• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2nd Pres. Debate 2008 Thread (DOW dropping, Biden is off to Home Depot)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hitokage said:
Now that I think about it though, even you bought into it at the time.

I probably did! I still would rather have Hillary as 44 than Obama, but at least Obama's proven he's not the weakling that I pegged him as.

Captain Pants said:
:lol

I saw that last night, Frum really sounded like a colossal douche with that nonsense.

Seriously. Any sensible person would have commented on how they are not equivalent, but that they feel that neither approach is helpful for serious political discourse.

Total douche.

Trurl

Banned
ToxicAdam said:
Fiscal conservatism is dead. It's just a talking point to attract a certain percentage of the Republican base. Just like the abortion issue.
Doesn't Newt have some fiscal conservative cred?

I was young in the 90s. :-/

At any rate, I hope you're wrong, and I hope the GOP finds some real intellectual foundation. It's kind of depressing when Kathleen Parker and Noam Chomsky seem to both support the same candidate.

Tamanon

Banned
Fiscal conservatism's problem is that it only works as a national platform in times of plenty. That's just because you have to promise something to people.

Trurl said:

Yeah, he does have cred in the "smaller government" set. He also has colossal baggage that makes Hillary Clinton's unfavorable ratings look tame in comparison.

I want Newt around more just because I never would get tired of snarky pundits making fun of him "banging more than just the gavel" as Speaker of the House.

Sharp

Fragamemnon said:
I don't think Huckabee is going to really be back and running well in 2012. He'll be older news then, and still has a lot of the same kind of structural problems with his positions and relations with the base that he had in 2008. If Palin is around-and she will be, count on it- his "base" won't even exist.

The GOP will nominate someone "electable" who will then be destroyed by the same sort of ruthless Obama campaign as in 2008, only this time with the advantage of incumbency and a bully pulpit.
Huckabee is extraordinarily likable, though, in a way that Palin is not. His potential as a nominee is a lot greater than Palin's IMO, which worries me because his policies are just as extreme.

Trurl

Banned
Sharp said:
Huckabee is extraordinarily likable, though, in a way that Palin is not. His potential as a nominee is a lot greater than Palin's IMO, which worries me because his policies are just as extreme.
Don't forget that the rapture will probably happen sometime in the next 4 years, which should make it much easier for a Mormon in the primaries.

teiresias said:
Thinking about Congress here. Will the democrats be in a position to finally kick Liebermans butt to the curb?

Here's an interesting question-if you have a Democratic president sending legislature and appointees to the Senate, and a Democratic House sending spending bills to the Senate, is there really any way that Lieberman is a real pain in the butt? All of his annoying bits won't ever really surface in an Obama administration and a Pelosi house.

He'll go on talk shows and trash democrats from time to time but hey the Benator does that too.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
tanod said:
Isn't Israel in NATO or something?

My opinion: Israel should be able to defend itself with all the nukes and equipment we've given/sold them.

Actually I believe Israel got its nuclear technology mostly from Britain (and a little bit from France) as a "thank you" for their help in the Sinai War.

the US had nothing to do with Israel acquiring nukes.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
You may have a point. It's not as if Lieberman is ever getting reelected now. Maybe he can keep a pity chair, but at the same time, not being liked by everyone has got to hurt one's effectiveness.

Speaking of which, who were the senators who ranked below Dole?

Tamanon

Banned
Sharp said:

In fact, likeability is one of the reasons I think McCain's negative attacks don't work that well. He's a pretty unlikeable fellow himself, so him telling us how bad another person is just really doesn't ring home as much.

ToxicAdam

Trurl said:

He sure does, but it's an easy position to maintain when you are not out there trying to win an election. I find it highly unlikely he could ever win a national election.

Obama campaign manager David Plouffe, making the case that the charges against ACORN aren't relevant, called them a "smokescreen" and a "permission structure" for attempts to disenfranchise voters.

"This is just the start of what is going to be a very deliberate and cynical attempt to create confusion, to challenge people inappropriately," he said.

The amount of time the GOP is spending driving a message about ACORN is, indeed, striking — any day that's about ACORN isn't about experience, or Obama's associations, or McCain's biography, or the economy. So far, it hasn't been met by a legal effort to challenge voters on the ground, though that could change.

Plouffe, in any case, noted the focus on the conservative message machine: "We understand that Fox News Channel is turning themselves into the 24-hour ACORN channel," he said.

Seriously. As soon as the GOP dredged up ACORN you knew the election was over.

Iksenpets

Banned
teiresias said:
Thinking about Congress here. Will the democrats be in a position to finally kick Liebermans butt to the curb?

They'd need 61 seats to do that, which 538 currently has at a 1/5 chance. So it could happen if they keep up momentum and the economy stays bad in Kentucky and Georgia, but it's not likely.

I suspect he'll find jesus after the election and suddenly become Mr. Democratic again. If there's one thing Lieberman loves more than McCain, it's himself and the spotlight. Sitting in a treehouse spouting off ridiculous RNC talking points after the election will only ensure his status as Mr. Irrelevant. You know he just absolutely loved the attention paid to him as he cozied up to McCain during the election, constantly needling his fellow Democrats. If he wants to remain on the teevee, he'll wise up.

Trurl

Banned
Tamanon said:
In fact, likeability is one of the reasons I think McCain's negative attacks don't work that well. He's a pretty unlikeable fellow himself, so him telling us how bad another person is just really doesn't ring home as much.
I hear that a lot, but McCain has always seemed pretty likable to me. His voice sounds pretty friendly most of the time; he's an old man with a stiff body which makes him sympathetic, yet he seems surprisingly energetic. In the past he was able to go onto comedy shows and laugh and be loose.

Nearly all of the decisions he has made relating to his campaign are terribly unlikeable, and his temper is famous (and has even sort of been caught on camera) but when I ignore all that he typically comes through as a kind old man to me.

Not that that matters.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Iksenpets said:
They'd need 61 seats to do that, which 538 currently has at a 1/5 chance. So it could happen if they keep up momentum and the economy stays bad in Kentucky and Georgia, but it's not likely.
Eh, we can kinda fudge it since we can probably count on one or two republicans to vote for cloture.

The Korner Kids are feeling betrayed. :lol

Christopher Buckley, the author and son of the late conservative mainstay William F. Buckley, said in a telephone interview that he has resigned from the National Review, the political journal his father founded in 1955.

Mr. Buckley said he had “been effectively fatwahed by the conservative movement” after endorsing Barack Obama in a blog posting on TheDailyBeast.com; since then, he said he has been blanketed with hate mail at the blog and at the National Review, where he has written a column.

As a result, he wrote to Richard Lowry, the editor of the National Review, and its p ublisher, Jack Fowler, offering to resign, and “this offer was rather briskly accepted,” Mr. Buckley said.

Mr. Buckley said he did not understand the sense of betrayal that some of his conservative colleagues felt, but said that the fury and ugly comments his endorsement generated is “part of the calcification of modern discourse. It’s so angry.” Quoting Ronald Reagan, he added, “I haven’t left the Republican Party. It left me.”

Mr. Buckley has joined a growing list of conservatives who have either endorsed Mr. Obama or questioned whether McCain now stands any chance of being elected. On Monday, the writer Christopher Hitchens also endorsed the Democratic ticket.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
tanod said:
Scrap the Republican image and go with Conservative Party. Coopt the Libertarian establishment and remake your platform under their ideals.
Taking an actual stand on an issue rather that flitting along with whatever poll happens to run across Mitt's desk might work better than pretending to be Mythical Regan yet again.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Mr. Buckley said he did not understand the sense of betrayal that some of his conservative colleagues felt, but said that the fury and ugly comments his endorsement generated is “part of the calcification of modern discourse. It’s so angry.” Quoting Ronald Reagan, he added, “I haven’t left the Republican Party. It left me.”
Heh, the Great Communicator is so great he's able to speak for those in the future!
ToxicAdam said:
Yea, it reeks of Diebold in 2004.
Allegations of coordination maybe, but their machines still sucked ass and needed to be broken down into recyclable material post-haste.

Hitokage said:
Eh, we can kinda fudge it since we can probably count on one or two republicans to vote for cloture.

this. since he votes mainly with the D's on domestic everything (he just loves mccain and the terrorism stuff) even if they kick him from his chairmanship, he'd be very hard pressed to NOT vote with them on the many, many bills he agrees with. and when he won't, it will be easy to find an R or 2 up for re-election in 2010 to cover up.

mckmas8808

Banned
lawblob said:
If I were Palin I would run out the clock on my Governorship term and then cash in with a show on Fox News. That allows her to stay in the limelight without the uncomfortable dilemma of learning / developing policies.

But then again, people thought Reagan was a joke in the early 70s, but by sticking with it he eventually picked up a broad base of support. Who knows what the future brings for Palin, I guess anything is possible.

No Reagan actually ran for president and almost won. Palin didn't. She just came out of nowhere and didn't have to prove shit.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
mckmas8808 said:
No Reagan actually ran for president and almost won. Palin didn't. She just came out of nowhere and didn't have to prove shit.
Reagan was also governor of a state which has to deal with more issues other states care about.

Incognito said:
I suspect he'll find jesus after the election and suddenly become Mr. Democratic again. If there's one thing Lieberman loves more than McCain, it's himself and the spotlight. Sitting in a treehouse spouting off ridiculous RNC talking points after the election will only ensure his status as Mr. Irrelevant. You know he just absolutely loved the attention paid to him as he cozied up to McCain during the election, constantly needling his fellow Democrats. If he wants to remain on the teevee, he'll wise up.

I doubt it. He's a piece of garbage. All the stuff he has said won't be forgotten.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=11276841&postcount=1

Tamanon

Banned
Hitokage said:
Reagan was also governor of a state which has to deal with more issues other states care about.

Also, his knowledge of policy and conservative philosophies was leagues beyond Palin's shell.

Barrett2

mckmas8808 said:

My post indicated that Reagan was considered a joke in the 'early' 70s, during which time he was a horribly unpopular Governor. It wasn't until the mid 70s that his Governorship turned around and his public appeal broadened.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Cloudy said:
Ironically, if anyone in this race is an empty suit, it's McCain. The guy has no clue..
All he has are Nixonesque secret plans. He says, "I know how to..." but then leaves it at that most of the time.

mckmas8808

Banned
ToxicAdam said:
Let's not forget that even Quayle was a presumed front-runner going into 1996. He had the blessings of the arch-conservatives (which is one of the reasons why Bush Sr picked him in the first place.) That was all quickly undone as other, more viable candidates became available.

--

Fiscal conservatism is dead. It's just a talking point to attract a certain percentage of the Republican base. Just like the abortion issue.

Fairly speaking Quayle was also the actual VP for 4 years.

BTW, regarding the whole terrorist thing.

My mom called me this morning regarding one of her friends who is as big a liberal treehugger as you're going to find. A Wiccan vegetarian living in NJ, no less. My mom said that she talked to her friend and her friend said that she was leaning McCain because she had heard that Obama was a terrorist.

:(

My mom said that she tried to set her straight, but seriously, this is so depressing to hear that it's gaining traction. Especially here in NJ.

GhaleonEB

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
CharlieDigital said:

My mom called me this morning regarding one of her friends who is as big a liberal treehugger as you're going to find. A Wiccan vegetarian living in NJ, no less. My mom said that she talked to her friend and her friend said that she was leaning McCain because she had heard that Obama was a terrorist.

My mom said that she tried to set her straight, but seriously, this is so depressing to hear that it's gaining traction. Especially here in NJ.
A Vegan Wiccan? Obviously she is bat shit insane, so don't pay no damn mind to her.

Barrett2

Tamanon said:
Also, his knowledge of policy and conservative philosophies was leagues beyond Palin's shell.

Meh, I don't know that I would necessarily say he had a large amount of knowledge, I think its more a matter of him believing in pure or core conservative principles, and being able to deliver those core principles in an affective communication style.

Palin's problem is she embodies the mutated conservatism of the last 20 years. Its all bark and no bite; just a bundle of contradictions.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
GhaleonEB said:
Waaaaait. Ohio moved to "leaning Obama"?? When? And holy shit at Florida being solid blue! Colorado, too!

CharlieDigital said:

one thing i've learned during this election is that liberalism and stupidity aren't mutually exclusive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom