• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 |OT4|: Your job is not to worry about 47% of these posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amir0x

Banned
72gug.png

Post Gods:

Style2012.png

(Edited To AdBlock off, sry mods)

jennifer-lawrence.gif

Forever

Banned
The thread almost universally agreed on "PoliGAF 2012 |OT4| Your job is not to worry about 47% of these posts" ...

Amir0x

Banned
Yikes, forgot to turn that off today. I make more gaffes than Romney does during every time he has ever spoken off the cuff on camera!

Amir0x

Banned
What the heck, with so many clever OT titles, you use this crap???

The other thread was 19998, so I'm sure any mod can edit something funnier or more to the point... I was just rushing to get it up before we hit 20000

you guys are your titles *yawn*

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Picks a crummy title, then forgets to hide the fact that he uses adblock on gaf. Yikes, that's a bigger train wreck than Obama on Wednesday.

Listened to Hannity again this afternoon. He mostly avoided the jobs report (never called it fake or anything) and focused on Libya. Very strange.

Listened to Hannity again this afternoon. He mostly avoided the jobs report (never called it fake or anything) and focused on Libya. Very strange.

They're going to try hammering Obama/Biden on Libya for the foreign policy section of the debate.

Hope the O-man has his response ready.

Loudninja

Well lets start this off

Romney SuperPac Donation: Fairfax Financial Subsidiary OdysseyRe, A Canadian-Owned Company, Gives $1 Million
WASHINGTON - A Canadian-owned company is raising eyebrows south of the border after federal election filings revealed it recently contributed $1 million to Mitt Romney's political action committee, a donation that has set off alarm bells amid the ever-murky waters of American campaign law.

OdysseyRe is a subsidiary of Toronto-based insurance giant Fairfax Financial Holdings (TSX:FFH). The company, headed by Indian-born CEO Prem Watsa, had total assets of $31.7 billion at the end of 2010, and employs more than 8,000 people worldwide.

The U.S. Supreme Court's controversial Citizens United ruling allows American corporations to make contributions to so-called SuperPACs, while banning foreign-owned companies from doing so. But there remains confusion about whether the 2010 ruling also applies to foreign-owned U.S. subsidiaries.

Fairfax says it doesn't, and that it's broken no laws. The decision to donate the money in August to Romney's Restore Our Future SuperPAC, a company official added Friday, was made by a sub-committee of the company's board of directors comprised entirely of U.S. citizens.

"We had no role; the U.S. company is in fact our largest company, and they had business reasons for doing it, but we played no role at all," Paul Rivett, Fairfax's vice-president of operations, said from Toronto.

Peter Lovell, counsel general for OdysseyRe, said "neither our parent company nor any other foreign nationals were part of the decision-making process to contribute to the SuperPAC."

The subsidiary chose to donate to Romney because, as an international reinsurer located in the United States, it operates under "one of the highest corporate tax rates in its industry," Lovell added.

"Gov. Romney has proposed meaningful corporate tax reform that would help to level the playing field; consequently, a victory by Gov. Romney in November would be beneficial to OdysseyRe."

Nonetheless, officials at Campaign Legal Center — a non-profit, non-partisan campaign finance watchdog — have said OdysseyRe's donation "raises some legal red flags."

And a Democratic
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2012/10/05/odysseyre-1-million-romney-superpac-donation_n_1943632.html

Amir0x

Banned
Picks a crummy title, then forgets to hide the fact that he uses adblock on gaf. Yikes, that's a bigger train wreck than Obama on Wednesday.

Well what thread title would you use? You know, it's not eternal. I just know that things get unstable when threads go past 20,000, and I was hoping to make sure the mods didn't have to deal with that. I didn't know there was some great title debate, and I certainly don't give a shit about titles because we have POLITICS to talk about, but I'd love to hear your suggestion.

Seriously though as to the hand wringing about the title: Must be Asperger's in the air tonight, seriously grade school stuff :p

ZeroRay

I promise to contribute to this thread to the best of my abilities.

Also, the parallels between Amir0x and a disgraced politician are growing by the day.

Amir0x

Banned
I promise to contribute to this thread to the best of my abilities.

Also, the parallels between Amir0x and a disgraced politician is growing by the day.

It's true, the silly season in politics is definitely a parallel to people hunkering down and refusing to talk about politics because a title isn't clever enough. Seems so

Forever said:
I don't think I've ever seen that many people in PoliGAF agree on one thing. It's clearly the best title.

I didn't even see the discussion! The thread is 20,000 posts long and near the end someone said "What title would we use?" so I assumed there wasn't even discussion on it. I just didn't want us to hit 20,000.

Now are we going to derail the thread forever? Just get a mod to change it to the title of your choice and let's move on from Asperger's Friday.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
I feel like this OT is legitimate enough to be shut down now.

Averon

Holycrap. Is anyone else watching FoxNews right now? They were going full bore on Obama needs a telepompter meme.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Seriously though as to the hand wringing about the title: Must be Asperger's in the air tonight, seriously grade school stuff :p

It's a horrible title, so yeah, I hope it's changed. Also, if you could remove your shitty quote from the OP, that would be helpful too. It wasn't even that clever.

There will be plenty of time to talk politics after we fix that train wreck of an OP you put together.

I'm just needling you now, don't take me seriously. But yeah, it's a shitty title :p

Amir0x

Banned
So that's twice Amir0x has used a serious mental disorder in a joking manner.

I work with people of disabilities at the Tobyhann Army Depot; we have several employees who have Asperger's and I work compassionately with them all the time. It is worth noting though that one of the key traits is that often they will get stuck on an idea or an argument and refuse to let it drop, until it changes their entire mood. Particularly SMALL things that absolutely have no importance whatsoever.

I think that is a suitable comparison to what happened over a title that I didn't even see get chosen :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom