• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Sun/Moon Leak Discussion Thread

CassSept

I'm guessing Marshadow will have an 'evolved' form (like Solgaleo and Lunalaa), question is if they won't screw him over like they did with Zygarde.

JoeM86

Where are all the Mythical Pokemon? Magearna is one and I think Marshadow may be the 2nd because it strikes me as the Mew/Celebi/Jiraxhi,etc of this generation. Will this gen be shorter than XY?

I feel like we might get a new gen in 2 years if that NX rumor is true....

Or they learned and will actually do them via patches

I hated the fact that Kalos has so few new Pokemon at first but in reflection I don't really think it's that bad a thing. I got to use the majority of the Dex before the generation was over, something I've never done before, and honestly that was pretty fun.

I like a lot of the new Pokemon revealed here, but the Alolan forms are pretty bad, especially Persian and Dugtrio. Do we know what type Dugtrio is yet?

Also, these are the best starters since Gen IV and the third best overall. Oh, and Wimpod's evolution is one of the best Pokemon ever made.

kirby_fox

Banned
My conclusion is that these are the Pokémon in the Alola Region Pokédex and the game, at this time, doesn't have a National Pokédex option.

Are there any from previous gens included that don't have Alola forms? This would seem to be a small number of Pokemon total if this is an Alola Region Dex without previous gens.

Not sure where people are getting info, so sorry for asking something that may seem like a straightforward answer.

It's going to be nice to finally be able to pick a fire type starter since Gen 3. Was getting tired of water.

No disrespect to your favorites, but I haven't liked a fire starter since Torchic. But please don't be Fire/Fighting. First time was awesome, second was "well alright". Third time...

People are right about the amount of Pokemon not really being a problem.

The real problem is the fact that they revealed almost everything one month before launch

(and no new mega is disappointing hope the old ones get some changes like kangaskhan)

Kinsei

Banned
The more I think about the yeti crab the more I love it. Assuming it's an evo for Crabrawler then it's basically a retired championship boxer going on to coach the next generation of fighters. It's basically the Doc Louis Pokemon.

lol, 96 new mons is literally single digits off of gen 2 numbers and people are still having meltdowns.

Think about how massively bloated the dex is already and how daunting it is for newcomers. Think about how this franchise needs to last another 10 years at the very least. Put a fucking rational thought in your brain before demanding 150 new Pokemon every few years pls.

Gleethor

The more I think about the yeti crab the more I love it. Assuming it's an evo for Crabrawler then it's basically a retired championship boxer going on to coach the next generation of fighters. It's basically the Doc Louis Pokemon.

if it's fighting/ice, it's going on my team.

Kinsei

Banned
lol, 96 new mons is literally single digits off of gen 2 numbers and people are still having meltdowns.

Think about how massively bloated the dex is already and how daunting it is for newcomers. Think about how this franchise needs to last another 10 years at the very least. Put a fucking rational thought in your brain before demanding 150 new Pokemon every few years pls.

Yeah, 96 new mons if you include Diglett with a strand of hair an Dugtrio with a wig. Those are definitely new Pokemon.

if it's fighting/ice, it's going on my team.

I really hope it is. I;ve used an ice type in every gen so it would really suck if I had to break that trend.

Yeah, 96 new mons if you include Diglett with a strand of hair an Dugtrio with a wig. Those are definitely new Pokemon.

If they have new stats, types and move pools, and also stay like that permenantly and are not catchable like that in game then they are new Pokemon. What is a Pokemon except an avatar for stats and moves?

I really hope it is. I;ve used an ice type in every gen so it would really suck if I had to break that trend.

It's no less worthless than baby Pokemon. Gamefreak has being doing filler since the beginning.

I'm curious about those diving bell spiders. They're very likely another Bug/Water (I can't see them doing Bug/Electric or Water/Electric, just because they have yellow on them doesn't make them Electric-type) so I wonder if Wimpod-2 becomes something else?

VegiHam

If they have new stats, types and move pools, and also stay like that permenantly and are not catchable like that in game then they are new Pokemon. What is a Pokemon except an avatar for stats and moves?

Pokedex entry. If the game's not gunna count me catching it as one more caught why should I?

18-Volt

There should be two updates left. On October 27th, they could reveal Pikipek line, Electric ants, sea urchins and some ultra beasts and for the last update before game releases final evos of starters, evos of Crabrawler, Morelull, Wimpod and Salandit and ghost anchor. That way every single new pokémon is revealed before games comes out and GF would be the one who actually spoils everything.

Pokedex entry. If the game's not gunna count me catching it as one more caught why should I?

Because there is more to the game than filling up the Pokedex? And I say this as someone who loves completing the Pokedex. If I play through the game and use both normal and Alolan Ninetales on the same team with them playing completely differently then they're as good as new Pokemon for me.

Right. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this is where we stand:

#722: Rowlet
#723: Dartrix
#724: Rowlet Evo 2
#725: Litten
#726: Torracat
#727: Litten Evo 2
#728: Popplio
#729: Brionne
#730: Popplio Evo 2
#731: Pikipek
#732: Pikipek Evo 1
#733: Pikipek Evo 2
#734: Yungoos
#735: Gumshoos
#736: Grubbin
#737: Charjabug
#738: Vikavolt
#739: Crabrawler
#740: Crabrawler Evo
#741: Oricorio
#742: Cutiefly
#743: Ribombee
#744: Rockruff
#745: Lycanroc
#746: Wishiwashi
#747: TCG Urchin
#748: TCG Urchin Evo
#749: Mudbray
#750: Mudsdale
#751: Bubble Crab
#752: Bubble Crab Evo
#753: Fomantis
#754: Lurantis
#755: Morelull
#756: Morelull Evo
#757: Salandit
#758: Salandit Evo
#759: Stufful
#760: Bewear
#761: Bounsweet
#762: Steenee
#763: Tsareena
#764: Comfey
#765: Oranguru
#766: Passimian
#767: Wimpod
#768: Wimpod Evo
#769: Sandygast
#770: Palossand
#771: Pyukumuku
#772: Type: Null
#773: Silvally
#774: Minior
#775: Komala
#776: Turtonator
#777: Togedemaru
#778: Mimikyu
#779: Bruxish
#780: Drampa
#781: Anchor
#782: Jangmo-o
#783: Hakamo-o
#784: Kommo-o
#785: Tapu Koko
#786: Psychic Tapu
#787: Fire Tapu
#788: Ghost Tapu
#789: Lunala Pre-Evo
#790: Solgaleo Pre-Evo
#791: Solgaleo
#792: Lunala
#793: UB-01
#794: UB-02 Absorption
#795: UB-02 Beauty
#796: Electric Cable Ultra Beast
#797: Green Pillars Ultra Beast
#798: Spiky Star Ultra Beast
#799: Giant Crab Ultra Beast
#800: Sharp Black Ultra Beast
#801: Magearna
#802: Marshadow

I have a few thoughts on the legendaries; what we thought were Lunala and Solgaleo pre-evos probably aren't because they don't precede the legendaries in the Pokédex, and they're the wrong way round. Also, judging by this numbering, Marshadow appears to be a Mythical Pokémon, rather than just a legendary. It would be very unusual for the third member of a trio to be uncatchable in the first game of the generation, and for any hypothetical third version to have a Mythical on the cover. I wonder how they're going to play that one out.

You talk about being rational, but a newcomer isn't going to find 96 any less ludicrous than 150

How about accepting that there are parts of the fanbase who find a lot of appeal in catching new monsters and filling out the Pokedex

Kinsei

Banned

You do realize that 99% of the people that play Pokemon couldn;t care less about stats and movepools, right?

It's no less worthless than baby Pokemon. Gamefreak has being doing filler since the beginning.

Babies were a great way to flesh out some Pokemon families to make them feel more complete. Some fo them weren't very good, but others like Mantyke or Budew felt like they should have been there from the point when that Pokemon family was introduced.

Forkball

Here's a compilation of images courtesy of reddit:

V2IS3oh.png

DGflGM0.png

I1gMHpF.png

j0Waukr.png

XBU1ZPR.png

dPYdDq4.png

a9ldFHP.png

6frsudk.png

R9LMrH4.png

CvCA2m1VMAADPfG.jpg

dwdJkFI.png

VegiHam

Because there is more to the game than filling up the Pokedex? And I say this as someone who loves completing the Pokedex. If I play through the game and use both normal and Alolan Ninetales on the same team with them playing completely differently then they're as good as new Pokemon for me.

That's totally valid. My personal priority is catching all the pokemon, so I'm going to judge the game based on that factor but I understand if you care about battling at all new pokemon are new pokemon. I just hope the Pokedex includes an additional 'caught all formes' state or something, so it's easier to track. That would've incentivised me to hunt down mega stones last gen

Kinsei

Banned
So 99% of people who play Pokemon don't do any battles or actually use any Pokemon? All they care about is Pokedex entries?

No, they care about what designs they like and that's it. If someone thinks Minior is cuter than Rockruff they're most likely going to use it even if it's worse in every single way.

Why do people keep saying 96 Pokemon with Alola forms? Shouldn't it be 99? There's 81 New Pokemon (Including Ultra Beasts) and 18 Alola Forms. If you don't count Ultra Beasts we're at 73, saving this from being the smallest generation by 1 Pokemon.

Ravidrath

Definitely curious if we'll see more, because right now Magearna and Marshadow seem like a miniscule number of Event Pokemon, and UBs seem too story-critical to become Event Pokemon.

And has there been any mention of sprites for previous gens in there? Because if they are in there, this would seem to confirm no new Megas. But the possibility still remains if those were scrubbed.

Right. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this is where we stand:

#789: Lunala Pre-Evo
#790: Solgaleo Pre-Evo

We'll see what happens, but I sort of expect that these are story event things, rather than actual Pokemon.

If I were to guess, they'd be sort of the combination of the ghost from Gen 1 and the orbs from Gen 5 - like you follow them around the final dungeon and can show up in battle, but can't be damaged or caught.

And then they "evolve" to their legendary form when they reach the pillar of sun/moonlight at the end of the dungeon or whatever.

Why do people keep saying 96 Pokemon with Alola forms? Shouldn't be 99? There's 81 New Pokemon (Including Ultra Beasts) and 18 Alola Forms.

You're absolutely right. There must have been a miscount somewhere along the line.

We'll see what happens, but I sort of expect that these are story event things, rather than actual Pokemon.

If I were to guess, they'd be sort of the combination of the ghost from Gen 1 and the orbs from Gen 5 - like you follow them around the final dungeon and can show up in battle, but can't be damaged or caught.

And then they "evolve" to their legendary form when they reach the pillar of sun/moonlight at the end of the dungeon or whatever.

Ah, but bear in mind that these images we're seeing are from the Battle Preview. If you can't fight with them, then you wouldn't be seeing these images.

Crocodile

You do realize that 99% of the people that play Pokemon couldn;t care less about stats and movepools, right?

You don't have to care about competitive Pokemon to care about stats or movepools. Regardless of how much you want to personally weight each aspect of a Pokemon, there is still way more to any individual than just what it looks like or its Dex number.

Babies were a great way to flesh out some Pokemon families to make them feel more complete. Some fo them weren't very good, but others like Mantyke or Budew felt like they should have been there from the point when that Pokemon family was introduced.

This is completely arbitrary and subjective though. I don't think Budew or Mantyke really added much of value to the overall Pokedex. Personally, I'm having a hard time thinking of a baby that did aside from Tyrouge.

No, they care about what designs they like and that's it. If someone thinks Minior is cuter than Rockruff they're most likely going to use it even if it's worse in every single way.

So how does that factor into Alolan formes in anyway? How many people are going to go "Oh, well I like that Alolan Ninetales but seeing as it's just a form I'm not going to use it"? I'm sorry but I don't really understand your point.

I completely get that people like the collection aspect, and as I've said before, that's one of my favourite parts of the game, I've got a full Living Dex! And yes, I understand that the game does a very poor job of incentivising you to catch forms in terms of Dex completion, but from a standpoint of being actual Pokemon and what a Pokemon is defined as Alolan forms are basically new Pokemon. Personally I prefer this to a bunch of filler Pokemon that I'm literally never going use such as Finneon, Carnivine, Alomomola etc being in the Dex.

clemenx

Banned
Those little things don't strike me as Pokémon, they look to me more like Zygarde cell type. I don't think they're legendaries pre evos. Do they have sprite previews?

Forkball

Those little things don't strike me as Pokémon, they look to me more like Zygarde cell type. I don't think they're legendaries pre evos. Do they have sprite previews?

There was a leak a while back that called the Ultra Beasts before they were announced and it said that Solgaleo and Lunala share a pre-evolution. So it may actually just be one Pokemon with different forms/appearances.

Top Bottom