• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Sword and Shield Developers Feel Cutting Down the Roster of Pokemon Was Inevitable

Mista

Banned
pokemon-sword-and-shield--1024x572.jpg

While speaking with Japanese gaming magazine Famitsu, Game Freak’s Junichi Masuda – longtime custodian of the series and producer of Sword and Shield – and Shigeru Ohmori – director of Sword and Shield – spoke about the topic, and mentioned once again that though the decision was not an easy one to make, and though they would ideally like to reverse it, the sheer number of Pokemon species they now have to work with makes it very tough to do so. Ultimate, according to them, this is something that was inevitably going to happen sooner or later.

Masuda also mentioned having to create new models and animations from the ground up for all Pokemon species (so it doesn’t look like they’re reusing the 3DS animations after all, and had to remake them from scratch to get to a higher level of quality), and how that played a role in influencing this decision as well.
“Another point is that the total number of Pokemon has exceeded 1000, including new Pokemon and form changes. As a result, in addition to adapting to changes in hardware in order to create quality graphics, it has become very difficult to adjust the balance of each Pokemon’s unique skills. That is the reason for this decision, and why we have decided it will be difficult to have all Pokemon appear in future works.”
“This decision is personally very sad [for me]. Of course I wanted to be able to bring every Pokemon if I could, but it was also a decision that I had to make eventually. In the end, I had no choice but to prioritize quality.”

Game director Shigeru Ohmori – who also directed the preceding Pokemon Sun and Moon – also chimed in
“Even in Pokemon Sun and Moon it was quite the difficult situation to bring in every Pokemon, but then we switched to Nintendo Switch and the models had to be rebuilt from scratch so we had to make some decisions. However, although there are limitations to the amount of Pokemon you can play with, Pokemon Sword and Shield‘s content such as the Wild Area and story are quite extensive.”

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
As I've said before, fine by me as a casual player. I've never gotten into catching them all. I just get some I like for each type, make a strong party, beat the elite 4 and watch the credits and stop playing.

I get why die hards who do love catching them all and have lots of favorites are disappointed with a limited roster. But I'd agree with the devs that some cut back was going to have to happen sooner or later. I guess they just went to severely for the diehards. Though I'm sure it will sell gangbusters and once again prove that devs should listen to vocal minorities online when making mainstream games. That crowd only matters for niche stuff that mostly sells to the online gaming community. Moot for a huge franchise, especially one aimed at kids first and foremost.

iconmaster

Banned
We still don't know just how many have been cut, right?

I'm surprised they had to redo the models. Seems like they could have future-proofed their work better.

we switched to Nintendo Switch and the models had to be rebuilt from scratch so we had to make some decisions

MagnesG

Banned
I don't play pokemon but isn't the game basically a roster update everytime they release a new one? If they cut off old content people might not "upgrade". They are playing a dangerous game.
Not really, Most people care more about reaching now regions and getting completely new pokemons, old ones only added flavors to the regions.

tkscz

I don't play pokemon but isn't the game basically a roster update everytime they release a new one? If they cut off old content people might not "upgrade". They are playing a dangerous game.

Each generation adds more to the battle system along with adding more Pokemon. Gen 1 to Gen 2 added the most amount of content from one to the other (Breeding, holding items, different kinds of pokeballs, day/night cycle, rematching trainers so that you can't run out of cash, extra mode after beating the game, two new types, etc) while also adding 100 more pokemon. After that, they did fewer things to the battle system until X and Y when they added Mega-evolutions and the fairy type which shook up battles (and then promptly removed Mega-evolutions). But that's not to say they didn't add worth while content, just that they keep removing that content come the next generation.

I can't disagree with them now that pokemon has hit over 1,000 of the damn things, but they haven't shown off if they changed up the battle system enough to justify not including all of them. I'd love a shake up the same way Gen 2 did it, even one like gen 6

We still don't know just how many have been cut, right?

I'm surprised they had to redo the models. Seems like they could have future-proofed their work better.

I'll give them that, GameFreak as not done a fully HD game yet. They didn't touch the WiiU at all and stuck to the 3DS. Imaging going from developing games on the 3DS to the damn Switch, that's a lot they'd have to learn, which is most likely the reason everything looks so much like an up-res 3DS game.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
pokemon-sword-and-shield--1024x572.jpg

While speaking with Japanese gaming magazine Famitsu, Game Freak’s Junichi Masuda – longtime custodian of the series and producer of Sword and Shield – and Shigeru Ohmori – director of Sword and Shield – spoke about the topic, and mentioned once again that though the decision was not an easy one to make, and though they would ideally like to reverse it, the sheer number of Pokemon species they now have to work with makes it very tough to do so. Ultimate, according to them, this is something that was inevitably going to happen sooner or later.

I'm not sure about this. They have being using their 3D HD future proof models since XY. Actually, that work came from Creatures, so it's not like they're working on "the number of species". They could be working on the game itself but most of textures ,assets, water reflections, etc really looks mediocre to say the least so it's pretty hard to believe they're priotizing the "quality" aspect of the game.

Masuda also mentioned having to create new models and animations from the ground up for all Pokemon species (so it doesn’t look like they’re reusing the 3DS animations after all, and had to remake them from scratch to get to a higher level of quality), and how that played a role in influencing this decision as well.

That proved to be misinformation spread unfortunatelly.

The tweet this guy was answering even got deleted. It seems that it was a bad mistranslation, they never said they had to recreate new models.

Also, a lot of pictures and pieces of info already support that line of thinking.

Lucario SwSh model vs 3DS model. Notice that all the imperfections are the same.

And the base argument is: If what they said is true, and they indeed recreated all the models why the heck they keep all the imperfections? Why developers would go so hard to recreate every piece of the alredy existent models without even make them better?

Even in Pokemon Sun and Moon it was quite the difficult situation to bring in every Pokemon, but then we switched to Nintendo Switch and the models had to be rebuilt from scratch so we had to make some decisions. However, although there are limitations to the amount of Pokemon you can play with, Pokemon Sword and Shield‘s content such as the Wild Area and story are quite extensive.

This was probably because of the hardware limitations(3DS in this case) and the fact they had to transition their high poli models into the 3DS.

Last edited:

MagnesG

Banned
I would love for people to at least put trust to deserved developers, but I get the skepticism.

Each generation adds more to the battle system along with adding more Pokemon. Gen 1 to Gen 2 added the most amount of content from one to the other (Breeding, holding items, different kinds of pokeballs, day/night cycle, rematching trainers so that you can't run out of cash, extra mode after beating the game, two new types, etc) while also adding 100 more pokemon. After that, they did fewer things to the battle system until X and Y when they added Mega-evolutions and the fairy type which shook up battles (and then promptly removed Mega-evolutions). But that's not to say they didn't add worth while content, just that they keep removing that content come the next generation.

I can't disagree with them now that pokemon has hit over 1,000 of the damn things, but they haven't shown off if they changed up the battle system enough to justify not including all of them. I'd love a shake up the same way Gen 2 did it, even one like gen 6

I'll give them that, GameFreak as not done a fully HD game yet. They didn't touch the WiiU at all and stuck to the 3DS. Imaging going from developing games on the 3DS to the damn Switch, that's a lot they'd have to learn, which is most likely the reason everything looks so much like an up-res 3DS game.
Personally having Dynamaxing and Gigantamaxing (Mega-evo + Z-moves) for 3 turns are already a better proposition than before.

personally i dont care. BUT this was a perfect opportunity to do a soft reboot and rebalancing for the entire pokedex, and now it seems like theyve gone a fucked up the chance at it.

i guess their next opportunity is when they finish all the regions, then they can finally settle on a complete and global pokedex

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
Personally having Dynamaxing and Gigantamaxing (Mega-evo + Z-moves) for 3 turns are already a better proposition than before.

I believe the same was said when they fisrt introduced Megas. Then later first introduced Z-moves.

Until we got fully explanation how those Dynamax and Gigantamax works, theres no telling if it's already "better". I mean that turtle mon just set up Stealth Rock by attacking. Theres no telling whats happening if those Dynamax where used on already strong/hard to deal pokemons.

If its too much work for you then out-source the models, you have more money than your ever gonna spend you greedy asses. Also that balancing excuse is bs, all your old Pokemon were already balanced in the last game don't act like you have to balance all 1000 Pokemon from scratch.

DavJay

Rather have a new game with new region and only all new 150 or so Pokémon than a game that feels half finished

MagnesG

Banned
personally i dont care. BUT this was a perfect opportunity to do a soft reboot and rebalancing for the entire pokedex, and now it seems like theyve gone a fucked up the chance at it.

i guess their next opportunity is when they finish all the regions, then they can finally settle on a complete and global pokedex
Maybe for spin-offs or Pokemon Home. Other than that, don't hope for that anymore.

I believe the same was said when they fisrt introduced Megas. Then later first introduced Z-moves.

Until we got fully explanation how those Dynamax and Gigantamax works, theres no telling if it's already "better". I mean that turtle mon just set up Stealth Rock by attacking. Theres no telling whats happening if those Dynamax where used on already strong/hard to deal pokemons.
Yeah, they are great only in some cases. Before I just kinda go on with the flow, it's not much of a game changer for me - the megas and Z-m . For those maxings though, I think having them on limited turns can already turn some interesting approach. You got to be more aware of the upcoming turns, much like Bravely Default, in the sense holding off first or starts off strong.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I agree with they should have out-source the models. I believe Monolith Soft did that with Xenoblade 2 and they had nice diversity in blades.

Thats not even all them...
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

zuCWk3W.gif

giphy.gif

0upUiVt.gif

Su0VgzB.gif

Last edited:

ZeroGravity

THEN REBOOT THE SERIES

I guarantee you this outcry would have been much less, and the decision much better received long-term, if you actually took this opportunity to do something DIFFERENT with Pokemon. There'd still be people upset, but people in the long run would better understand that "Hey, we're making something brand new here, it's a lot of work, and as a result we couldn't include as many Pokemon as traditional." Instead we get "Here is literally the same game you've been playing for decades, now just with less stuff overall." And then on top lying about the reasons for it. Ridiculous.

If you really felt you reached the limit of how you can make traditional Pokemon games, then you should have realized it was the perfect time to reassess how you want this franchise to be going forward and do something different. There's no excuse, no reason, no explanation that will ever be satisfactory for what they have done with Sword and Shield.

Is this a legit translation this time or the google translated one that got spammed, despite different translators getting different context? I keep hearing different things over this Famitsu article.

All I know is Let's Go reused the X/Y/Sun/Moon models and Sword/Shield doesn't look much different from those, both the model quality and the animations, outside of the additional cel shading of Sword/Shield.
pokemon-swordshield-vs-letsgo-PIKACHU-feb282019-1038x576.jpg

Last edited:

Mochilador

The 3DS games really surprised me, I couldn't believe how good they looked, but this one looks really rushed.
I know that a lot of people don't care about graphics in a Pokemon game but this situation is really sad.

Ten_Fold

I don’t want 900+ Pokémon so I’m good, 200-300 max is good enough. I wasn’t even surprised with less Pokémon.

MagnesG

Banned
No, I remember they saying that its a choice they gonna use for the rest of series. What they gonna do is probably swaping mons, kinda like a rotation.
What about a 3rd version later to appease the backlash? Maybe a full pokedex could come.

Quezacolt

If its too much work for you then out-source the models, you have more money than your ever gonna spend you greedy asses.

Funny thins is, it's already outsourced. Gamefreak makes the games, sure, but the Pokemon company are the ones who make the pokemon models, so they look the same as the merchandise.

Fbh

THEN REBOOT THE SERIES

I guarantee you this outcry would have been much less, and the decision much better received long-term, if you actually took this opportunity to do something DIFFERENT with Pokemon. There'd still be people upset, but people in the long run would better understand that "Hey, we're making something brand new here, it's a lot of work, and as a result we couldn't include as many Pokemon as traditional." Instead we get "Here is literally the same game you've been playing for decades, now just with less stuff overall." And then on top lying about the reasons for it. Ridiculous.

If you really felt you reached the limit of how you can make traditional Pokemon games, then you should have realized it was the perfect time to reassess how you want this franchise to be going forward and do something different. There's no excuse, no reason, no explanation that will ever be satisfactory for what they have done with Sword and Shield.

Honestly I think it's not even about rebooting it or making some radical changes, I think just nicer production values with better visuals, animations and overall less recycling would have gone a long way.

From the videos and discussion I've seen right now, a lot of people seem to be mad because their excuse for not having the entire Pokedex is that they decided to focus on having less content but making it higher quality. But then when you see the dated look, same old basic animations and what at least appears to be recycled assets you are left with the impression that their whole "quality" claims are dishonest and you are ultimately getting less content while getting no notorious increase to the quality

Saber

Gold Member
What about a 3rd version later to appease the backlash? Maybe a full pokedex could come.

At this point I sincerelly dunno. Since they seems to want to cut things and releases versions annually, maybe not. Or maybe if the backlash hurts them they might reconsider...but the way things are, with people saying that gonna buy multiple versions of the game they look like they gonna escape from that easly.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Rather have a new game with new region and only all new 150 or so Pokémon than a game that feels half finished

Yeah if it was all new stuff I'd be fine with it but their stance of cutting out a chunk of the Pokemon is making me skip this one because their reasoning is just garbage.

It all amounts to "we didn't want to".

Their last game had all the Pokemon and the Switch is more powerful hardware so they really have no excuse.

I'd be more forgiving if the overworld was stellar but it looks like an upscaled 3DS game. Pretty sad honestly.

FStubbs

Probably to make you pay for Pokemon Home ergo the new Pokemon Bank which in turn will make you have to purchase a subscription to the Nintendo Switch Online service. Sounds rather awful.

And without being able to have all your pokemon in Sword/Shield, the Bank doesn't have a lot of value.

Saber

Gold Member
Probably to make you pay for Pokemon Home ergo the new Pokemon Bank which in turn will make you have to purchase a subscription to the Nintendo Switch Online service. Sounds rather awful.

Exactly why the Dex excuse sounds so odd. It's a part of a strategy for make people into paying subscription forever.
How they would keep charging people if Pokemon Bank is used only once for to transfer mons to a new Gen?

But if you limit the amount of mons, coupled with lack of information you gonna make people eat at your hands. You have here a life time supply of money, because once your mon is at Home they can't go back. Better yet, if you happen to not pay the subscription you risk your mons to dissapear forever.

Last edited:

Sakura

Personally I don't care if Pokemon get cut, I've never transferred Pokemon over from previous games, but you'd think they could at least tell everybody how many and which Pokemon.
Is this a legit translation this time or the google translated one that got spammed, despite different translators getting different context? I keep hearing different things over this Famitsu article.
Nah he says in the Japanese remaking the models from scratch.

Last edited:
NintendoLife actually paid a professional to translate the original interview, so take from it what you will:

Considering the quality of graphics in Pokémon Sword and Shield, it certainly would require considerable time to do that kind of work for every Pokémon.
Masuda:
I was personally sad about this decision. Of course, had it been feasible, I would have liked to make it possible to bring every Pokémon into the game. However, this was a choice we needed to make sooner or later. In the end, we had to choose quality.
Ohmori: Masuda and I discussed this issue a great deal. Even for Pokémon Sun and Moon, it was quite a difficult situation (to make it possible to bring every Pokémon into the game). Now that we are moving to the Nintendo Switch and remaking the models from scratch, we had to make some kind of choice. That said, despite the limitation on the Pokémon that can be brought into the game, the game's wild areas, story and other content is quite rich. I believe that players will understand that when they play the game.

All I feel on the subject is that so many are blowing this out of proportion when we are still 4 months out from release and have so little info to go on. None of us know how many Pokemon were cut and what the regional dex even totals out to be. Could very well be more than half or even 3/4ths the amount of existing pokemon (including new ones from Galar). We have yet to see what other new features have been included in the games or anything else of true significance. We got what? A handful of characters, a few new pokemon (and some returning pokemon revealed), the legendaries and the new regional battle gimmicks? Surely in the next 3 and a half to 4 months that’s barely the tip of the proverbial iceberg. Look at how much we’re learning about Fire Emblem Three Houses in only the last month or so before release.

Listen, I’ve been playing since Red and Green (before the games were ever localized outside of Japan) and I not only have my favorites like anyone else but I do have a full living dex with certain mons that I’ve taken to each and every game. Was I disappointed at the news of not having all Pokemon transferrable into the newest games? Absolutely. But I moved on because, 1) I’m not going to maintain an unhealthy obsession/attachment to what is simply pixels and coding, 2: they’re games, not life and death, 3: I play pokemon for new features and creatures and look forward to seeing different ideas implemented so as to not have the exact same formula 20+ years. But, at the end of the day, it’s a game and not all that serious.

Just go to the Pokemon and Masuda twitter accounts to see some of the toxicity the community is throwing. It’s one thing to be upset and trying to appeal to Game Freak that this is a poor decision, but that stance is lost when people are blatantly harassing Masuda and the Pokemon Company asking for people to kill themselves or be fired...

At the end of the day, if people opt out of getting Sword or Shield, that’s all fine and dandy to speak with your wallets to make a point to GameFreak and the decisions being made. But spewing hateful abusive rhetoric to the company and their staff and Masuda doesn’t make for a good look to get the point across to them.

Saber

Gold Member
All I feel on the subject is that so many are blowing this out of proportion when we are still 4 months out from release and have so little info to go on. None of us know how many Pokemon were cut and what the regional dex even totals out to be. Could very well be more than half or even 3/4ths the amount of existing pokemon (including new ones from Galar). We have yet to see what other new features have been included in the games or anything else of true significance. We got what? A handful of characters, a few new pokemon (and some returning pokemon revealed), the legendaries and the new regional battle gimmicks? Surely in the next 3 and a half to 4 months that’s barely the tip of the proverbial iceberg. Look at how much we’re learning about Fire Emblem Three Houses in only the last month or so before release.

I think the bold part you should really work on. Like, reflect for a while. We have 4 months and still so little relevant info was show. If it was such a hard choice, why hide the amount of mons the game will have? Why not share this info at all? What they have to fear? Its only fair to the ones that are planning to buy yet just ask the amount present, don't yah think?

Not gonna even quote the rest of your post because frankly, I'm not here to hear a soap opera drama. There are people toxic out there? Aways, there gonna be aways people toxic on both sides. Welcome to the internet. Now let's move on.

I think its worth notice this is beyond the all pokemon dex stuff. There are people who are just fine with cut, but ain't falling to the lies of "high quality" trade off. I believe that if they show something more impressive, they would be avoinding the backlash just fine.

I think the bold part you should really work on. Like, reflect for a while. We have 4 months and still so little relevant info was show. If it was such a hard choice, why hide the amount of mons the game will have? Why not share this info at all? What they have to fear? Its only fair to the ones that are planning to buy yet just ask the amount present, don't yah think?

Not gonna even quote the rest of your post because frankly, I'm not here to hear a soap opera drama. There are people toxic out there? Aways, there gonna be aways people toxic on both sides. Welcome to the internet. Now let's move on.

I think its worth notice this is beyond the all pokemon dex stuff. There are people who are just fine with cut, but ain't falling to the lies of "high quality" trade off. I believe that if they show something more impressive, they would be avoinding the backlash just fine.

What am I reflecting on exactly? 4 months is a fair amount of time to reveal more information before the games release. I’m not impatient for information like the rest of the rabid mongrels in the community. I like buildup of anticipation to my game releases.

There are toxic people on the internet?*feigns a gasp of astonishment* No fucking shit, Sherlock. I’m not naive to the world being a glum muck-covered piece of shit and not all puppies and rainbows. My point, if you could even comprehend such a thing, was about the properly translated interview you so conveniently chose to ignore. And people wonder why the companies don’t listen to our feedback and complaints is because you (speaking generally) tolerate the idiots amongst yourselves spewing such toxicity and making us look bad as a whole. And then what executive would want to take your complaints, valid or otherwise, seriously in the slightest? Respect is earned, not freely given. You are a consumer and owed nothing, just as the company is not entitled to your money or loyalty if you don’t like what they’re offering.

Do any of you have the files, source codes, exact models and whatnot on hand to say, with 100% proof, that the company has lied or made no actual effort on the game they’ve been working on for the past 2-3 years? Do dataminers have the games on hand and have they found every little shred of information for us to prove or disprove the mob of their suspicions? No? Then have several seats...

We all know GF is not the most competent at some of the work they’ve done on Pokemon in the past 20+ years, that’s not in question. They could stand fresh blood, competent staff and a newer outlook on the games in the future. But that aain’t happening with these games and people need to get the fuck over it.

TL;DR - I’m free to state my opinions and observations without the smarmy wise-ass commentary when you opt to gloss over the main point of my post in regards to the proper translation of the interview I shared.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
db3.png

Still don't really care. I buy Pokemon games to collect all 8 gym badges and beat the elite 4 so I can move onto the next video game not stay and collect all 800-1000 or however many Pokemon. Don't really have the time or patience for that kinda stuff anymore plus I'd most likely get bored after awhile.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sakura

Listen, I’ve been playing since Red and Green (before the games were ever localized outside of Japan) and I not only have my favorites like anyone else but I do have a full living dex with certain mons that I’ve taken to each and every game. Was I disappointed at the news of not having all Pokemon transferrable into the newest games? Absolutely. But I moved on because, 1) I’m not going to maintain an unhealthy obsession/attachment to what is simply pixels and coding, 2: they’re games, not life and death, 3: I play pokemon for new features and creatures and look forward to seeing different ideas implemented so as to not have the exact same formula 20+ years. But, at the end of the day, it’s a game and not all that serious.

Just go to the Pokemon and Masuda twitter accounts to see some of the toxicity the community is throwing. It’s one thing to be upset and trying to appeal to Game Freak that this is a poor decision, but that stance is lost when people are blatantly harassing Masuda and the Pokemon Company asking for people to kill themselves or be fired...

At the end of the day, if people opt out of getting Sword or Shield, that’s all fine and dandy to speak with your wallets to make a point to GameFreak and the decisions being made. But spewing hateful abusive rhetoric to the company and their staff and Masuda doesn’t make for a good look to get the point across to them.
Eh, if the majority of the Pokemon were still there, I feel like they would say this to diffuse the situation.
The entire interview to me reads like they just want people to pay for Pokemon Home.

Eh, if the majority of the Pokemon were still there, I feel like they would say this to diffuse the situation.
The entire interview to me reads like they just want people to pay for Pokemon Home.

Oh, no doubt they want us to pay into Home. I’ll personally wait until I know what the total of the Galar dex is before I purchase into the service. Unless they say The Poke Bank is shutting down, my full dex will stay there until I have all answers needed.

But as it stands, I’m currently happy with what I’ve seen, little as it is, to secure my continued interest in the franchise.

Last edited:

OldBoyGamer

Banned
One thing that is often missed in these situations is to drill down into both the tech of the dev but also the experience and skills of the devs themselves.

I’ve worked at a couple of studios that had franchises that had been going for many years. In both cases I came across a quite unique phenomena - a staleness.

What happens is that the tech devs use doesn’t get remade from game to game or even from gen to gen, that means over a period of let’s say 10 to 20 years, they could well be using code and tech that is still somehow reliant on ancient tech. This is incredibly restrictive and can easily stunt a games growth.

The same can also be true of the staff. People have been there for decades who haven’t updated their tech or artistic knowledge or skills.

As someone who who jumped from studio to studio when I was younger, this was mind blowing to me. But it can easily happen.

I’m sitting here and thinking Game Freaks suffers from both of these things. Just my assumption.

theclaw135

Banned
It's taken for granted how time-consuming the little details in game development are.

Like how randomized attacks (Assist, Metronome...) mean that Pokemon need to animate correctly when using (not just being targeted by) any move.

Lanrutcon

And yet they still haven't revealed a list of Pokemon that made the cut in order to meet the fans halfway.

Fuck off, Gamefreak. If you want understanding then you'll start communicating.

Saber

Gold Member
What am I reflecting on exactly? 4 months is a fair amount of time to reveal more information before the games release. I’m not impatient for information like the rest of the rabid mongrels in the community. I like buildup of anticipation to my game releases.

There are toxic people on the internet?*feigns a gasp of astonishment* No fucking shit, Sherlock. I’m not naive to the world being a glum muck-covered piece of shit and not all puppies and rainbows. My point, if you could even comprehend such a thing, was about the properly translated interview you so conveniently chose to ignore. And people wonder why the companies don’t listen to our feedback and complaints is because you (speaking generally) tolerate the idiots amongst yourselves spewing such toxicity and making us look bad as a whole. And then what executive would want to take your complaints, valid or otherwise, seriously in the slightest? Respect is earned, not freely given. You are a consumer and owed nothing, just as the company is not entitled to your money or loyalty if you don’t like what they’re offering.

Do any of you have the files, source codes, exact models and whatnot on hand to say, with 100% proof, that the company has lied or made no actual effort on the game they’ve been working on for the past 2-3 years? Do dataminers have the games on hand and have they found every little shred of information for us to prove or disprove the mob of their suspicions? No? Then have several seats...

We all know GF is not the most competent at some of the work they’ve done on Pokemon in the past 20+ years, that’s not in question. They could stand fresh blood, competent staff and a newer outlook on the games in the future. But that aain’t happening with these games and people need to get the fuck over it.

TL;DR - I’m free to state my opinions and observations without the smarmy wise-ass commentary when you opt to gloss over the main point of my post in regards to the proper translation of the interview I shared.

I didn't choose to ignore lol

That was basically 20% of your post.
If you want to discuss that, well I'm not sure that translation differs from the one the Serebii dude did. And as far I remember, he took back his translation because it was be using to spread misinformation. Again, these are a lot of piece of informations that supports the point that they're are indeed re-using models. The animations, the battle effects, pokemon models imperfections, they are all there for you to see. Believe in these or not are up to you. On the other hand all you have is this translated Interview and...basically nothing more to support that, just questioning about the sources files and whatnot.

Also the competent part its a matter of perpective. They are the slowpoke in terms of advancing graphically. I mean, might as well remind you that we are in 2019.

And again spare me the internet drama. I'm not here to use the "Oh my god people on the internet are being toxic" argument(if that can be even used lol). If you gonna rant about that at least warn me so I skip that part.

On the flip side of the controversy... giving too much attention to old Pokemon makes the game feel regurgitated.

This is unfortunatelly a thing we were noticing since XY. I dunno why got in them to do so much pandering, but at this point is becaming rather boring.

db3.png

Still don't really care. I buy Pokemon games to collect all 8 gym badges and beat the elite 4 so I can move onto the next video game not stay and collect all 800-1000 or however many Pokemon. Don't really have the time or patience for that kinda stuff anymore plus I'd most likely get bored after awhile.

You're honest and straighfoward. I can respect that.

Last edited:

Belmonte

What about animations? With a large roster like that, even if inferior to past games, adding new animations can grow the work exponentially.

Top Bottom