• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Live-Action Movie a Go at Legendary (Detective Pikachu)

Listonosh

The first live action Pokemon movie is going to be fucking Detective Pikachu? Come on.

Yeah, pretty damn disappointed about this too. Not at all what I was hoping for, and not at all what I'm assuming all the casual Pokemon GO fans would be interested in.

Holy shit this has so much potential. A buddy cop movie with Channing Tatum and a great mystery. His partner should be very confused on what pikachu is and how it became a detective. Pikachu should make finger guns and shoot lightning. I will see this dumb movie no matter what. I'm sure my kids will love it.

Ultima_5

I hope this is good. It'll certainly be better than any adaption of the RPGs.

The appeal of Pokemon is seeing the world and how humans and Pokemon interact. The battles are secondary. Especially for kids. This movie has an opportunity to show that in spades

Neiteio

They should make it a racially charged buddy cop movie starring Chris Tucker.

Basically a Rush Hour 4, only Jackie Chan is replaced with Pikachu.

Justinh

I said this a long time ago, but looking at the way Detective Pikachu looks now I still think Steve Buscemi would be the perfect voice for him.
CGtvqKq.jpg

JoeM86

I am a bit sad that people are dismissing this based on it potentially going to be accessible to kids (like a normal Pokémon film wouldn't? Come the hell on) and that it's something different and unique rather than what you'd expect of a Pokémon movie.

There's no way in hell TPC would allow for Pokémon to get some sort of gritty PG13+ movie series. Come on.

Holy shit this has so much potential. A buddy cop movie with Channing Tatum and a great mystery. His partner should be very confused on what pikachu is and how it became a detective. Pikachu should make finger guns and shoot lightning. I will see this dumb movie no matter what. I'm sure my kids will love it.

wDG6ezO.png
R6s8v9G.png
ZlwWfqc.png
It is going to be a kids films.

It's a Detective Pikachu film.

It's going to be a film that adults take their kids to go and see like The Secret Life Of Pets or, as someone mentioned earlier, the recent Garfield films.

"Enough violence".

I think you need to go outside and spend some time away from the Internet.

You do know the Detective Pikachu game is marketed towards the higher end of the Pokémon fan age spectrum, right?

Nudull

Banned
I am a bit sad that people are dismissing this based on it potentially going to be accessible to kids (like a normal Pokémon film wouldn't? Come the hell on) and that it's something different and unique rather than what you'd expect of a Pokémon movie.

There's no way in hell TPC would allow for Pokémon to get some sort of gritty PG13+ movie series. Come on.

B-but the nostalgia! D:

Gartooth

Trying to make it gritty would've been a mistake. I don't want this IP to go Transformers on us. At the same time, I don't think you can get away with the level of violence from a Pokemon battle in live action without getting a PG 13, even if it was all ages in tone like the anime.

JoeM86

Trying to make it gritty would've been a mistake. I don't want this IP to go Transformers on us. At the same time, I don't think you can get away with the level of violence from a Pokemon battle in live action without getting a PG 13, even if it was all ages in tone like the anime.

Which could be why they've gone this route

Gartooth

Which could be why they've gone this route

I think that's a mistake if thats the decision they made then. They should have just gone full CGI if that was the case. Doing a movie from Hollywood is one of the biggest ways to get exposure for the franchise and reach new audiences, so to have the first go be for a detective story seems like a huge missed opportunity.

wmlk

Yeah, pretty damn disappointed about this too. Not at all what I was hoping for, and not at all what I'm assuming all the casual Pokemon GO fans would be interested in.

Oh, come on. I've been playing the games for over 15 years. Pikachu is a mascot that has mass appeal for every Pokémon fan.

Nudull

Banned

People always seem hellbent on wanting to see dark and gritty movie versions of children's franchises. Don't quite know if it's out of shame/embarrassment of being adults who still enjoy these franchises, or some twisted sense of nostalgia or something.

exfatal

As long as pikachu isn't like the only pokemon in the movie im sure it'll be fine. or even worse its just a kid and the pikachu is all in his imagination

PSqueak

Banned

151 jump street

Menitta

They need to get the gym leaders to be played by professional wrestlers if they're there.

Brock is The Rock.
Lt. Surge is John Cena
Blaine is Ric Flair
Giovanni is Vince McMahon

wmlk

wDG6ezO.png
R6s8v9G.png
ZlwWfqc.png

You do know the Detective Pikachu game is marketed towards the higher end of the Pokémon fan age spectrum, right?

I think the Detective Pikachu game was created because of the movie.

It's too out there for it not to be like that.

BTA

I guess I can never really understand the people who want a violent PG-13 movie out of this. I come to Pokemon because it's cute and endearing. I can get seeing battling as the focus, and I have a lot of friends who play more competitively. I just can't see some bloody "realistic" violence as the desirable result of all that, rather than flashy animation. In terms of appealing to nostalgia, did people who played the originals as kids really picture what they were playing as savage fights or closer to the anime?

But of course things like Transformers work because the darker "adult" version serves to justify still liking the lighthearted thing you enjoyed as a kid, so...

And I'm not saying I need things to be lighthearted all the time. But generally I'd rather watch Kamen Rider than a DC movie, you know? Marvel's good, often great, but the better moments and movies of what they've put out have always been the ones that know not to go too dark in my opinion. Which is to say that even a more serious take on Pokemon should keep that endearing nature at its core.

JoeM86

I think the Detective Pikachu game was created because of the movie.

It's too out there for it not to be like that.

The movie deal has only just happened.

The game began development in early 2013 and was released in Feb 2016

Mory Dunz

The movie deal has only just happened.

The game began development in early 2013 and was released in Feb 2016

So is the west getting that game?

And how well did it do in Japan. It was charting decently on the eshop charts at first, but faded. Especially when RBY came out.

JoeM86

So is the west getting that game?

And how well did it do in Japan. It was charting decently on the eshop charts at first, but faded. Especially when RBY came out.

I think for the west they're waiting for all the episodic parts to come out then release as a full package.

It did rather well on the eShop. Was in the top charts until April :)

Canon

Banned
This means they don't want to spend the money on a real Pokemon movie so they went the low budget comedy route.

TDLink

Just so there's nothing misleading here, Nicole Perlman only did the first draft of GotG. The final film's writing is essentially attributed to its director, James Gunn...who is also the director and sole writer on the sequel.

That is correct and Alex Hirsch was the creator and writer for Gravity Falls.

Pachimari

I'm still damn bitter we ain't getting a live action film with a Pokemon trainer on a journey catching Pokemon. Although I will settle with Detective Pikachu. I just still fail to see how they can make it into something great. I guess Pikachu will be CG and walk around a real world solving mysteries.

Top Bottom