• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon X & Y Overworld will not have 3D Effect

Vire

Well that's super disappointing... :(

From the latest Pokemon X & Y Commercial on TV:

On1jZXp.png

And Neogaf User Dawg:

Sorry to burst your bubble but I played the demo and can confirm 100% 3D is only used in battles, not the overworld.

I'd like to add 3D causes framedrops if you use moves with a lot of effects, no problems in 2D though.

Vire

...What? Thats absolutely insane. And disappointing.

I guess they were having issues with it running smoothly, or an decreased emphasis on 3D in Nintendo first party because of the 2DS...

Either-way, I'm pretty bummed.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I don't like 3D, but wow, that's crazy that Nintendo is allowing this.

The Lamp

What in the FUCK?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Why did you make a big fuss about investing in 3D technology and making compromises in designing the hardware for it if you're going to half-ass it?

Bullza2o

So would this mean it is due to time/experience optimizing the games on the 3DS dev kits, or is it really pushing the system to its limit?

If it's the latter we might not see the next generation of Pokemon until the 3DS successor comes out.

jwhit28

I guess they were having issues with it running smoothly, or an decreased emphasis on 3D in Nintendo first party because of the 2DS...

Either-way, I'm pretty bummed.

Well the next month they are releasing A Link Between Worlds which was built around 3D.

So would this mean it is due to time/experience optimizing the games on the 3DS dev kits, or is it really pushing the system to its limit?

If it's the latter we might not see the next generation of Pokemon until the 3DS successor comes out.

I think it's mostly just apathy

For those who enjoy the 3D effect it's disappointing, but after the first day, I don't think I've ever used the 3D effect once on my 3DS. So this isn't a problem for me in the slightest.

It makes sense that Game Freak would optimize the game for 2D, considering how the launch of the 2DS coincides with its release.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I can't really complain since they're making models for 700+ Pokemon plus all the customization options for trainers, but it's still disappointing since some of the locations seen on the Kalos Map look like they'd be neat to check out in 3D.

Is Pokemon-Amie 3D though? Surely that must be.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I find this so hard to believe. I know it was the case in the demo, Dawg's post there isn't news, but I assumed (with a lot of other people I think) that it was just for the demo. It will blow my mind if the full game is like that. What possible reason could they have? Too much 3D is bad for kids eyes, and since this is such a tentpole release for the younger market, they're minimizing 3D exposure? Sure wasn't a problem for any of the other friggin Pokemon games on the system.

I haven't played a single 3DS game with the 3D off. I would literally feel "cheated" by a 2D game on the system. Playing 2D games almost hurts my eyes on the 3DS screen.

Refuse to believe. REFUSE!!!!

Amir0x

Banned
The source is a gaffer who've played the demo?

He might be wrong; secondly that might only apply to the demo.

The source is actually that GAFFer and the video with the disclaimer at the bottom that says "this is a 2D game with SOME 3D gameplay." I've never seen that disclaimer before on full 3D games.

Nilaul

Im actually not getting the game over this, the 3D effect in the over-world would had make everything look like awesome pop-ups and make things look touchable and real; like little models. Playing a 2D game on a 3DS makes me feel cheated. Its a big deal breaker for me, this is coming from a guy with a Pikachu in his avatar.

Tablo

I'll be one of the few who doesn't have an issue with it being 2D.

Totally in the same camp, the situations when I'm playing Pokemon are not conducive to the effort needed to find and maintain a 3D "sweetspot". I'd rather they use the extra power needed to run 3D and make the game smoother/prettier, which is what they appear to have done, and for that they get 2 thumbs up!

HardRojo

I wasn't even planning to play this in 3D, completely fine with this actually, too bad for those who'd have preferred to have 3D on all the time but there were already reports about slowdown in the demos, I don't think 3D would have been properly implemented in the end.

Regiruler

No. God no. Everything from BW onward was pointing to it (3D visuals), and then they drop it like a rock. Dear Christ, no.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Not surprising. Even with first time development unoptimizations Fire Emblem looked like crap in battles. No one can dispute that. So Game Freak not being able to make the over world 3D with all of the shit happening and keeping it looking good makes sense.

greg400

Banned
Yeah, I highly doubt Nintendo's next handheld will include 3D functionality. Too many drawbacks, limitations and extra goals that need to be set. Whether it be development time, increased display price or concern with younger buyers.

Bullza2o

Is Pokemon-Amie 3D though? Surely that must be.
It uses the touch screen, so not really. I don't know what goes on the top screen though.

Im actually not getting the game over this, the 3D effect in the over-world would had make everything look like awesome pop-ups and make things look touchable and real; like little models. Playing a 2D game on a 3DS makes me feel cheated. Its a big deal breaker for me, this is coming from a guy with a Pikachu in his avatar.

This is quite extreme. As a Pokemon fan I'm still getting it; the major improvements in the game far outweighs this negative. Everyone should still get it, especially those buying a 2DS lol.

Im actually not getting the game over this, the 3D effect in the over-world would had make everything look like awesome pop-ups and make things look touchable and real; like little models.

lmao no it wouldn't. I don't even like Pokémon but that's such a silly reason

Top Bottom