• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Election Day 2008 Thread of A New Dawn in America (OBAMA ELECT)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Baby Milo said:
man the image thats gonna stick with me is after the election was called and seeing the camera on jesse jackson with tears in his eyes

that shit was powerful
Yeah jesse gets a lot of heat for being a bit nutty (and a bit slutty :lol ) but Jesse was a trail blazer. He did run one of the first big national campaigns for a presidential nomination as a black man. And despite his obvious differences with Obama, it was clear that he was very proud to see Obama win.

Gallbaro

Banned
Pezking said:
Kudos from Germany - good job, folks!

Only you guys with your sports and elections manage to make me stay up that long at night.

So, what are the chances now that Guantanamo will be closed and the death penalty abolished (I guess the closing of Guantanamo is much more likely, right?)?

1. Good

2. States Rights and Supreme Court issue=not gonna happen.

besada

Banned
DeathNote said:
So it looks like John Kerry, Richard Holbrooke, Chuck Hagel, Sam Nunn are possible candidates for secretary of state.

I like Nunn and Hagel best out of those two. Nunn best of all.

Jason's Ultimatum said:
I always knew that after Obama won the election, he would already have in place some form of "shadow" government. I really do think once he's sworn into office, he's going to kick it in full force on trying to get his agendas passed. That's just the type of guy he is.

President gets elected and tries to get his agendas passed? Unbelievable.

Baker

Banned
speculawyer said:
Yeah jesse gets a lot of heat for being a bit nutty (and a bit slutty :lol ) but Jesse was a trail blazer. He did run one of the first big national campaigns for a presidential nomination as a black man. And despite his obvious differences with Obama, it was clear that he was very proud to see Obama win.

I don't know the man, and I definitely don't know what was going through his head.

However, I will just say this observation: He showed no hint of crying until the cameras went to him a second time.

Don't fuck with Rahm you'll feel soooory

Friends and enemies agree that the key to Emanuel's success is his legendary intensity. There's the story about the time he sent a rotting fish to a pollster who had angered him. There's the story about how his right middle finger was blown off by a Syrian tank when he was in the Israeli army. And there's the story of how, the night after Clinton was elected, Emanuel was so angry at the president's enemies that he stood up at a celebratory dinner with colleagues from the campaign, grabbed a steak knife and began rattling off a list of betrayers, shouting "Dead! . . . Dead! . . . Dead!" and plunging the knife into the table after every name. "When he was done, the table looked like a lunar landscape," one campaign veteran recalls. "It was like something out of The Godfather. But that's Rahm for you."

Of the three stories, only the second is a myth -- Emanuel lost the finger to a meat slicer as a teenager and never served in the Israeli army. But it's a measure of his considerable reputation as the enforcer in Clinton's White House that so many people believe it to be true. You don't earn the nickname "Rahmbo" being timid.
http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/story/8091986/the_enforcer/

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
There are plenty of good republicans it's just that they've been in the minority and out of power positions. Obama isn't limted to only a handful of "non bush rallying retards".

besada

Banned
ToxicAdam said:
No speculation of Howard Dean as a cabinet member?

He's doing fine as the head of the DNC, but I'd consider him for Sec of Health and Human Services, what with being a Doctor with extensive experience running a large organization.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
speculawyer said:
Certainly all true... but lets not forget the part where he extorts money from people through his Rainbow Coalition. He blazed many trails and Jesse Jackson always fashioned himself after Martin Luther King, Jr., but he was no, and is not Martin Luther King, Jr.

Jesse Jackson can rot.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Pezking said:
Kudos from Germany - good job, folks!

Only you guys with your sports and elections manage to make me stay up that long at night.

So, what are the chances now that Guantanamo will be closed and the death penalty abolished (I guess the closing of Guantanamo is much more likely, right?)?

Gitmo being closed is a *strong* possibility.

Death Penalty being abolished is more of an issue for the courts at this point. No politician here will try and stop it because it makes them seem 'soft on crime' with swing voters. In the US the death penalty is a state by state issue as well. There are federal offenses as well, but for the most part death penalty cases are tried by the state. So the president has little control.

sangreal

PhoenixDark said:
Or Palin will simply replace him with herself

I hope so

She doesn't have a choice, Alaskan law requires a special election (per a Referendum passed after a Governor appointed his daughter or something). She would probably win if she runs though

besada

Banned
What I'm really interested in is:

1) Who's going to be Attorney General and
2) What their priorities are going to be.

After Ashcroft and Gonzales, it's not going to be hard to find someone more qualified and less crazy.

Pezking

Gallbaro said:
1. Good

2. States Rights and Supreme Court issue=not gonna happen.

So he could only pardon a shitload of pending executions - if he wants to?

Does he want to do this? Or is he fine with the death penalty?

Anyway, getting rid of Guantanamo would be a major step in the right direction.

Baker

Banned
Zeliard said:
Runs in the family, I guess. The character Ari Gold from Entourage is based on Hollywood agent Ari Emmanuel, Rahm's brother.

Damn.

Why didn't they capitalize on that and have "Get the Fuck Out" as one of their campaign slogans?

Kipe

Zeliard said:
Runs in the family, I guess. The character Ari Gold from Entourage is based on Hollywood agent Ari Emmanuel, Rahm's brother.

Charlie Rose interviewed Rahm and his two brothers a few months back. The third brother works in NIH or CDC.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Pezking said:
So he could only pardon a shitload of pending executions - if he wants to?

Does he want to do this? Or is he fine with the death penalty?

Anyway, getting rid of Guantanamo would be a major step in the right direction.

Obama is not anti-death penalty. For whatever reason being against the death penalty is a view held primarily by the far left here in the states.

greepoman

ViperVisor said:
Hannity intro was EPIC

Like 25 spliced clips of Rev Wright and Obama

I wanna know when Rev. Wright is releasing a rap album. He could make some catchy songs with all those catch phrases from the commercials, etc.

Nameless

Am I'm the only who gets a chill imagining if the story was about Pres Elect McCain right now. GAF would be in ruins, and I probably wouldn't have survived last night.

Fox318

%7bffc35e68-d804-4fca-87de-de30a78fa6e3%7d.gif

greepoman

Nameless said:
Am I'm the only who gets a chill imagining if the story was about Pres Elect McCain right now. GAF would be in ruins, and I probably wouldn't have survived last night.

Think Rapture Ready but in reverse. With a little less crazy but still the talk of moving the Canada. :lol

Son of Godzilla said:
The average American under 30 has grown up during the absolutely ridiculous shit Clinton went through at his end of term and then the insanity of Bush. It's not about being black, although that's nice, it's about the triumph of the intelligentsia and defeat of fear-mongering assholes. I don't know if you are American or not, but for the last decade plus the politics of this country truly have seemed hopeless for your average twenty something college grad. That's why Obama's campaign was so strong, why his internet force so successful. It sounds trite, but people were fucking desperate for change.

I actually am American. Lived in southern California all my life. I suppose I would be part of that disenfranchised youth that you're talking about but I haven't quite bought in like everyone else. Obama's tax plan would benefit me but I just wonder how its going to effect the 250,000K households. In California, I would guess that these households are the most likely to be living beyond their means by buying homes and cars they can barely afford. A tax increase could send those folks over the edge. As for Iraq, I'd like to get out as soon as possible but not if the place is going to turn into a bigger pile of shit once we leave. A lot of people died and I wouldn't want their lives to be a waste if we fuck things up further by leaving prematurely. I hated it when Clinton did that in Somalia.

Maybe Obama is the change we need but I'll wait and see.

harSon

Banned
Fatalah said:
I don't know why I'm realizing this just today but Sarah Palin is actually kind hot.

Woah.

Why didn't you guys tell me?

She looks decent for her age but that honestly isn't saying much. I wouldn't consider her hot, far from it actually. She was cute when she was younger though.

@Togo's IRC pic

IRC was epic last night. I was glad to be a part of that -- when CNN announced that Obama was president, the channel erupted and everyone went nuts.

Good times, glad you guys pulled it off. I'm excited to see what changes the new year will bring :)

TDG

Banned
Emanuel will do a great job. Terrific choice.

Man, I can't wait until my conservative pals start criticizing Obama, and I get to spew the same bullshit they spewed at me during the Bush days about being patriotic. Hee hee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom