• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Live-Action Series in Early Development at Netflix From ‘Lucifer’s’ Joe Henderson

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

A new Pokemon series is in early development at Netflix, Variety has learned exclusively from sources.

As the project is still in its early days, no details are available about the plot. However, sources say that Joe Henderson is attached to write and executive produce. Henderson currently serves as co-showrunner and executive producer on the popular Netflix series “Lucifer,” which is preparing to air its sixth and final season at the streamer.

Sources also say that the project would be a live-action series akin to the “Detective Pikachu” film starring Ryan Reynolds and Justice Smith that was released in 2019.

Reps for Netflix and Henderson did not immediately respond to Variety‘s request for comment.

MAtgS

Ash in his 50s tries to relive the glory days of his youth by opening a gym while renewing his rivalry with Gary, who is now a bicycle salesman.

Arbok Kai.

Last edited:

Ryu Kaiba

I feel like there's a way to get Pokemon in photorealism to "look right" but no ones really done it yet. Not even detective Pikachu.

Bullet Club

There's already been a live action Pokemon.

WyRKC9Q.png

zeorhymer

Netflix checklist:

Hire someone who doesn't know Pokemon.
Ash is gay for Brock. (Or go the other way around)
Pikachu runs away with Meoweth.
Misty is a bitch and yells at Ash cause he's a useless man.
Misty will be race swapped cause she's a ginger.
Team Rocket will be a bunch of bumbling white men.
Jessie and Misty will unite and fight against the "true villians."
Then they have a lesbo action.

Soodanim

I don’t often laugh out loud when I’m browsing the internet, but when I logged into Twitter and saw that trending I laughed out loud. This won’t be like Detective Pikachu, this will be like Dragonball Evolution.

I’m not a Netflix ‘hater’ (I’m just selective in what I watch), but haven’t they already fucked up a few live action adaptations, like Death Note? I’d love to meet the people behind these decisions, because if it’s not money laundering someone should be fired for these failures.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Pokemon is pushing forward with tons of new content these days, and we're not just talking about the games. The anime is as vibrant as ever with a new movie and dubbed episode bundle on the way. Not long ago, it was also made public that a live-action TV show is in the works, and a new report suggests a movie will follow.

The news comes from the team at The Illuminerdi. The site writes that "sources" have informed them about a live-action Pokemon movie. The project will be headed by Netflix, and it will "tie into Netflix's developing live-action Pokemon series." And no, it will not be tied to Detective Pikachu in any way.

At this point, no official word has been given about this Pokemon project. The TV show itself is still in limbo despite trade reports, and this movie is even further from confirmed. But if Netflix wants to clear the record, it does have a fan event coming up later this month...

According to current reports, this live-action film will be separate from Detective Pikachu. Rather than a continuation, The Illuminerdi is referring to the franchise as a reboot. This could mean a total overhaul of the series, or Netflix might go an entirely different direction with its Pokemon content. Years ago, a sequel to Pokemon: Detective Pikachu was in development at Warner Bros. Pictures, but there is no clear answer on whether that is still the case.

Top Bottom