• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Election Day 2008 Thread of A New Dawn in America (OBAMA ELECT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pezking

StoOgE said:
Obama is not anti-death penalty. For whatever reason being against the death penalty is a view held primarily by the far left here in the states.

Ok, thanks. That's a bit disappointing, but you can't have everything, I guess.

As you all know, Germany isn't perfect as well. :lol

Example?

51tclXX4sNL._SS400_.jpg
61StnMkmvtL._SS400_.jpg

Disgusting. Can't even buy games here anymore.

adg1034

Zeliard said:
Runs in the family, I guess. The character Ari Gold from Entourage is based on Hollywood agent Ari Emmanuel, Rahm's brother.

Who went to my school, and was freshman roommates with actor/director Peter Berg. How crazy is that?

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Hitokage said:
Of course he does. The ideal of the Ministry of Truth still lives!
I just started reading 1984...so uh...no...spoilers?

Fuck I'm behind :lol

Barrett2

Can't say I know too much about Emanuel, but based on the little I have read, he seems like a tough, smart and aggressive guy. The way the Repubs will be attacking Obama, Rahm sounds like just what Bams needs to keep on the attack.

The Battle for the Republican Party Begins

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2008/11/05/mccain-not-included-on-cpac-invite/

McCain not included on CPAC invite

Votes are still being counted in some states, but conservatives stinging from last night’s losses are planning to get together to plan the movement’s future — and so far, it doesn’t look like that vision includes John McCain.

McCain, who made a poorly-received appearance at the Conservative Political Action Conference last year, was not included on a list of major movement figures invited to next year’s gathering e-mailed to supporters Wednesday morning. More than a dozen conservative leaders made the cut — including McCain’s running mate, Sarah Palin.

Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich and Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal have also been invited to address CPAC in February, along with McCain’s former primary season rivals Mitt Romney and Ron Paul.

“At CPAC 1975, one speech initiated the conservative comeback,” American Conservative Union president David Keene wrote on the invitation to the group’s annual meeting, citing Ronald Reagan’s encouraging words to activists after the “disastrous” post-Watergate election losses of 1974. “CPAC friends, it's imperative that we continue to fight for conservative principles despite recent losses. We face new challenges, but our principles are timeless.”

Last year, McCain faced a thorny reception during a rare appearance at the gathering, as his visit – and even the mention of his name – drew boos from many in attendance.

Romney narrowly beat the Arizona senator, 35 to 34 percent, in the conference’s presidential straw poll of conservative political activists. The result came even though it was clear that McCain, who had addressed the group that week, would be the Republican Party’s nominee — and even though Romney had ended his presidential run there earlier in the conference. The announcement of Romney’s win was greeted by cheers from the crowd, angry over McCain’s past positions on immigration policy.

TDG

Banned
As the [seemingly] only Kerry fanboy on PoliGAF, I would love to see Kerry get a nice spot in Obama's cabinet. Sec. of State would be especially nice, and it would piss off the Republicans in a major way.

Jason's Ultimatum said:
Far sooner than what Bill Clinton did. We didn't know about his cabinet until weeks before being sworn in.

You were almost making it sound like a bad thing with your last post... or maybe it was me misreading it? I'm fucking pumped up that he's already making moves and getting the ball rolling.

Calcaneus

Zeliard said:
Hannity talking about journalism. :lol

He's pissed at the Rahm choice, too, which is fantastic.
For a minute at the beginning, I thought that he was gonna be classy about this, but that went out of the window in minutes. That seems to be happening with all the right wing radio hosts, Limbaugh, Hannity, Boortz.

Oh, and how dare the Hannity show use my Wonderwall, they are making it dirty!

JayDubya

Banned
RubxQub said:
Ron Paul getting invited but not McCain is super lulzworthy :lol

Ron Paul's more conservative.

Of course, McCain's more conservative than Mittens, unless you only count post-reinvention-to-national-politician-Mittens; not that the guy isn't competent and smart, but I don't respect that sort of thing. Better than Obama, sure.

TDG

Banned
Man, this Mark Murray guy on MSNBC has a weird head. Huge cheeks, and everything else is tiny. His features are like drops in a big, blubbery puddle. Odd.

EDIT: Pointy ears, too.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Jindal is a certifiable nutcase. OMG BUT HE GOT ACCEPTED TO PRESTIGIOUS SCHOOLS JUST LIKE YOU'RE GUYS! Jindal-Palin 2012, bring it on you fucking losers.

RubxQub

Jamesfrom818 said:
I like Ron Paul. He just needs to tone down some of the crazy.
I have nothing at all against Ron Paul, I just find it completely hilarious that the party outright rejected his ass during the primaries and now he's invited to this super secret Republican revival meeting :lol

hokahey

Hootie said:
So what will Obama's big message be in the '12 election? This one was ALL about change in Washington, but by then he will be the big man. :lol

This was one of the first things I thought of, and I think we caught a glimpse of it in his acceptance speech when he said something about all of the work to be done may take longer than a year, or even his first term.

2012 will be about finishing the job, and as long as he's shown some measure of progress on it already I think he'll be just fine.

Barrett2

RubxQub said:

I love it, the Republicans might be extending the olive branch to the libertopians, trying to bring them back into the fold. :lol

Zeliard

Hannity was making Rahm Emmanuel sound awesome. :lol

Calcaneus said:
For a minute at the beginning, I thought that he was gonna be classy about this, but that went out of the window in minutes. That seems to be happening with all the right wing radio hosts, Limbaugh, Hannity, Boortz.

I was surprised at the beginning, because Hannity was saying good things about Obama. Guess he was just trying to soften the blows. The attempts at blows, rather.

Tamanon

Banned
RubxQub said:

One would think that half of the people invited would laugh Palin out of the room. She's not even a real conservative. She's just a religious one, not a social one or a fiscal one.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
TDG said:
As the [seemingly] only Kerry fanboy on PoliGAF, I would love to see Kerry get a nice spot in Obama's cabinet. Sec. of State would be especially nice, and it would piss off the Republicans in a major way.
Kerry's a good man and I completely agree. I will always give him credit and respect for being one of the only senators that had the balls to go after the CIA for it's not so legal "extracurricular activities".

RubxQub

Tamanon said:
One would think that half of the people invited would laugh Palin out of the room. She's not even a real conservative. She's just a religious one, not a social one or a fiscal one.
Palin getting an invite shows that the party might not have any intentions of trying to win based on policy or philosophy, but instead on gimmickry.

I don't mind Romney, I don't mind Paul.

Let these guys with actual beliefs run.

platypotamus said:
You were almost making it sound like a bad thing with your last post... or maybe it was me misreading it? I'm fucking pumped up that he's already making moves and getting the ball rolling.

Um, no I wasn't. :lol

EDIT-OH SHIT. Paul Volker is on Obama's Treasury list!? That's EPIC! :lol

JayDubya

Banned
lawblob said:

Who are we talking about? Mitt Romney, the pro-abortion, pro-government healthcare governor of Massachusetts? Or Mitt Romney, the "I'm gonna quote some P. J. O'Rourke at you" primary candidate?

Guy's quite talented, charismatic, and smart, but politicians that define their values entirely around what helps them win don't exactly earn my respect. I suppose they're marginally better than politicians that hold core values that are disagreeable, but then again, if the wind changes direction, you don't know what you'll get.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I hope the reports of Obama making a very quick and very SHARP run to the center and away from the left turn out to be true.

I'm a conservative who voted for Obama because I was impressed with his intelligence, his inclusiveness, and his even temperament. I most certainly didn't vote for him for the majority of his policy positions.

So, I had mixed feelings about last night. Obama winning? GOOD. Democrats gaining so many seats? BAD. Prop 8 passing? BAD.

If he really does turn out to be a centrist then he truly will be my ideal candidate. All the personal qualities I outlined above, but without some of the more extreme liberal positions I'm not fond of... I hope he strikes a rational and reasonable balance.

Calcaneus

RubxQub said:
That's pretty fucked up, how about giving some respect to the guy who was your candidate just yesterday. I don't think Mccain will miss them, though. He wasn't exactly a Sarah Palin.

gcubed

RubxQub said:
Palin getting an invite shows that the party might not have any intentions of trying to win based on policy or philosophy, but instead on gimmickry.

i mean, its just simple numbers... there is such a huge disconnect in registered bases that there is no way the republicans can win with a candidate who SCARES AWAY independents, democrats and most women.

Pezking said:
So he could only pardon a shitload of pending executions - if he wants to?

Does he want to do this? Or is he fine with the death penalty?

Anyway, getting rid of Guantanamo would be a major step in the right direction.
I think he could commute sentences but I don't think he has any desire to do so. Obama is pretty centrist, he's not the far-left boogeyman that Rush, Hannity, O'Reilly, and others have tried to make him seem like. I don't think you'll see Obama do anything about the death penalty and if he did, it wouldn't happen until a 2nd term.

I do think he'll close down the Gitmo gulag pronto.

greepoman

artredis1980 said:
The announcement of Romney’s win was greeted by cheers from the crowd, angry over McCain’s past positions on immigration policy.

Man I hope they really keep hitting the anti-immigration rhetoric hard (ala Lou Dobbs) and alienate even more Latinos. Even Karl Rove said himself that Latinos were the future of the Republican party, so if they're alienated Repubs don't have a chance.

Zeliard

gcubed said:
the republicans cant be THAT stupid to try to push Palin in 12 can they? I mean, thats new levels of stupid

I don't see who they can possibly put out there other than Romney. Is there literally any other remotely viable candidate? Certainly not Jindal. He's Huckabee/Palin-like in his right-wing insanity.

Xisiqomelir

Tamanon said:

Well, no Rethug is a fiscal conservative, but Sarah Baby has pretty solid social conservative cred I think. She hates gays, black people, eskimos, abortions, weed and everyone left of Scarborough.

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
Calcaneus said:

Oh, and how dare the Hannity show use my Wonderwall, they are making it dirty!

From what Ive heard so far, the shit-stains have not had the decency or humility to give Obama a shred of credit for his win, and acknowledge what he's accomplished, even if only for the historical aspect, and nothing else. Its fucking pathetic. They can't give him one day of praise, without coming out with the outright attacks and mockery, then promptly trying to tear down the whole electoral process and discredit his win, a win who most objective people have expressed was a triumph of democracy. Nevermind that this was such a long journey, and such an emotional and moving moment for millions of Americans, who have never had this sort of passion towards a candidate that this guy has brought forth. No, these tools dont have the shred of humanity to at least respect the more than 50 million who worked for and voted for him, and the fact that he got an electoral blowout of epic proportions. It seems like for a few hours yesterday, everyone was coming together and it looked like there may be potential for progress on the unity front. But hey, its a new day, and these partisan shits have already started spewing their mocking vitriol. They're not worthy to lick the dirt off Obama's shoes, they they have their daily pulpits of hate where they can spread their vitriol and continue to divide this country and its decency.

This country will always be gridlocked, so long as the right wing is dedicated to tear anyone down who isn't on their 'side', at any cost.

Tamanon

Banned
RubxQub said:

And that's usually what this Conservative cabal is about, policy and philosophy. Because you have years to work on that. Palin doesn't even work on that, she doesn't even understand the philosophy of her religious conservatism's cross with social conservatism. Like in the case of abortion, she's staunchly pro-life, but recognizes a Right to Privacy, which is the entire cornerstone of the argument for why you can't make it illegal. She is more about changing the law itself to support her beliefs instead of interpreting the Constitution to support her beliefs.

JayDubya said:
Who are we talking about? Mitt Romney, the pro-abortion, pro-government healthcare governor of Massachusetts? Or Mitt Romney, the "I'm gonna quote some P. J. O'Rourke at you" primary candidate?

Guy's quite talented, charismatic, and quite smart, but politicians that define their values entirely around what helps them win don't exactly earn my respect.

I had actually read that as you comparing him to a pair of Mittens, which probably means I didn't get enough sleep or have strained my brain trying to think.

JayDubya

Banned
Tamanon said:
She is more about changing the law itself to support her beliefs instead of interpreting the Constitution to support her beliefs.

Which... is how you're supposed to do things... so what's the complaint? >_>

TDG said:
Emanuel will do a great job. Terrific choice.

Man, I can't wait until my conservative pals start criticizing Obama, and I get to spew the same bullshit they spewed at me during the Bush days about being patriotic. Hee hee.
Who's Emanuel, and what roles does the chief of staff do?

Barrett2

JayDubya said:

Guy's quite talented, charismatic, and quite smart, but politicians that define their values entirely around what helps them win don't exactly earn my respect.

I hear ya. Romney definitely has a dilemma, he is burdened by his past, but I think it is disingenuous to say that he used to believe X, now he believes Y. I think its pretty clear that he moderated his views in order to be Governor, and last year he went the other direction to scare up votes during the primaries.

I would think the 'real' Romney is somewhere in the middle, and that is why I think he could still be a great candidate. It remains to be seen if he can find an authentic 'image' though. He might not be able to overcome his problems in time for 2012.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom