• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Thread of Republican's Turn at Conventions (Palin VP - READ OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Tamanon said:
"To everyone out there trying to make your community better, FUCK YOU!":lol :lol

:lol :lol Stewart delivers.

Wallach

GrotesqueBeauty said:
That was a much better speech than anything else that I've heard at the RNC, but it was tarnished by all the speeches that lead up to it. As someone who has followed this election since last year I was also perturbed by how eagerly he co-opted some of Obama's messages, but I doubt the general public will notice that sort of thing.

Unfortunately I expect that speech to give McCain a bump in the polls. I personally saw a lot of bullshit in it, but I think it hit the right notes to resonate with the general public.

I was actually thinking the same thing. At the end I just got the feeling that it was going to come off as a pretty positive end to the event, and I kind of expect to see him get a bump from it.

Iksenpets

Banned
I have to say you guys are way too harsh on McCain. Yeah, he's not the most gifted, uplifting speaker in the world, and no, his speech didn't live up to Obama's, but he's still by far the best Republican out there. He keeps all the socially regressive bullshit his party spouts to a minimum, and sticks the the party's more defensible ideas. I really hope the party as a whole starts following his example more. I'd probably find myself leaning way less Democratic if they did. I wish he had gotten the nomination in 2000, because he deserved to win then, and yeah, he's sold out a bit to get where he is now, but he's still the same guy deep down. I'm reminded of why I liked him so much, and I admit I feel a little guilty I'm not going to be voting for him.

But then I'm reminded he picked Sarah Palin as a running mate. And I'm a little less guilty, and a little more gleeful to cast that vote.

Also, he has a horrible country song about him. That helps, too.

Diablos

saelz8 said:
He did well.
He did EXTREMELY well. He didn't even let O'Reilly fully execute his trademark bullying.
I think it's a preview into what we will see out of Obama in debates with McCain.

Also: The 9/11 "tribute" video is absolutely disgusting. Keith hit the nail right on the head. Fuck this party.

Cloudy

Banned
Guys, McCain is almost senile. If he wins, he will be a fukkin GOP puppet and nothing else.

He is a good guy and if he was younger, it might not be so alarming but he is nothing but a figurehead now...

ronito

I've never been so sorry and depressed for the speaker after. What have they done to you John? It was so confused. It's like he was two different people and then that end, "Here everyone look at my wounds." We all have personal tragedy, I've never met a person that didn't have a story that would make you cry. But to put that out there like that.

GhaleonEB

Frank the Great said:
Mathews: McCain is a "winner" and will be "ahead in the polls by next week"

I fucking TOLD you asses that they would eat this up.
Of course they would.

That speech was wandering and terribly delivered. We'll see. I don't think they're getting much of a bounce from this.

Lesath

140.85 said:
Heh. ABC/NBC/CBS went to commercial. Did they do that so quickly after Obama's speech?

Contrast. After watching McCain's speech, anything you try to sell me instantly sounds that much more interesting.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Tamanon said:
I'm starting to think the RNC actually has been pissing Jon off.:lol
He's gotta hurt since he at least used to respect McCain.

Haunted

Tamanon said:
I'm starting to think the RNC actually has been pissing Jon off.:lol
He's an upstanding, intelligent US citizen - of course he's pissed off at this RNC and the GOP in general.

Trurl

Banned
v1cious said:
i'm beginning to wonder if these random black people are planted.
I heard on NPR that there are 36 black delegates. (that number might be slightly off, but that's what I remember)

Jak140

Iksenpets said:
I have to say you guys are way too harsh on McCain. Yeah, he's not the most gifted, uplifting speaker in the world, but he's still by far the best Republican out there. He keeps all the socially regressive bullshit his party spouts to a minimum, and sticks the the party's more defensible ideas. I really hope the party as a whole starts following his example more. I'd probably find myself leaning way less Democratic if they did. I wish he had gotten the nomination in 2000, because he deserved to win then, and yeah, he's sold out a bit to get where he is now, but he's still the same guy deep down. I'm reminded of why I liked him so much, and I admit I feel a little guilty I'm not going to be voting for him.

But then I'm reminded he picked Sarah Palin as a running mate. And I'm a little less guilty, and a little more gleeful to cast that vote.

Also, he has a horrible country song about him. That helps, too.

Yeah, the Palin pick pretty much destroyed any thought that he would be a competent president in my eyes.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Atrus said:
I was going to write the same thing. The only difference is that Sean Connery got a crossbow bolt in the chest for his efforts.
THAT'S where I heard it from! I frantically tried to remember but the best I could muster was the ID4 quote.

You know, I'm as liberal as anyone on GAF, but I think you guys are underestimating how the speech will play to a broader audience. It's going to have a completely different tone to someone who hasn't been eyeball deep in election coverage up until now.

GhaleonEB said:
Of course they would.

That speech was wandering and terribly delivered. We'll see. I don't think they're getting much of a bounce from this.

We'll return to the +2-+3 Obama status quo when all the bounces peter out. Not enough outreach to indpendents in this RNC, and too much emphasis on rallying up a base that was large already behind him if you looked at polling internals.

giga

guy on pbs just made a good point. republicans have basically ceded the minority vote which will make a large difference in the electoral.

gcubed

GhaleonEB said:
Of course they would.

we will know tomorrow actually, because thats when the obama 3 point bounce day leaves... if Obama doesnt drop any tomorrow, there is no way McCain will be ahead next week

GrotesqueBeauty said:
You know, I'm as liberal as anyone on GAF, but I think you guys are underestimating how the speech will play to a broader audience. It's going to have a completely different tone to someone who hasn't been eyeball deep in election coverage up until now.

i would say that a casual observer would be more swayed by the delivery then the content. The delivery overshadowed the content unfortunately.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
mccainnewjpg.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom