• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Scarlet and Violet sold 10 million copies in 3 days

To surprise of no one.

See you in the next 2 years, when they outsold themselves by doing nothing again.

So creating a completely open world where you could feasibly do the content in any order you like, having everything be completely 3D, nearly 100+ new pokemon with new animations for returning mon, new features such as picnics and titan battles, having *any* pokemon in the game follow you whenever you want and can freely battle instantly outside of traditional battles, numerous QoL features such as the ability to access the box from anywhere, remembering moves anywhere, and changing nicknames whenever you like (all things requested for years by the fanbase), this is all doing nothing?

GameFreak deserves a lot of criticism for the continuous poor technical quality of their games and the complete lack of QA they have clearly shown, especially here. The poor framerate, low texture quality - all things that desperately and definitely need to be fixed.

But trying to suggest that they are doing *nothing* is a bit silly and just pure hyperbole.

Monokrom

millitar-poop.gif

AetherZX

So creating a completely open world where you could feasibly do the content in any order you like, having everything be completely 3D, nearly 100+ new pokemon with new animations for returning mon, new features such as picnics and titan battles, having *any* pokemon in the game follow you whenever you want and can freely battle instantly outside of traditional battles, numerous QoL features such as the ability to access the box from anywhere, remembering moves anywhere, and changing nicknames whenever you like (all things requested for years by the fanbase), this is all doing nothing?

GameFreak deserves a lot of criticism for the continuous poor technical quality of their games and the complete lack of QA they have clearly shown, especially here. The poor framerate, low texture quality - all things that desperately and definitely need to be fixed.

But trying to suggest that they are doing *nothing* is a bit silly and just pure hyperbole.

He's been known for being absolutely insufferable in Pokemon/Nintendo threads for a good decade or more now, as far back as SEGA Forums even existed. You can tell who actually plays these games and who looks from the outside and comes up with whatever bullshit can come to their mind at a glance.

Anyway, it speaks volumes if GF is at the point the worst that can be said about this game is the tech involved. I think they've otherwise finally nailed what a Pokemon RPG should be on a home console, but they could definitely use a more proficient support studio to overhaul their turd of an engine.

Last edited:

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
People love their pokemans.

He's been known for being absolutely insufferable in Pokemon/Nintendo threads for a good decade or more now, as far back as SEGA Forums even existed. You can tell who actually plays these games and who looks from the outside and comes up with whatever bullshit can come to their mind at a glance.

Anyway, it speaks volumes if GF is at the point the worst that can be said about this game is the tech involved. I think they've otherwise finally nailed what a Pokemon RPG should be on a home console, but they could definitely use a more proficient support studio to overhaul their turd of an engine.

Seeing his post history, I am none too surprised. There comes a point of being a fan annoyed/rightfully frustrated at poor decisions and then someone who systematically complains about anything and everything a company does for years.

Also agreed. This could have been the single greatest pokemon game of all time if it wasn’t for those performance and texture issues. Pretty much has what fans have been asking for for years.

Robb

Gold Member
Looks the same as Arceus, and I thought people loved that one? An exciting new direction for the franchise, they said.
Visuals are the least of the games problem. The direction they’ve taken of evolving Arceus is great.

It’s performance that’s the problem. Characters/Pokemon/objects moving at 2fps, shadows/characters popping in and out from a distance of 1 meter, the game doesn’t even remember what Pokemon pops in and out so you can walk until they pop out and walk back and they won’t pop back in.. Not to mention all the bugs (which are pretty funny):

7dc.gif

Edit: just noticed you can even see the 2fps windmill in action in the background of the .gif

Last edited:

FUBARx89

Wonder what the sales would be if they didn't split it into 2 seperate purchases to get it all.

I don't get why people don't complain about them doing it, cause it seems proper scummy to me.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
At this point is the audience of FIFA, CoD and Pokémon really different? People buy that one game a year no matter what and continue to play for the whole year till new iteration comes out.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
Seeing his post history, I am none too surprised. There comes a point of being a fan annoyed/rightfully frustrated at poor decisions and then someone who systematically complains about anything and everything a company does for years.

Also agreed. This could have been the single greatest pokemon game of all time if it wasn’t for those performance and texture issues. Pretty much has what fans have been asking for for years.

The positive note is that we’re likely to see the next game on the next gen switch. At some point, there’ll be enough power to at least brute force competent technical performance.

At this point is the audience of FIFA, CoD and Pokémon really different? People buy that one game a year no matter what and continue to play for the whole year till new iteration comes out.

can’t exactly lump Pokemon with the likes of FIfA that barely shake up the formula in their annual entries.
Even COD changes things up. There’s a reason MW2 is succeeding where Vanguard flopped

Tams

Gold Member
Pokémon are the epitome of cute (and cool - at least to many children). No one has come even close to matching that. Yokai Watch, perhaps.

While the performace (and therefore the quality of the graphics - not the style) in Scarlet and Violet are pretty bad and the bugs bad, it's still 95% playable and the best Pokémon game to date in terms of making you feel like you're there.

Last edited:

ThisIsMyDog

Imagine you are the developer of the new zelda, you do everything to make the game look as good as possible, work well on the switch. You get up in the morning and read that the new Pokémon looking like a PS2 game and running worse than Cyberpunk on the original Xbox One sells 10 million copies in 3 days.

And already you are sick of it, fed up with the world and commit seppuku. The cruel world has taken away hope for a better tomorrow.

Chastten

Banned
I went in without any expectations given how trash Sword and Shining Pearl were, but honestly, I've finished it last night and it's been a blast.

Yes, the performance is trash and deserves all the hate it gets, this game shouldn't have been released in this state.

BUT... the gameplay loop is incredibly fun. I'm having a lot of fun just traveling the world, catching the little guys, collecting all the stuff, doing the little crystal pokemon group thingies... I'm in my late 30s and at times this game made me feel like when I was 13 playing Pokémon Red for the first time and honestly, few games make me feel like that.

Yes, the game would have been tons better if it looked and played as smooth as something like Genshin Impact, but at least it's a huge step in the right direction for the series. If they improve on this concept next time, with better performance and more varied landscapes (give me dense forests dangit) it would be a huge winner in my book.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Pretty fuckin nuts to think that GoW @ 5.1m in a week is Sony’s best ever selling game and Game Freak can just shit out a poo and it sells 10m in 3 days. Never before has it been laid out so plainly that Nintendo are on their own planet.

I think that's why Sony and Microsoft always say nintendo isn't competition....its simply that they can't compete.

I mean. Imagine the profits that nintendo makes. Their assets and everything are much less of a demand on teams. So less dev time, less less costs...quadruple the sales of the biggest games on ither platforms and they never drop in price.

Nintendo are something else completely.

Doczu

I like Pokemon. I really do. But since the 3DS and transition to 3D the games are progressively getting shittier on the tech side of things.
It just shows that GF devs really don't know how to make anything else than a sprite and tile set game.
I don't say the games have to be lookers and top notch in the graphics department. Just make sure they run at (near) constant 30fps.

Dafegamer

Visuals are the least of the games problem. The direction they’ve taken of evolving Arceus is great.

It’s performance that’s the problem. Characters/Pokemon/objects moving at 2fps, shadows/characters popping in and out from a distance of 1 meter, the game doesn’t even remember what Pokemon pops in and out so you can walk until they pop out and walk back and they won’t pop back in.. Not to mention all the bugs (which are pretty funny):

7dc.gif

Edit: just noticed you can even see the 2fps windmill in action in the background of the .gif
PNltV42.gif

SCB3

7dc.gif

This

The game is not bad at all, its actually a lot of fun and many steps in the right direction, but the performance really, really lets it down

Spaceman292

Banned

It's just idiots who haven't played it parroting a narrative from their favourite influencers. No thought's gone into it.

TLZ

Banned
Imagine you are the developer of the new zelda, you do everything to make the game look as good as possible, work well on the switch. You get up in the morning and read that the new Pokémon looking like a PS2 game and running worse than Cyberpunk on the original Xbox One sells 10 million copies in 3 days.

And already you are sick of it, fed up with the world and commit seppuku. The cruel world has taken away hope for a better tomorrow.
Fuck my life basically.

In all seriousness though it just means there are many many more Pokemon fans and it's a much bigger brand. It shouldn't affect how Devs of other games think. Otherwise everyone would just stop everything and only develop Pokemon games.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח

I can tell you %99 of developer including the ones in Game Freak would love to have the perfect tech for their game, all the time in the world to develop, etc.

this is clearly an issue of time, and prob some need for better tech knowledge.

Pokémon are the epitome of cute (and cool - at least to many children). No one has come even close to matching that. Yokai Watch, perhaps.

While the performace (and therefore the quality of the graphics - not the style) in Scarlet and Violet are pretty bad and the bugs bad, it's still 95% playable and the best Pokémon game to date in terms of making you feel like you're there.

What do you mean like making us feel like we're there? Is this a statement on open world games vs linear?

Tams

Gold Member
What do you mean like making us feel like we're there? Is this a statement on open world games vs linear?

Yes, especially with Pokémon.

Surely you can't deny that many people's dreams are to be able to walk around a world with Pokémon just there? I think that desire is so strong, that people are willing to put up with an awful lot of shit to experience it.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member

Dude, open world is nothing new. I ain't gonna praise or tell this is something when theres not only miles better open worlds out there and neither what they did are a feat. Its just like praising gamefreak for finally creating a round tire in 2022. Go play Dragon Quest XI and spare me the talk about models.

Its not hyperbole. If you think just making a barebone openworld and tackle pokemon on it its something, thats on you.

Tams

Gold Member
Dude, open world is nothing new. I ain't gonna praise or tell this is something when theres not only miles better open worlds out there and neither what they did are a feat. Its just like praising gamefreak for finally creating a round tire in 2022. Go play Dragon Quest XI and spare me the talk about models.

Its not hyperbole. If you think just making a barebone openworld and tackle pokemon on it its something, thats on you.

'Not new' does not in this context mean that a lot of work doesn't have to be put into it. Surely you can understand that.

And for Pokémon it is new, and something many fans have been pining for for over two decades.

Anyway, none of this Nobel Prize winning stuff. It's entertainment, so give it a break.

Spaceman292

Banned

It's new for pokemon. Saying that they did no work would imply that they just copied and pasted Sword and Shield and slapped a new name on it, like a new Fifa game. Creating an open world from scratch is difficult, doesn't matter how many other games have done it.

And the open world isn't barebones. I've been playing for hours and there's still stuff I haven't found.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
'Not new' does not in this context mean that a lot of work doesn't have to be put into it. Surely you can understand that.

And for Pokémon it is new, and something many fans have been pining for for over two decades.

Anyway, none of this Nobel Prize winning stuff. It's entertainment, so give it a break.

Nope.
I can understand a small indie team presents a game of that scale. Tbh theres a lot of talented indie teams that despite the budget and small size can still pull out something impressive. It's hard to be a small dev with short resources and still show how much of care they put.

But theres no way you can make believe vomit looking mountains and ground is something a dev would put their heart into, even more one of most well know and profitable franchices in the world. And nothing against it if you guys find fun though, I can understand that to a certain point.

Last edited:

SCB3

Yes, especially with Pokémon.

Sure you can't deny that many people's dreams are to be able to walk around a world with Pokémon just there? I think that desire is so strong, that people are willing to put up with an awful lot of shit to experience it.
Most fans want a proper Pokemon MMO game with all the regions and Pokemon separated by region, a Mega game if you will

Top Bottom