PoliGAF Election Day 2008 Thread of A New Dawn in America (OBAMA ELECT)

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 14, 2006
17,455
0
0
Hitokage said:
Speaking of people getting up early, newspapers were sold out throughout town. The supermarket next to UNC Charlotte had their newspapers sell out by 7am.

I managed to score one at 1pm though. :D
No newspapers here in Indianapolis either and lots of tired people.
 

Xeke

Banned
Sep 8, 2006
14,299
0
0
30
Pfft. If you guys can top this one.

"is congratulations Barak Husein(the last name of a communist leader) Obama( close to Osama the islamic terrorist responsible for the attacks on 9/11)."
 
Feb 16, 2007
27,373
2
0
Shaheed79 said:
I just went over the map on CNN and I had no idea that most red state voter population is pretty small. I'm talking 12 of the total 21 red states where neither candidate accumulated more than 1million votes. I had no idea so many of those gigantic red states were so damn empty. Without Texas the GOP would barely even be a strong political party anymore.
And they only get Texas for another ten to fifteen years. Demographic shifts are eating away the Bubba vote.

All of the major urban centers other than Fort Worth went for Obama.

Better yet, Texas is likely to have 37, instead of 34 electoral votes when 2012 comes around, and most of the increase in population is either Hispanic or out of state.
 

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Jun 8, 2004
28,905
0
1,645
and my ex just deleted my response to her explaining that the market is down because service sector jobs are down and rumors are heavy that retail sales numbers at market close are going to be really bad.

Evidently she prefers to think that the economy is tanking because Obama won.
 
Dec 13, 2004
23,037
1
0
35
Steve Youngblood said:
Well, based on the reactions of the Rush fans I have next to my cube, no, no it's not.

Just you folks wait. Not everyone is convinced that he was eligible to run. I want to see that birth certificate.
Everyone is sure that McCain wasn't eligible, then. He was born in the Panama Canal Zone.
 
Nov 15, 2007
2,613
0
865
Tamanon said:
It's their California. And they REALLY need to get the Hispanic vote tipped back their way otherwise it will turn purple in the coming years. I don't think they realized how much the way they ran immigration reform as anti-Mexico instead of pro-laws hurt them there.
That or if the Democrats get greedy and try to push social issues too far to quick like putting gay marriage and abortion into the constitution.
 

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Jun 8, 2004
28,905
0
1,645
The Dems need to pass comprehensive immigration reform.

1) Because its the prudent thing to do.
2) Because its the right thing to do.
3) Because we will control the Hispanic vote like we do the black vote for the next 20-30 years.
 
Jun 7, 2004
77,909
2
0
Oregon
I'm feeling good about the Oregon Senate race; strong dem counties are left (Lane, Benton) and I think they'll offset the smaller share of red counties left. It's going to be crazy close, though.

And I'm feeling good today. Really fucking good.
 
Aug 6, 2007
12,781
0
0
Does anybody know where I'd be able to find the "big" US newspapers here in Rhode Island? Would they just be in convenience stores?

I'd like to get a USA Today one and some others
 

Deku

Banned
Jan 6, 2005
16,689
0
0
カナダ
electricpirate said:
I think any attempt to put Obama's policies directly on the Liberal/Conservative scale completely misses the f'n point. His positions weren't strictly idealistic, they were based on pragmatism and what works.

If we did have to force Obama's round peg into the square hole, sure he'd be a progressive, and the progressive beliefs he holds he put forth without apology. By that standard he's somewhat farther left than we are used to. On a worldwide scale, he'd be pretty centrist.

I guess when people say "Hey This is a center right country" they don't take into account that obama has calibrated that by taking things that work from both parties. Saying he NEEDS to move to the right is foolish, progressive ideas won in this election. Obama needs to govern exactly as he's promised, openly, and by surrounding himself with smart people who disagree.
Firstly, I'm breathless and thrilled to see Obama elected.

I'm slowy reading throud this massive thread so this reply is going to pop up several pages after the initial post. I couldn't agree more.

Trying to place American politics on the global liberal/conservative scale will not make sense.

On the social issues, America is easily right of centre, but demographically, the US is far more diverse than any single European state, which tend to be highly historieid, generally homogeneous culturally, ethnically and certainly politically and much smaller in size.

I don't claim any expertise but I think its fair to say that for Europeans in particular to comprehend the complexity of the United States is to imagine a Europe with Turkey in the Union, plus the conservative eastern bloc states, in a federal system where there is no Nicholas Sarkozy running France, or an Angela Merkle running Germany, but a Pan European candidate.

And imagine Turkey's population advantage trumping Western European more progressive lean.
 
Jun 7, 2004
14,567
0
1,300
Xeke said:
Pfft. If you guys can top this one.

"is congratulations Barak Husein(the last name of a communist leader) Obama( close to Osama the islamic terrorist responsible for the attacks on 9/11)."
I don't think I can beat that, but here's mine:

"A is waiting for his redistribution check. sweet sweet money here I come."

"B is weeping for his personal liberties."

"C is shit..."

"D is done, that's it, I quit."

"E is yes we did... begin a socialist government. fucking disgusting."

"F is wondering whos moving to Canada with her? Sad that people shouldnt have to take a test in order to vote."
 
Jun 6, 2004
46,403
6
1,495
US
Deku said:
Firstly, I'm breathless and thrilled to see Obama elected.

I'm slowy reading throud this massive thread so this reply is going to pop up several pages after the initial post. I couldn't agree more.

Trying to place American politics on the global liberal/conservative scale will not make sense.

On the social issues, America is easily right of centre, but demographically, the US is far more diverse than any single European state, which tend to be highly historieid, generally homogeneous culturally, ethnically and certainly politically and much smaller in size.

I don't claim any expertise but I think its fair to say that for Europeans in particular to comprehend the complexity of the United States is to imagine a Europe with Turkey in the Union, plus the conservative eastern bloc states, in a federal system where there is no Nicholas Sarkozy running France, or an Angela Merkle running Germany, but a Pan European candidate.

And imagine Turkey's population advantage trumping Western European more progressive lean.
This post just blew my mind.
 

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Jul 31, 2004
7,104
0
0
39
Lake County
Tamanon said:
It's their California. And they REALLY need to get the Hispanic vote tipped back their way otherwise it will turn purple in the coming years. I don't think they realized how much the way they ran immigration reform as anti-Mexico instead of pro-laws hurt them there.
Obama lost Texas 45-54 which is a definitive win for the Republicans but I was expecting a lot worse with supposedly 25% of Texans believing Obama was Muslim. Or was that 25% of white Texans? Obama won California 61-37. Pretty sweet.
 

Deku

Banned
Jan 6, 2005
16,689
0
0
カナダ
Firstly, I'm breathless and thrilled to see Obama elected. Congratulations to everyone who voted. Obama's election is a vindication that America is truly an exceptional place, even if American exceptionalism as an ideology has been misused and abused in the past decade.

On another point that generally adresses American politics a few pages back.

Trying to place American politics on the global liberal/conservative scale will not make sense.

On the social issues, America is easily right of centre, but demographically, the US is far more diverse than any single European state, which tend to be highly historieid, generally homogeneous culturally, ethnically and certainly politically (even if they have large minorities) and much smaller in size.

I don't claim any expertise but I think its fair to say that for Europeans in particular to comprehend the complexity of the United States is to imagine a Europe with Turkey in the Union, plus the conservative eastern bloc states, in a federal system where there is no Nicholas Sarkozy running France, or an Angela Merkel running Germany, but a Pan European candidate.

And imagine Turkey + Eastern bloc's population advantage trumping Western Europe's more progressive lean on these pan European federal votes and you can begin to grasp why calling American's dumb for electing W. or backwards for failing to pass legislation your country passed when they are much smaller and more alike, is often misguided.

Cheers, and let me say again. Congratulations America.
 
May 16, 2007
4,681
0
0
StoOgE said:
The Dems need to pass comprehensive immigration reform.

1) Because its the prudent thing to do.
2) Because its the right thing to do.
3) Because we will control the Hispanic vote like we do the black vote for the next 20-30 years.
They should have a filibuster proof majority for this idea by now, assuming McCain has come back to his senses and will vote for it after saying he wouldn't.
 

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Jun 8, 2004
28,905
0
1,645
electricpirate said:
They should have a filibuster proof majority for this idea by now, assuming McCain has come back to his senses and will vote for it after saying he wouldn't.
Yes, McCain will vote for it. He wrote the damn bill. It will get done.
 

belvedere

Junior Butler
Jun 2, 2006
9,148
1
0
Holy propaganda fuck fest!

The fucking constant country music, never-ending ridiculously corny and overly patriotic commercials and explosion/sound effect laden introductions sound as if they're taken right out of GTA IV.

Wow.

:lol
 
Jun 10, 2004
81,825
1
0
belvedere said:
Holy propaganda fuck fest!

The fucking constant country music, never-ending ridiculously corny and overly patriotic commercials and explosion/sound effect laden introductions sound as if they're taken right out of GTA IV.

Wow.

:lol
LET FREEDOM RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING

It always is weird that song bit he plays ends with "It's Judgment day"
 
Dec 12, 2006
59,024
0
0
electricpirate said:
They should have a filibuster proof majority for this idea by now, assuming McCain has come back to his senses and will vote for it after saying he wouldn't.
the GOP will probably sell him out. so yeah... thats a good chance!
 
Aug 6, 2007
12,781
0
0
belvedere said:
Holy propaganda fuck fest!

The fucking constant country music, never-ending ridiculously corny and overly patriotic commercials and explosion/sound effect laden introductions sound as if they're taken right out of GTA IV.

Wow.

:lol
I love the part of the neo-con radio broadcast in GTA IV when the guy starts talking about the "midget agenda" :lol
 

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Jun 8, 2004
28,905
0
1,645
Shaheed79 said:
Obama lost Texas 45-54 which is a definitive win for the Republicans but I was expecting a lot worse with supposedly 25% of Texans believing Obama was Muslim. Or was that 25% of white Texans? Obama won California 61-37. Pretty sweet.
But you have to remember, Texas was not a targeted state. Had they actually targeted Texas they probably could have gotten 3-4 points closer.

Let's put it this way: Texas may have been more in play for Obama than Pennsylvania was for McCain.

Give Texas 10 years of the sort of demographic change that Colorado, Nevada and Arizona have and it will be a slight R lean. That is a win in and of itself. Media buys in Texas are expensive as fuck. Just making the Republicans advertise in Texas while the Dems spend money elsewhere is full of win.
 
Jun 6, 2004
14,486
0
0
Tim-E said:
And now, some more Facebook statuses:

"Chuck is sick, and ontop of it all, now has to be concerned about americas future."

"Marco figures that with a Democratic President and a completely Democratic Congress, it's a bad time to work for a living. "

"Michael is praying for our nation and the new direction that it has decided to take. May God help us now."

"Kenneth is glad his state didn't let him down." (West Virginia)



He does exorcisms.
Some of mine:

"Kortney is moving to Australia!"

"Nayeli is sad for our country."

"Nayeli is strugglin 2 be proud 2 be an american right now."

"Percy is trying not to think of what might happen in the next very long 4 years..."

"Percy is just all over bummed at the ignorance of some Americans."

"Randa does not have anything nice to say right now so she better not say anything at all..."

"Bill is ugh!"

"Caitlin is moving to another country."
 

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Jul 31, 2004
7,104
0
0
39
Lake County
besada said:
And they only get Texas for another ten to fifteen years. Demographic shifts are eating away the Bubba vote.

All of the major urban centers other than Fort Worth went for Obama.

Better yet, Texas is likely to have 37, instead of 34 electoral votes when 2012 comes around, and most of the increase in population is either Hispanic or out of state.
That is exactly my point. Someone else pointed that out on CNN a few days ago that the GOP will lose Texas in the near future unless they make big changes in their ideology and without Texas they will be in a near hopeless disadvantage every election. Minorities are growing not shrinking.
 
Feb 6, 2007
1,036
0
0
belvedere said:
Holy propaganda fuck fest!

The fucking constant country music, never-ending ridiculously corny and overly patriotic commercials and explosion/sound effect laden introductions sound as if they're taken right out of GTA IV.

Wow.

:lol
It might be propaganda, if he wasn't 100% correct. On everything.
 
Jun 7, 2004
57,600
0
0
GDJustin said:
If he really does turn out to be a centrist then he truly will be my ideal candidate. All the personal qualities I outlined above, but without some of the more extreme liberal positions I'm not fond of... I hope he strikes a rational and reasonable balance.
Go read "Audacity of Hope". He isn't "extremely liberal" at all..

The people who will end up attacking him the most are folks on the far left :lol
 
I feel really bad for Mccain. To pander towards those that wronged you 8 years prior and to toss aside nearly everything you've lived your life for in an attempt to make one last dash towards your long life dream... only to come short must be extremely disheartening. He's lost a lot of my respect through out this campaign but I can't help but feel sorry for him.
 
Jun 6, 2004
14,486
0
0
Steve Youngblood said:
I don't think I can beat that, but here's mine:

"A is waiting for his redistribution check. sweet sweet money here I come."

"B is weeping for his personal liberties."

"C is shit..."

"D is done, that's it, I quit."

"E is yes we did... begin a socialist government. fucking disgusting."

"F is wondering whos moving to Canada with her? Sad that people shouldnt have to take a test in order to vote."
That last one in particular is completely fucking stupid. She's right, we should have to take a test, and she just failed miserably. What about an Obama Presidency does she think she would escape in Canada? Socialism? Abortion? The gay? Fail, fail, fail.
 
Sep 15, 2006
41,042
0
0
StoOgE said:
But you have to remember, Texas was not a targeted state. Had they actually targeted Texas they probably could have gotten 3-4 points closer.

Let's put it this way: Texas may have been more in play for Obama than Pennsylvania was for McCain.

Give Texas 10 years of the sort of demographic change that Colorado, Nevada and Arizona have and it will be a slight R lean. That is a win in and of itself. Media buys in Texas are expensive as fuck. Just making the Republicans advertise in Texas while the Dems spend money elsewhere is full of win.
Obama could flip Texas in 2012 if the economy is turned around.
 

TDG

Banned
Feb 12, 2007
8,521
0
0
Ohio
To anyone who's wondering what the Chief of Staff does:
Just think about what you thought the vice president did when you were little, before you realized that the VP doesn't do anything... that's what the Chief of Staff does.
besada said:
For me, the only question is getting the most qualified candidate. I can't see that Kerry is that guy, and I'm not interested in appointments just to piss people off.

And I like pissing off Republicans.
Oh no, I'm just kidding, I definitely don't want Obama to go down the Bush route.

Although, while I think it'd be great for him to have a cabinet of superstars, and have a bipartisan cabinet, the most important thing is to have a cabinet that works together well. We can't take another disfunctional mess of a cabinet like we had under W.

But I would like Kerry to get a spot in the cabinet, although he may not the most qualified guy for Sec. of State (personally I think he'd be well suited for the job,) he's definitely qualified on a wide variety of issues and has a lot of experience from the Senate. i hope there's a place for him in the Obama administration. He's a smart, brave guy, he was just unlucky enough to be born with the charisma of a dead horse.
Hitokage said:
Yeah, I ended up sleeping in to get a couple more hours of sleep from just three or four and I'm still fairly fatigued.
Yeah, I'm exausted.
 

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Jul 23, 2004
37,730
0
0
Seth C said:
That last one in particular is completely fucking stupid. She's right, we should have to take a test, and she just failed miserably. What about an Obama Presidency does she think she would escape in Canada? Socialism? Abortion? The gay? Fail, fail, fail.
Whenever I read comments like that, I picture 'd' Girl.
 

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Jul 6, 2005
91,412
0
0
30
Has it not set in for anyone yet? I put on my Obama-Biden t-shirt today and people are like, "HEYYY DUDEEEE WOOHOOO" and it hasn't set in that OBAMA IS THE NEXT PRESIDENT :D :D :D
 

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Jun 8, 2004
28,905
0
1,645
Here is what turning Texas blue would look like to the electoral map.



I would consider this an extremely safe EV count + Texas. 30 votes shy of the magic number, and there are multiple blue states left off of that count. If Texas turns blue Dems are in the catbird seat to win every presidential election.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.