• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokkén Tournament DX |OT| A Game So Nice, It Has Croagunk Twice

BizzyBum

This game has some of the worst voice acting I think I ever heard. lol

Is there no way to completely shut Nia up? I turned her off in the settings but she still talks in menu's and after battles.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

Is there no way to completely shut Nia up? I turned her off in the settings but she still talks in menu's and after battles.

LOL Once you get deep into ranked she becomes a good point of vocal venting on losses :p

BiggNife

I changed the VA to Japanese because I honestly find the Japanese voice for Nia way more bearable than the English one.

IIRC I think someone in the old Wii U Pokken thread looked into it and found out the English VA was recorded in Tokyo so I guess they just hired any native English speakers they could find.

I changed the VA to Japanese because I honestly find the Japanese voice for Nia way more bearable than the English one.

IIRC I think someone in the old Wii U Pokken thread looked into it and found out the English VA was recorded in Tokyo so I guess they just hired any native English speakers they could find.

This explains so much about the Garchomp guy with his PS1 era voice over.

Yes, the voice acting is done by English speaking people in Japan. I'm not sure if they were native speakers or not, a few characters sound like English isn't really their first language, they're just proficient in it.

BizzyBum

One thing I hate about playing arcade mode or just AI in general in fighting games is I always end up resorting to just cheesing them out with a certain effective move or combo over and over again. I thought this was going to work in D league but I'm currently doing Iron league and it's still working.

For instance I'm using Mewtwo and I literally just spam his forward A beam blast over and over and usually the AI either gets hit for massive damage or blocks and takes massive chip damage. If they get close, I either spam a combo or do the jump charge A attack which for Mewtwo is like a mini spirit bomb. lol

It gets boring and it certainly doesn't make me get better at the game, probably worse even. Sure, I could try to fight legit, but usually I can't because the AI knows what I'm doing beforehand so it gets frustrating and I end up just spamming to get it over with.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
One thing I hate about playing arcade mode or just AI in general in fighting games is I always end up resorting to just cheesing them out with a certain effective move or combo over and over again. I thought this was going to work in D league but I'm currently doing Iron league and it's still working.

For instance I'm using Mewtwo and I literally just spam his forward A beam blast over and over and usually the AI either gets hit for massive damage or blocks and takes massive chip damage. If they get close, I either spam a combo or do the jump charge A attack which for Mewtwo is like a mini spirit bomb. lol

It gets boring and it certainly doesn't make me get better at the game, probably worse even. Sure, I could try to fight legit, but usually I can't because the AI knows what I'm doing beforehand so it gets frustrating and I end up just spamming to get it over with.
To be fair players are just that bad in ranked at that letter grade. AI doesnt really get too great in pokken til the upper part of B

RomanceDawn

I'm really starting to hit something of a stride.

I can go 10 matches and win maybe 6-8 now. Ever so often I will have a major losing streak but I really feel like I'm getting it.

On Wii U I just didn't get it even though I really wanted to. Same for Splatoon, I couldn't grasp what it was to be slightly competent.

Now though after a ton of trial and error and remembering the moves the game is even more fun now.

Kebiinu

Banned
What's everybody's rank? I just hit C5. I main Darkrai but my heart was with Sceptile during the Wii U, where I capped at B4 ranking.

BizzyBum

Alright, so I beat the Grand Master in Ferrum League and got my Mewtwo to SLv. 100 so I might hop online and get crapped on now.

I'm not going to bother grinding those mission panels and no way am I grinding for 100% titles and customization items as that would take forever.

Does anyone know of any special codes for those titles? Also, what Amiibos do I have to scan for those titles?

Anyone USWest or SEA reagions want to try an international connection to oceanic?
I was playing in the oceanic discord but as per usual theres always gamers who think its funny to make fun of autism so I bailed (bailed on a favourite smash stream chat because of similar reasons). I expect this crap from Counterstrike or mobas, not Nintendo fans

Trying to get around to this and it's fun but for Pokken Tournament 2 there definitely needs to be a more fleshed out single-player story mode. If you're not planning to go online and battle it seems there's nothing to really do besides rank up in the Ferrum League which is basically a simplified arcade mode. A few newbie questions for a fight I just had:

1. How do you counter a grab? There were times I went for a grab but my opponent countered me. Is there a specific button input or does simply doing any attack break up a throw attempt? Can you tech throws?
2. I tried grabbing on wake up but my opponent grabbed me first, so I assume he has the advantage every time in that situation?

I'm currently using Mewtwo, any good video guides out there?

Grab on wakeup is only useful if theyre doing either doing something really unsafe like charging a poorly spaced, poorly timed counter attack (non meaty, aka they didnt have the active frames out when you became actionable) or just sitting in shield in front of you?

If you're knocked down they can start their grab before you can and have the grab hitbox sitting on top of you so you're likely going to have to attack or jump. Even attacks with a long windup like braixens charged psy beam and golf swing will break grabs before the attack even goes off.

The fact that they just patched in online 3 on 3 battles gives me a new hope for this game. That was the mode I was most excited for and was upset it was offline only, really happy to see they're listening!

The fact that they just patched in online 3 on 3 battles gives me a new hope for this game. That was the mode I was most excited for and was upset it was offline only, really happy to see they're listening!

Great news if thats confirmed, especially training replay/playback being added.

yeah the group i'm in might start doing 3v3s tourney night now

and training recording and play back is always good

JoeM86

EU PR of the update just came

London, United Kingdom: Friday 13 October – An exciting new update is heading to Pokkén Tournament DX, including some additional content. The features will include:•Online Team Battles – Team Battles will be available to play with friends online. Pick three Pokémon each and head into battle to enjoy heated fights with other players.
•Official Groups in Group Match – Official groups from Pokkén Tournament DX will be open in the Group Match online battle mode. Coming soon after the update, there will be official Group Matches where players can battle to receive new special titles.
•Record Pokémon Movements – In Practice Mode’s Free Training, a new function to record Pokémon movements in battle will be added. You’ll be able to control the opposing Pokémon and record its movements so you can play them back when you’re training to help improve your skills.
•Enhanced Experience – Several other adjustments are in development which will help to improve gameplay.

BiggNife

Oh man, I'm so glad they added Online Team Battles. Should've been in day one.

Wonder if they'll add team battles to Event Mode too.

RomanceDawn

Yes to that record and play back feature! I can finally make Weevile do that stupid move over and over and figure out how to counter it!

Man I wish we could do something like that in Smash Bros!

I've had some really heavy work days this past week but after today I'll be looking to play people in full force. And you better watch it QisTopTier, we 'bout to make it 3/8 this time!

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
•Record Pokémon Movements – In Practice Mode's Free Training, a new function to record Pokémon movements in battle will be added. You'll be able to control the opposing Pokémon and record its movements so you can play them back when you're training to help improve your skills.
jv04eGr.gif

and yeah time to learn 3 for team battle fun :D Should be it's own ranked mode too xD

this thread seemed to have died
anyone still playing?

its funny going against people with like 300 win 80% win rate and they lose to this kind of thing. Unfortunately he didnt get spooked by the synergy burst activation so i couldnt win entirely with grab :p

czk51

I'm slowly plodding through the campaign but as posted above, it's fairly easy. I've not played many matches online but they've all been ranked. I'm maining Scizor and really enjoy him though I need to get into practice more coz my Wins are sitting at just under 30%. Had some epic online battles though, love it.

Looking forward to assembling a 3'mon team. Will consider Lucario (have dabbled) and Darkrai (way, way out of my comfort zone but good to learn).

RomanceDawn

this thread seemed to have died
anyone still playing?

its funny going against people with like 300 win 80% win rate and they lose to this kind of thing. Unfortunately he didnt get spooked by the synergy burst activation so i couldnt win entirely with grab :p

I play just about every day I don't have any crazy job lined up. I just got my 200th win in ranked. With 180 losses.

I play all the time, if anyone wants to play just PM me. Then latter we can add each other as friends.

I am looking forward to playing some of you for like 20 matches at a time just to gain some knowledge.

- -

Does anyone know how to use the record feature to practice against an opponents moves over and over?

I play just about every day I don't have any crazy job lined up. I just got my 200th win in ranked. With 180 losses.

I play all the time, if anyone wants to play just PM me. Then latter we can add each other as friends.

I am looking forward to playing some of you for like 20 matches at a time just to gain some knowledge.

- -

Does anyone know how to use the record feature to practice against an opponents moves over and over?

updates not out yet

I play nearly every day still. Loving the game. Finally trying to detach myself from Empoleon and pick up a second character. I'm leaning toward Suicine. Been having a lot of fun matches with it online. I really love the anti-zone move.

Groups not telling you when people are online and queuing is a pretty big misstep, especially when switch has no means of communicating with people. Could be sitting there waiting for a long time without a game happening because you just have to guess if anyone is on.

Groups not telling you when people are online and queuing is a pretty big misstep, especially when switch has no means of communicating with people. Could be sitting there waiting for a long time without a game happening because you just have to guess if anyone is on.

Yup, it's amazing this is still happening in any game in general.

RomanceDawn

Seriously let's complain. It's got to be an extremely easy fix and will encourage people to jump into groups more. But who do we contact and how? The team via Twitter?

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Hey guys sorry if this has been answered already.

I picked up Pokken Deluxe over the weekend to play at a friends house and the joycons were absolutely busted. There was severe input delay for the joycons which literally made the game unplayable.

The Pro controller ran flawlessly and it ruined our multiplayer session since whoever had joycons could barely play. I thought it might be due to signal interference but the Pro controller worked perfectly and we tried Mario Kart 8 Deluxe after which controlled fine too.

Anyone experience a similar issue before?

RomanceDawn

Wow Broneta that sounds really abnormal. I use the joycons in the shell exclusively for this game since it is more precise for me than the pro controller. I've never had anything like that happen at all.

Have you played with the joycons since? Single player maybe?

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Wow Broneta that sounds really abnormal. I use the joycons in the shell exclusively for this game since it is more precise for me than the pro controller. I've never had anything like that happen at all.

Have you played with the joycons since? Single player maybe?

Thanks for the quick reply.

I just tried it out and it works handheld and tabletop just fine.

Could it just have been signal interference?

Edit: Works perfectly fine docked at my house. I'm gonna chalk it up to signal interference at my friend's house.

Smasher89

Anyone has any good gameplan for Darkrai in field phase?, ive got terrible winrate with him compared to another character but believe he asserts more control on the game, and would be a better pick long term in that case. Feels like most moves are too slow unless in a advantage!

Anyone has any good gameplan for Darkrai in field phase?, ive got terrible winrate with him compared to another character but believe he asserts more control on the game, and would be a better pick long term in that case. Feels like most moves are too slow unless in a advantage!

We have the replay feature so you can search for the highest ranked Darkrai players, which seems like a good way to observe their gameplan

Darkrai's gameplan in both phases is try to setup so he can combo into nightmare mode. So first step I would say is to learn those combos.

In field phase the move that puts a bunch of hands in front of you is really good as it can block projectiles(unless the opponent has beam moves).

Another useful move I see is the one that you do a dash forward attack and leave behind a small wall and send out the biting fangs. That setups easy into nightmare mode.

All in all as was said your best bet is to actually look up videos in game as there are plenty of very good darkrais out there. You have to be patient though and slowly move in

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

Instant air jump Y to the side to set a horizontal wall for protection vs more agressive characters

I need to play more and figure some other stuff out but thats fast and effective for a starting set up

Top Bottom