• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2nd Pres. Debate 2008 Thread (DOW dropping, Biden is off to Home Depot)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haunted

Saint Gregory said:
Obviously your not familiar with Chicago politics. That award is the equivelent to being #1 on the FBI most wanted list according to the McCain camp :/
Chicago, that damn communist terrorist loving hellhole!
emot-argh.gif

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
JayDubya said:
Second worst President in American History.

At least he didn't have concentration camps, he just jailed people for criticism ("fire in a crowded moviehouse") re-initiated slavery (military draft), initiated the unjust income tax, and wanted us involved in a bunch of hooey over a dead archduke and thought, inexplicably, "Hey, I want me some of that entangling alliance stuff, that looks good!"

Man you make me laugh sometimes. Do you think America exists in a vacuum or something? Ignore the rest of the world and let us all run free without free market! The government should be invisible and never interfere with anyone! They should only provide law enforcement for laws that I agree with and only defend the nation against direct attacks purely with volunteer forces! Otherwise they should get the hell out of our way and let us have our free market! Is that the Libertarian ideal country or am I doing it wrong?

Tamanon

Banned
CharlieDigital said:
Dude, WTF? He comes across like a totally decent and honorable guy. Completely unwilling to bash Palin -- even in the slightest -- even with Maddow basically prodding him on.

Wow.

He's been on several times, seems like a standup guy, I mean, he was a good cop and then a good director. He's the real victim here.

tak

I wouldn't get to excited. This news is probably not going to move polls one way or the other. The only way that would happen is if she was put in handcuffs on national TV, which is not going to happen. There are to many ways to explain away a piece of paper.

Hey that's weird. Drudge hasn't updated with the Palin story yet. I guess he's just busy and hasn't seen it yet. I'm sure if I submitted it in that tip section he has it would be up pronto in big bold red letters...

Cheebs

giga said:
O'Reilly gained a new found respect for Obama after interviewing him. Most people do change after meeting with obama.
He did. He has hinted since the interview he may vote for Obama.

Tamanon

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
...for the Final Weekly North Carolina Voter Registration Update

Today was the final day for voter registration. Weekly registrations:

Code:
Dem	 22,748 
Ind.	 14,152 
GOP	 8,361 
Lib	 388 

Total	 45,649

Recent trend:

Code:
8/30/2008	 7,834 
9/6/2008	 10,077 
9/13/2008	 16,154 
9/20/2008	 20,880 
9/27/2008	 27,237 
10/4/2008	 31,114 
10/10/2008 45,649

Final 2008 total

NC10.jpg

Dems made MASSIVE gains this year.

And they're not done yet, the early voting that starts soon also includes the ability to register and vote at the same time!

Zeliard

Stoney Mason said:
See Obama supporters have good taste. If you had said Live 09 I would have been upset ;)

I've been a 2K guy since the Dreamcast days. They simply make better games than EA. If NFL2K was still around, I'd be buying it instead of Madden, though I've admittedly been having a lot of fun with Madden '09.

And to segue this into something that's vaguely on-topic:

zluf0p.gif

Price Dalton said:
Weird, I was listening to O'Reilly's AM show today in traffic and he was kinda defending Obama from his callers. What's with the guy?

It's quite strange, but I think O'Reilly actually likes Obama, to the extent that I think he may be a closeted Obama voter this year. He wrote a rather glowing piece on Obama on his website after they had that sit-down interview. Don't expect me to understand it. O'Reilly's an odd cookie.

Speevy

Banned
giga said:
O'Reilly gained a new found respect for Obama after interviewing him. Most people do change after meeting with obama.

That's how he "decided" to vote for Bush over Kerry. Kerry wouldn't go on his show, but would visit the Jon Stewart show.

Stoney Mason said:
Hey that's weird. Drudge hasn't updated with the Palin story yet. I guess he's just busy and hasn't seen it yet. I'm sure if I submitted it in that tip section he has it would be up pronto in big bold red letters...

"The sarcasm meter! IT'S OFF THE CHARTS! RUN--" *explodes*

Tamanon said:
He's been on several times, seems like a standup guy, I mean, he was a good cop and then a good director. He's the real victim here.

Seriously, I think this is the worst part about this whole thing. I imagine it was a pretty well paying job and by all accounts, he seemed like he was doing a standup job (at least the accounts I've read anyways...). She should personally apologize to the man.

This is pretty much shameless.

He was saying that this was the last thing he wanted (for this stuff to go public the way it did) and that he tried to "protect" her from this. Wow.

GhaleonEB

Tamanon said:
And they're not done yet, the early voting that starts soon also includes the ability to register and vote at the same time!
Oh wow.

Last day to register to vote: 10/10
Mail-In Voting: 9/15 - 10/28
One Stop Reg. and Voting: 10/16 - 11/1

That state is going blue this year.

Zeliard said:
It's quite strange, but I think O'Reilly actually likes Obama, to the extent that I think he may be a closeted Obama voter this year. He wrote a rather glowing piece on Obama on his website after they had that sit-down interview. Don't expect me to understand it. O'Reilly's an odd cookie.

You will see a lot of Republicans turn on Mccain if he loses. O'Reilly just sees the handwriting on the wall and wants to get the jump on them. "I always knew blah blah blah..."

Fox318

giga said:
I'm not fond of O'Reilly but one thing I do like about him is that he sticks to his value(which I disagree with). At least hes not like Hannity where everything that is Republican is holy.

White Man

Stoney Mason said:

siren.gif

JayDubya

Banned
Zefah said:
Man you make me laugh sometimes. Do you think America exists in a vacuum or something? Ignore the rest of the world and let us all run free without free market! The government should be invisible and never interfere with anyone! They should only provide law enforcement for laws that I agree with and only defend the nation against direct attacks purely with volunteer forces! Otherwise they should get the hell out of our way and let us have our free market! Is that the Libertarian ideal country or am I doing it wrong?

Huh? "Ignoring the rest of the world" =! diplomacy and free trade with all, entangling alliances with none, aggressive wars with none.

A government that is mostly invisible in our daily lives sounds pretty good.

They should provide law enforcement but the legal codes do need some adjustment, certainly, unless you think it's appropriate for people to be prosecuted for victimless crimes.

They should not provide defense for other nations, and "national defense" does not include aggressive war. And yes, the military should not consist of people that did not want to serve in the military; an all-volunteer force is what we have now and we should never, ever return to using slave soldiers under any circumstances.

That sounds pretty ideal, sure.

Especially compared to Woodrow Wilson's style of governance, which is what I was criticizing.

Things like jailing people for government criticism. And making people fight in WWI via conscription. And getting us into the mess in the first place.

The first two paragraphs of the man's Wikipedia page reads like a list of terrible grievances.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
drudgepalin.gif

Huh. How interesting. It's like he has nothing to say about Palin at all!

Bulla564

Banned
tak said:
I wouldn't get to excited. This news is probably not going to move polls one way or the other. The only way that would happen is if she was put in handcuffs on national TV, which is not going to happen. There are to many ways to explain away a piece of paper.

In a perfect world, IMPEACHMENT is right around the corner for her violation of the ethics law.

The media may not cover a boring report, but the VP candidate getting impeached by her state, should make the rounds.

Speevy

Banned
Mccain can't get anywhere by playing down his supporters' deplorable actions.

He'll need to watch the movie Black Sheep and create a photo of Obama setting fire to the recreation center, then create his own ACORN group to register dead people in Garfield county.

JayDubya said:
Huh? "Ignoring the rest of the world" =! diplomacy and free trade with all, entangling alliances with none, aggressive wars with none.

A government that is mostly invisible in our daily lives sounds pretty good.

They should provide law enforcement but the legal codes do need some adjustment, certainly, unless you think it's appropriate for people to be prosecuted for victimless crimes.

They should not provide defense for other nations, and "national defense" does not include aggressive war. And yes, the military should not consist of people that did not want to serve in the military; an all-volunteer force is what we have now and we should never, ever return to using slave soldiers under any circumstances.

That sounds pretty ideal, sure.

To be fair JayDub I don't really know why they continue to go at you. I might not agree with you at all but at least you are relatively consistent with your views. That's pretty much all you can ask for in forum discussions.

Gruco

Banned
OpinionatedCyborg said:
BREAKING NEWS: SARAH PALIN ABUSED HER POWER
Hi guys, I heard that the internet made up everything bad about Sarah Palin because the internet is also the liberal media and hates her.

I read about this on the internet.

Fox318

Stoney Mason said:
To be fair JayDub I don't really know why they continue to go at you. I might not agree with you at all but at least you are relatively consistent with your views. That's pretty much all you can ask for in forum discussions.
Its because he uses phrases like "slave solders" instead of a draft army.

Cyan

Banned
Stoney Mason said:
Fox & Friends is what I imagine a morning show would be like in Orwell's 1984...
The amazing thing about that clip is how incredibly excited he sounds. Like he just found a $100 bill on the sidewalk.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Haunted said:
McCain campaign still keeps pushing that "it was a partisan-led inquiry going after Palin" angle. Meh.

Damn those repub.. I mean democrat Alaskans!

Fox318 said:

Yeah he uses a hyperbole a lot but so do some of the guys on the left. He's always fairly reasonable though (argument wise I mean) and rarely makes it personal within the confines of the argument at least.

giga said:

Bill Clinton has that same ability. He could walk into a room filled with people who hate him and win them all over before the end of the night.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Stoney Mason said:
Yeah he uses a hyperbole a lot but so do some of the guys on the left. He's always fairly reasonable though (argument wise I mean) and rarely makes it personal within the confines of the argument at least.
I appreciate that JayDub at least uses proper grammar and spelling in a concise and easy readable format when laying out his arguments. Unlike most of his contemporaries.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
JayDubya said:
It's not the development of the atom bomb I take issue with, its possession, or even its use. My issue with Hiroshima and Nagasaki as targets is that the bomb was used to deliberately target civilians and do as much "psychological damage" as possible.

Wreaks of terrorism to me, only when the "good guys" do it, it's okay.

Finally something I agree with you about. Murdering all those civilians wasn't necessary to demonstrate the power of the atom bomb. There was no justification for Hiroshima and Nagasaki as far as I am concerned. And I also agree with you that it is only considered "terrorism" when it happens to the so-called "good-guys". America has funded militant radical groups in attempts to overthrow the governments of nations they don't approve of on countless occasions and if that isn't terrorism or at least supporting terrorism then I don't know what is.

Haunted

Suikoguy said:
Damn those repub.. I mean democrat Alaskans!
:lol pretty much. Bunch of Obama supporters!

Full statement:
McCain campaign said:
“Today’s report shows that the Governor acted within her proper and lawful authority in the reassignment of Walt Monegan. The report also illustrates what we’ve known all along: this was a partisan led inquiry run by Obama supporters and the Palins were completely justified in their concern regarding Trooper Wooten given his violent and rogue behavior. Lacking evidence to support the original Monegan allegation, the Legislative Council seriously overreached, making a tortured argument to find fault without basis in law or fact. The Governor is looking forward to cooperating with the Personnel Board and continuing her conversation with the American people regarding the important issues facing the country.”

thefit

Haunted said:
McCain campaign still keeps pushing that "it was a partisan-led inquiry going after Palin" angle. Meh.

The Republicans that asked for this inquiry are obviously secret Muslims.

JayDubya

Banned
Fox318 said:

And I will continue to use that phrase; it is accurate.

President Nixon's Commission on an All-Volunteer Force said:
General William Westmoreland: "I don't want to command an army of mercenaries."
Milton Friedman: "General, would you rather command an army of slaves?"
Westmoreland: "I don't like to hear our patriotic draftees referred to as slaves."
Friedman: "I don't like to hear our patriotic volunteers referred to as mercenaries. If they are mercenaries, then I, sir, am a mercenary professor, and you, sir, are a mercenary general; we are served by mercenary physicians, we use a mercenary lawyer, and we get our meat from a mercenary butcher."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom