• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Live-Action Movie a Go at Legendary (Detective Pikachu)

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
People might throw a fit over the "animal fighting for the amusement of trainers" aspect of a regular Pokémon story, so this is one way of dodging that bullet.

not to mention the games themselves don't really offer much to be turned into a movie

Salsa

I mean, there's already a focus on Pikachu? Obviously as the series mascot, but even a lot of the recent merch has been centered on them.

im mainly going thinking of the landis pitch cause it looked like it was gonna happen, and it was this:

UoawuDv.png

again.. "looked". I dont see how this gets greenlit without PIKACHU in big bold letters, but he did apparently pitch it 4 times

Matt_C

I know it is a chiched meme but it would be epic if Idris Elba plays the role of Detective Pikachu. He has the deep voice, a know done voice work in the past, his work in Luther, and it is a lead role. My second choice is Matthew McConaughey because of his involvement in True Dectective.

18-Volt

Dream cast (not the console):
Danny Devito as Pikachu
Elijah Wood as Christopher Robin looking kid
Benedict Cumberbatch as Sneasel the serial murderer
Brian Cranston as Chief Inspector Piplup
Kristen Schaal as romantic interest of Pikachu, witness Miss Audino
Jonah Hill as comic relief police cadet Wailord
Liam Neeson as Prof. Oak, kid's college/High school teacher
Channing Tatum as Lt Surge, the bully in school
Vin Diesel as Blaine, kid's wise next door neighbour
Martin Freeman as Slowking, Pikachu's retarded Patrick-like best friend

Fisty

I know it is a chiched meme but it would be epic if Idris Elba plays the role of Detective Pikachu. He has the deep voice, a know done voice work in the past, his work in Luther, and it is a lead role. My second choice is Matthew McConaughey because of his involvement in True Dectective.

Too easy, it would be pretty obvious who the Yellow King is

MisterHero

Dream cast (not the console):
Danny Devito as Pikachu
Elijah Wood as Christopher Robin looking kid
Benedict Cumberbatch as Sneasel the serial murderer
Brian Cranston as Chief Inspector Piplup
Kristen Schaal as romantic interest of Pikachu, witness Miss Audino
Jonah Hill as comic relief police cadet Wailord
Liam Neeson as Prof. Oak, kid's college/High school teacher
Channing Tatum as Lt Surge, the bully in school
Vin Diesel as Blaine, kid's wise next door neighbour
Martin Freeman as Slowking, Pikachu's retarded Patrick-like best friend
You know the best thing about talking Pokémon

they can't use any moves, or have very limited moves

casiopao

I want the show to had 3 Pikachu detectives all trying to outsmart each other here and all with different VA.^_^

1, Peter Dinklage
2. Liam Neeson
3. Steve Martin.

All three will be trying to solve the mystery of Lavender town lol.^_^

Edit: Actually what is with all this confused response here. ISn't the GAME "Detective Pikachu" had been released in Japan last year and fans had said that it is actually quite good there? So why the hate here?

Toothless

They literally bought a license that could print money with a standard live action movie ala Transformers or better if it had a good director... but they're wasting on fucking Detective Pikachu??

Hollywood makes no sense.

casiopao

They literally bought a license that could print money with a standard live action movie ala Transformers or better if it had a good director... but they're wasting on fucking Detective Pikachu??

Well, TPC and Nintendo maybe the one who dictate what kind of adaptation they are allowed to make and considering how The Detective Pikachu game reception in Japan is quite positive, i can see how the think making a Detective Pikachu title is much safer for sure.

Boss Doggie

Detective Pikachu has an easy to adapt into movie format.

Also using Transformers is an offensive comparison and you should be slapped for that.

NimbusD

So I guess something like chipmunks? Hope it's at least in the world of pokemon and not like, real world that just happens to have a pikachu.

...I'm very ok with this. An interesting take on a franchise that could make it both entertaining to adults and kids. Let's see how it develops.

ash_ag

I'm glad they're going with that approach. I was worried they would go with a freaky western reboot of sorts featuring Ash and co. instead, and I believe that wouldn't be easy to get right. Detective Pikachu is a fresh IP they can begin utilizing across the series, and it provides a good structure for a crime-solving plot. It also deviates from the standard Action/Adventure genre the main series and the anime follow, and variety is good.

I think more casual fans are expecting something similar to the anime, but I'm happy to see TPC can think far ahead. This can turn out great much more easily.

Neiteio

From what I've seen of the game (Detective Pikachu), this sounds like a great idea — a talking Pikachu interacting with humans, solving cases in a Pokemon-filled world where we can see how Pokemon fit into everyday life.

Joey Ravn

Banned

I think it's perfect. It balances the "game" aspect with the "movie" aspect. Think about video game movies and tell me if any one live action movie has managed to capture the essence of the game successfully.

DOOM. Super Mario Bros. Tomb Raider. DOA. Street Fighter. Resident Evil (with Milla Jovovich). Max Payne. Hitman. Need for Speed. Double Dragon. Far Cry. Bloodrayne. Alone in the Dark.

OK. Now tell me: can you imagine a Pokémon movie based on the games? I'd rather not, honestly.

Vibranium

Banned
terrible idea. the first major live action pokemon movie is going to disappoint many

Huh? It's a great idea, Pikachu is a huge mascot, and I'm sure we'll see other Pokemon. It'll be an introduction to the world, and they won't get much flak for violence. I'm sure they can lead into a full-fledged movie if it's profitable.

Pizza

It's a fucking movie you guys, having and idiot ten year old kid and a PokeMAN detective as a buddy cop duo has some serious potential. Especially if they choose to set this movie in a world where Pokemon can be pets, cockfighters, detectives, librarians, chefs, or really anything else. Like what if your cat decided it loved books, taught itself to talk, and left to go get a job

Idk, I liked the Warcraft movie and having a manly animal detective seems like a solid movie

Also I love buddy cop movies

Reszo

My expectations are very low for this, not quite sure what detective pikachu is either lol.

Is Legendary even good with these type of movies?

oti

Banned
Gotta cash in fast before the Pokemon Go fad fades away

How long does it take to make a movie? Let's be super generous here and say a year. If the fad isn't over in a year when this movie comes out this means $$$$¥¥¥$$€$€€€¥€¥€¥$€¥€€ for everyone involved in Pokémon GO.

casiopao

How long does it take to make a movie? Let's be super generous here and say a year. If the fad isn't over in a year when this movie comes out this means $$$$¥¥¥$$€$€€€¥€¥€¥$€¥€€ for everyone involved in Pokémon GO.

Ummm. So even after staying for 20 years and being the most succesful gaming IP...... we are still calling it fad here.O_O

KevinCow

Banned
Why not? It's a fun concept that works with live action and as a family film.

It's like if Marvel had tried to launch the MCU with a She-Hulk movie that had no action, just lawyer stuff.

Maybe it could be a good movie, but that's not why people see superhero movies. They see superhero movies because they want to see superheroes punch things and blow things up.

What people want to see in a Pokemon movie is badass Pokemon battles, not a talking Pikachu solving crimes.

Live action Pokemon could've become a huge blockbuster film franchise like Transformers or the MCU (quality hopefully leaning more towards the latter). I can't see Detective Pikachu doing that.

Boss Doggie

But most of the good MCU movies aren't "just" about that. The bad ones like the Avenger films are bad because they are just about that.

terrible idea. the first major live action pokemon movie is going to disappoint many

I agree. All five of the people who actually care about cinema and Pokemon are going to be devastated.

But most of the good MCU movies aren't "just" about that. The bad ones like the Avenger films are bad because they are just about that.

Every time I see someone calling the Avengers films bad in comparison to the rest of the Marvel films, I cry a little for the demographic that filmmakers will be catering towards.

This could be another issue of the movie releasing when the Pokemon craze dies out. Might still be a hit but legendary needs to consider Pokemon go slowing down.

black070

I'm not against a live action Pokemon movie - but is Detective Pokemon really the best way to go ? Especially as a first outing ?

Ricitor

I am still taking credit for starting the Danny DeVito as Pikachu thing from the announcement thread. Have found no evidence that anybody suggested it before me.

Back to the topic at hand, it is a weird choice but could be some stupid fun.

KevinCow

Banned

Ignoring the fact that you called the first Avengers one of "the bad ones" when it's one of the highest rated MCU movies...

Yes, it helps to have more to it than action, but the action is the driving reason for people to go see it. An MCU movie without action in Phase 1 would've bombed, no matter how good the rest of it was. Maybe the MCU has enough clout that they could pull it off now, but this is three phases in, not when they're trying to get the whole thing off the ground.

Detective Pikachu is spinoff material, not something you launch a franchise with. It also feels more like a kids' movie than something that would appeal to Millennials who played the original games and are now in their 20s and 30s, which I feel is missing out on a potentially huge audience.

JoeM86

Ignoring the fact that you called the first Avengers one of "the bad ones" when it's one of the highest rated MCU movies...

Yes, it helps to have more to it than action, but the action is the driving reason for people to go see it. An MCU movie without action in Phase 1 would've bombed, no matter how good the rest of it was. Maybe the MCU has enough clout that they could pull it off now, but this is three phases in, not when they're trying to get the whole thing off the ground.

Detective Pikachu is spinoff material, not something you launch a franchise with. It also feels more like a kids' movie than something that would appeal to Millennials who played the original games and are now in their 20s and 30s, which I feel is missing out on a potentially huge audience.

The franchise already exists. Pokémon has 20 movies already

I'm one of the few who actually thought a live action Pokemon movie could be cool, and I find this news very disappointing. I was hoping for a big budget action adventure movie with awesome battles and a variety of different Pokemon.

Maybe it will actually be a good movie, but I'm doubtful. I get the feeling they're just trying to make a quick buck with a cheap kids movie. I know you could argue any Pokemon movie is going to be meant for kids, but there is a way to make it that appeals to older fans as well.

KevinCow

Banned
The franchise already exists. Pokémon has 20 movies already

Seriously?

Those are animated movies that have zero theatrical presence outside of Japan.

This is like saying that Iron Man wasn't the start of the MCU because they'd made some direct to DVD animated movies before it.

Top Bottom