• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokken's LAN mode detailed, WLAN O.K., crossover cable needed for tourney play

Source

EDIT: EVERYTHING IS UNLOCKED thanks SkyfireBlaze for finding this out!

So there are three ways to do LAN mode:

1) Using normal Ethernet cables, connect two Wii U's to the internet via LAN adapters. Then, press L+R+Down on the title screen.

2) Connect two Wii U's to the internet via WiFi on the same wireless router. Then, press L+R+Down on the title screen.

3) Connect two Wii U's together directly using a crossover Ethernet cable. Then, follow some instructions that look more complicated than they actually are. Finally, press L+R+Down on the title screen.

Option 2 is great for casual matches in houses with good WLAN (though 1 or 3 is better when possible of course). Option 3 is what will be used for tourney play so TOs should make sure they have crossover cables available in addition to the LAN adapters.

I was wondering where the mode was on the main menu. Interesting that it requires a specific button combination.

Neoxon

At least Direct LAN is an option in addition to the one-router solution used by Splatoon. I'm glad that Pokkén offers a bunch of ways to do Local LAN. Though direct Wii U-to-Wii U LAN will likely be used at tournaments.

I also didn't think that the Wii U was capable of WLAN. You learn something new everyday.

I hope Nintendo will finally make built-in Ethernet port for their next console. Omitting Ethernet for Wi-Fi in Wii (instead of making it an option via dongles and different console revisions) was a pretty forward-looking decision in 2006, but the time has shown us that Ethernet is still in use and will be for a very long time.

Dereck

I hope Nintendo will finally make built-in Ethernet port for their next console. Omitting Ethernet for Wi-Fi in Wii (instead of making it an option via dongles and different console revisions) was a pretty forward-looking decision in 2006, but the time has shown us that Ethernet is still in use and will be for a very long time.
Hopefully

JoeM86

Source
serebii.net also has it up but made a minor error in the # of cables needed for Option A.

So there are three ways to do LAN mode:

1) Using normal Ethernet cables, connect two Wii U's to the internet via LAN adapters. Then, press L+R+Down on the title screen. (Disregard what serebii originally had up: You need *two* cables to do this and the official site reflects this)

2) Connect two Wii U's to the internet via WiFi on the same wireless router. Then, press L+R+Down on the title screen.

3) Connect two Wii U's together directly using a crossover Ethernet cable. Then, follow some instructions that look more complicated than they actually are. Finally, press L+R+Down on the title screen.

Option 2 is great for casual matches in houses with good WLAN (though 1 or 3 is better when possible of course). Option 3 is what will be used for tourney play so TOs should make sure they have crossover cables available in addition to the LAN adapters.

I was wondering where the mode was on the main menu. Interesting that it requires a specific button combination.

Whoops. Fixed.

That's what happens with 2 hours sleep.

Please Pokken Ultimate NX with Wii U cross play
I think it's possible we'll get an NX sequel, but not a port.

The reason I think it's possible we'll get a sequel is because this game has an ad in some theaters before Zootopia. So I think there's an intention to make this into an actual series, because these guys don't advertise games they just want to die quietly.

WadeitOut

I think it's possible we'll get an NX sequel, but not a port.

The reason I think it's possible we'll get a sequel is because this game has an ad in some theaters before Zootopia. So I think there's an intention to make this into an actual series, because these guys don't advertise games they just want to die quietly.

I'd be willing to bet an NX port is already being made. They are putting this at all of the major fighting expos this year to be dead this Holiday.

I'd be willing to bet an NX port is already being made. They are putting this at all of the major fighting expos this year to be dead this Holiday.
Eh, I honestly think they'll just go straight to the sequel. We'll see I guess.

P.S. Sorry about making another damn Pokken thread but in this case I just wanted to make sure that people knew that A) at a friend's house they could just use WLAN if it's stable and B) crossover cables will be needed for local tourneys so make sure your TO knows that if you're going to that type of thing soon.

Hmm is something supposed to happen pressing L+R+Down even when there is no second Wii U on the network? I just tried it out of curiosity on my patch 1.1 copy and nothing happened when I pressed the button combination on my Pro Controller.

JoeM86

Hmm is something supposed to happen pressing L+R+Down even when there is no second Wii U on the network? I just tried it out of curiosity on my patch 1.1 copy and nothing happened when I pressed the button combination on my Pro Controller.

I think you have to be holding them when you press Start to exit the title screen.

I think you have to be holding them when you press Start to exit the title screen.

Ah yeah that worked! :D Good to know for when my friends eventually will get their own Wii U's. Interesting fact which probably makes sense for tournament play, LAN mode automatically unlocks everything unlockable for aslong as you're in LAN mode.

Oh and Joe do you know who voiced the system voice? It sounds somewhat like Donna Burke to me o.o

Neoxon

Ah yeah that worked! :D Good to know for when my friends eventually will get their own Wii U's. Interesting fact which probably makes sense for tournament play, LAN mode automatically unlocks everything unlockable for aslong as you're in LAN mode.

Oh and Joe do you know who voiced the system voice? It sounds somewhat like Donna Burke to me o.o
That's actually insanely awesome! Great news for tournaments!

wait really, wow that's actually pretty cool

Very convenient and nice for tournaments, for sure. I was wondering how that was all going to work since Supports need to be unlocked as well as Mewtwo. Good on Bamco for thinking ahead.

That's actually insanely awesome! Great news for tournaments!

Yeah that was great thinking by the developers, even Shadow Mewtwo gets unlocked :)

Awesome! That probably also explains why this is a "hidden" mode instead of being accessible from the main menu. lol

JoeM86

I should get my game tomorrow so I'll see then :)

Oh wow, really? That's surprising and unexpected even. You'd think that you would still need to scan the Shadow Mewtwo amiibo card. Huh. Very nice.

Well as far as I know you can unlock Shadow Mewtwo regardless, the Amiibo card is mainly just for quickly unlocking him temporarily.

I should get my game tomorrow so I'll see then :)

Okay alright! :D The system voice sounds almost like Raising Heart from the Nanoha franchise to me and Raising Heart was also voiced by Donna Burke so as a fan of the anime and manga I'm almost 100% sure it's her :p

Top Bottom