• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Sun/Moon new info - Starter evolutions, Demo, Ash-Greninja

V-Faction

I've never found grass useful, especially not in the beginning. Way worse than water. The flying type helps against early bugs but water is still the more well-rounded type. I also find water to be the most solid (haha) foundation for a team.

Maybe I just feel Rowlet is a bad choice because I love Oricorio and already decided I just neeeed a Sensu Style one on my team.

Lovelovelove the way Popplio is going. Not a fan of the first one but the evo is adorable and if the leak is correct the final stage will probably be a new fav starter.

I agree Water is better than Grass, but does that mean Popplio is the automatic choice? There are some nifty Water Pokemon to catch, so you might be better served catching one of those depending on how early you can get them.

ffdgh

If you ask me, Rowlet -> Litten -> Popplio is the current standing for creating a Team and centering around the starter as your primary choice. Having Grass AND Flying STAB moves upfront will be very powerful. Plus, a natural-born Fly-user (if HMs still exist).

Cliche but a double ice weakness(not the pokemon) will alway suck. Type wise water/fairy is easily the best out of the 3

Joqu

Because the leaf stone was introduced in Gen 1. It wouldn't make sense if Leafeon evolved from it since it wasn't created until Gen 4.

lickitung's been mentioned

it didn't make sense how the gen 2 evos didn't work until FR/LG post-game either

I dunno, that kind of stuff really doesn't bother me

Kinsei

Banned

it didn't make sense how the gen 2 evos didn't work until FR/LG post-game either

I was just giving Game Freaks reasoning. I do agree that it's dumb.

Brionne is dead ugly and I guess the leaks are official now. Aside from Rowlet's the other two definitely look like they're going to become those final forms.

Dartrix for me.

Cliche but a double ice weakness(not the pokemon) will alway suck.

no offence but some of the best pokemon have a 4x ice weakness also ice is kinda a bad type anyway

Plus Togepi was the first gen 2 Pokemon shown during gen 1 series.

Ho-Oh_Debut.png

V-Faction

To be more genwunner, not exclusively. It's like people on GAF only reply to part of a post to make their point!
I'm teasing

Plus Togepi was the first gen 2 Pokemon shown during gen 1 series. And Espeon is an evo of a gen 1 Poke.

Yes, yes...! Let the justification flow through you! Mwuahahaha!

k91191

They could just write some new lore

Leaf stone radiation has changed and now eevee's genetic code has mutated enough for it to evolve

It's not like anyone is going to really give a shit

Or make it so only an Alolan Eevee can evolve with Leaf Stones and Ice Stones.

I can sort of understand why they did it that way for Fr/lg. They wanted to maintain the illusion of there being only 150 pokemon for that game and make no changes to the pokedex

Course what they really should have done was allow the evolutions but just put a question mark on their dex numbers

Kind of like what they with later games when you didn't have the national dex

Joqu

I was just giving Game Freaks reasoning. I do agree that it's dumb.

yeah, that's fair enough. but it's dumb indeed. their reasoning doesn't hold up considering they've already contradicted themselves in the past

and yeah, the incense babies are annoying as hell. no player is figuring that bull out without looking it up first

Spyware

I agree Water is better than Grass, but does that mean Popplio is the automatic choice? There are some nifty Water Pokemon to catch, so you might be better served catching one of those depending on how early you can get them.
Weeell, so far for new Water types we have only Wimpod (Water/Bug), Bruxish (Water/Psychic), Wishiwashi and Pyukumuku (both pure Water) beside the starter. Are those really "nifty"?

So if ash greninja has his anime moves will cut aerial ace double team and water shuruken get buffs?

Wondered the same thing. I'm amazed that it's an ability that allows it to transform and not activated with a Z stone after using a Z move.
Does his ability change once he turns into Ash Greninja? Can he hold a item to make him more deadly as Ash Greninja? What about stats changes? Can I breed my own Ash Grenina?

I'm curious about this stuff. I like Greninja but don't use him much. I would definitly main him as a starter if he's more unique then a form change.

Joqu

I can sort of understand why they did it that way for Fr/lg. They wanted to maintain the illusion of there being only 150 pokemon for that game and make no changes to the pokedex

Course what they really should have done was allow the evolutions but just put a question mark on their dex numbers

yeah, I know some people really hated that shit but like I said, it doesn't really bother me that much because I get what they were going for. but it's also a major inconsistency. if we're talking lore it makes zero sense

Later remakes embraced the new evolutions. Both Togekiss and Mamoswine were core members of my SS team, and Gallade is a featured Pokemon in ORAS.

I was both confused and pretty annoyed when my Golbat tried to evolve in FR and I couldn't use Crobat. I didn't think "oh cool, they're trying to be authentic," I thought "wow, this is lame, let me use Crobat"

ffdgh

no offence but some of the best pokemon have a 4x ice weakness also ice is kinda a bad type anyway

Ho-Oh_Debut.png

Nobody told Garchomp or Salamence they's supposed to suck with a 4x Ice weakness.

Or Dragonite

Or Rayqauza

People please I said having a 4x ice weakness sucks not the pokemon. Already know plenty of them get by fine despite the weakness.

Besides water types are the main ice beam users lol.

UberLevi

Litten stays winning. Torracat looks really cool. I relate to Dartrix and Rowlet is my favorite of the three starter evos, but that final evo just looks so bad to me, and Litten's final evo is cool as hell.

Wondered the same thing. I'm amazed that it's an ability that allows it to transform and not activated with a Z stone after using a Z move.
Does his ability change once he turns into Ash Greninja? Can he hold a item to make him more deadly as Ash Greninja? What about stats changes? Can I breed my own Ash Grenina?

I'm curious about this stuff. I like Greninja but don't use him much. I would definitly main him as a starter if he's more unique then a form change.
Maybe when the demo is datamined someone can tell us. These are all the same questions I have.

Sandfox

Going by the website, I would assume that his ability stays as Battle Bond and should be able to hold items. I'm expecting the stat increase for sure.

Spyware

i don't know..apart from the water pkmn being female,it's not like those final evo look a lot like the middle forms
Rowlet's evo is a "pretty rich boy" type. Look closer at the final evo and you will see that it looks like a rich man who hides the fact in a cape. Also Robin Hood connections (he's sometimes a noble before becoming the protector of the poor) and being "accurate with it's feathers" and all that.

Litten becomes a beefed up little cat with it's arms being quite big already. The brows and the tail also seem to "evolve" into that last form, for example. The back pattern too. The bell around it's neck could easily become the belt buckle thing and the info says something about throwing punches.

Popplio's evo becomes feminine, gets bubbles in the "hair" (I see "pigtails", others seem to see ears) and the three frills around it's body seem to move to the neck, waist and tail on the last evo.

Later remakes embraced the new evolutions. Both Togekiss and Mamoswine were core members of my SS team, and Gallade is a featured Pokemon in ORAS.

I was both confused and pretty annoyed when my Golbat tried to evolve in FR and I couldn't use Crobat. I didn't think "oh cool, they're trying to be authentic," I thought "wow, this is lame, let me use Crobat"
Yeah I liked hgss and oras modified the pokedex to include the evolutions

Course the numbering is a little odd like 256 or 211 or whatever but eh, whatcha gonna do

V-Faction

Wow, Dartix is totally Edgeworth.

Other musings:

- I like how Popplio's collar ended up becoming a Tutu for Brionne, instead of just a bigger clown collar like in EVERY PIECE OF FAN ART.

- I like how Torracat looks like a bobcat.

- Snooty owl is cool.

Weeell, so far for new Water types we have only Wimpod (Water/Bug), Bruxish (Water/Psychic), Wishiwashi and Pyukumuku (both pure Water) beside the starter. Are those really "nifty"?

Of course they are. I for one am planning to use Wimpod. Water/Bug has never been given the limelight it deserves. Wishiwashi is my choice #2 because of its cool ability and look.

Majukun

Torracat is very obviously turning into the final litten evo. Look at it closer. I'll give you Dartrix though.

can't say i see the obviousness

i mean it wouldn't be the first time that the final evo is radically different from the middle and initial forms, but there's nothing in the middle form that tells me "this cat is gonna become a wrestler werecat"

other than maybe the fixation of the pkmn developers for fighting/fire starters

ffdgh

Going by the website, I would assume that his ability stays as Battle Bond and should be able to hold items. I'm expecting the stat increase for sure.

Mega stats plus access to items/ life orb shenanigans? Seems like it'll be a fair tradeoff for the lack of protean maybe.

i mean it wouldn't be the first time that the final evo is radically different from the middle and initial forms, but there's nothing in the middle form that tells me "this cat is gonna become a wrestler werecat"

Its growing arms and ability to punch hard, along with it gaining an angry look to its eyes. Its whiskers are also starting to grow much larger, like the final form. The bell has similar coloring to the belt.

Puruzi

Banned

Look at its front legs. it's getting the facial features. the bell can become the belt. back pattern.

I hope Festival Plaza will be more useful and more fun than Join Avenue.

Poke-Pelago is a wonderful idea for all the Pokemon that just sit around in the boxes. Now they can be useful outside of battle.

And these starter evolutions are great. I like their personalities/attitude.

1 more month. 1 more...

Top Bottom