• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon X/Y influenced by Kingdom Hearts? ~Spoilers~

botty

Banned
After putting in over 100 hours into Pokemon Y, I noticed things in the game that seemed to be pulled right out of Kingdom Hearts. Call it a reach, if you will, but it's still interesting...

Pokemon Amie

Probably the most blatant inspiration is Pokemon Amie, which is a feature to enhance the stats and relationship of your Pokemon...by feeding them and playing games with them. Kingdom Hearts did this first with Dream Drop Distance.

3fOBDcK.jpg
SN5fSaa.jpg

The features are pretty much the same, and you end up with similar results. I would say Kingdom Hearts does a better job at consolidating the purpose of these features since Pokemon needs Super Training and Amie to do what Kingdom Hearts does with one mode.

---
New Pokemon

With the new Pokemon games, GameFreak introduced the least amount of new pokemon in the history of the series, coming in lower than Gen II's 100 new pokemon with just 69. Are they running out of ideas? Maybe. But what was most interesting was that out of the 69 new pokemon, a few of them were familiar species/creatures to Kingdom Hearts' own new creatures, the Dream Eaters.

oqfH1K7.png
668.png
NFyEGBW.png
697.png
tJQ9mif.png
673.png
70XxWQc.png
714.png
DG9tr3i.png
671.png

Now, this isn't to say the new Pokemon are all rip offs (even though some are just repeating past pokemon themselves) because GameFreak did manage to pop up some original and unique designs this gen. It was just unfortunate that so few were released. However, There are more examples of new Pokemon looking like Dream Eaters, such as the new Panda pokemon or the thing with the big claw.

---
The Elite Four/Pokemon League

So the Elite Four, in all its underwhelming glory, takes place in a castle this gen. It is actually a very well designed final place for the game to "end," and definitely fits the european motif that the developers were going for with this region. However, as I approached and then entered the Elite Four castle, I couldn't help but feel like I was in the last world in Kingdom Hearts... Hollow Bastion.

1uxU5pQ.jpg
y9tsmJ5.jpg
aO5Dafi.jpg

It's kind of hard to see the castle in the last picture, but the first picture shows the small pound-like fountain that is also randomly found in Pokemon X/Y. Maybe, these fountains are just typical of Euro Castle architecture, but seeing it in Pokemon instantly gave me a flashback to the one in Hollow Bastion.

And then when you fight the Region Champion, Antheia, the battleground is the stained glass floor:

Fw3bTht.jpg

Which looks a lot like the in the Awakening Stations' stain glass floors/stairs in Kingdom Hearts:

ce4JB80.jpg

---
Some Plot Points

• Talk of a past Pokemon War that seems similar to the Keyblade War spoke in in Kingdom Hearts.
  • A mysterious old man (AZ) whose research ended up going badly and wants to be used by a new villain for dark purposes, seems exactly like DiZ's plot from Kingdom Hearts.
  • Bigger emphasis on friendship, with the introduction of four friends/rivals. Kingdom Hearts is known for drilling in the importance of friendship.

Oh... and then there is Klefki:

oYPiE5k.png

A stroke of genius by Gamefreak? Or an homage to the Keyblade and Heartless from Kingdom Hearts?

I doubt there is a direct correlation between KHDDD and Pokémon XY. A lot of the addition seem to be a natural evolution (HA!) of the series and the Pokémon seem to be closer to the original animals rather and directly inspired by the creatures in KH3D.

Nemesis_

Kingdom Hearts invented the Tamagotchi as well as Dinosaurs, Flowers, Goats, Bats and Lions.

Oh and stained glass.

Truly a trendsetter.

cafemomo

This reminds me I wanna see a Pokémon x Final Fantasy

Set in Ivalice or Hoenn
Get to choose one of the many FF protags as your MC

It would be a dream come true

abrack08

When I saw this pop up on the NeoGAF new thread twitter, I immediately thought "Only Botty would make a topic like that."

There are a surprising amount of similarities in some of the Dream dudes and new Pokemon. I didn't get very far in DDD so I'm not the best judge.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Kingdom Hearts invented the Tamagotchi as well as Dinosaurs, Flowers, Goats, Bats and Lions.

Oh and stained glass.

Truly a trendsetter.

yeah this thread is quite the reach

but I have seen the OP champion Kingdom Hearts several times so maybe he is just starting to imagine its 'influence' in anything he plays, I would take that as a sign to stop playing the series for a while...

botty

Banned
Nintendogs influenced by Kingdom Hearts?

nintendogs.jpg

I hear you, but...

Nintendogs was released in 2005, and up until X/Y we had 2 generations and a remake. It wasn't until Kingdom Hearts implemented it in a game that featured fighting monsters did Gamefreak put it in Pokemon.

Kyon

Banned
The OP didn't lie. I saw all the same similarities he did.

Global Hearts continues to set trends and inspire game developers to think outside the box and try to imitate a successful groundbreaking series.

Global hearts also inspired the group of friend introduced in Pomemon XY.

Nemesis_

yeah this thread is quite the reach

but I have seen the OP champion Kingdom Hearts several times so maybe he is just starting to imagine its 'influence' in anything he plays, I would take that as a sign to stop playing the series for a while...

I think I'm beginning to agree with you, Marius. You've managed to capture my thoughts exactly.

At best the only influence would probably be Pokemon-Amie but that's it

Forkball

When you defeat it in battle, it actually drops all it's keys and loses them before they feint. I thought that was interesting.

Little known fact, your character actually gives all the keys to Link, who then breaks into people's houses and smashes pots.

Fireblend

Banned
You just had to go and derail your own thread :p

Anyway, interesting points. I'm really loving Pokemon X and I have to admit I've never tried Kingdom Hearts before so I couldn't notice the similarities, but I see how those designs could seem alike. Those KH designs look a lot more generic/streamlined to me than the Pokemon ones though.

Regarding the "friendship" theme, I don't know. I think Pokemon's always been about friendship and bonding with your 'mons and friends. And as you said, the general "design" of X/Y is heavily Euro-inspired, so the end-area seeming similar to other Euro-inspired area designs isn't that weird.

Still, good observations.

Screw the Klefki haters. Klefki's awesome.

botty

Banned
You just had to go and derail your own thread :p

Anyway, interesting points. I'm really loving Pokemon X and I have to admit I've never tried Kingdom Hearts before so I couldn't notice the similarities, but I see how those designs could seem alike. Those KH designs look a lot more generic/streamlined to me than the Pokemon ones though.

Regarding the "friendship" theme, I don't know. I think Pokemon's always been about friendship and bonding with your 'mons and friends. And as you said, the general "design" of X/Y is heavily Euro-inspired, so the end-area seeming similar to other Euro-inspired area designs isn't that weird.

Still, good observations.

Screw the Klefki haters. Klefki's awesome.

I love Klefki, too :3

Zomba13

---
New Pokemon

With the new Pokemon games, GameFreak introduced the least amount of new pokemon in the history of the series, coming in lower than Gen II's 100 new pokemon with just 69. Are they running out of ideas? Maybe. But what was most interesting was that out of the 69 new pokemon, a few of them were familiar species/creatures to Kingdom Hearts' own new creatures, the Dream Eaters.

oqfH1K7.png
668.png
NFyEGBW.png
697.png
tJQ9mif.png
673.png
70XxWQc.png
714.png
DG9tr3i.png
671.png

Now, this isn't to say the new Pokemon are all rip offs (even though some are just repeating past pokemon themselves) because GameFreak did manage to pop up some original and unique designs this gen. It was just unfortunate that so few were released. However, There are more examples of new Pokemon looking like Dream Eaters, such as the new Panda pokemon or the thing with the big claw.

Lion pokemon/dreamthingie looks like lion, Trex looks like Trex, Goat looks like goat etc.

upandaway

As someone who hasn't played KH, I can say that AZ and the war thing seem a tad alien to the world of Pokemon (not that much, but still). The other stuff in the OP are somewhat out there, but I can imagine that one.

I'm sure that Game Freak started development of the game (including Pokemon design) just weeks after DDD's March 29th release. It's completely plausible.

EulaCapra

Thanks for sharing, OP. You never know... Game Freak heads may really have gotten some vague inspirations from Dream Drop Distance.

Klefki already belongs to that game anyway, not Pokemon.

Elija2

I'm sure that Game Freak started development of the game (including Pokemon design) just weeks after DDD's March 29th release. It's completely plausible.

Dream Drop Distance came out last year. Heck, Black&White 2 came out after Dream Drop Distance so it's totally plausible.

Lion pokemon/dreamthingie looks like lion, Trex looks like Trex, Goat looks like goat etc.

This.

Do these Pokemon look like rips of those CHARACTERS or are they all just things that reference the same thing?

I hear you, but...

Nintendogs was released in 2005, and up until X/Y we had 2 generations and a remake. It wasn't until Kingdom Hearts implemented it in a game that featured fighting monsters did Gamefreak put it in Pokemon.
The feature is damn near impossible to do without 3D models and XY are the first 3D games.

And the feature makes the most logical sense for a game with monster fighting. Play with and feed monsters to make them better at fighting ... not that hard to see why both companies did it.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Gotta say at least the pokemon artists have enough restraint to make their creatures look like a technicolour mess.

botty

Banned

Uh... I am sure that everything I mentioned up above could have been added within the year+ since DDD was released. And the influence wasn't exclusive to just Dream Drop Distance.

Nohar

I actually thought the same thing as the OP regarding the Awakening Stations.

Still, I think that you're reaching a bit. But I can agree, at least partly, with your analysis.

Also: KH:DDD was a okay game which had a lot of flaws, and I certainly don't want to hear about the "pet mode" of KH:DDD ever again.

RedShift

Isn't there some thing in KH about anagrams of names with an X added? (Never actually played it)

Check it out, Serena (default girl character name) and Xerneas.

Top Bottom