• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokken to also feature LAN multiplayer between two Wii Us

Neoxon

The renders all kind of look oddly ceramic. Like the way fired clay looks when it has a thin layer of glaze on it. The in-game models don't look like this as much, though.

This should be good for the competitive scene! Also, wasn't there a thread about an official wired controller coming? I could have sworn there was. Looks like they're aiming for this to have a competitive scene.

EDIT: Found the thread.
Hopefully it takes off with the FGC. But with Tekken 7 on the horizon, I fear that most of the 3D fighting game fans will just wait for that.

iBlue

Amazing fucking news! Now we will have legit tournaments. Nintendo learn from the Pokemon company and namco, splatoon could have been more relevant if it had this feature.

Neoxon

Amazing fucking news! Now we will have legit tournaments. Nintendo learn from the Pokemon company and namco, splatoon could have been more relevant if it had this feature.
Splatoon technically does have LAN, but you need to be connected to the internet.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Hopefully it takes off with the FGC. But with Tekken 7 on the horizon, I fear that most of the 3D fighting game fans will just wait for that.

It's not like it will conflict though, Harada said his target are Pokemon fans who attend Worlds.

Vena

LAN is a much requested thing for competitive fighters, especially when they are unique with gameplay so they have to have fixed camera points for each player

Look who's posting.

Look at the date.

Consider sarcasm.

Also have an apple.

Neoxon

I see smashers picking this game up the rest of the G's (FGC) staying with SFV
My only fear is that the game will come out too late for EVO 2016. And with the NX Platform on the way, the hype behind that may leave the game in the dust. At least Smash 4 was out long enough to gain enough traction to survive the wave of NX hype. Hell, it's entirely possible that Smash 4 could see a port on the NX Platform. But unless that also happens for Pokkén, I fear for its future. Which is a shame, because Namco's hitting a lot of the right notes to ensure that the game is ready for competitive play (USB wired controller, actual LAN support, etc.).

Hatchtag

Banned
Ehh...that kinda hurts my interest in the game. I'm not buying a second Wii U just to play Pokken locally in 60 FPS.

LAN?

Nintendo proving to still be in the 17th century.

This was actually necessary for this game to get a competitive scene. Each person needs their own camera perspective, and restricting what controllers the player could use to do so would've killed it on the spot, even if it didn't get an FPS Drop from it.

Kitoro

Am I missing something? Is this not a relatively traditional Tekken-esque fighter? Why would playing with 2 players lower the frame rate when facing a CPU would not?

Neoxon

To be it'll probably be dead in the water as a competitive fighting game

If anything people will stop playing it when Tekken 7 comes out
That's another fear that I have. Though if Tekken 7 drops late 2016, Pokkén will at least have some time in the sun.

Am I missing something? Is this not a relatively traditional Tekken-esque fighter? Why would playing with 2 players lower the frame rate when facing a CPU would not?
Because the camera angle requires two separate screens. Local multiplayer requires Off-TV Play for Player 1 on the GamePad, which cuts the framerate in half.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
LAN is a much requested thing for competitive fighters, especially when they are unique with gameplay so they have to have fixed camera points for each player

Look guys, Joe and his best Neoxon's impression! /j

Zalman

They need to find a better solution for local multiplayer if they want this game to continue after the Wii U.

JoeM86

Pokkén snaps between 2D and 3D at various points. Splitscreen wouldn't work well for it without it being janky as hell so they stick with a behind the Pokémon view and then snaps to 2D. As such, each player needs their own screen so the Wii U GamePad is required for one of the players

Neoxon

They need to find a better solution for local multiplayer if they want this game to continue after the Wii U.
The way the game is structured in terms of the camera angles, it's not possible. Maybe if the sequel isn't that big of a graphical leap, they can do local multiplayer via Off-TV Play without a framerate drop.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes

I'm guessing each player gets their own camera that tracks their fighter, so the game needs to render twice. Once for the TV, once for the gamepad.

Neoxon

Look it's GamerJM with his best Neoxon impression!
To be fair, he's not exactly wrong. And indirectly shitting on me doesn't change that. Pokkén Tournament is probably gonna be too late for EVO 2016 in the West, a problem that's exacerbated by the region lock on the Wii U (since Japan's getting the game in March, if I recall correctly). While sure, Pokkén will probably see some tournament play after EVO, Tekken 7 can very well steal Pokkén Tournament's thunder.

Hatchtag

Banned

lan support that's crossplay with the nx version, since many people will have both systems and double dip anyways. problem solved.

Neiteio

Holy crap, this game is shaping up NICELY

The playable and support roster is amazing at this point and LAN is a boon for the competitive community.

Clefargle

To be fair, he's not exactly wrong. And indirectly shitting on me doesn't change that. Pokkén Tournament is probably gonna be too late for EVO 2016 in the West, a problem that's exacerbated by the region lock on the Wii U (since Japan's getting the game in March, if I recall correctly). While sure, Pokkén will probably see some tournament play after EVO, Tekken 7 can very well steal Pokkén Tournament's thunder.

Not shitting on you, just being snide/silly. None of us have a crystal ball and I'm betting that there isn't as huge of an overlap in the people that will go to tourneys for this game and active Tekken players. I expect this title to bring in Pokemon fans that previously didn't play fightan gaems. But I have no data to back that up, just speculation. Hopefully they can all coexist ant have lots of new players for both.

Neoxon

Not shitting on you, just being snide/silly. None of us have a crystal ball and I'm betting that there isn't as huge of an overlap in the people that will go to tourneys for this game and active Tekken players. I expect this title to bring in Pokemon fans that previously didn't play fightan gaems. But I have no data to back that up, just speculation. Hopefully they can all coexist ant have lots of new players for both.
That's what I'm hoping for as well. But after P4AU fell off the wayside in the wake of Guilty Gear Xrd & soon BlazBlue: Central Fiction, I don't have many reasons to be hopeful. Not to mention the arrival of the NX Platform. Of course, I'd love to be proven wrong. And in the case of P4AU, it had just enough hype juice left in it at the time to make it to EVO 2015 (& it was out at the right time).

Jamie OD

48.jpg

Why is Braixen flipping me the bird?

Clefargle

That's what I'm hoping for as well. But after P4AU fell off the wayside in the wake of Guilty Gear Xrd & soon BlazBlue: Central Fiction, I don't have many reasons to be hopeful. Not to mention the arrival of the NX Platform. Of course, I'd love to be proven wrong. And in the case of P4AU, it had just enough hype juice left in it at the time to make it to EVO 2015 (& it was out at the right time).

Yeah, at least Pokken will have an arcade prescience. That can't hurt its chances, in Japan at least.

Diffense

At the very least it will feature in the Pokemon World Championships. I think TPC/Namco/Bandai hope for Pokken to have a competitive presence. They had an invitational at the last PWC and several high-level fighting game competitors were present.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own

I believe pokken will be out in America just in time for EVO and even if it didn't, Namco/Pokemon company/Nintendo will make sure it does.

Neoxon

I believe pokken will be out in America just in time for EVO and even if it didn't, Namco/Pokemon company/Nintendo will make sure it does.
They're announcing this year's EVO line-up on the 26th. And unless we either get a release date for the US soon or Nintendo moneyhats at a later date, I'm not too sure about the game's chances for EVO 2016.

GamerJM

Banned
Look it's GamerJM with his best Neoxon impression!

Naw, if I were doing that then I'd be responding to every single person in this topic who posts something I disagree with and repeat essentially the same information on loop

/s

for the record I don't think you're a bad poster neo

foxuzamaki

They're announcing this year's EVO line-up on the 26th. And unless we either get a release date for the US soon or Nintendo moneyhats at a later date, I'm not too sure about the game's chances for EVO 2016.

it already more than like is already moneyhatted in.

Neoxon

it already more than like is already moneyhatted in.
It still comes down to when it hits the States & if the FGC will have enough time to learn the game. And even then, what of Smash 4 (the game that, to my knowledge, Nintendo's currently pushing in the FGC)?

But will the single-player mode(s) be worthwhile? That is the question on which my purchase balances.

30FPS multiplayer is disappointing, but if it's rock solid it may be alright.

foxuzamaki

It still comes down to when it hits the States & if the FGC will have enough time to learn the game. And even then, what of Smash 4 (the game that, to my knowledge, Nintendo's currently pushing in the FGC)?

I think Nintendo is slightly bigger than other small companies, I'm sure they can push more than one game lol

Top Bottom