards shipped to 74 countries, and an animated series spanning 19 seasons. The hugely popular Pokemon Go app recently saw the pocket monsters surge back into the pop culture consciousnesses.

Universal Pictures will handle distribution of the live-action film outside Japan as it has done with Legendary’s other films for years.

The Pokémon Company’s long time movie collaborator, Toho, will handle distribution of the film franchise in Japan, as it had similarly done in its partnership with Legendary on the reboot for the Godzilla franchise

Danny DeVito please

LiK

Danny Devito pls

detectivepikito.jpg

Andrefpvs

DDV

No but seriously, I was apprehensive about the idea of a live-action Pokémon movie, but Detective Pikachu seems like a good fit actually.

blamite

I guess if this is gonna happen, Detective Pikachu is a pretty good way to do it, but this still shouldn't be happening at all... It's just such a bad idea. Live-action Pokemon just seems impossible to get right.

Well at least it's not Pokemon Go and the idea of a Detective Pikachu movie actually doesn't sound too bad, I hope they cast Danny Devito or Joe Peschi.

OmegaFax

It's not a terrible idea. I think people liked the idea of Detective Pikachu when it was announced as a 3DS game (and hopefully, we'll eventually see that game outside of Japan one day). It could be charming and work if done right.

KingBroly

Banned
I guess if this is gonna happen, Detective Pikachu is a pretty good way to do it, but this still shouldn't be happening at all... It's just such a bad idea. Live-action Pokemon just seems impossible to get right.

They could 100% play it straight like Mortal Kombat did. Ash using Pikachu to stop Giovanni from TAKING OVER THE WORLD WITH MEWTWO

Seriously though, I hope they don't bag a cast that's utter dogshit. They need the right picks. Never thought I'd say this, but a Chris Pratt/Pikachu duo is the kinda thing they need. Kerlassic Komedy laughs as the pair twat around, clumsily solving high profile cases.

Why....Detective Pikachu? What's the main idea of that game, and is there any reason why that makes more sense than just doing a straight up Pokemon movie?

Regardless, this shit should have been a no brainer YEARS ago. I assume Nintendo was the hold up after how the Mario Bros movie turned out though.

Dennis

Banned
Why....Detective Pikachu? What's the main idea of that game, and is there any reason why that makes more sense than just doing a straight up Pokemon movie?

Regardless, this shit should have been a no brainer YEARS ago. I assume Nintendo was the hold up after how the Mario Bros movie turned out though.

Because seeing Ash lose another league is boring.

MisterHero

YOU HAD ONE JOB, POKEMON COMPANY

well, you have several merchandizing enterprises, but your movie licensing people are wack

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?

Pikachu is still the most recognizable Pokémon, it's a good starting point. Cheaper to stick to 1-10 Pokémon instead of hundreds. Also generally sounds like it'd make a better story.

I would've thought they would take this opportunity to make Pokemon Origins into a Movie.
Original 151 Pokemon, Red, and the original games.

Mesoian

If I had to guess, it's probably the only story they would sign off on. They're super protective of the brand and probably don't want outside writers making things too gritty or violent.

Honestly, think about how much hollywood would pervert the Pokemon story if left to the people at legendary.

...the Pokémon movie is going to be based not on the mainline games or the anime, but instead on a 3DS eShop spinoff that hasn't even been announced for release outside Japan? well, okay

...the Pokémon movie is going to be based not on the mainline games or the anime, but instead on a 3DS eShop spinoff that hasn't even been announced for release outside Japan? well, okay

To be fair, it's probably way easier to set up a movie length story with Detective Pikachu rather than the mainline games.

So both that Sonic movie that's supposed to come out and this are going to be live-action with CGI cartoon characters?

Have we learned nothing from Sonic 06?

1K5xFQEl.png

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Nintendo is clever. They're using western studios' zeal for Pokemon Go to market Detective Pikachu.

Top Bottom