• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon VGC 2016 Ruleset - Up to 2 legendaries allowed per team

http://www.pokemon.com/us/strategy/vgc-2016-champion-series-preview/

http://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-news/the-2016-video-game-championship-format-has-been-announced/

-All battles will be Double Battles played in Pokémon Omega Ruby and Pokémon Alpha Sapphire.

-Time limits for battles will vary by event. At major events (Regional Championships and above), battles will have a 15-minute time limit, 45-second move timer, and a 90-second Team Preview.

-Pokémon brought in via Poké Transporter will not be permitted (the blue pentagon is required).

-All discovered Pokémon will be allowed except the following Mythical Pokémon: Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Deoxys, Phione, Manaphy, Darkrai, Shaymin, Arceus, Victini, Keldeo, Meloetta, Genesect, Diancie, and Hoopa.

-Teams may have no more than two of the following Pokémon: Mewtwo, Lugia, Ho-Oh, Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Reshiram, Zekrom, Kyurem, Xerneas, Yveltal, and Zygarde.

-All items will be allowed except Soul Dew. Each Pokémon must hold a different item.

Note that Legendary Pokemon don't include Mythical Pokemon, which are event-only (except Deoxys)

Looks like that means Mega Rayquaza is allowed.

BiggNife

As someone who doesn't follow professional pokemon - is this something people wanted? Is it considered a good change? Aren't some legendary pokemon basically broken?

What's the difference between a Mythical and Legendary? Never heard of the mythical term and I didn't know Genesect was a legendary. It was just there in Black 2 and its pokedex entry made it sound like a fossil pokemon.

Also how do people spectate Pokemon tournaments?

RockmanBN

As someone who doesn't follow professional pokemon - is this something people wanted? Is it considered a good change? Aren't some legendary pokemon basically broken?
Yep. Mega Rayquaza is one of the most broken. He gets to mega evolve without a hold item with gives him a better advantage.

Surely this is the best way to nerf Mega Kangaskhan and the genies!

This didn't used to be as bad when they did it a few generations ago (except maybe 3rd gen when everything was Kyogre) but now we have things like Rayquaza with lessened weaknesses and 100 more BST, improved Kyogre from that meta, and a stronger Mewtwo to deal with.

Also can they please let people use mythicals? They're not even that powerful, I'd even say Thundurus and Cresselia are better than most of them. I know they're trying to make it so people don't feel left out, but the people that do have them can't even use them anywhere but in-game battles. Why is Deoxys even still banned in this list? They demoted it to in-game legendary in ORAS.

Andrefpvs

What's the difference between a Mythical and Legendary? Never heard of the mythical term and I didn't know Genesect was a legendary. It was just there in Black 2 and its pokedex entry made it sound like a fossil pokemon.

As a rule of thumb, a Legendary Pokémon is a Pokémon of legend that can be caught in-game. A Mythical Pokémon can only be obtained via events, and they're often revealed officially some time after the games are released.

There are some exceptions (like Deoxys in ORAS), but this is almost always accurate.

Mythical Pokémon are also not required to obtain Pokédex completion. They're basically the Mew of every Pokédex.

Also how do people spectate Pokemon tournaments?
Mythicals are event only legends. Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Deoxys, Phione, Manaphy, Shaymin, Darkrai, Arceus, Victini, Genesect, Keldeo, Meloetta, Hoopa, Diancie and
Volcanion

Most major tournaments are streamed via Twitch.

backlot

Worth noting that Primal Reversions don't count as Megas. You could have a team with Primal Kyogre and Mega Rayquaza. Or Primal Kyogre, Primal Groudon and Mega Kangaskhan. GGs.

Daemul

Oh yeah, bout time. TPC are finally trying to curb the overuse of the Genies and others like Cresselia.

EDIT: WTF I read that wrong, they aren't trying to curb the use of legendaries, they're actually expanding the amount of legendaries allowed to be used and adding in the likes of Mega Ray and Primals?!.

1160.gif

Worth noting that Primal Reversions don't count as Megas. You could have a team with Primal Kyogre and Mega Rayquaza. Or Primal Kyogre, Primal Groudon and Mega Kangaskhan. GGs.
This is why I prefer Smogon rulesets. They are just so much more balanced and therefore rely more on skill and accurate prediction of your opponent. I know that's an unpopular opinion lately though.

Sterok

So which will be more popular, Mega Ray + P-Don, or Mega Ray + P-Ogre? I'm inclined to think the former, but either way this will be a glorious mess.

OmegaX

Bullshit. I'd rather have Mega Kangaskhan that Rayquaza and company being allowed. I liked VG2015 rules, why couldn't they keep it like that? =/

I for one welcome out mega rayquaza overlords. If we're going to have one pokemon on pretty much every team, might as well be a cool one

Why is Deoxys banned when it's catchable in delta episode without an event now? Not that it really matters since no sane person would choose Deoxys as one of the two legends

Yep. Mega Rayquaza is one of the most broken. He gets to mega evolve with a hold item with gives him a better advantage.
Under this ruleset Mega Rayquaza is absurdly broken. I predict it will be used on greater than 80% of world championship teams.

Some people like this kind of metagame but I don't.

Legal Mega Rayquaza? Crazy. What's the rationale behind this?
It's probably harder to ban just mega Ray since it's tied to a move that's useful on normal rayquaza as well and not an item

Also I wonder if anyone will use a second mega in reserve. With vgc rules you don't use every pokemon each battle, and since mega Ray isn't tied to an item you can use it well as normal Ray if you want to use a second mega

I mean, it's Doubles, I guess people will find some ways to have fun with him or counter him, but it still means he will be absolutely everywhere in teams. Were they really thinking people would use anything besides him?

Its a shame pokemon with cloud nine ability is not on par with the meta. Would've been somewhat useful in this weather overlord madness.

Whalermouse

Neo Member
The hell? I'm all for allowing more legendaries into the pool of usable Pokemon, but this is just going to result in everyone running Rayquaza and Groudon. What is TPCi thinking? Do they want to turn VGC into Ubers?

Top Bottom