• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT6| Made this thread during Harvey because the ratings would be higher

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, he's made so many threats that he's basically North Korea lite. He knows the media gives him attention so he makes these vague threats and promises to keep his name in CNNs graphics.

Kusagari

What is the one thing, Donald

giphy.gif

Wait and see.

kirblar

It's less of a complaint about options and more of a complaint about the allocation of VC funding. Also the deodorant companies don't all market themselves with gauzy platitudes about how they're changing the world.
Those platitudes ain't just a VC/SV thing tho, they're all over.

Zolo

Honestly, he's made so many threats that he's basically North Korea lite. He knows the media gives him attention so he makes these vague threats and promises to keep his name in CNNs graphics.

Yeah. At this point, I'm taking his threats about as seriously as NK.

Kusagari

I'd love to get transcripts of when he has meetings on NK with Mattis and other generals.

Probably keeps asking why they can't just use nukes already.

Ecotic

Trump just gets off on knowing the world waits for him to see if a major war will break out. It feeds his self-importance.

I'd love to get transcripts of when he has meetings on NK with Mattis and other generals.

Probably keeps asking why they can't just use nukes already.

"How much will my approval ratings go up?"
"How much will the media talk about me?"
"How can i make money off the war?"
"Where is North Korea by the way?"
"Whats rocket mans name again?"

Is there any repercussions that could come from our allies if we invade NK or Iran unprovoked or are they pretty much powerless when it comes to our military actions? Or rather, do they have any leverage over us to stay sane?

Trump just threatened North Korea with war again...
Oh well.
6hJgUd1.png

Remember how Trump voters argued that they are not voting for Hillary because she is a "hawk" and would lead us to war?

Something tells me Tillerson et al are making inroads with the direct communications with NK more so than Tillerson has led us to believe and it's what Trump is alluding to and disparaging because it probably involves a lot on our part a "bad deal" as Orange shit face would say so he's trying his best to undermine a real posibility of a deal because he can't stand that it's not him making it.

Zolo

Something tells me Tillerson et al are making inroads with the direct communications with NK more so than Tillerson has led us to believe and it's what Trump is alluding to and disparaging because it probably involves a lot on our part a "bad deal" as Orange shit face would say so he's trying his best to undermine a real posibility of a deal because he can't stand that it's not him making it.

Anything his administration does, he can take credit for, so it's not that.

Anything his administration does, he can take credit for, so it's not that.

He doesn't like "show boaters", Tillerson admited they are in contact with NK and that was probably the first time Trump found out about it too because no one told him since he's under the impression that people around him are working on military options for him not diplomatic ones. He can't stand being upstaged.

Shaun King‏Verified account
@ShaunKing
Follow
More
BREAKING: @NFL Players on 2 different teams have told me the teams are doing as Trump asked and creating policies to require them to stand.

Shaun King‏Verified account @ShaunKing 2h2 hours ago
More
Replying to @ShaunKing @NFL
. @DonteStallworth & I both have spoken directly w/ @NFL players who were told the the team now REQUIRES they stand for the anthem.
This.is.wrong

Say it was, and Dak Prescott and Ezekial Elliott take a knee. What the fuck is Jones gonna do?

NFL will probably just fine them.

I think the smarter play here would have been for the NFL to acknowledge racism and police brutality, pledge money to public defenders in each state who are defending victims of police brutality, then ask the players to raise their fist during the anthem instead of taking a knee, that way the conservatives stop pretending like its disrespectful to anyone.

The people furthest to the right would grind their teeth to dust over the donations, but then after their two week protest is over they'd go back to watching football again.

Maybe the dumbest part of the BOTH SIDEZ-ing over Weinstein is that Dems had a donor who turned out to be a serial harasser, Republicans took their pussygrabbing donor and put him into the Oval Office.

Like come the fuck on.

Zolo

NFL will probably just fine them.

I think the smarter play here would have been for the NFL to acknowledge racism and police brutality, pledge money to public defenders in each state who are defending victims of police brutality, then ask the players to raise their fist during the anthem instead of taking a knee, that way the conservatives stop pretending like its disrespectful to anyone.

The people furthest to the right would grind their teeth to dust over the donations, but then after their two week protest is over they'd go back to watching football again.

This is what I was thinking. If they require standing, just use the ol' raising fist if you feel you have to stand.

The NBA already has a league wide policy requiring players to stand (and Adam Silver has been recently threatening players that they better stand), that gives the NFL a pretty good shield.

kirblar

The NBA already has a league wide policy requiring players to stand (and Adam Silver has been recently threatening players that they better stand), that gives the NFL a pretty good shield.
NBA is far more flexible w/ uniforms though, is the trade-off here. They can wear activism t-shirts before games w/o issue.

Context of the policy's different because of that.

NBA is far more flexible w/ uniforms though, is the trade-off here. They can wear activism t-shirts before games w/o issue.

Context of the policy's different because of that.

The NBA is much better about this because the demographics of their players and fans are a lot different than the NFL's. It's a lot less rural, a lot more international, and a lot more diverse all around. American whites sympathetic to Trump are not a large percentage of the player base unlike in the NFL. And as you say, NBA players have other avenues to protest other than kneeling so the national anthem doesn't become the focal point.

Ogodei

They should just keep finding ways to circumvent the rules.

Pretty much. Make it into a game of racist whack-a-mole.

War with North Korea's not happening without at least South Korean buy-in. Otherwise it's like, we start a war, they pay the price. They'd expel our soldiers from the country before they let that happen.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Pretty much. Make it into a game of racist whack-a-mole.

War with North Korea's not happening without at least South Korean buy-in. Otherwise it's like, we start a war, they pay the price. They'd expel our soldiers from the country before they let that happen.

And just a few months ago South Korea elected a prime minister that has a softer than usual stance against North Korea. It seems unlikely to see them escalate.

Abe in Japan does have a tougher than average stance, but hard to see Japan being that proactive in starting a fight.

Only one who might escalate it into a war is Trump, who as you say seems to be on his own even within his own administration in this stance.

Ogodei

And just a few months ago South Korea elected a prime minister that has a softer than usual stance against North Korea. It seems unlikely to see them escalate.

Abe in Japan does have a tougher than average stance, but not that tough.

Because Abe's not in short-term artillery range.

Though if Kim has multiple working missiles, a retaliatory strike on Tokyo for spite (since the revolutionary movement of North Korea was built on anti-Japanese sentiment in the beginning) wouldn't be out of the question.

No one has an interest in escalating things with North Korea. Even if they bought into some crazy bright eyed idea that regime could be done easily (like with happened with Iraq) no one wants to take on the absurd costs it would take to bring North Korea into the modern world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom