• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2nd Pres. Debate 2008 Thread (DOW dropping, Biden is off to Home Depot)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tanod

when is my burrito
RubxQub said:
The only reason this is refreshing is because it's coming from someone in the MSM.

Part of growing up is realizing that the only truth to common sense is that it's not common.

Dax01 said:
Wait, so you think Obama has a good chance of taking Georgia?

Depends on election day turnout and how the rest of early voting pans out. If African Americans make up anything close to the % of the electorate that they are now, Obama is going to win there or at least make it very, very close.

tanod

when is my burrito
CharlieDigital said:
It won't gain the same traction in the media because it won't be a talking point from the campaign itself.

Obama calling McCain's taking on the lobbyists a "staff meeting" gives me hope he'll use this.

mckmas8808

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
I just looked up the 2004 results, and the number above is over 15% of the total final turnout in 2004. Three weeks before the election.

No fucking way!!! :lol

Fox News will ACORN this race to death is Obama wins Georgia.

Fragamemnon said:
Depends on election day turnout and how the rest of early voting pans out. If African Americans make up anything close to the % of the electorate that they are now, Obama is going to win there or at least make it very, very close.
Didn't Clinton only managed to win Georgia in the election of 1992 by one percentage point and lost it by one percentage point in the election of 1996? If anyone here knows, how many African Americans are needed to vote for Obama to win Georgia? Is there a way to know?

TDG

Banned
CharlieDigital said:
It won't gain the same traction in the media because it won't be a talking point from the campaign itself.
Ah, okay, I thought your point was that this would get major traction if it was something Obama did. My bad.

Barrett2

Squirrel Killer said:
Um... Where do you think there's an age limit in government?

What?

The government has plenty of age restrictions; forced retirement for gov. employees, minimum age to run for public office, etc.

belvedere said:
So is this McCain lobbyist-Hussein connection going to make the msm?

I think this McCain lobbyst-Hussein story will only gain traction if All of GAF sends this story to CNN, ABCNEWS, CBSNEWS, MSNBC, FOX (LOL just joking) simultaneously .

Kusagari

NyPost said:
ELIZABETHTON, Tenn. -- A new father has secretly named his baby girl Sarah McCain Palin after the Republican ticket for president and vice president.

Mark Ciptak of Elizabethton put that name on the documents for the girl's birth certificate, ignoring the name Ava Grace, which he and his wife had picked earlier.

"I don't think she believes me yet," he told the Kingsport Times-News for a story to be published Tuesday. "It's going to take some more convincing."

Ciptak, a blood bank employee for the American Red Cross, said he named his third child after John McCain and Sarah Palin to "to get the word out" about the campaign.

"I took one for the cause," he said. "I can't give a lot of financial support for the (McCain/Palin) campaign. I do have a sign up in my yard, but I can do very little."
http://www.nypost.com/seven/10142008/news/nationalnews/man_names_baby_sarah_mccain_palin____aga_133588.htm

I'd find it funny if it wasn't so depressing for the girl.

Xeke

Banned
lawblob said:
Wrong. The gov. forces certain employees to retire at a particular age.

Not elected officials. Other government employees might as well work for Sony, they are a completely different story than elected officials.

More info on the McCain Lobbyist story:

http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2008/10/14/151023/04/175/630383

Excerpt:

"who does Timmons lobby for now?

-- Unocal (now owned by Chevron)
-- American Petroleum Institute
-- American Health Care Association
-- Lincare
-- AT&T
-- Freddie Mac
-- Centex Corporation
-- Cox Enterprises, Inc.
-- National Assoc. of Manufacturers
-- Asbestos Working Group
-- Northrup Grumman
-- American Financial Services Assoc.
-- The NRA (The National Rifle Association)
-- The American Council of Life Insurers
-- Farallon Capital Management, LLC
-- Bristol-Myers Squibb Co.
-- The Vanguard Group, Inc.
-- Primerica Financial Services
-- Teva Pharmaceuticals USA, Inc."

gluv65 said:
Remember yesterday, Fox News posted the story about the plumber and taxes aka spreading the wealth around, when Obama was doing his door to door in Toledo Ohio well they distorted like crazy, here's the full in context interview.

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2008/10/spread-the-weal.html#comments

BTW, this raises a good point: I think that there are a lot of people who don't know how the progressive tax brackets work. I myself was clueless until I started to prepare my own tax returns (this last year is the first time I discovered what the "progressive" part meant).

TDG

Banned
Kusagari said:
I'd find it funny if it wasn't so depressing for the girl.
By the time she gets to the age that she might realize such things, McCain and Palin will be so irrelevant it won't even matter.

Dax01 said:
Didn't Clinton only managed to win Georgia in the election of 1992 by one percentage point and lost it by one percentage point in the election of 1996? If anyone here knows, how many African Americans are needed to vote for Obama to win Georgia? Is there a way to know?

As a percentage, I'd say around 31% or so of the overall turnout based off the polling numbers I pulled out from a couple of recent polls.

Barrett2

Speevy said:
No one ever argues with that one though. Would be interesting to see an 18 year old take the office.

Some 18 year old kid was elected mayor of some town a few years ago. Pretty funny. I wonder if he did a good job.

Xeke

Banned
lawblob said:
That is not a legally significant distinction.

And?

We're talking about elected offices, not secretaries. John McCain isn't trying to get a job as a secretary in the Pentagon.

Barrett2

Xeke said:
And?

We're talking about elected offices, not secretaries. John McCain isn't trying to get a job as a secretary in the Pentagon.

I don't really know what your point is. It doesn't matter what the government official's job is, the only important point is that the government COULD impose age limits on its employees if it wanted to, regardless of what they do. Obviously with the President and Congressmen the Fed Constitution explicitly states minimum requirements, but that doesn't mean the Gov. couldn't also impose other requirements.

Xeke

Banned
lawblob said:
I don't really know what point you are making. It doesn't matter what the government official's job is, the only important point is that the government COULD impose age limits on its employees if it wanted to, regardless of what they do. Obviously with the President and Congressmen the Fed Constitution explicitly states minimum requirements, but that doesn't mean the Gov. couldn't also impose other requirements.

That's just not true. Placing limits on the presidency would require altering the Constitution.

belvedere said:
Just tried REDACTED I'll let you know if I get a delivery failure.
it should fail. i PM'd him the address that worked for me this spring, as he and i emailed. as i said about the mark halperin email, i'm not a fan of posting people's email address's online, especially if they are 'hidden', because then spam bots + random people get it/etc

Barrett2

Xeke said:
That's just not true. Placing limits on the presidency would require altering the Constitution.

....which is something the government could do... hence, the government could do it if they wanted to.

Not to mention that the individual states are free to impose independent restrictions on who is eligible to be on the ballot in that state.

Justin Bailey

------ ------
Xeke said:
And with the type of limit we're talking about - it would be old people voting for an age ceiling on an office a lot of them want :D Prolly not gonna happen. . .

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
I would love it if Bill Ayers came out and endorsed McCain.

"He stands for the same things I do." and all of that.

Speevy

Banned
Spire said:
I would love it if Bill Ayers came out and endorsed McCain.

Or he claimed to have had an affair with Palin.

The only thing worse than conspiring with terrorists is having sex with them.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
CharlieDigital said:
BTW, regarding the whole terrorist thing.

My mom called me this morning regarding one of her friends who is as big a liberal treehugger as you're going to find. A Wiccan vegetarian living in NJ, no less. My mom said that she talked to her friend and her friend said that she was leaning McCain because she had heard that Obama was a terrorist.

:(

My mom said that she tried to set her straight, but seriously, this is so depressing to hear that it's gaining traction. Especially here in NJ.

are people seriously that retarded? wow. ... ... . . . .

if obama loses because of this shit... i.. i really dont know. i will seriously consider leaving this country.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom