• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Movie Franchise Reaches Cumulative 70 million+ Admissions in Japan

The anime just needs some god damn progression.

I think most folks, including kids, may indeed be getting tired of this formula where it's Ash, getting badges, cherry-picks Pokemon as opposed to catching them all (like he was supposed to be doing...), reaching the league, losing said league, restart with another group of folks, almost never carrying over from a previous region, etc.

It's so overdone.

Ash needs to age, he needs to get back that thirst for filling that thing called a Pokedex, he needs to WIN leagues. Finish his story and pass the torch to another, or at least bring back fan fav characters and don't toss them in the garbage every time the region finishes.

And STOP releasing Pokemon that actually have a personality and are good. :/

And remember you have a god damn Pidgeot, who I swear by now is just plain miserable and lost his mind after being abandoned for nearly two decades with a broken promise of being seen again.
Honestly the formula and Ash really aren't that bad, and they're pretty suitable for the franchise. The real problem is Team Rocket who are used way too much, are way too ineffectual, and generally try to hard to be both villains and comic relief leading them to fail at both

Honestly the formula and Ash really aren't that bad, and they're pretty suitable for the franchise. The real problem is Team Rocket who are used way too much, are way too ineffectual, and generally try to hard to be both villains and comic relief leading them to fail at both

They sucked as being hardcore villains in Unova, it felt way out of character and so cliched.

Their strength is being their goofball selves but actually have progression towards actually abandoning being part of Team Rocket and being honest trainers. It always felt that that was a potential roadmap for them but when they seem to step forward they step backward right away it feels.

Reset

Why doesn't Ash just use his strongest pokemon (Charizard) in every single fight.
Why doesn't Ash go back and get his Primeape which he ditched at the gym.
Why doesn't Ash just stop acting like a fool for once.

:(((

Sandfox

Why doesn't Ash just use his strongest pokemon (Charizard) in every single fight.
Why doesn't Ash just stop acting like a fool for once. :(

Marketing and the fact that kids don't have a connection to the stuff from the 90s outside of the general popularity of said Pokemon.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
I wouldn't be so sure. That's apparently exactly what Gamefreak wanted and with Nintendo now publishing on mobile they'll be pushing again and they might not face as strong an opponent as Iwata in the future. It didn't take long for Shuffle to be ported over and Creatures has already ported all the Pokemon character models.

Trust me Oregano, I'm sure lol

I'll refer you to this by yours truly :p

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1008721&highlight=

the anime/movies doing poorly is a reflection of the series continuing loss of the evergreen younger audience, who are moving on to other video game franchises like YW/Minecraft/mobile stuff and are thus not growing up with Pokemon at nearly the same degree as the younger audiences of the past. the older 24-30 Gen 1 audience continues to return, which alleviates much of the lost sales the games would otherwise sustain, but most of them won't watch the anime regardless of whether they're playing the games or buying the merchandise since it's in no way targeted towards them, which is why the drop in the anime ratings and film revenue aren't necessarily corresponding with an equally huge drop in game sales.

Yup.

TPC has been in this situation before, I'm just hoping they'll be able to deliver with Gen VII and gain their lost marketshare.

They sucked as being hardcore villains in Unova, it felt way out of character and so cliched.

Their strength is being their goofball selves but actually have progression towards actually abandoning being part of Team Rocket and being honest trainers. It always felt that that was a potential roadmap for them but when they seem to step forward they step backward right away it feels.

I agree. Team Rocket can be genuinely likeable and entertaining when they stop being villains and team up with the heroes for some reason or another. And half the time they don't even really act villainous anyways. With all the other characters that shift around in the cast, I don't get why keeping them as villains is really necessary. Especially since unless something was said in one of the seasons I've skipped, they never really had a real reason for this huge devotion to Giovanni they've been portrayed as having

The anime really does much better when it has a villain of the week. It's also way more refreshing since we get to see a greater variety of pokemon battle instead of the same two pokemon team rocket always uses (3 if you count wobuffet, though it's rarely used in fights. Also not counting Meowth since he never really fights). For that matter, I'd really appreciate more Pokemon battles against people who aren't gym leaders in general

I honestly feel like Charizard will come back again sometime this season, if only so Ash can get a Mega (and with the opening foreshadowing Ash vs the mega evo protagonist, I'm guessing he'll get Mega Charizard Y to fight Mega Charizard X)

Marketing and the fact that kids don't have a connection to the stuff from the 90s outside of the general popularity of said Pokemon.

Then why needlessly keep Ash? Why keep the same basic formula, only improving the quality of the small story arcs? Why not do something new every generation with new characters?

Madao

Doraemon Stand By Me (3D) gross was $79 million in Japan comparatively to its $33 million gross for the anime film - same market, broader reach.

Furthermore, North America is not the only important market for TPC. Doraemon Stand By Me grossed over $74.4 million in China.

Pokemon is a global brand - TPC need to act like it.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/intl/japan/yearly/
http://www.forbes.com/fdc/welcome_mjx.shtml

Pokemon was already multi-platform with various mobile apps already on the market prior to the newly announced launch of Pokemon Shuffle for IOS/Android.

What you won't see however is fully-fledged Pokemon game on other platforms. Nintendo hold the publishing & distribution rights to any game related software to the Pokemon license.

I'm just hoping that the above comes to reality in Gen VII.

wait, did Frozen really make 249 million in japan alone? wtf...

regarding Pokemon, they need to do something to inject new life into the marketing.
at this point the userbase only cares about the main games and little else since the anime's been the same shit for almost 20 years.
Ash/Satoshi always visits the gyms, gets all 8 badges and gets his ass handed to some OP trainer in the tournament. they never have the Elite 4/Champion of the respective region do anything. the evil Teams get very little involvement in the plot and the usual Team Rocket bullshit hasn't changed at all except for Gen 5 where they took a backseat. also, Ash never even tries to fill the dex and always discards all his pokes once he reaches the end of the region and tournaments. i guess people got tired of the same thing 5 times in a row (soon to be 6 since XY is gonna end the same way)

even the main games have a little more difference between each other. with the anime, you could pick any episode and have no idea what season it belongs to unless it was a gym or tournament episode and even that might not be enough since they have reused many types for gyms already.

they really need to reboot the anime for next gen and do it in Pokemon Origins' style. that one looked like ana ctual adaptation of the game and i wanted to see the story of each gen redone like that. it won't happen because they're not gonna redo 6 gens at this point but they could start next gen and finally do a more fauthful adaptation and use the game's trainers for a change (who else is still bummed that all the player characters since GS up to now never got to be the MC in the anime?)

this is one series that could REALLY benefit from the story being set up like Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. there's no problem to have a new character be the protagonist in each Jojo part and they can even have the MC from the previous region back as a friendcompanion/advisor/rival/etc.. Pokemon is already partly set up like Jojo since the regions are like Jojo Parts (Gen 1 -> Part 1, Gen 2 -> Part 2, etc) and they could give the previous protagonists some roles. imagine seeing Red and Gold reaming up to battle Lance or having Serena get help from May as fellow trainers who have conquered previous gyms and have met a legendary Pokemon that is too tough for one trainer (not the contest bullshit that they push onto the girls). they could make the Team bosses have epic fights against the Champions if they don't want the MC to fight the Champion right away (such as having Diantha face Lysandre in the story and then Serena fights if Diantha loses).
i just imagined Green becoming a vampire that steals Red's body and later awakens 100 years later to fight Brendan and May alongside an aged Gold and Silver and Green has obtained a Dialga to stop time.

vinnygambini

Means fuck all, IPs Nintendo own 100% are going to start showing up on mobile soon.

I'm having a hard time understanding your point lol

Every mainline Pokemon game are commissioned by Nintendo through TPC.

GameFreak have final say of the finished product (story, character developments, region, etc.) but in no way do GameFreak have any authority to release Pokemon games without Nintendo's involvement whatsoever.

TreIII

Disagree. Team Rocket are pretty much the most successful and endearing "bumbling villainous trio" this side of Doronjo and her crew from Yatterman. No surprise that them trying to be actual villains in B/W was easily their most odd and off-putting rendition, yet.

Frankly, I'm surprised they were never given their own spin-off when the series was at its peak, but that's another story altogether.

In any case, while the anime is as formulaic as the mainstream games themselves, I suppose that's where I would love to see the spin-offs get some more shine here and there. Why not allow series such as PMD or Pokkén to get their own motion pictures, for the same reason that the games themselves exist as a means to give us "something a bit different"?

rpmurphy

18 movies is crazy for any IP, congrats.

wikipedia said:
Doraemon 1979 anime (Original series)

Doraemon: Nobita's Dinosaur (のび太の恐竜) - Fujiko F. Fujio, 1980
Doraemon: The Records of Nobita, Spaceblazer (のび太の宇宙開拓史) - Fujiko F. Fujio, 1981
Doraemon: Nobita and the Haunts of Evil (のび太の大魔境) - Fujiko F. Fujio, 1982
Doraemon: Nobita and the Castle of the Undersea Devil (のび太の海底鬼岩城) - Fujiko F. Fujio, 1983
Doraemon: Nobita's Great Adventure into the Underworld (のび太の魔界大冒険) - Fujiko F. Fujio, 1984
Doraemon: Nobita's Little Star Wars (のび太の宇宙小戦争) - Fujiko F. Fujio, 1985
Doraemon: Nobita and the Steel Troops (のび太と鉄人兵団) - Fujiko F. Fujio, 1986
Doraemon: Nobita and the Knights on Dinosaurs (のび太と竜の騎士) - Fujiko F. Fujio, 1987
Doraemon: The Record of Nobita's Parallel Visit to the West (のび太のパラレル西遊記) - Fujiko Movie Studio, 1988
Doraemon: Nobita and the Birth of Japan (のび太の日本誕生) - Fujiko F. Fujio, 1989
Doraemon: Nobita and the Animal Planet (のび太とアニマル惑星) - Fujiko F. Fujio, 1990
Doraemon: Nobita's Dorabian Nights (のび太のドラビアンナイト) - Fujiko F. Fujio, 1991
Doraemon: Nobita and the Kingdom of Clouds (のび太と雲の王国) - Fujiko F. Fujio, 1992
Doraemon: Nobita and the Tin Labyrinth (のび太とブリキの迷宮) - Fujiko F. Fujio, 1993
Doraemon: Nobita's Three Visionary Swordsmen (のび太と夢幻三剣士) - Fujiko F. Fujio, 1994
Doraemon: Nobita's Diary of the Creation of the World (のび太の創世日記) - Fujiko F. Fujio, 1995
Doraemon: Nobita and the Galaxy Super-express (のび太と銀河超特急) - Fujiko F. Fujio, 1996
Doraemon: Nobita and the Spiral City (のび太のねじ巻き都市冒険記) - Fujiko F. Fujio and Fujiko Movie Studio, 1997
Doraemon: Nobita's Great Adventure in the South Seas (のび太の南海大冒険) - Fujiko Movie Studio, 1998
Doraemon: Nobita Drifts in the Universe (のび太の宇宙漂流記) - Fujiko Movie Studio, 1999
Doraemon: Nobita's the Legend of the Sun King (のび太の太陽王伝説) - Fujiko Movie Studio, 2000
Doraemon: Nobita and the Winged Braves (のび太と翼の勇者たち) - Fujiko Movie Studio, 2001
Doraemon: Nobita in the Robot Kingdom (のび太とロボット王国) - Fujiko Movie Studio, 2002
Doraemon: Nobita and the Windmasters* (のび太とふしぎ風使い) - Fujiko Movie Studio, 2003
Doraemon: Nobita in the Wan-Nyan Spacetime Odyssey* (のび太のワンニャン時空伝) - Fujiko Movie Studio, 2004

Doraemon 2005 anime (New generation)

Doraemon: Nobita's Dinosaur 2006* (Doraemon The Movie 2006) (のび太の恐竜2006) - Fujiko Movie Studio, 2006. (Remake of the 1980 movie.)
Doraemon: Nobita's New Great Adventure into the Underworld* (Doraemon The Underworld 2007) (のび太の新魔界大冒険~7人の魔法使い~) - Fujiko Movie Studio,2007[Remake of 1984]
Doraemon: Nobita and the Green Giant Legend (Doraemon The Future 2008)* (のび太と緑の巨人伝) - Fujiko Movie Studio, 2008.[1]
Doraemon: The Record of Nobita's Spaceblazer (Doraemon The Hero 2009)* (新・のび太の宇宙開拓史) - Fujiko Movie Studio, 2009. Remake of the 1981 movie.
Doraemon: Nobita's Great Battle of the Mermaid King (Doraemon The Legend 2010)* (のび太の人魚大海戦) - Fujiko Movie Studio, 2010
Doraemon: Nobita and the New Steel Troops—Winged Angels (Doraemon The Big Power 2011)* (新・のび太と鉄人兵団 〜はばたけ 天使たち〜) - Fujiko Movie Studio, 2011. Remake of the 1986 movie.
Doraemon: Nobita and the Island of Miracles—Animal Adventure (Doraemon The Dream 2012)* (のび太と奇跡の島 〜アニマル アドベンチャー〜) - Fujiko Movie Studio, 2012.
Doraemon: Nobita's Secret Gadget Museum (Doraemon The Investigator 2013)* (のび太のひみつ道具博物館) Fujiko Movie Studio, 2013.
Doraemon: New Nobita's Great Demon—Peko and the Exploration Party of Five (Doraemon The Wonderland 2014)* (新・のび太の大魔境 ~ペコと5人の探検隊~) Fujiko Movie Studio, 2014. Remake of the 1982 movie.
Stand by Me Doraemon (STAND BY ME ドラえもん) Fujiko Movie Studio, 2014. First CG animated Doraemon film.
Doraemon: Nobita's Space Heroes (Doraemon The Super Star 2015)* (ドラえもんのび太の スペースヒーローズ 宇宙英雄記) - Fujiko Movie Studio, 2015.[2]
Doraemon: Nobita and the Birth of Japan 2016 - Fujiko Movie Studio, 2016. Remake of the 1989 movie.

Doraemon: a movie every year since 1980.

Crayon Shin-chan's been doing yearly movies since '93.

I really wish they had a separate Pokemon anime/movie series for the older fans. After Pokemon Origins I've been craving for more.

Hoopa could had at least went a little more dark, why is it so hard to have just one pure evil Pokemon. Or to have a villain successfully win and was proven to be the good guy because they actually did the right thing and Ash was always helping the bad guy.

But the movies are for kids, but if I watch any of these stories as a kid I'd be solely entertained. Kids are much smarter then everyone gives them credit for.

Pokemon Origins really wasn't that great, though. You could say the animation was pretty damn good but there's no way they could keep up that quality unless they went for 26 episode seasons or something. The content itself was quite mediocre.

But yeah, pretty bad news for that movie's low opening. Although the new HERO movie and Inside Out's release probably didn't help matters.

Oregano

So wait, why do you think GameFreak even wants to turn Pokemon into a mobile franchise?

Orgen said a while ago that the same source who told him about Black and White 2 described Gamefreak as "greedy" and said they had been pushing to take the series multiplatform for a while. I'm going to assume they didn't mean Vita.

Nintendo will not be putting out that many mobile titles lol.

Nintendo only has five planned at the moment but it won't stop there unless they completely fail.

I'm having a hard time understanding your point lol

Every mainline Pokemon game are commissioned by Nintendo through TPC.

GameFreak have final say of the finished product (story, character developments, region, etc.) but in no way do GameFreak have any authority to release Pokemon games without Nintendo's involvement whatsoever.

Nintendo will be involved, that's my point.

Orgen said a while ago that the same source who told him about Black and White 2 described Gamefreak as "greedy" and said they had been pushing to take the series multiplatform for a while. I'm going to assume they didn't mean Vita.

Who is Orgen and why should I believe them? Because that sounds like a load.

Why would Nintendo take one of their biggest franchises and release a main series game on hardware that isn't theirs? The point of the mobile games is to advertise their hardware.

Sandfox

Then why needlessly keep Ash? Why keep the same basic formula, only improving the quality of the small story arcs? Why not do something new every generation with new characters?
I'm guessing its because they want to keep the same MC for people watching two different seasons and going back for older content. I'm sure there's also a merch reason as well, especially when you consider that Pikachu is tied to Ash/Satoshi.
wait, did Frozen really make 249 million in japan alone? wtf...

regarding Pokemon, they need to do something to inject new life into the marketing.
at this point the userbase only cares about the main games and little else since the anime's been the same shit for almost 20 years.
Ash/Satoshi always visits the gyms, gets all 8 badges and gets his ass handed to some OP trainer in the tournament. they never have the Elite 4/Champion of the respective region do anything. the evil Teams get very little involvement in the plot and the usual Team Rocket bullshit hasn't changed at all except for Gen 5 where they took a backseat. also, Ash never even tries to fill the dex and always discards all his pokes once he reaches the end of the region and tournaments. i guess people got tired of the same thing 5 times in a row (soon to be 6 since XY is gonna end the same way)

even the main games have a little more difference between each other. with the anime, you could pick any episode and have no idea what season it belongs to unless it was a gym or tournament episode and even that might not be enough since they have reused many types for gyms already.

they really need to reboot the anime for next gen and do it in Pokemon Origins' style. that one looked like ana ctual adaptation of the game and i wanted to see the story of each gen redone like that. it won't happen because they're not gonna redo 6 gens at this point but they could start next gen and finally do a more fauthful adaptation and use the game's trainers for a change (who else is still bummed that all the player characters since GS up to now never got to be the MC in the anime?)
Origins honestly looks like it wouldn't appeal to the target audience as much and it seems like something of that style would be harder to stretch out for four years or so.

Nintendo only has five planned at the moment but it won't stop there unless they completely fail.
Yeah, but after a point there's too many when it comes to mobile. These games need constant support and eventually you're just going to be taking money from your other games.

Oregano

Who is Orgen and why should I believe them? Because that sounds like a load.

Orgen is a regular poster who said he'd heard about BW getting direct sequels well before BW2 were announced. No one bought it, even Orgen was super skeptical of the idea.

EDIT: Despite having the stronger position the other parties in the Pokemon deal can assert pressure on Nintendo and make things difficult for them. Eg. No compatibility for Pokemon Amiibos.

Pokemaniac

I wouldn't be so sure. That's apparently exactly what Gamefreak wanted and with Nintendo now publishing on mobile they'll be pushing again and they might not face as strong an opponent as Iwata in the future. It didn't take long for Shuffle to be ported over and Creatures has already ported all the Pokemon character models.
Means fuck all, IPs Nintendo own 100% are going to start showing up on mobile soon.

Firstly, do you have a source for the bolded? Not that I necessarily don't believe you, but I don't recall ever seeing that in any interviews.

Second, you seem to be vastly overestimating Nintendo's mobile plans. They plan to publish 5 mobile games TOTAL, between now and the end of March 2017. They also were exceedingly clear that the mobile games would be separate from their normal games. I'm not sure what you're expecting, but I think you'll be disappointed.

vinnygambini

The DeNA deal did not involve the Pokemon license.

I asked during the analyst call and management casually evaded my question.

At this time, Pokemon mainline games will remain on Nintendo platforms until Nintendo revokes that right - spin-off titles however, such as Pokemon Shuffle, will actively appear on mobile as they have before through TPC.

Oregano

Firstly, do you have a source for the bolded? Not that I necessarily don't believe you, but I don't recall ever seeing that in any interviews.

Second, you seem to be vastly overestimating Nintendo's mobile plans. They plan to publish 5 mobile games TOTAL, between now and the end of March 2017. They also were exceedingly clear that the mobile games would be separate from their normal games. I'm not sure what you're expecting, but I think you'll be disappointed.

It wasn't publically stated. Also they are not going to stop after those five games are released because even with service games they will eventually wane in popularity and have to be retired, and with mobile it will be difficult to make all five a success.

They never ruled out any IP usage but Miyamoto did say they are not porting their existing games. However Nintendo neither publishes(TPC) or develops(Gamefreak) Pokemon so the same rules might not apply. Especially in light of The Last Story 2 in Terra Battle and Devil's Third Online.

EDIT: I never suggested it would be a DeNa game, those are EAD developed.

vinnygambini

Which of the 18 movies are the good ones?

Saves me making a thread in the future

Personally, Pokemon 2000 is my favorite. The first three films are a blast, as is Pokémon: Lucario and the Mystery of Mew.

Madao

i just looked at the box office numbers the movies did and...

Pokemon 17 (2014): $26,906,022
Pokemon 16 (2013): $30,906,537
Pokemon 15 (2012): $44,057,737
Pokemon 14 (2011): $53,387,786
Pokemon 13 (2010): $47,204,602
Pokemon 12 (2009): $48,687,041
Pokemon 11 (2008): $43,338,599
Pokemon 10 (2007): $42,238,454
Pokemon 9 (2006): $26,851,324
Pokemon 8 (2005): $36,459,760
Pokemon 7 (2004): $34,337,258
Pokemon 6 (2003): $33,393,751
Pokemon 5 (2002): $20,121,538

(Box Office Mojo doesn't have data from japan from previous years)

one thing i noticed is that the period where the movies went higher coincides with most of the DS generation. i think the DS' massive popularity helped Pokemon merch and now it's going back to pre-DS levels since the 3DS is more on GBA's level over there.

vinnygambini

i just looked at the box office numbers the movies did and...

Pokemon 17 (2014): $26,906,022
Pokemon 16 (2013): $30,906,537
Pokemon 15 (2012): $44,057,737
Pokemon 14 (2011): $53,387,786
Pokemon 13 (2010): $47,204,602
Pokemon 12 (2009): $48,687,041
Pokemon 11 (2008): $43,338,599
Pokemon 10 (2007): $42,238,454
Pokemon 9 (2006): $26,851,324
Pokemon 8 (2005): $36,459,760
Pokemon 7 (2004): $34,337,258
Pokemon 6 (2003): $33,393,751
Pokemon 5 (2002): $20,121,538

(Box Office Mojo doesn't have data from japan from previous years)

one thing i noticed is that the period where the movies went higher coincides with most of the DS generation. i think the DS' massive popularity helped Pokemon merch and now it's going back to pre-DS levels since the 3DS is more on GBA's level over there.

Totals:
¥7.54 billion ($77.8 million) / 6.54 million :: Pokemon: Mewtwo Strikes Back (Kunihiko Yuyama, July 1998)
¥6.36 billion ($64.8 million) / 5.60 million :: Pokemon: Revelation Lugia (Kunihiko Yuyama, July 1999)
¥5.02 billion ($47.2 million) / 4.78 million :: Pokemon Diamond & Pearl: The Rise of Darkrai (Kunihiko Yuyama, July 2007)
¥4.85 billion ($45.7 million) / 4.50 million :: Pokemon: Lord of the Unown Tower - Entei (Kunihiko Yuyama, July 2000)
¥4.80 billion ($53.3 million) / 4.66 million :: Pokemon Diamond & Pearl: Giratina and the Sky Warrior - Shaymin (Kunihiko Yuyama, July 2008)
¥4.67 billion ($51.6 million) / 4.40 million :: Pokemon Diamond & Pearl: Arceus - To a Conquering Spacetime (Kunihiko Yuyama, July 2009)
¥4.50 billion ($38.4 million) / 4.28 million :: Pokemon Advanced: Jirachi - Wishing Star of Seven Nights (Kunihiko Yuyama, July 2003)
¥4.38 billion ($39.1 million) / 4.16 million :: Pokemon Advanced: Deoxys - Sky-Splitting Visitor (Kunihiko Yuyama, July 2004)
¥4.33 billion ($56.1 million) / 4.13 million :: Pokemon Best Wishes: Victini and the Black Hero - Zekrom/Victini and the White Hero - Reshiram(Kunihiko Yuyama, July 2011)
¥4.30 billion ($38.9 million) / 4.10 million :: Pokemon Advanced: Mew and the Wave Hero - Lucario (Kunihiko Yuyama, July 2005)
¥4.16 billion ($50.3 million) / 3.97 million :: Pokemon Diamond & Pearl: Master of Illusions - Zoroark (Kunihiko Yuyama, July 2010)
¥3.90 billion ($32.5 million) / 3.63 million :: Pokemon: Celebi - A Timeless Encounter (Kunihiko Yuyama, July 2001)
¥3.61 billion ($46.0 million) / 3.44 million :: Pokemon Best Wishes: Kyurem Vs. The Sacred Swordsman - Keldeo (Kunihiko Yuyama, July 2012)
¥3.40 billion ($28.2 million) / 3.23 million :: Pokemon Advanced: Pokemon Ranger and the Prince of the Sea (Kunihiko Yuyamai, July 2006)
¥3.17 billion ($33.0 million) / 3.01 million :: Pokemon Best Wishes: ExtremeSpeed Genesect - Mewtwo Awakens (Kunihiko Yuyama, July 2013)
¥2.91 billion ($27.3 million) / 2.75 million :: Pokemon XY: The Cocoon of Destruction & Diancie (Toho)
¥2.67 billion ($21.8 million) / 2.55 million :: Pokemon: Guardians of Altomare - Latias and Latios (Kunihiko Yuyama, July 2002)

:)

Courtesy of Corpse

Pokemaniac

It wasn't publically stated. Also they are not going to stop after those five games are released because even with service games they will eventually wane in popularity and have to be retired, and with mobile it will be difficult to make all five a success.

They never ruled out any IP usage but Miyamoto did say they are not porting their existing games. However Nintendo neither publishes(TPC) or develops(Gamefreak) Pokemon so the same rules might not apply. Especially in light of The Last Story 2 in Terra Battle and Devil's Third Online.

EDIT: I never suggested it would be a DeNa game, those are EAD developed.

Without a further track record, I'm not sure I'd put too much stock in that source.

I also think you're expecting way too much if you think anything resembling a main entry in one of Nintendo's flagship franchises will release on mobile.

Pokemaniac

Which of the 18 movies are the good ones?

Saves me making a thread in the future

The 8th and 13th are probably the best, but I'd say most of them are good enough to watch. The only ones I remember being really bored of were the 14th and 16th (disclaimer: I haven't seen the 17th movie, and it's been a long time since I last saw some of them).

Also, if you can find it, they made an awesome sequel to the first movie called "Mewtwo Returns"

Mr-Joker

Banned
The anime just needs some god damn progression.

I think most folks, including kids, may indeed be getting tired of this formula where it's Ash, getting badges, cherry-picks Pokemon as opposed to catching them all (like he was supposed to be doing...), reaching the league, losing said league, restart with another group of folks, almost never carrying over from a previous region, etc.

It's so overdone.

Ash needs to age, he needs to get back that thirst for filling that thing called a Pokedex, he needs to WIN leagues. Finish his story and pass the torch to another, or at least bring back fan fav characters and don't toss them in the garbage every time the region finishes.

And STOP releasing Pokemon that actually have a personality and are good. :/

And remember you have a god damn Pidgeot, who I swear by now is just plain miserable and lost his mind after being abandoned for nearly two decades with a broken promise of being seen again.

You're assuming that kids watching the animé now grew up with the animé from the start or at least watched older episodes. I bet you that kids today don't really care about the formula and the only people that does are the people that watched the animé waaaay back in the 90s and don't even watch it anymore.

1. Because Ash would be too OP thus making the show boring, this happened during the earlier Jotho episodes.

2. Maybe he will one day, anything can happen.

3. Because he's only 10 years old, we were all fools when we were 10.

Busaiku

I thunk a lot of the decline is attributable to X/Y being lackluster.
Megas just don't cut it, I think completely new Pokemon are necessary.

Alpha Sapphire is about in-line with Fire Red, but X/Y is way behind everything else.
It's probably not getting back to DS days ever again, but GBA numbers should still be attainable if they don't bank on nostalgia again.

I'm talking about the games, but this is also attributable to the franchise at large.

As someone who doesn't watch the show, what made Unova Ash worse than the others?

Okay, let me explain. :)

We have Ash who is 10 (said so in the first episode of the Indigo league in Season 1), has the typical rookie mistakes, he learns from them, has many adventures, good and bad experiences, etc.

By Sinnoh (gen 4) he's become quite the badass trainer. Yeah as you likely know by now he's lost every main league (one exception was the Orange Island League and the Battle Frontier), but for Sinnoh, he only lost due to a random guy never brought up anywhere else using legendaries, Ash however was the ONLY one to KO two of them (Darkrai and Latios), losing the semi-final, and actually the person who lost to that guy in the final didn't even KO one, think about that.

Kick ass league all-around.

So anyway, then comes Unova (gen 5)...

WELP, Ash is confirmed to still be 10 because logic doesn't exist, and worse, basically most of his experience and knowledge was tossed out the same window as said logic, and he all of the sudden acts like he just started his journey all over again, even forgetting you have to weaken a Pokemon before catching it.

It gets even better, in the league, he lost to someone who only brought 5 Pokemon in a 6-on-6 fight. YEAH...

Sandfox

As someone who doesn't watch the show, what made Unova Ash worse than the others?
Unova was just plain bad. They changed a lot of stuff with 6th gen though.

Alpha Sapphire is about in-line with Fire Red, but X/Y is way behind everything else.
It's probably not getting back to DS days ever again, but GBA numbers should still be attainable if they don't bank on nostalgia again.

I'm talking about the games, but this is also attributable to the franchise at large.

If anything the decline happened during BW.

Hey man, you can't forget the fact that he brought one Pokemon (Palpitoad) to the battle with Elesa. Then he decided to use Snivy right after Elesa mentioned that Emolga was an Electric/Flying type.

Unova Ash was pure character assassination. He was fucking terrible.

Hey man, you can't forget the fact that he brought one Pokemon (Palpitoad) to the battle with Elesa. Then he decided to use Snivy right after Elesa mentioned that Emolga was an Electric/Flying type.

Oh god how could I forget? o_O

Pokemaniac

Okay, let me explain. :)

We have Ash who is 10 (said so in the first episode of the Indigo league in Season 1), has the typical rookie mistakes, he learns from them, has many adventures, good and bad experiences, etc.

By Sinnoh (gen 4) he's become quite the badass trainer. Yeah as you likely know by now he's lost every main league (one exception was the Orange Island League and the Battle Frontier), but for Sinnoh, he only lost due to a random guy never brought up anywhere else using legendaries, Ash however was the ONLY one to KO two of them (Darkrai and Latios), losing the semi-final, and actually the person who lost to that guy in the final didn't even KO one, think about that.

Kick ass league all-around.

So anyway, then comes Unova (gen 5)...

WELP, Ash is confirmed to still be 10 because logic doesn't exist, and worse, basically most of his experience and knowledge was tossed out the same window as said logic, and he all of the sudden acts like he just started his journey all over again, even forgetting you have to weaken a Pokemon before catching it.

It gets even better, in the league, he lost to someone who only brought 5 Pokemon in a 6-on-6 fight. YEAH...

You forgot to mention the best part of that battle. Ash only lost because his opponent's Riolu evolved mid-battle. That's the kind of BS that only Ash is allowed to pull normally

Is it a bad thing that I consider that one of the funniest Unova episodes?

Not the funniest episode, though, that honor goes to the one with the fake Kamen Rider guy.

Ōkami

Worst part about Unova though?

Lack of Brock.

Brock is the heart and soul of Pokemon.

I did like what they did with Team Rocket though.

Pokemaniac

Ōkami;172622288 said:
Worst part about Unova though?

Lack of Brock.

Brock is the heart and soul of Pokemon.

I did like what they did with Team Rocket though.

While Team Rocket was definitely too much of a joke in Sinnoh, Unova took them a bit too far in the other direction. From the few Kalos episodes I've seen, they seem to have basically reset Team Rocket to what they originally were, and I think that works a bit better than their overly serious Unova selves.

udivision

Interesting... but I guess that's inevitable that he gets "reset", even if they seemingly went too far with Unova.

Its too late now, but I wonder if they should've taken the Yu-Gi-Oh route and just changed the protagonist to the one from the new game every other season. That way the "reset" would make more sense, and you could have a protagonist with a unique character without having to ruin an established one...

vinnygambini

Agreed.

The hype for XY was palpable, but the end result was a lackluster entry. Gen VI is a disappointment but honestly, The Pokemon Company had become complacent and conservative and XY is the end result.

I'm glad Yokai Watch is eating its lunch as they need to go back to the drawing board and not rely solely on nostalgia for a great comeback story.

GBA numbers are attainable surely, but the formula needs to be changed - the anime & games are developed closely to one another - and not having any postgame content a la Gold & Silver is just plain ridiculous for this day and age.

Sandfox

Agreed.

The hype for XY was palpable, but the end result was a lackluster entry. Gen VI is a disappointment but honestly, The Pokemon Company had become complacent and conservative and XY is the end result.

I'm glad Yokai Watch is eating its lunch as they need to go back to the drawing board and not rely solely on nostalgia for a great comeback story.

GBA numbers are attainable surely, but the formula needs to be changed - the anime & games are developed closely to one another - and not having any postgame content a la Gold & Silver is just plain ridiculous for this day and age.

The decline being talked about in this thread happened way before YW and Gen 6. Based on what I've seen things just went crazy during 4th gen due to the DS and after that generation there has been decline.

Top Bottom