• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Sun & Moon sold 1.9 million in first 3 days in Japan (Famitsu), down from X&Y

Good. While these are still good numbers, I feel like X&Y deserves the crown. The transition to 3d was a huge undertaking, and the most important element of it (pokemon models and animations) they absolutely nailed. The game seemed fresh as hell as a result.

Sun and Moon seems so very low-effort by comparison. There's no feature anywhere near as big as seeing all the pokemon animated in 3d for the first time in a mainline game. It feels like gen 6.5 at best. The engine is worse than X&Y (if you're on o3ds) and 3d is disabled despite all the time they had to fix it.

X&Y set a foundation for the future of the franchise and was rewarded accordingly with massive sales. I'll never understand why people are so down on them.

I'm gonna be very interested to see how they make 'Stars' operate for the Switch, because I don't feel like it's really good enough to be a home console RPG (comparisons to other RPGs in the home console sphere that probably cost the same amount like FFXV, Witcher 3 etc will not be flattering), and I'm wondering what kind of sales it will be as a port people will already have put 100+ hours into.

I dislike XY because the actual structure of the game was bad. Main campaign wasn't fun, almost no likable characters, story has multiple loose ends that were never resolved, low amount of new Pokemon, lackluster OST, lacking postgame content that was never even fixed with an updated version, etc. The best part of it was how seamless it made online interactivity, imo. The "excitement" of going full 3D was dragged down by the fact that its engine ran pretty bad. Despite it supporting 3D, I almost never turned it on because all it did was make battles look really clippy.

I understand why other people would like the "leap", but I don't see why I should give XY the benefit of the doubt for being a bad mainline game because it was simply the first to be in 3D.

Garuroh

SM seems like the worst game to play if someone regained interest in Pokemon after Go. Pokemon Go is a very simple game with a very "free" feeling while SM is loaded cutscenes,dialogue,railroading and story. I know someone who bought Sun because of Go and got bored fast.

GameFreak should pay attention to games like Minecraft which have tons of freedom and are extremely popular with kids.

Wilsongt

Well deserved. The game is fun and a nice shake-up to the badge formula. If they fix the Pokemon distribution problem and trainers only having 1 Pokemon, the 3rd version will be even better.

Malakai

What do you mean read more about the game? I've beaten Sun (including all postgame) and am halfway through Moon. I know precisely what I'm talking about.

As for QoL, that's one area that Sun and Moon has gone massively backwards. The Festival Plaza is a huge pain in the ass, and nowhere near as good as the awesome PSS was. Not only that, the Plaza confused the shit out of me. Poke Pelago is also of limited use, and introduces shitty mobile-style 'wait timers' into the game. This contrasts with X&Y, who had similar features like egg-hatching help handled by the awesome O-Powers system.

The game is more challenging. No doubt. That's its ace card.

But as for interacting with pokemon? X&Y was the game to deliver pokemon amie. That was awesome then, but they haven't progressed it at all. That's a major point for X&Y, not Sun / Moon.

And as for bland side characters, there is no more bland characters in the series than Lillie and Hau, both of whom I despised. In X&Y your crappy friends get out of the way 95% of the time. I barely remembered who they were until I booted the games up again, and sure enough within moments they were gone.

If you want to sell more copies of a sequel than the original, it should be nothing but big leaps forward for a game. For some reason Game Freak is incapable of doing that without taking major steps backwards. I can't understand, in particular, how they can be so technically incompetent. The frame rate and lack of 3d really put me in a bad mood from the start with Sun / Moon.

My bad for jumping the gun on that assumption. I could of recall reading that I have had read that Poke-Ride Tauros helps tremendously when I came to hatching eggs. I never used PPS in XY when I played; however, I did use Amie and enjoyed quite a bit for it perks. Anime's replacement only lets u heal/recover from status changes after battle? Perhaps, I jumped the gun w/ QOL knowing that HM's are dead. Just glancing causally at Sun and Moon, it is nice seeing that Pokemon are finally interacting with the environment a lot more than in previous games.

Crazyorloco

Is it ? X/Y was the first new main game on 3DS and the first full 3D Pokemon, so the initial hype was quite large. The legs will be more important - but with Stars upcoming we will have to see how what kind of impact it will have on Sun/Moon.

Including digital it probably sold around 2m as well - so the difference isnt that high.

Yeah Sun and Moon did great actually if you really think about the times.

I think that the sales are higher if we factor in digital sales. Most people I know have downloaded the game. It's a game you'll always come back to which makes it a worthy download.

SM seems like the worst game to play if someone regained interest in Pokemon after Go. Pokemon Go is a very simple game with a very "free" feeling while SM is loaded cutscenes,dialogue,railroading and story. I know someone who bought Sun because of Go and got bored fast.

GameFreak should pay attention to games like Minecraft which have tons of freedom and are extremely popular with kids.

Pokemon is pretty popular with kids too... moreso than minecraft. Check the sales of the main pokemon games versus minecraft.

I think If people want something simple I think people should keep playing pokemon go - they'll update it soon with more pokemon. If they want more depth then 3DS pokemon games will fit the bill.

faint.

Can someone confirm if we are comparing 3 days to 3 days or 3 days to a whole week? I find the wording in the OP slightly confusing. I would imagine we're comparing 3 days to 3 days, but I can't tell.

Litri

The number are slightly disappointing but considering the current status of Japanese console market, not surprising. Let's see about the legs.

People are going to be suprised when FFXV is closer to Persona than Pokemon

I agree with this. I think that any figure above half a million in JP for FFXV will be a surprise.

DKHF

Can someone confirm if we are comparing 3 days to 3 days or 3 days to a whole week? I find the wording in the OP slightly confusing. I would imagine we're comparing 3 days to 3 days, but I can't tell.
X/Y's numbers are only for 2 days, Sun and Moon's are for 3. So we're comparing 2 days (XY) to 3 days (SM). This is because X/Y came out on a Saturday and SM on a Friday.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
From all the gloom and doom talk you would think Sun and Moon are selling massively less than X and Y.

I mean there is merit to talk about the downturn in the dedicated video game market in Japan, but the disparity in here compared to the previous generation is not that big. Especially when you consider digital sales are not included.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
The dedicated market in Japan is on its last legs in some ways.

Almost every game this year has been down from its predecessor and it's like the eighth year of notable overall market decline in a row (we're now back in early 1990s or perhaps even 1980s grade sales for dedicated hardware/software).

Just wait until you see how much FFXV is down from FFXIII.

There's a chance of some recovery with the Switch, but it will look baaaaaad if the thing doesn't take off.

Here's an outdated chart:

famitsu-market-20141osea.png
That DS Lite+ Wii combo. Wowzers.

gosox333

Gotta factor preloading in as well. That wasn't an option for X/Y, the digital sales are almost guaranteed to be better this gen because of it.

Hell it got me to go digital, and never in a million years would I have done that regularly.

faint.

X/Y's numbers are only for 2 days, Sun and Moon's are for 3. So we're comparing 2 days (XY) to 3 days (SM). This is because X/Y came out on a Saturday and SM on a Friday.

Gotcha, thanks! I was wondering where the 2 day talk was coming from.

MuchoMalo

Banned
I think that it's safe to say that a lot more digital copies were sold now than for XY in 2013, so the numbers are likely a lot closer than a lot of you think.

That said, I'd still say that GO had an effect; XY probably killed the series for a lot of people with how easy it was and the terrible characters.

noshten

Like I said in another thread about Sun and Moon in Japan/World. Legs are probably going to be affected long term by the Switch verision but shouldn't be much of an issue for these Holidays specifically.

I fully expect this to be the biggest Pokemon launch on the 3DS ecosystem

Neoxon

Like I said in another thread about Sun and Moon in Japan/World. Legs are probably going to be affected long term by the Switch verision but shouldn't be much of an issue for these Holidays specifically.

I fully expect this to be the biggest Pokemon launch on the 3DS ecosystem
That would depend on if Stars is revealed at the Switch event. Either way, the Switch's launch will probably have a negative impact on 3DS sales, which would be felt by Sun/Moon. So if anything, the Switch itself may hurt Sun/Moon's legs.

That being said, how did Gen 5 as a whole do worldwide? It may give us a better idea of what to expect sales-wise for Sun/Moon.

JoeM86

They shouldn't capitulate and change the entirety of the main games due to GO. Come on.

Pokémon is still extremely popular. Stop talking like it's doing badly.

Maxinas

Then pokemon is clearly not for that person. Pokemon Go is shallow and mainline pokemon games should never incorporate anything from it. Minecraft is a sandbox game, pokemon is a jrpg.

btw media create numbers are out. sun moon > xy from that tracker
Gamer.ne was just 14 min late.

Media Create Sales: Week 46, 2016 (Nov 15 - Nov 20)

01./00. [3DS] Pokemon Sun / Moon <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2016.11.18} (¥4.980) - 1.590.629 / NEW
02./00. [3DS] Pokemon Sun / Moon (Pokemon Sun / Moon Dual Pack) <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2016.11.18} (¥9.960) - 151.379 / NEW

Total Sales:

[3DS] Pokemon Sun / Moon # <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2016.11.18} (¥4.980) - 1.893.387 / NEW

http://www.gamer.ne.jp/news/201611240033/
http://www.4gamer.net/games/117/G011794/20161123002/

For comparison:

[3DS] Pokemon X / Y # <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2013.10.12} (¥4.800) - 1.866.570
[3DS] Pokemon Omega Ruby / Alpha Sapphire # <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2014.11.21} (¥4.937) - 1.508.665

[NDS] Pokemon Pearl / Diamond <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2006.09.28} (¥4.800) - 1.588.734
[NDS] Pokemon Heart Gold / Soul Silver <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2009.09.12} (¥4.800) - 1.442.990
[NDS] Pokemon Black / White <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2010.09.18} (¥4.800) - 2.557.779
[NDS] Pokemon Black 2 / White 2 <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2012.06.23} (¥4.800) - 1.561.738

Second best opening after Black / White.

cross thread quote

Good post. Game Freak should look towards Nintendo and what BotW is doing for open-ness, non-linearity, lack of tutorials, and presentation (VO). Maybe instead of Minecraft, they could look within the RPG genre towards Skyrim.

Top Bottom