• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon |OT| It Means Hello and Goodbye

ZeroX03

Banned
logos.png

Alohla! Pokémon Ultra Sun and Pokémon Ultra Moon are the second paired versions of Generation VII and feature an alternate storyline from Pokémon Sun and Moon. The games will be available on the Nintendo 3DS worldwide on November 17, 2017. The games will feature Pokémon that did not appear in Pokémon Sun and Moon.

Platform: 3DS
Release Date: 17th Nov 2017
Developer: Game Freak
Genre: Role-playing video game
Rating: Everyone

Evil teams, epic legendary Pokemon, alternate dimensions, stunning Z-Moves and more in an upgraded version of Sun and Moon!

bpKPkjC.gif

Lore: The game puts an emphasis on the legendary Pokémon Necrozma. Similar to the original versions, the game is set in the Alola region, based on the Hawaii islands. Although largely the same, the new games feature additional buildings and locations in comparison to the first installments. Multiple main characters featured in Sun and Moon, such as Lillie and Gladion, return in the game with significant changes. A new group, the Ultra Recon Squad, is introduced with differing characters in the two games. A parallel universe to Alola, where Necrozma has robbed all light sources, is centered at a location known as Ultra Megalopolis and is accessible through the Ultra Wormholes.

tumblr_oyotmh3QYS1r8sc3ro2_540.gif

Assaults from the Ultra Recon Squad aren't your only threat, you'll find Ultra Beasts and more in the worlds that lie beyond an Ultra Wormhole. You can even encounter Legendary Pokémon, such as Mewtwo, Ho-Oh, Lugia, and others. In fact, all the Legendary Pokémon of yore will appear in the worlds you explore in Pokémon Ultra Sun and Pokémon Ultra Moon! Get them on your team!

gallery-1474385431-stupid-dancing-pokemon-sun-and-moon.gif

Women, men and the otherly gendered rejoice, there's more than just new story and new Pokemon. There's new Z-Moves for specific Pokemon, the Z-Power Ring which allows for more varieties, new forms for Pokemon like Lycanroc and Necrozma, cameos from old adversaries, a surfing mini-game, the Battle Agency, collectible Totem Stickers and more!

tumblr_or4r5jKPj51upp4n0o2_500.gif
tumblr_or4r5jKPj51upp4n0o1_500.gif

Ultra Sun-Exclusive Pokemon

Alolan Vulpix
Alolan Ninetales
Houndour
Houndoom
Cranidos
Rampardos
Cottonee
Whimsicott
Tirtouga
Carracosta
Rufflet
Braviary
Lurantis (Totem-sized)
Passimian
Turtonator
Ho-oh
Raikou
Groudon
Latios
Dialga
Heatran
Reshiram
Tornadus
Xerneas
Buzzwole
Kartana
Dusk Mane Necrozma
UB-Burst

Ultra Moon-Exclusive Pokemon

Alolan Sandshrew
Alolan Sandslash
Electrike
Manectric
Shieldon
Bastiodon
Petilil
Lilligant
Archen
Archeops
Vullaby
Mandibuzz
Salazzle (Totem-sized)
Oranguru
Drampa
Lugia
Entei
Kyogre
Latias
Palkia
Regigigas
Zekrom
Thundurus
Yveltal
Lunala
Pheromosa
Celesteela
Dawn Wings Necrozma
UB-Assembly

pokemon%20ultra%20review%20main%202.jpg

Manus

Awesome OP thanks for making it! Can't wait to pick up Ultra Sun tomorrow at Best Buy.

Gonna try playing through this with entirely different Pokemon than what I played Moon with.

Robin64

The wormholes are insane for shinies. There are only 20 possible normal Pokémon in them, but within a few hours Joe had 6 or 7 shinies already.

I got Pokemon Sun last year. Should i get Ultra Moon or Ultra Sun this year? Not sure which of the two to pick up. I already have a livingdex if that matters.

Apparently the Mimikyu Z move is amazing. I haven't seen it yet.

If I didn't have a lot to play already I would probably pick this up. I really enjoyed Pokémon Sun and Moon. They were the best and most challenging single player campaigns since 2011's Black and White. A remixed director's-cut style game would definitely entertain me, even if it sounds less interesting on paper than the sequels that were Black and White 2.

Manus

The wormholes are insane for shinies. There are only 20 possible normal Pokémon in them, but within a few hours Joe had 6 or 7 shinies already.

Really that's awesome glad their finally doing something about the insane rate, even if it's just 20 Pokemon.

I got Pokemon Sun last year. Should i get Ultra Moon or Ultra Sun this year? Not sure which of the two to pick up. I already have a livingdex if that matters.

I'm going with the opposite of what I got last year. I got Moon so I'm getting Ultra Sun today.

ABeezy1388

Man, they need to go back to the R/B/Y and G/S/C, hell even R/S/E. I did buy Sun but these new games seem to have lost the magic compared to what I listed. Maybe its because I am old now? I don't know.

The "Island challenges" aren't as fun to me as the classic system with Gyms. I wish they would take the foundation of the games I've listed above and build it on that, make it bigger, better, more challenging, and add in a deeper story.

Sorry... kind of derails this OT a bit. I never even finished Sun, doubt I pick this up.

Man, they need to go back to the R/B/Y and G/S/C, hell even R/S/E. I did buy Sun but these new games seem to have lost the magic compared to what I listed. Maybe its because I am old now? I don't know.

The "Island challenges" aren't as fun to me as the classic system with Gyms. I wish they would take the foundation of the games I've listed above and build it on that, make it bigger, better, more challenging, and add in a deeper story.

Sorry... kind of derails this OT a bit. I never even finished Sun, doubt I pick this up.

Good news, in the last three years they rereleased RBY, GSC, and remade RSE.

ABeezy1388

Good news, in the last three years they rereleased RBY, GSC, and remade RSE.

Well yeah I know that, and I have replayed them. I am specifically talking about going forward. I wish they would go back to the roots of the series. These newer games don't seem to hold that same type of magic.

Espada

Well yeah I know that, and I have replayed them. I am specifically talking about going forward. I wish they would go back to the roots of the series. These newer games don't seem to hold that same type of magic.

Nah, like he said they have already gone back to those games. If there is any magic missing in the series, that's your perception of things. The series does not need to regress in any way shape or form. One of the best parts of this series is that they continue to provide better QoL in each entry, so the process of catching, training, and collecting pokemon is more enjoyable.

I'm still undecided on Ultra Sun and Moon, I need to see all the substantive (read: non-story mode) additions to the game and see if it justifies $40 for the game.

I'm so torn, I got the first Sun and for literally every reason I can think of I want Ultra Sun instead of Ultra Moon, except... Shiny Latias. That's the one shiny I've always wanted the most, and with the shiny charm being so easy, I think I'd actually be able to stomach the monotony of SRing for it.

But I really don't want Ultra Moon...
Guess I'm running out of time to decide which version to get

I bought Moon when it came out. I hated so many things about it. It became the first Pokemon game that I never played through until the end. Unless they do something much better going forward, I'm afraid I'm done playing these games. I won't be buying the Ultra versions. It's an odd thing to say considering how great these games used to be.

Smasher89

Finally reached postgame and doing the postgame story stuff, the game grows and makes the fan in me very happy alot of times :, them playing around with expectations based on sun and moon is especially fun!
Also, is it just me or are the actual bossfights real bosses this time in comparizon?, i like it!

Probably catching every legendary so im able to trade with some ultra moon player, then replay the game when pokebank gets updated, but with a filled dex meaning shiny charm for the playthrough as an example.

EDIT: postgame plot done, now where did
Looker
go :D

AzureFlame

I agree, they're too much focused on the wrong things and they do a little of everything, also cuting alot of features that should have been the standard for future games.

I don't want pokemon to feel like I'm a tourist in a new region, i want it to be like more like gen 1-5 and less like 6-7.

Manus

Well they give you your starter a whole lot quicker, but their's still loads of cut scenes in the early parts of the game that can't be skipped.

So is the game really the same as Sun, with just extra stuff sprinkled throughout? I was set on getting the game but now I've been hesitating and didn't buy it yesterday.

Manus

So is the game really the same as Sun, with just extra stuff sprinkled throughout? I was set on getting the game but now I've been hesitating and didn't buy it yesterday.

So a lot seems the same. They revamped the UI so it looks much better. I've also noticed they have added lots of new Pokémon to the routes. Which makes replaying this a joy.

Smasher89

Harder difficulty in general with a lot of thrown in surprises that'll catch you off guard if you played the originals.

Pelago training area has a way to make your pokemon train without placing your pokemon back and forth in boxes anymore too.

You can get surfing Pikachu now, not sure about flying yet, havent checked if it can relearn fake out though

Manus

I'm blown away by how early you can find Noibats in this. They weren't even in Sun and Moon. It's so hard deciding on a team in this, their's just so many good Pokemon.

WilGrieve

I'm Nuzlocking this game and this has been one of the most interesting ones I've ever done. The spread of different awesome Pokemon is making it pretty hard to choose which to use.

Manus

Just completed the water trail and this is my team so far. Thanks to Pokebank working now I was able to transfer some Pokemon over.

Inkay Lv. 21
Whirlipede Lv. 22
Torracat Lv. 22
Riolu Lv. 23
Goomy Lv. 23

I have had EXP. Share off this play through.

Does anyone know if you can repeatedly run away from the legendaries in wormholes to hunt shinies or if you need to SR each time?

Just completed the water trail and this is my team so far. Thanks to Pokebank working now I was able to transfer some Pokemon over.

Inkay Lv. 21
Whirlipede Lv. 22
Torracat Lv. 22
Riolu Lv. 23
Goomy Lv. 23

I have had EXP. Share off this play through.

Don't forget to hold your 3DS upside down in case of Inkay's evolution. My mind is still blown by that fact.

Smasher89

Does anyone know if you can repeatedly run away from the legendaries in wormholes to hunt shinies or if you need to SR each time?
From what ive read, the legendaries is set as normal legendaries that can be shinies, so softresetting is the fastest way. But if you do defeat a legendary and leave, it will have respawned in a wormhole i think.

I'm blown away by how early you can find Noibats in this. They weren't even in Sun and Moon. It's so hard deciding on a team in this, their's just so many good Pokemon.
I was thinking the same thing. With the availability of previous gen starters, I'm having a hard time sticking with a team.

Vallen

Neo Member
Supposedly the Japanese didn't like these games. They got a 2.5/5 on Amazon Japan. Are the games that bad, or did GF get lazy and din't add much new?

Supposedly the Japanese didn't like these games. They got a 2.5/5 on Amazon Japan. Are the games that bad, or did GF get lazy and din't add much new?

They got review bombed for not adding much content. The last "third version" like this was a decade ago after all.

Manus

Don't forget to hold your 3DS upside down in case of Inkay's evolution. My mind is still blown by that fact.

I totally forgot that! Thanks for the heads up. What a unique way to evolve, hope we get some more cool ones like that with the next Pokemon on the Switch.

Just finished the first trial in Verdant Cave, sofar nothing is TOO different but that doesn't bother me much. It's amazing how different the game feels just by using different Pokemon.

Here's my party sofar, all between levels 13 and 17:
Brionne
Pichu
Rockruff (Event)
Inkay
Buneary
Stufful (this one I brought over from OG sun at lv1. Hatched him as a shiny and always regretted not using a stufful in my original party in the first game. First time bringing someone over from a previous game at the start and tbh it does feel pretty broken having access to thunder and ice punch)

I think I can honestly say that Gen 7 has restored my sense of Pokemania. I know there are complaints about the changes, but it worked in bringing me back to actually enjoying Pokemon.

I started back in the FR/LG era as an already grown adult with little kids. Not only did I get hooked, but naturally so did my children. We credit Pokemon with helping my son (age 4 at the time) get a head start on reading by sitting with my wife and my copy of LeafGreen while i was at work. It wasn't long before two more GBA SP's and Pokemon cartridges were purchased for the kids.

I beat LG twice. I also beat the Elite 4 in FR and LG for my daughter and son as they found it too challenging at their ages. I beat Emerald 3 times as well, once for me, once for each of them. We went to the Pokemon 10th anniversary event and had a delightful time battling and trading with other kids & geeky adults while standing in line, my wife serving as our official photographer. When Diamond/Pearl came out, my non-gamer wife decided it was time to join in instead of just watch so I bought her a DS and game for herself. She spent hours sitting in the car playing after we got home because she couldn't put the game down long enough to come inside! Pokemon was now fully a family activity. We spent more hours than I can count in the underground in D/P.

But somewhere in that time, Pokemon started losing its luster for me. Maybe it was the awful, artificial slowness they introduced in D/P that made playing the main game an absolute chore. Again, we mostly stayed in the Underground so the core game lost focus. While I did make it to the foot of Victory Road, I didn't complete it. Perhaps I had franchise fatigue from beating the E4 7 times in the GBA era. We all got copies of Platinum, but my son lost interest at that point and so the shared family activity was partially broken. I was so turned off by D/P's lagginess that I never really started Platinum (not learning until years later that Platinum fixed the very slowness I'd been complaining about). My wife and daughter both finished Platinum and encouraged me to try, but I just couldn't summon the interest.

I still bought and partially played most of the new releases (except BW2 & HG/SS). We went to all the events at Toy's R Us & other retailers to get event legendaries, and it was fun to chat with the staff and other players. Often it was just my wife and I, the kids weren't as interested anymore, so we'd bring their game cartridges and faithfully download the event Pokemon on their behalf. When event Pokemon moved to mostly online downloads, I'd fire up the games just for that. But I hadn't beaten the Elite 4 and become champion since Emerald, much less tried to build any sort of competitive team.

For me, Pokemon Sun & Moon has restored the magic of the game itself for the first time since Emerald. I really enjoyed the story, the characters, and the setting. I was hooked enough to plow through and roll credits. I'm enjoying the post game. I'm already well into Ultra Moon and I think I'm enjoying it more than my Moon adventure. I've visited Poke Pelago and started exploring the online functions. I'm considering EV training a competitive team again for post-game.

Perhaps more significantly, it has re-kindled my interest in revisiting and finishing (at least to the point of becoming Pokemon League Champion) all the Pokemon games I never finished in the past. I know there is a lot of magic that I've missed. I barely started Platinum so I have no qualms about restarting that one from the beginning. Others like Black, Y and Omega Ruby I'm not sure as I do have a number of "event" Pokemon in each one. Is it worth restarting and losing the event Pokemon so I can relish the games in their entirety, or do I watch a play through on YouTube to refresh my memory of what happened up to where I left off and continue from there?

tl;dr
I'm enjoying Gen 7!

Manus

I'm with you Turnip, it's just I didn't really enjoy Gen 7 till we got Ultra Sun and Moon. It's amazing how much more I can like a Pokemon game when they add lots of Pokemon on routes. Makes the experience so much more rewarding to play through. It's one big reason I liked X & Y so much was because every route was loaded with Pokemon to catch.

I just got to the fourth island and finally got 40 stickers to get my Alolan Marowak. Can't wait to try him out since I haven't used one before.

Smasher89

Others like Black, Y and Omega Ruby I'm not sure as I do have a number of "event" Pokemon in each one. Is it worth restarting and losing the event Pokemon so I can relish the games in their entirety, or do I watch a play through on YouTube to refresh my memory of what happened up to where I left off and continue from there?

tl;dr
I'm enjoying Gen 7!
Just trade them to another game file to not lose them before restarting?

Just trade them to another game file to not lose them before restarting?

I would highly reccomend the Pokemon bank, I was put off by the subscription-type payment and didn't get it until the month before Ultra Sun came out, but gotta say it's just SO convenient, and designed really well. It's making me want to go back and play the games I haven't played before (Platinum and B2/W2), which for me def makes it worth the $5.
We'll see if I end up renewing it 11 months from though

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
Heads' up anyone who may still be playing, considering playing or tempted to go back to playing the worlds favorite critter enslavement simulator

Pokemon are giving away a free legendary pokemon every month up to November:

https://www.pokemonlegendary.com/en-gb/

All you have to do is start up your game, select mystery gift, and connect to the internet. You'll then be given a legendary depending upon which version of the game you have. This applies to Sun, Moon, Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon.

I have Ultra Sun installed at the moment so this month I got Regigigas. Pretty nice for a freebie.

Top Bottom