• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokkén Tournament Review Thread

And grapplers are not too violent by itself it just says that grab are really too powerful (and you don't even need to play to see it, I saw a Machamp deal a 200 damage attack by simply grab the opponent, which is completely nuts)
That's a command grab that was buffed beforehand. Most grabs do about half of that or less.

But the grabs need to be strong in general because of how strong shields and counter attacks are in this game. If the grabs weren't strong then it would be safe to shield all day. The reason grabs are strong is to encourage you to try to read grabs and attack at the right moment.

Neonep

Still kinda disappointed with their selection of pokemon. No Infernape, Blastoise, Syther, Scizor, Any legendary bird, and a few others but clearly had space for 2 Mewtwos and 2 Pikachus? I don't even care about them being clones, they could have just made them alternates, don't like the idea that they took up other spots that could have went to other pokemon.

Revven

Still kinda disappointed with their selection of pokemon. No Infernape, Blastoise, Syther, Scizor, Any legendary bird, and a few others but clearly had space for 2 Mewtwos and 2 Pikachus? I don't even care about them being clones, they could have just made them alternates, don't like the idea that they took up other spots that could have went to other pokemon.

Not this argument again...

Those two characters don't take away slots, they are only additions. If they weren't going to be there we would only have 14 characters, not 16. They did not take slots from other potential Pokemon. Reusing a Pokemon's model and making them have some minor aesthetic differences to cut down on the time to make their move sets to add two more characters is better than not having them at all.

Neonep

Those two characters don't take away slots, they are only additions. If they weren't going to be there we would only have 14 characters, not 16. They did not take slots from other potential Pokemon.
That time spent making a 2nd Pikachu & a 2nd Mewtwo and how to differentiate them from the originals could have been used to make other characters. So yeah they took slots.

sam777

Those two characters don't take away slots, they are only additions. If they weren't going to be there we would only have 14 characters, not 16. They did not take slots from other potential Pokemon. Reusing a Pokemon's model and making them have some minor aesthetic differences to cut down on the time to make their move sets to add two more characters is better than not having them at all.

That time spent making a 2nd Pikachu & a 2nd Mewtwo and how to differentiate them from the originals could have been used to make other characters. So yeah they took slots.

Tbh I have to agree with Neonep here, they could have used that time creating another character that was an entirely different pokemon.

If we got Infernape, I'd be legitimately mad that we had two Fire/Fighting Pokémon and zero Bug Pokémon. :p

Revven

No, the time and resources to conceptualize and make those two characters is way less than making new models, conceptualizing a move set, getting new VA, and crafting many, many new animations for those models for two brand new (to the game) Pokemon characters. They did not take slots, the amount of work and time is significantly less for Shadow Mewtwo and Pikachu Libre than it would be for Hawlucha and some other highly requested Pokemon. At best, you would only get one new Pokemon for the amount of work/time used between S. Mewtwo and Pikachu Libre not two or three more.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
No, the time and resources to conceptualize and make those two characters is way less than making new models, conceptualizing a move set, getting new VA, and crafting many, many new animations for those models for two brand new (to the game) Pokemon characters. They did not take slots, the amount of work and time is significantly less for Shadow Mewtwo and Pikachu Libre than it would be for Hawlucha and some other highly requested Pokemon. At best, you would only get one new Pokemon for the amount of work/time used between S. Mewtwo and Pikachu Libre not two or three more.

S.mewtwo came first.

Mewtwo is the "clone"

yyr

You don't know what their budget and time constraints were, so you have no proof that this is actually true. It is entirely possible that they did not have the time/budget/plan to add two entirely new characters, but decided to toss in two palette swaps because they could. Unless we have the chance to ask the dev team, we may never find out one way or the other.

Did Smash 'ruin' it for everybody by having an insane amount of content and fighters?

I second the mentions of Tekken Unlimited and the Vs. series, especially MvC2. The home versions of Alpha/Zero 3 and Ultra SFIV also had very large rosters. Even older titles like MK Trilogy...

Agreed. Then again, what fighting game is made for single player-only folks? Multiplayer, whether it be local or online, is what gives fighting games their lasting appeal.

I agree with your statement, but there are some fighting games that are just bursting with single-player content. BlazBlue comes to mind; the recent versions have over a dozen modes--most of them supporting single players--and a really deep story mode too!

NateDrake

I agree with your statement, but there are some fighting games that are just bursting with single-player content. BlazBlue comes to mind; the recent versions have over a dozen modes--most of them supporting single players--and a really deep story mode too!

I agree with that. As I later said, Guilty Gear X on PS2 is a game I could play the single player stuff all the time, because it is so damn challenging. BlazBlue is a similar type of game in that regard.

brinstar

I second the mentions of Tekken Unlimited and the Vs. series, especially MvC2. The home versions of Alpha/Zero 3 and Ultra SFIV also had very large rosters. Even older titles like MK Trilogy...

I dunno about Tekken but those other games are only able to have such large rosters because they re-used character sprites/models and built off of older games over time.

Like the Alpha series originally started with just 13 characters or so if memory serves.

yyr

I dunno about Tekken but those other games are only able to have such large rosters because they re-used character sprites/models and built off of older games over time.

Like the Alpha series originally started with just 13 characters or so if memory serves.

True, and it makes sense to start over at some point, but a lot of entitled/jaded or just dissatisfied gamers point to a roster of 16-20 characters and say "but THAT game had 50 characters!" Bleh.

Seiniyta

The reviews don't bother me much. I expected the dumb reviews. Since those happen a lot with fighting games. Nothing new there.

I just hope this game sells enough so dlc/sequels can happen. It seems to be a good foundation for a cool new fighting game franchise that really sets itself apart from the other fighters.

Also maybe the fist accepted 3D fighter :p

sam777

After much deliberating, I have decided to get this. I hope they add a couple more characters in the future though.

Sojiro

Averaging a bit lower than I expected (was thinking around 80), but still seems solid, and I will be picking it up when it launches. I do hope the game sees some post launch support, especially adding to the roster.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I feel like the Rumble series is pretty much garbage. Theres also Channel and PokePark which are painfully mediocre.

I always thought the rumble series, while crappy, isn't really as bad as Dash. Channel is a game?!

Always fun to arrive at the point where people who haven't played the game criticize the opinion of the people who have.
I dunno, many reviewers give Mystery Dungeon games low scores yet we all know it's not deserving of that.

But reviews are reviews.

sheaaaa

I have no emotional investment in this game's success but Eurogamer's review made me want to give it a shot as neither a fighting game nor Pokemon fan. Good, persuasive stuff.

Seiniyta

Game I like is not getting stellar reviews -> dumb reviews.

Ok...

It's notorious with fighting games that reviewers have a really bad grasp at how complex/Simple the mechanics are. Content wise, bugs, graphics, sound, and what not. Sure, those are good points of critism to make. But there are very few reviewers that seem to get what a good fighting game gameplay wise is.

The best reviewers talking about the depth of a game are the pro players themselves really. And the ones that played it seemed very positive about it so I'm more inclined to trust their judgement. Especially for someone that does like to go competitive.

Totally agree, I'd be much more interested in picking up the game if it had a bigger roster. Maybe if this one is successful the sequel will double the selection.

Kysen

Even combo-heavy games like Blazblue or Guilty Gear fail to explain to players how they're supposed to function because they just assume you already know.

If tutorials would just explicitly say "HEY you can hit people in ways where you can keep hitting them for 8 seconds", then casuals wouldn't see it happen and think it was an anomaly.

This is nonsense. The latest GG has in depth tutorials about the mechanics. The challenge mode also gives you all your characters combos. Blazblue also has strategies on a character per character basis as part of the tutorial.

Top Bottom