• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT6| Made this thread during Harvey because the ratings would be higher

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Is she telling this to her own constituents?

um...read the room, Dianne!

edit: holy hell, she's 84 years old and is planing to run for re-election next year?!

The thing is people can be super sharp into their 80s, but if they start declining, it can be incredibly fast. Anything can result in complications, even a basic cold.

Who's in line to primary Feinstein?

Please tell me anyone but Gavin Newsom

Newsom is running for governor.

Edit: beaten.

There are a lot of people that could make a run at her, but I'm not sure if they will. Maybe Loretta Sanchez, who just ran for Boxer's seat against Kamala Harris (aka Dabbing Girl from the post above mine). There have been some whispers about Eric Garcetti (Mayor of LA) as well.

Blader

Who's in line to primary Feinstein?

Please tell me anyone but Gavin Newsom

I think Garcetii and Schiff are the other high-profile California Dems who could run, but Garcetti is clearly looking at running for president and Schiff probably wants to stay on the House Intelligence Committee until the investigation i done.

About 3 weeks after Trump bungled the response to a domestic terrorist attack.

Just a few days after he admits to using an impending natural disaster as a platform to soak up attention.

How does a Californian Dem fuck up by invoking the "give him a chance" nonsense at this stage? I would expect something like this from Manchin.

jtb

Banned
If Garcetti actually wants to run for president, which seems like insanity to me, he should run for Senate.

I think Garcetii and Schiff are the other high-profile California Dems who could run, but Garcetti is clearly looking at running for president and Schiff probably wants to stay on the House Intelligence Committee until the investigation i done.
Don't know why Garcetti thinks he can jump from Mayor to President. I know LA is bigger than a lot of states, but I really do feel you should be Senator or Governor before considering it. Trump getting elected from nothing doesn't lower that standard for me.

UPDATE: Trump's companies have pimped the following properties and services on Twitter during Hurricane Harvey. Note, all of these come through trumps_feed, so he at least has to scroll through them:

1. Trump Tower, Punta del Este in Uruguay

Delighted to see the #AugustProgress on Trump Tower Punta del Este! Every unit is designed to deliver a unique lifestyle experience #Uruguay

(with promo video)

2. Trump golf course in Los Angeles

On the bluffs of the Palos Verdes Peninsula, @TrumpGolfLA offers 180 degrees of stunning coastline and ocean views 🌊

3. Trump Banquet services in Miami (seems tweet has been deleted)

4 "Getting to know the groundskeepers" video on Trump's golf courses

You've heard of our iconic @TrumpGolf courses – but do you know the people behind the greens? #NeverSettle

5. 9th annual Wine and Beer festival on Trump property in Los Angeles.

Thank you to everyone who participated in the 9th Annual Wine and Beer Festival! We cannot wait to see you all again next year for the 10th!

*insert picture of pretty girls sitting on the hood of a really expensive car*

6. Helpful reminder that there's still time to hit the Trump golf courses on Labor Day.

The unofficial last weekend of summer is nearly here! But don't fret: There's still time to hit the course #LaborDay

7. Trump SoHo in Manhattan, New York City.

Adding distinction to the skyline, @TrumpSoHo brings a new perspective to Manhattan from its 391 guest rooms

8. 1st Annual Golf Fashion Weekend at Trump Doral.

We're pleased to host the 1st annual Golf Fashion Weekend @TrumpDoral! Reserve your spot for this unique experience

9. Weddings at Trump National Doral, with a plug for Dolce Photography.

Picture-perfect backdrop for your big day? ✔️Check off the rest of your list:

*insert picture of wedding here*

Given Trump's overbilling taxpayers for his stays at Mar-a-Lago, Trump Tower, Bedminster, etc. there needs to be a campaign demanding for Trump's companies to donate to Hurricane Harvey disaster relief. Unfortunately, my efforts are pretty much useless so far.

So... when is Bannon Da Barbarian going to unleash his F#&@#*% Machine on the malignant administration members? Could it be that nobody but his nazi followers care who precisely is destroying the country?

So... when is Bannon Da Barbarian going to unleash his F#&@#*% Machine on the malignant administration members? Could it be that nobody but his nazi followers care who precisely is destroying the country?

Him and Gorka being all like "WE'LL COME BACK EVEN MORE POWERFUL" was the most ridiculous shit. From being inside the White House to going back to running your blog is a giant demotion, regardless of what these asshats are talking about.

chadskin

But even mass pardons of all suspects in the Russia case would not close the door to potential prosecutions.

While presidential pardons can halt the federal case, local prosecutors could then pursue any Americans suspected of aiding Russia’s election meddling. In fact, legal experts say presidential pardons could make that prospect more likely.

According to a new MSNBC legal analysis, federal pardons could open the door to local criminal investigations in several states.
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/po...ons-might-not-end-russia-prosecutions-n797266

EDIT: Speak of the devil haha

Having read the article, I'm not sure how convinced I am of state prosecutions being a viable alternative. The political fallout associated with that would be immense, not to mention the legal/operational issues. And as the article notes, Trump could just delay the issuance of pardons until it would trigger double jeopardy rules. That said, it is incredibly uncharted territory and states would have ways they could absorb much of Mueller's evidence/work. I do think this will be what the debate is in 2-3 years though; Trump's alternative is to take a sure loss (federal prosecution) over a much more questionable potential loss (state prosecution). It doesn't really change the calculus of whether he would pardon or not.

------

I'm honestly having a hard time coming up with reasons why Trump (re: Mueller) wouldn't simply double pardon everyone if things get too serious (once for any crimes in question and again for any crimes related to refusal to testify once the first pardon was issued). I don't see Republicans giving a shit about it aside from hemming and hawing, if anything, I expect it would probably cost them more votes from Trump's base to entertain impeachment as opposed to Democrat's gaining votes.

Trump is obviously just going to spin the investigation and its findings as fake news, Mueller's a Clinton lackey/stooge, blah blah blah. Truth is dead so that just becomes immediately accepted by his hyper-polarized base and seen as proof that the 'establishment' is out to get Trump. Even in the worst case scenario for him where Trump is forced to resign, Pence is just gonna pull a Ford to avoid distractions.

Obviously the electoral consequences of this would be titanic, but I don't see Trump or his cronies ever getting any kind of legal comeuppance.

studyguy

Quinn poll is.......... something.
unknown.png

THE KIDS LOVE PAUL RYAN

unknown.png

MINORITIES THINK GOP MOVED TOO FAR LEFT SOMEHOW

unknown.png

https://poll.qu.edu/images/polling/us/us08242017_Ua27nbp.pdf/

studyguy

Once you cut down the sample size that much, the MOE becomes greater, so it's sort of hard to get the sense of what 18-29 year olds want unless you actively seek out a huge 18-29 sample.

Sure, also youth undecided is double that of the other demos to boot.
tumblr_mtsyxjt4651qg2nqto2_250.gif

Oriel

Oh wow, what a fucking car crash with Gorka on Channel 4 News right now. Christ!

Edit:
Guru-Murphy: "What do you make of Nazis marching in Charlottsville?"

Gorka: "Keep spinning your left wing bias."

studyguy

The Latest: GOP eyeing $1B disaster funds cut to help wall

The pending reduction to the Federal Emergency Management Agency’s disaster relief account is part of a spending bill that the House is scheduled to consider next week when Congress returns from its August recess. The $876 million cut, part of the 1,305-page measure’s homeland security section, pays for roughly half the cost of Trump’s down payment on a U.S.-Mexico border wall.

It seems sure that GOP leaders will move to reverse the disaster aid cut next week. The optics are politically bad and there’s only $2.3 billion remaining in disaster coffers
Yeah no shit the optics sound bad

EDIT: Speak of the devil haha

Having read the article, I'm not sure how convinced I am of state prosecutions being a viable alternative. The political fallout associated with that would be immense, not to mention the legal/operational issues. And as the article notes, Trump could just delay the issuance of pardons until it would trigger double jeopardy rules. That said, it is incredibly uncharted territory and states would have ways they could absorb much of Mueller's evidence/work. I do think this will be what the debate is in 2-3 years though; Trump's alternative is to take a sure loss (federal prosecution) over a much more questionable potential loss (state prosecution). It doesn't really change the calculus of whether he would pardon or not.

------

I'm honestly having a hard time coming up with reasons why Trump (re: Mueller) wouldn't simply double pardon everyone if things get too serious (once for any crimes in question and again for any crimes related to refusal to testify once the first pardon was issued). I don't see Republicans giving a shit about it aside from hemming and hawing, if anything, I expect it would probably cost them more votes from Trump's base to entertain impeachment as opposed to Democrat's gaining votes.

Trump is obviously just going to spin the investigation and its findings as fake news, Mueller's a Clinton lackey/stooge, blah blah blah. Truth is dead so that just becomes immediately accepted by his hyper-polarized base and seen as proof that the 'establishment' is out to get Trump. Even in the worst case scenario for him where Trump is forced to resign, Pence is just gonna pull a Ford to avoid distractions.

Obviously the electoral consequences of this would be titanic, but I don't see Trump or his cronies ever getting any kind of legal comeuppance.

This is basically condemning anyone pardoned to exile from blue states, notably New England where most of them like to vacation and shit. If they set foot in these places, they could be arrested and charged with no hope of a pardon.

Especially Trump himself. He'd have to abandon Trump Tower because any NY AG would basically guarantee elected office for life if they sent the NYPD in to drag Trump out. You could leak it like a hour before and there'd be crowds cheering the perp walk.

I think as dumb as he is, he can understand this if it's explained to him, so I'm expecting a lack of pardons on this. Their best bet is to find their Ollie North and get them to take one for the team. That's my biggest fear with this stuff.

Edit:Didn't see your edit lol.

I don't think it's cut and dry, but I find it unlikely that some quick pardons could keep a state like NY from jamming Trump and Co forever if they want. If not Russia, then it'll be constant financial audits and shit like that. Again, in a place like NY, giving Trump shit is probably pretty popular.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Top 2 primary.

Oh, so technically someone could still run against Feinstein in the Jungle Primary?

She is 84, she should honestly consider retiring anyway. There is no political advantage for her to stay in office.

Her seat is D+ a billion right?

jtb

Banned
A jungle primary doesn't preclude a Democratic primary challenger, does it?

No GOP candidate in 2016. No reason why there shouldn't be one in 2018 either (that earns fewer votes than a D primary)

Oh, so technically someone could still run against Feinstein in the Jungle Primary?

She is 84, she should honestly consider retiring anyway. There is no political advantage for her to stay in office.

Her seat is D+ a billion right?

CA Senate, so yeah. Kamala's race didn't even have a republican in the general.

This is a really poor time to push for tax reform. Houston is still underwater and he's screaming at a podium about how burdened businesses are with taxes. The optics are... not great.

Doesn't he have an actual job to do?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
https://www.predictit.org/Market/3633/Who-will-win-the-2020-Democratic-presidential-nomination

PredictIt just launched its nominee markets.

Have fun.

I'm gonna put some money on Klobuchar.

"Hey everyone, want to lose some money? Have I got a deal for you!"

*Elizabeth Warren for Democratic Nominee*

This is a really poor time to push for tax reform. Houston is still underwater and he's screaming at a podium about how burdened businesses are with taxes. The optics are... not great.

Doesn't he have an actual job to do?

Not only this, but he's kind of pushing a flat tax, which always ends up raising taxes on lower- and middle-income voters.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
About 3 weeks after Trump bungled the response to a domestic terrorist attack.

Just a few days after he admits to using an impending natural disaster as a platform to soak up attention.

How does a Californian Dem fuck up by invoking the "give him a chance" nonsense at this stage? I would expect something like this from Manchin.

I literally thought she meant "he's only been doing this for eight months and look how hard he's failing, be patient he'll be gone soon."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom