PoliGAF Thread of PRESIDENT OBAMA's First 100 Out of the Way

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1


THE 44TH PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES, BARACK HUSSEIN OBAMA II.
__________________________________________________________________________

Historic, Remarkable, Astounding, Insert Grandiose Hyperbole Here
__________________________________________________________________________

Well post election night has been a curious time. America is extremely positive about Obama if the polls are anything to go by, and the transition has been one of bumps as always but overall the buzz has been positive as far as his picks have gone.

Now comes the fun!

Actually I was thinking of making this a picture of a big middle finger aimed at BUSH, 'cause I'm actually more shocked he is finally gone than that Obama is going to be president at this point, but goddamn it feels good.
__________________________________________________________________________

The Obama Administration Team...
__________________________________________________________________________

A Good Breakdown of His Choices and Positions Filled

Not much needs to be said here, they've been debated and such in the other topic.

__________________________________________________________________________

It has been fun, PoliGAF...
__________________________________________________________________________

And we'll do all again too. For now, God Bless America.

__________________________________________________________________________

Streams!

The Presidential Inaugural Committee will have a stream up for the event (stream will require Silverlight)

The Committee on Inaugural Ceremonies will have a stream of the ceremony with CC and a audio stream for the visually impaired.

C-SPAN1 (Direct Link) | C-SPAN2 (Direct Link) | C-SPAN Inauguration Hub

PBS will stream The NewsHour with Jim Lehrer starting at 11 A.M. (EST)

CNN.com Live [Flash Version Linnk, no Turner Plugin required] (Not to be confused with CNN) | Direct Links: Stream 1 | Stream 2 | Stream 3 | Stream 4

MSNBC (Stream is live); if the link is changed or it goes down, the frontpage of MSNBC.com will have the new link posted when it goes back up.

FOX News will stream a round table webcast called "The Strategy Room" (link to Strategy Room stream) and various streams of the ceremonies (not sure if this means that they'll stream the cable feed of FOX News).

Hulu is streaming the FOX News feed.

CBS will be streaming the CBS national feed. Joost will also be streaming this feed.

ABC is streaming the ABC national feed and the ABC News Now feed.

Local FOX Affiliate links (Not Fox News; not sure if any of these streams will be carrying the event): Los Angeles | Los Angeles 2 | New York City | New York City 2 | Chicago | Chicago 2 | Philadelphia | Philadelphia 2 | Boston | Boston 2 | Dallas | D.C. | D.C. 2 | Atlanta | Houston | Tampa Bay | Orlando | Orlando 2 | Phoenix | Denver | Denver 2 | St. Louis | St. Louis 2 | Milwaukee | Kansas City | Salt Lake City | Memphis | Greensboro | Austin | Austin 2 | Birmingham | Minneapolis | Detroit

Livestation is claiming they'll have streams of the following networks covering the event: Al Jazeera (English), BBC World News, C-SPAN, euronews, France 24, and Russia Today. It looks like its an application you download (Win, OS X, Linux), I've never used it so I don't know if it has any spyware... : /

Current will be streaming the event with viewer commentary via Twitter.

Ustream has setup an official stream page and is also offering beta invites (limited) to the iPhone App so iPhone users can stream it.

The Washington Post will be streaming live.

Democracy Now! will have a special Inauguration Day stream.

NPR News audio stream via WAMU 88.5.

The following sites are also supposedly going to stream it, but they haven't posted any links so I'm just posting the home page: USAToday.com, NYTimes.com, Terra (Spanish), & Terra (English)
 
#6
Virtually none of us believe in God, so your last sentence seems out of place.

Also, I will continue my campaign of long-running pessimism, thank you very much. It's been going strong for 16 years and if I'd understood more about politics back then, it would have started earlier than that.
 
#11
JayDubya said:
Virtually none of us believe in God, so your last sentence seems out of place.

Also, I will continue my campaign of long-running pessimism, thank you very much. It's been going strong for 16 years and if I'd understood more about politics back then, it would have started earlier than that.
It's ceremonial, one doesn't even need to believe in God to say "God Bless America!" I know I don't!
 
#25
Can anyone tell me when the actual swearing in and address is taking place? I want to ensure I'm watching it live and want to make plans to ensure that I'm off work during that moment. Thanks!
 
#28
Shawnwhann said:
Can anyone tell me when the actual swearing in and address is taking place? I want to ensure I'm watching it live and want to make plans to ensure that I'm off work during that moment. Thanks!
11:30 on Tuesday.
 

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
#29
Shawnwhann said:
Can anyone tell me when the actual swearing in and address is taking place? I want to ensure I'm watching it live and want to make plans to ensure that I'm off work during that moment. Thanks!
Tuesday at 1130 EST the swearing in ceremony begins for Biden and Obama, parade to follow.

Today at 230 EST is Obamas big address at the Washington monument.
 
#30
I took the day off work, and I'm going to spend it with my Dad. His health is too poor to travel to DC, so we'll watch on TV and eat some good food and enjoy history. I can't wait. :D
 
#31
Tobor said:
I took the day off work, and I'm going to spend it with my Dad. His health is too poor to travel to DC, so we'll watch on TV and eat some good food and enjoy history. I can't wait. :D
Look at it this way... I've heard reports of 3million people turing up and it will be below freezing...also MSNBC had an interesting story about how the city does not have enough porta-potties.
 
#33
StoOgE said:
Tuesday at 1130 EST the swearing in ceremony begins for Biden and Obama, parade to follow.

Today at 230 EST is Obamas big address at the Washington monument.
Thanks!

So to confirm... the only big and epic "I'm the President Now" speech is happening today while Tuesday is just the swearing in and parades...no speech?

I'm just excited and don't want to miss a moment of the awesome! :D
 
#35
Shawnwhann said:
Thanks!

So to confirm... the only big and epic "I'm the President Now" speech is happening today while Tuesday is just the swearing in and parades...no speech?

I'm just excited and don't want to miss a moment of the awesome! :D
Stooge is wrong. Inaugural address will be Tuesday after the ceremony. Then after the address they'll do the parade. Today's shindig is just a bunch of guests and musical guests.
 
#36
Fox318 said:
Look at it this way... I've heard reports of 3million people turing up and it will be below freezing...also MSNBC had an interesting story about how the city does not have enough porta-potties.
Definitely. I thought about going and staying at a friends apartment in Adams Morgan, but I'm glad now I didn't.
 
#37
new poligaf thread? WOOHOO!!!

edit: today is Obama's big party at the Lincoln memorial. lots of readings by famous people, musical guests playing music, etc. I'm missing it since i'm dog-ass sick, hopefully i'll be able to leave tomorrow morning for DC.

Obama i do believe is speaking today, it just won't be his omg awesome speech. thatll be for tuesday.
 
#44
Everyone in America is excited right now it seems. Even the Conservatives going by polling.

Wild stuff, we are about to witness one of the most important days in American history. What a time to be alive. No one can be pessimistic today, and I doubt any American is.

 
#45
Tamanon said:
Stooge is wrong. Inaugural address will be Tuesday after the ceremony. Then after the address they'll do the parade. Today's shindig is just a bunch of guests and musical guests.
Thanks for the clarification as the original info did seem a little bit off. Can't wait for Super Duper Tuesday!
 
#48
To be serious though, even if it doesn't mean much, it's really cool to see the whole country so excited about this, and it's obviously a big moment in U.S. history. Hopefully Obama's presidency can go even more smoothly than even the most optimistic have imagined.
 
#49
http://abcnews.go.com/ThisWeek/Inauguration/story?id=6674817&page=1
President-elect Barack Obama will fulfill his campaign promise and begin on Wednesday the process of withdrawing America forces from Iraq within 16 months.
On Wednesday, Obama will call in his military commanders and ask them to come back with a plan for withdrawal
so with the rumored 'start the process of closing gitmo' order, coupled with this 'get the hell out of iraq' order, both on 'day one', I'm already liking this guy.

I know things won't HAPPEN immediately, due to logistics and everything else, but having an order saying this is what we ARE in the process of doing, this is what we ARE doing, etc, is a great start.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.