• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Sun & Moon sold 1.9 million in first 3 days in Japan (Famitsu), down from X&Y

DKHF

Pokemon Sun and Moon sold 1,905,107 units in its first 3 days in Japan according to Famitsu's report http://www.famitsu.com/news/201611/22121241.html

This is slightly down from X and Y which sold 2,096,050 in its first 2 days (so 1 day less of tracking than SM got here). This doesn't include digital/eShop sales but includes double packs and DL cards. Total 3DS family hardware sales in the Sun & Moon launch week were 113,987.

This is the second highest first week sales for a 3DS game in Japan after X & Y. And the ninth highest first week sales of all time in Japan.

Ranking of Pokemon debut sales in Japan thanks to https://sites.google.com/site/gamedatalibrary/game-search:

Awv8mql.png

Aters

As expected I guess. Not exceptional, solid nonetheless.

The game won't have very good leg due to being so late in the console cycle, but Pokemon Star on Switch will more than make up for that.

ZAMtendo

Obliterating everything that's not your friend
I'd assume the digital sales are higher than usual though...

I almost bought it digital but the £10 extra didn't justify it for me.

crinale

A bit smaller than X & Y. However given that 3DS is getting a little old, I guess it is quite solid performance.

Arex

Dang, almost 2mil..pretty good sales I'd think!

Will probably be the first pokemon since ... sapphire? that I'm thinking of getting, as I haven't been into portable since the gba.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
That's honestly shocking that it did less than XY.

Is it ? X/Y was the first new main game on 3DS and the first full 3D Pokemon, so the initial hype was quite large. The legs will be more important - but with Stars upcoming we will have to see how what kind of impact it will have on Sun/Moon.

Including digital it probably sold around 2m as well - so the difference isnt that high.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
great, as expected!
let's wait for ww numbers too and for Nintendo numbers including digital sales!

Rowlet

Banned
Pretty good considering US overtook japan as a Pokemon stronghold. US figures should be much better than this. Imo

Neonep

Pretty good considering US overtook japan as a Pokemon stronghold. US figures should be much better than this. Imo
US sales are going to be nuts. I have a small circle of friends and 2 already bought copies & another 4 or 5 are considering getting it.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
All joking aside, isn't this kind of a bomba since Dragonquest VIII sold 2.4 million in only 24 hours?

lupinko

I know, I contributed three copies to that:

1 cart Sun
1 cart Moon
1 eshop Moon

I bought my carts at the local Pokémon Center so I got the bonus artbook and Solgaleo and Lunala figures.

Aleh

Worldwide sales are gonna be higher than XY anyways, Pokémon got more popular in the rest of the world compared to Japan in recent times

cvxfreak

I find these numbers somewhat disappointing. There were so many indicators that Pokemon was primed for some growth, and that may still happen over the long term, but these launch sales are lower than I expected.

November is supposed to be a bigger period for sales than October (when XY launched) and September (when BW launched). This is probably why ORAS enjoyed a bigger launch than HGSS.

At the same time, virtually nothing else in the Japanese market is meeting its historical highs these days, and this could be a reflection of that continuing trend.

random25

All joking aside, isn't this kind of a bomba since Dragonquest VIII sold 2.4 million in only 24 hours?

I thought you said all joking aside? lol

How can this be bomba when the OP said:

This is the second highest first week sales for a 3DS game in Japan after X & Y. And the ninth highest first week sales of all time in Japan.

And this is without full digital yet, so it might move up a bit.

Does any one have the Media Create result or do we have to wait for the whole chart, considering there's always that weird difference in units between these two?

Mario007

They're not as good numbers as expected since this number includes the double pack and counts it as two copies.

The age of the 3DS can be the reason why, but then again Black and White did manage 2.6 million at late stage of DS's lifecycle

Some Nobody

Asking is this a bomb or not when its outsold everything aside from X/Y and Black/White is insane. 1.9m is excellent for any game in Japan that's not fully mobile.

Aleh

They're not as good numbers as expected since this number includes the double pack and counts it as two copies.

The age of the 3DS can be the reason why, but then again Black and White did manage 2.6 million at late stage of DS's lifecycle
BW had no digital purchase option, and I'm pretty sure digital sales have grown since XY days

KHlover

Banned
Suprising reactions in here. Are people really disappointed a game released at the end of the system's lifetime didn't instantly outsell the most hyped Pokemon game of this generation? X/Y pre-release hype was off the charts, just matching that is an excellent result. Sure, userbase is larger now, but as CoD and TF2 and WD2 have recently shown again game sales don't increase with the userbase in a linear way.

Btw anyone know how first week sales of BW2 compared to DP?

Top Bottom