• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Police dog dies after being left in hot patrol truck

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Rip to the doggy :(.

Cops have been on a roll lately. Fuck that asshole for leaving the dog in the car.

I'm afraid to leave my dog in the car by himself, even if I leave the ac running.

I've left my dog alone in the car once before to run in for her meds at the vet. I parked so I could watch her out the window and she had enough car window open to stick her entire head out of the car. Still though, like the article said, heat can ramp up in a matter of minutes or (as unlikely as it seems) your car could die or AC could cut out and that's all it would take.

I don't know, it really bothered me just leaving her out there 20ft away with me watching. Of course she didn't give a fuck, she was bouncing from window to window and having a good time. But I doubt I'll ever do that again since it made me a nervous wreck despite being cautious.

googly

How is someone who lets this happen fit to be a Police Officer?

And he's going to be placed with another dog? ridiculous

As a dog owner myself (currently out walking mine just now) this is just horrible.

First instinct is to shout BASTARD at the cop and then hope he gets jail time but when you step back and take a moment to reflect its just a tragic accident and I bet the cop is absolutely devastated.

Some sort of of community service at the dog shelter or something like that, is what I would do or get him to go out and teach the kids in schools.

Poor dog was probably wondering why he wasnt coming back to get him.

I get that people make mistakes. But this is a pretty big mistake. People forget their babies in the back seat and they die because their minds are too preocupied on other things. It doesnt obsolve them of punishment. You have a responsibility to these animals and a fucking "oh I forgot, it was a mistake" just doesnt cut it dont give a fuck how busy you are or how much shit is going on in your life.

People make mistakes but when your mistakes cost something their life then tough shit. I get that it could happen to me and that would be devastating. But I would be disgusted with myself and not be looking for any sympathy.

Edit: not to say he is looking for sypathy. I just aint giving it.

Saganator

Poor dog :(

Considering if you harmed a police dog in anyway it's considered assaulting a police officer, there should some consequences for being negligent, and not just the pain of knowing he killed his partner, but criminal charges. Not saying he needs to be thrown in jail for years, but something should be on his record and serve some time.

While this is obviously something he should see punishment for, it does sound like a mistake. There was a Radiolab or This American Life story about parents who forgot their children are in the car and the same thing happens. It's incredibly upsetting but from the article it seems like he didn't leave him in there intentionally. I don't know man, he should face some repercussions but from the quote where he states he only realized what happened when he saw that Endy wasn't in his kennel... sounds like he made a mistake.

Uh, yeah, of course it was a mistake. As opposed to what? Doing it intentionally? I don't think I've ever heard of a cop killing their K9 so that's not even a realistic alternative.

As you said though he should be punished. We're punished for mistakes, even when they're accidents.

JJH

Was it a black lab?

Looks like a German Shepherd.

endy-full-shot.jpg

shandy706

You shoot a police dog and they throw the book at you.

This should technically be a murder based on Law Enforcement views on their dogs.

Top Bottom