• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon sequel is under development for DS

So the 5th gen will be DS-bound, first time we had two gens on one handheld since 1st and 2nd gen.

So only the GBA missed out putting it another way. :p

AniHawk

Hero of Legend said:
So the 5th gen will be DS-bound, first time we had two gens on one handheld since 1st and 2nd gen.

Pokemon D/P probably would've happened on the GBA if it wasn't for the PSP.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
If that means what I think it means (that the 5th generation is coming to the DS), that's fuckin' sad, and a clear sign that the DS2 probably won't be shown soon.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
IAMBEEFLESS said:
Are you sure that this isn't the newly announced Pokemon Ranger game? Or is this the arrival of gen 5?
It's neo2046. He has his tag for a reason!

neo2046

IAMBEEFLESS said:
Are you sure that this isn't the newly announced Pokemon Ranger game? Or is this the arrival of gen 5?
the announcement is just posted at news media in Japan today

Teknoman

OMG then what if the models for Lugia and 3d model positions...

:D :D :D

Snakeyes said:
That almost certainly confirms that no major improvements will be made to the genral formula. Not buying.

How is that?

I don't think it's gen 5 at the moment. I have a feeling its the new pokemon ranger game...i really wish it would be gen 5 though. But i told myself that i won't be buying any gen 5 game unless some of the mechanics are giving a refresh of sorts

Big One

Banned
IAMBEEFLESS said:
Gamefreak does not develop the Pokemon Ranger games, they only make the main Pokemon games.

AniHawk

Unless this is some sort of spinoff, I wonder what this means for a future system. This would have to be out sometime this year if a new system was 2011.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Brazil said:
If that means what I think it means (that the 5th generation is coming to the DS), that's fuckin' sad, and a clear sign that the DS2 probably won't be shown soon.
I dunno. It's probably a good thing that they're not phasing out the DSi already. :p

Though I do question the wisdom of announcing another sequel before the current game has even been released in most of the world. Oh well.

Snakeyes said:
That almost certainly confirms that no major improvements will be made to the genral formula. Not buying.

This is what i'm afraid of. The series doesn't need to be completely rehauled but i would like a change in the story progression (options maybe) and faster, more dynamic battles but i realize that this isn't the thread for gen 5 hopes and dreams.

Zilch

Banned
A bit disappointed that it isn't for the next handheld platform.

Hopefully it won't be too close to D/P/Pt/HG/SS in design...

To be honest, I don't know how I feel about this...

Well, I hope that they upgrade the engine, or upgrade something about the game. It would also be nice if it were DSi enhanced/only and took advantage of the horsepower... because G/S/C were Game Boy Color enhanced/only.

I was personally hoping Game Freak was making a non-Pokemon game, actually... I would love another Drill Dozer or Pulseman or something original.

eggandI

Banned
Holy lol didn't these dudes JUST release 3 new games? Milking the fuck out of that franchise and the fans huh.

I really doubt this will be anything substantially different than the current line of games given in how little time this one is coming out after Soul Silver/Heart Gold.

Galang

Banned
Excited to see what's in store for the next main game (if it really is). Knew it was coming, but really didn't expect it in Japan this year at all. Pleasantly surprised and I'm really hoping there's going to be some interesting changes and improvements.:D

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Eteric Rice said:
You guys sure it's not something like Pokemon Crystal (to be the third besides HGold and SSilver.)?

Considering it's scheduled for this year, I think that's a safe bet.

I wish this entry could be more focused on competitive matters (like create-a-gym, easier pokemon specific EV grinding, etc) rather than the typical "become da best pokamastah!"

Loam

It better be something other than 'Crusty Crystal' version. Heart/Soul aren't even out anywhere besides Japan yet as far as I'm aware.

I know there's been quite some talk over this but please if this is a completely new game do not add more of the damn critters! Its just getting ridiculous at this point.

Teknoman

This really doesnt mean that there might not be able true changes. Remember, they were just looking for someone with 3d modeling experience.

AniHawk

Unless neo is lying to us or mistranslated, it's a new, original game. So that means it won't be a remake of Crystal.

Slavik81

Hero of Legend said:

1st Gen was on the Gameboy.
2nd Gen was Gameboy Color.
3rd Gen was GBA.
4th Gen was DS.
5th Gen: DSi?

Zilch

Banned
You guys are making way too big a deal out of GameFreaks hiring ONE 3d modeler. That means NOTHING.

I'd love to be wrong, though.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Unless it's an MMORPG, no sale. HG/SS does what I want from a Pokemon game this generatoin.

Damn, I was hoping they'd save this for the next Nintendo handheld, at least.

I really, really don't want any more monsters either. There are almost 500 right now.

WAIT!

Before I get happy . . . I NEED A GOOD TRANSLATOR'S FULL TRANSLATION!

This could be something not much more then PMD . . . >_>

(Sorry Neo, don't trust basic sums from TCs)

Boney

Banned
Yep, calling it a DSi exclusive as well. Make all the little children buy themselves a DSi as well!

Luckily I already have that covered.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Slavik81 said:
1st Gen was on the Gameboy.
2nd Gen was Gameboy Color.
3rd Gen was GBA.
4th Gen was DS.
5th Gen: DSi?

2nd gen besides crystal were bog standard GB games. Crystal was color only. Gen 2 is really GB.

OMG Aero

Zilch said:
You guys are making way too big a deal out of GameFreaks hiring ONE 3d modeler. That means NOTHING.

Seriously, I don't think people realise that the title screens for HG and SS used 3D models of Lugia and Ho-Oh.
Because they are hiring a 3D guy doesn't mean the whole game is suddenly 3D.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
The press releases say an entire new adventure that will be 'reborn and innovative'. It's an entirely new game.

Not that I doubted Sir Neo :)

GaussTek

Zilch said:

What? Where did you get that info?

I know the google translation is very vague but talks about "completely new series in development for release later this year 2010!", nothing to do with hiring.

Teknoman

Either way the game probably wont release till at least a year or so from now right? D/P released in 2007, and SS/HG is releasing here in 2010, 3 year gap is just fine.

What they need to do is make sure that more pokemon are competively viable. Why make a useless pokemon in the first place? I'm tired of the metagame being so polarized...

Teknoman said:
Either way the game probably wont release till at least a year or so from now right? D/P released in 2007, and SS/HG is releasing here in 2010, 3 year gap is just fine.

D/P was released Sept. 2006 in Japan

Top Bottom